Start by marking “My Neighbor Totoro” as Want to Read:
My Neighbor Totoro

My Neighbor Totoro

One of Studio Ghibli's most beloved classics, Totoro celebrates its 25th anniversary!

The beloved animation classic by legendary Studio Ghibli director Hayao Miyazaki, My Neighbor Totoro is now retold in novel form. This prestige, hardcover edition features original illustrations by Miyazaki himself, accompanying a story written by veteran children's book author Tsugiko Kub
Published October 1st 2013 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Neighbor Totoro, please sign up.
Dean I think this is a great book for a parent to read a child. I would say elementary school level. A parent could read this chapter-by-chapter, or an ele…moreI think this is a great book for a parent to read a child. I would say elementary school level. A parent could read this chapter-by-chapter, or an elementary age student with a love of reading could read it on their own. It's not quite middle grade, in my opinion, although it does touch on Japanese culture, and also a bit of grief/tragedy, so younger kids might have questions about the differences in culture (if from a different cultural background), and understanding the heavier parts of the plot.(less)
Sarah Connor this is not a comic book but has some nice watercolours (8 or 10), and they seem like storyboards from the film.

Start your review of My Neighbor Totoro
Jane
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-2013
Beautiful book. Well written. Gorgeous story. Lovely illustrations. And, despite not normally being a quotey kind of person, I fell in love with this quote:

"The rain kept falling, falling, falling….

The sound of rain was everywhere.

It plopped in the mud and splashed in the puddles, slithered down branches and tinkled from the leaf tips, a symphony of tiny notes playing and fading away endlessly."

Such a delightful book to read
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Just as sweet and gentle as the movie. The illustrations are a nice touch, though I think without the music and animation the story feels a little flat at times. The relationship between the two sisters was very well done.
Widyanto Gunadi
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Neighbor Totoro is a movie novelization of the eponymous iconic animated feature film, which stems from the creative imagination of the late master animator, Hayao Miyazaki. It follows the source material, from which it's derived, quite faithfully, albeit a few minor tweaks may be discovered here and there throughout the tale. Although the book was meant for and geared specifically towards young children, some portions of the writings can sometimes be found, to a fixed extent, metaphorical, a ...more
Amy
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
My second book read today while we're stuck in a storm with no power, woooop! This was sweet as a novelisation of one of my favourite childhood movies but also fantastic as a middle grade novel in its own right. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, so j can't really say how accurate this is as an adaptation, but I really feel like it captured the spirit and magic of the beautiful movie. My favourite line totally deserves a mention: 'The rice plants were so green it almost made you want t ...more
Sarah Knope
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just love Totoro.
Nina
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book read #20

Satsuki, Mei and Tatsuo (their father) moved to a country side to get closer to the girls' mother, Yasuko, who'd been in a sanatorium due to an illness for a year. They moved to an old house that had spirits inside.
Those three really struggled in their new house. Satsuki learned how to cook traditionally, to keep the house clean and everything in order. Tatsuo had to go to university (he's a professor) very early since it's farther than when they lived in Tokyo.
One day, Mei met To
Dessa Mae
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorable and fun to read.
There were some differences with the movie, but this book offered more info about the characters, which I really liked. I just wish Totoro was more present. The scene on the cover was not even in the book!
Chris Greensmith
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
"You're such a baby! Just grow up!" If you have seen the film then you have read the book. I have this an extra star because of the actual book itself, a lovely hardback, great illustrations, and compact. If you have kids or like kids then this would be a good story to read them, but as I say pretty much the film...3 🌟
Karen Mace
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite films by Studio Ghibli so of course I'm going to love the book version! A beautiful book inside and out!

A simple but magical story of the bond between a family and enjoying the simple things in life - helped by giant fluffy creatures who like umbrellas!
Mikayla
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me preface this by saying that My Neighbor Totoro is definitely a children's book. However, I think every adult should read it. The story has been a favorite of mine since I was very young. I remember watching Fox's dubbed-version over and over, loving the every day place magic seemed to find in the plot. This novel is a little different than the story I grew up with, but it is no less extraordinary. It asks the adult reader to remember what life was like as a child, when we looked at the wo ...more
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3,5 stars. What an adorable read :) I really enjoyed it but I wish there had been more of Totoro in it. I will admit to never having watched this film - definitely feel like watching it now
S.Q. Eries
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-novel
Lia Ung
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who haven't seen the movie
Shelves: 2015
When I first saw this book I was very OHMYGOD-JUMP-UP-AND-DOWN-TOTOROOOO. I still felt that way when I started reading, both because I love the My Neighbour Totoro movie, but also because the book itself is really beautiful and kinda magical with pictures in it and on the cover. So I was really looking forward to reading it but it soon became clear that the book is not really like the movie.

This is a movie-to-book adaptation, which I have never read before. In most cases when a book become movie
Fi's Journey
My Neighbour Totoro is one of my favourite Studio Ghibli films, so when I saw it at Waterstones in book format (which I didn't know existed!) I instantly had to pick it up. It would be fun to re-watch the film afterwards to see the differences.

My favourite scenes from the film are not in here! How disappointing! That's why I give it only 3.5 stars as I still liked the story for what is was.

I think the translation wasn't always on point. Some sentences were weird to read.

One major thing I n
Zoe
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My Neighbor Totoro by Tsugiko Kubo is a great book based on the movie My Neighbor Totoro. Sisters Satsuki and Mei are moving from Tokyo to Matsugo, a small town in the Japanese country side. Their mother has been sick with tuberculosis and the hospital she needs to stay at is closer to Matsugo than Tokyo. They move into a western styled house and have heard that it is haunted. The sisters soon meet a forest spirit called Totoro and when Mei goes missing Satsuki needs the help of her magical frie ...more
Ajay
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: translations
As sweet and enthralling as the film it is based on, you can't read this delightful book without a big smile on your face.
Charlotte Holmans
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much! A wonderful story!
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
Mei, Satsuki, and their father, Tatsuo, move into a crumbling old house in the country in order to be closer to the sanatorium where their mother, Yasuko, is recovering from tuberculosis. The girls adapt to their new rural life pretty quickly, although four-year-old Mei doesn't respond well to being left with their neighbor while Tatsuo is at work and Satsuki is at school.

Both girls realize there's something a little strange about their house when they first arrive. They briefly spot little be
Beth Jones
I can't even begin to tell you how lovely this book was. I found it so comforting! I started watching Studio Ghibli movies a few years ago, and they really hold a special place in my heart. I've come to love the franchise, and when I saw this book I knew I'd want to pick it up. I wasn't wrong in adding it to my TBR, I got through it in just a day and I adored it!

"The rain kept falling, falling, falling…."

If you're a fan of the movie like I am, this book is definitely worth the read. Told mostly
Tatiana Dengo
This book is the cutest thing ever and reading it is like a warm hug, or a cozy summer afternoon. The author uses a tender, descriptive language that is quite successful at bringing the beauty of the movie to mind, to the point that you don't even miss the movie and you don't even want to say one is better than the other. They compliment each other beautifully. If you liked the movie, you'll like this too. If you haven't watched the movie, I'd still recommend you watch it first, because this isn ...more
lucy  black
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My little beasty and I thoroughly enjoyed this novelisation of My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki and Tsugiko Kubo. It’s such a great story and Kubo really fills it out into a well rounded, meditative classic. It’s a beautiful object and Our family treasures it. I’d highly recommend you read it aloud to someone you love.
Amanda at Nerdification Reviews
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great for fans of the movie, but definitely aimed at a young reader. Not as descriptive & magical as I had hoped as a result. ...more
Freya
Review to come :)
Rebecca
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I mean, it's just so gosh darn adorable!
Mashed Potato
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: azn
read as part of the 2020 Asian readathon!

fluffy and warm. a perfect book to get me through this pandemic.
Krystal Caracol
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
My 9yo daughter read this to me, it was cute and mystical, but the movie version has more magical vibes :)
Megan
I don't even know where to begin. This book is perfect. It so wonderfully captures the spirit of Miyazaki's beloved film, but it also stands very well on its own. It is every bit whimsical, magical, dreamlike, and spooky in the cutest possible ways. I'm going to watch the movie again tomorrow, now that I have had this expanded experience from reading the novel. I adore this book and will read it many more times in the future. I wish I had read it sooner.
Sara
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a nice addition to the movie! Got me super excited to rewatch 😍 and the added artworks have something so soft
Meekachii
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute middle grade novel. It was very close to the movie and gave some insight to a few things that I wish were better explained in the movie. However, I feel some of the magical elements were lost in text that the movie brings out. I’d definitely say I like the movie better.
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
Satsuki and Mei move to a "haunted house" in the country to be closer to their mother, who is residing in the hospital with an illness. After Mei discovers a forest guardian spirit named Totoro, in the nearby woods, Satsuki is desperate to meet him as well.

Not having seen the film, I can't say whether or not this is a faithful retelling of the film, but on its own it is a delightful story about two sisters and their move to a new, rural village. As I was reading I was reminde
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Future Teachers, ...: Nathan Richards Review #2 1 5 Sep 23, 2016 09:14PM

• My Neighbor Totoro 1
  • Spirited Away (Roman Album)
  • Oof! Didn’t see ya!
  • Random Chat
  • Japanese Ghost Stories
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Drifting Dragons, Vol. 1
  • Memes: Amazing Meme - Funny Book Of Funny Memes (Memes Book)
  • また、同じ夢を見ていた