Start by marking “The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)” as Want to Read:
The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)

The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  33 reviews
One simple act, and the troubles of the United Federation of Planets have grown darker overnight. The mystery behind the heinous terrorist attack that has rocked the Federation to its core grows ever deeper, and William Riker finds himself beset by rumors and half-truths as the U.S.S. Titan is ordered back to Earth on emergency orders from the admiralty. Soon, Riker finds ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published November 26th 2013 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about The Poisoned Chalice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poisoned Chalice

This is the fourth novel in the book event of Star Trek known as The Fall where characters of the spin-offs of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are the pivotal players of the story. Even in this book, you can say that Voyager is represented since Tuvok appears that now he is a crewmember of the USS Titan. As I commented in previous books of this event, the story is 10 years later of the finale of DS9 TV series and 6 years later of Star Trek: Nemesis theatrical film.

The event had an ambiva
Words can't describe how great I thought this book was. The books in the fall series keep getting better and better and thus one was no exception. The politics, actions, and in depth of the characters and storyline of this entry of The Fall series is a great addition! Looking forward to the conclusion!
Absolutely stellar. I thought that I had already figured out what the best Star Trek novel of 2013 would be. Now, I'm not so sure. James Swallow has advanced the story of The Fall in an extremely compelling way. I found myself staying awake into the wee hours saying "just one more chapter" over and over again. Well done. Dayton Ward certainly has his work cut out for him in the conclusion! I can't wait to see how this all turns out. 5 out of 5, would read again!

Full review: http://treklit.blogsp
Patrick Carlin
I finished this book in one evening, it is THAT good! I could NOT put it down! Always keeping you guessing as to what the heck is going on, why it's going on and what's going to happen next. I highly recommend it to my fellow Trekkies!
You can read the full review over at my blog:

Star Trek: The Fall has proven to be a most enjoyable event series from all that I’ve read. My interest was piqued because of the cover to Una McCormack’s Crimson Shadow, and diving into the four-part series with David R. George III’s Revelation and Dust proved to be a good place to get back into the status quo of Star Trek tie-in novel fiction. The nature of these books, taking a look at several major character
Cameron James
This was the fourth entry in the five-book series, The Fall. It was a damn good read, even if it didn’t quite measure up to the three novels prior. That slight shortfall, I believe, has more to do with my Star Trek preferences more than the actual quality of the book. Though this is titled as part of The Fall, it is essentially a Titan book, and I sometimes struggle with the Titan novels due to the tone and feel of them. However, Swallow did an excellent job — this truly and deeply felt like a T ...more
Paul Lunger
The 4th book in the "Star Trek: The Fall" series, James Swallow's "The Poisoned Chalice" continues the stunning events in this series & this time does so via the crew of the Titan. In this installment, the Titan is recalled back to Earth where Riker is summarily promoted to admiral as he learns that all is not what it seems within the halls of Starfleet Command & with the assassination of President Bacco. In this capacity we learn a bit more about the concerns that Admiral Akaar has been ...more
Sean Randall
As with all the rest of the series I hadn't followed the characters through. I think I was aware that Riker had the Titan, but apart from that hadn't really met any of the crew, with the exception of Pazlar and of course Tuvok. Still, I enjoyed the progression of what has woven together to be an interesting series, and will look forward to see how it all comes together.
OUTSTANDING! This book had it all,...action/adventure, political intrigue, some interesting character development & the author was spot on in the character accuracy department. Also the author did a great job of bringing the previous Fall novels together & advancing story. I really loved this book & I'm definitely going to have to check out James Swallow's previous entry's into the ST universe, & I am looking forward to more. This is one of my favorite ST novels of all & I hi ...more
Patrick Hayes
This is the second book in The Fall, a five book Star Trek series. I -- stupidly -- read the final book in this series first some time ago and was completely lost. I've since gone out and purchased all the other books, including this one, so I can read them in order to see if they made more sense. And, yes, it helps to read a series in order (Duh!).

The book focuses on three characters, all from the U.S.S. Titan. The first is on Riker, who's been promoted to Rear Admiral after the assassination o
Krista D.
Another outstanding book in The Fall series. The Federation and Starfleet are splitting apart and it's so great to see familiar faces stand against that.

What I love most about this and the previous couple of books is that we're not seeing the traditional Starfleet heroes boldly giving their lives for the greater good. Instead, we see them risking even more - their careers, their friends, their families, their reputations.

Bashir really did set into motion a chain of events that might be unstoppa
I am not a fan of the Titan series - I've tried two of the other books and just haven't gotten into them. Thankfully this is more than just the Titan crew being their normal boring selves.

At this point it's easy to see that the new Federation president is up to something, but that's about it. Here Riker, his crew, and a few others work to unravel the mystery at the head of the government, and the story is really entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised.

Minor spoiler - (view spoiler)
John Carter McKnight
This series, The Fall, has been remarkably uneven in quality, ranging from unreadably terrible to okay to outstanding. The Poisoned Chalice isn't as excellent as Uma McCormick's The Crimson Shadow, but it's really very good.

The Star Trek novels have been focusing for some time on political intrigue at various levels, from grand strategy to West Wing-like maneuvering. This book deftly combines both, looking at black ops, extraordinary rendition, secret prisons, and the whole panoply of contempor
This novel takes the events in the epilogue of The Poisoned Chalice, book three in this series, and turns them on their head. The Poisoned Chalice ends with a bit of a Happily-Ever-After-for-Everyone-but-Bashir and this book takes that and turns it into a spy thriller.

There are three storyiines running concurrently in the book: Tuvok, Nog and Tom Riker on a clandestine Mission, Will and Deanna Riker on Earth (mostly) and Christine Vale in command of her own vessel. All three are wrapped around t
A surprisingly entertaining read about political intrigue. It takes a page from House of Cards and does an excellent job reflecting the failures at the heart of our own government. It has all the classic cloak and dagger aspects, if somewhat predictable. It is especially poignant with the stuff going on in Ukraine.
I really enjoyed this, it's refreshing to see not only a major crossover event like this but one that is written so well and captures all of the characters perfectly, plus a plot filled with so much intrigue and tension as well.
Daniel Kukwa
Good lord, the books that make up "The Fall" are giving me a "Star Trek" heart attack in the most delicious way -- they are exhilarating, poignant, and mind-bending. "The Poisoned Chalice" is no exception, as the forces of good (for lack of a better term) finally begin to line up against the darkness that is encroaching on the ideals of the Federation. I'm now especially fond of USS Titan's first officer, who deserves her own ship, crew, and book series. I'm less enamored with the copy editor, w ...more
I didn't skim as much of this book as I thought I would, nor did I find the *Odd Couple* pairing of Nog and Tuvok to be as forced and contrived as I suspected.
Laurie Kazmierczak
An enjoyable read tracing the political backgrounds of Starfleet. Engaging and face paced. Fans of Riker will appreciate this one.
I am conflicted by this book. Much like I've been conflicted by this entire arc of books. The beginning had me questioning where the author was actually going with it, then I got into it, and found it difficult to put down. Then the action just stopped. The climax of the book just ... wasn't, and there was no resolution at all, just more questions. I can see that it's leading straight into the final book, but I feel it could have been handled more elegantly.
A five book story arc to tell a story that might have been better in 3. We'll see.

Good enough for light reading but not an awesome book or story
Ron Turner
I dunno. A lot of folks are raving about this series. But it just seems to be copying the "A Time To" books.

Having said that, it is a nice quick read. I was entertained.
Jon Johnson
This is one of the best Star Trek books I have read in a long time. The ending left me wanting more.
The prose is readable, but falls back too often on the "you humans have a saying..." construct as a way of putting an english cliche in the mouth of an alien.

The plot would be interesting, but most of the book reads like a summary of events that happened off-stage, so it drains away the sense of drama.

The story was good, and now I must finish the series - but I didn't like this author's tone nearly as much as the previous two in the series. There were quite a few characters that as they popped back up again I was like "who is this?"

I did really enjoy the Tuvok, Nog and Tom Riker interactions.
I'm REALLY liking the new Trek verse. It's very dark and complex and raises lots of great ethical questions. I think I'm going to have to re-read all the various series relaunch books again, even though some were written like bad fan fiction. But they all lead up to this series, which fucking rocks.
Cloak and dagger up the wazoo!
Not a normal Star Trek book, at least to me. I did find it to be a good book. There were some things that I thought were hoping to happen, that didn't. And things happened that I did not expect. Can't wait to see how they wrap up the series.
  • A Ceremony of Losses (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • Takedown (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)
James Swallow is a British author and scriptwriter, a New York Times Bestseller and BAFTA nominee. He is the author of over thirty-five original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes The Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 4
More about James Swallow...

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
The Flight of the Eisenstein Nemesis Fear to Tread Doctor Who: Peacemaker Deus Ex: Icarus Effect