Start by marking “Inherit the Dead” as Want to Read:
Inherit the Dead

Inherit the Dead

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,001 ratings  ·  217 reviews
TWENTY THRILLING WRITERS. ONE CHILLING MYSTERY.

More than twenty New York Times bestselling authors team up to create a first-rate serial novel—a collaboration among some of the most popular mystery and thriller writers in the English-speaking world today, producing a “well-told mystery that stands on its own two (or 40) feet” (Booklist).

Reader
Published October 8th 2013 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Inherit the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inherit the Dead

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was really neat. I don't think I have ever read a book that had seperaye chapters written by totally different authors. Twenty, in fact. This was a good old crime who-done-it mystery. I enjoyed it. Some authors were better than others but the story flowed well together.
Nurse Lisa in Ohio
Title: Inherit the Dead
Author(s): see the above list for all 20(!!) names! :)
Published: 2013
Genre: mystery, fiction, thriller, crime, anthology, law enforcement, private detective, proceeds go to charity. (Some swearing, though not much. Some violence - murder - adult innuendos but no sex).
Format: ebook via Samsung Galaxy 4 Nook ereader
Read: June, 2015

NOTE: proceeds from the sale of this anthology are donated to charitable organization: Safe Horizon. Safe Horizon is (VERY SUMMARIZED) a victim's
Beth
What a marvelous idea. Twenty well known mystery/suspense writers, each writing a chapter to create a cohesive mystery and then donating the proceeds to Safe Horizon!

I was amazed at how seamlessly the story flowed but what would you expect from such a fabulous line up of authors.

Perry Christo was forced out of the police department after a corruption scandal. Now a few years later he has a successful private investigation business.

Julia Drusilla calls Perry, claiming that her daughter, Angelina
Jerry
We’ll admit to picking up this book because Lee Child’s name was linked to it. We first thought it was an anthology of short crime stories, only to discover it was a single novel of 20 chapters, one each of which was written by a published author in support of a charitable effort that supports victims of crimes known as Safe Horizon (as explained in a brief afterword). Lee’s contribution was a rather skimpy two-page introduction that basically patted the twenty authors on the back for being nice ...more
Kristen
This was a disappointment for me. I didn't finish it.

Several of the reviews noted the differences in writing style due to the fact that each chapter of this book being written by a different author. Some other reviewers had a problem with that, but that wasn't my issue, and the differences in style didn't bother me, possibly because I listened to this on audiobook so the style shifts weren't as noticeable as if I'd been reading a paper book.

My problem with this book was two-fold:

1) there wasn't
Bill Mackela
This was a fun book to read because the authors seemed to be having a ball writing it. Each of the authors would write a chapter, most of the time leaving some sort of a cliffhanger or a tight squeeze that the next author would have to work out a solution for. In the first half of the book each author would introduce a new player in the story. Then once everyone was known the authors would mix it up, so they might not be the person that you thought they were at first. And of course, they all bri ...more
Bobbi
This was an unexpected surprise at my library but after reading the names of those involved with this collaboration I was willing to give this a shot.

Each chapter is written by a different author on the same story line. Perry, disgraced cop now PI, is hired to find Angelina "Angel" Loki. Even I, not aware of my Norse mythology and comic superheroes, have seen "Thor" and i know that Loki is a liar and trickster.

The first few chapters were rather boring and weren't holding my attention. In fact, I
Matt
Perry Christo has tried to carve out a life for himself after a disgraceful exit from the NYPD. Surviving as a PI, Christo is called to a socialite's apartment for his next assignment; to find her missing daughter. After discovering young Angelina 'Angel' Loki has been missing for upwards of two weeks, Christo must begin that much further behind when it comes to his investigation. As he follows leads and tries to interview those who knew Angel well, he discovers that there are many who have a me ...more
Richard Ward
20 chapters, each written by a different popular crime novelist. Any given reader will know some of the names better than others. The finished product is less like a modern thriller, more like a classic hard-boiled/noir detective story. I was expecting a thriller, somehow, but was glad to get this instead.

A NYPD homicide detective is fired from the job and becomes a private eye. A rich Manhattan socialite hires him to find her missing daughter. He quickly learns that this is more than just a mi

Wendy Apps
Interesting. I wonder if the various writers had an overall brief. Each chapter is written by a different author to make one story but it is not exactly seamless. You can easily tell the different writing styles and sometimes those styles are so different that it seems like a completely different story or character they are writing about.
Ray Palen
Crime writer and former prosecutor Linda Fairstein helped to found a group called Safe Horizon in 1978. This organization provides support and promotes justice for victims of crime and abuse. Her involvement in this serial anthology, INHERIT THE DEAD, includes the proceeds gained from its sale donated to aid in the great work Safe Horizon continues to do for victims and their families.

Jonathan Santlofer, himself a best-selling crime writer as well as renowned artist, had the unenviable task of n
Jill Manske
What a unique idea - one story, 20 chapters, 20 different crime writers. It's not the best book I've ever read, but it's a compelling story, if a bit disjointed. The problem is that each of the 20 authors has a different (in same cases, VERY different) writing style. So, although they follow the thread of the story, carrying it along to its conclusion, each of them writes in his/her own way. That can make the overall storyline feel a little choppy. (I can only imagine what it was like pre-editin ...more
Bookmom
Perry Christo is a former homicide detective who was forced out of his job due to a corruption scandal years ago, also losing his family at the same time. Now years later, he’s working as a private investigator. A very rich reclusive woman hires Perry to find her daughter who hasn’t been seen in the last couple of weeks. She needs to sign papers on her 21st birthday in order to get an inheritance from her grandparents. And no, she doesn’t want the police involved. So begins an investigation thro ...more
Cheryl M-M
One plot, one story and twenty writers, twenty acclaimed crime writers I might add.
Having multiple authors contribute to an multiple story anthology tends to work better than having them write a chapter each for a one-story book. The anthology gives each person a chance to show their individual ideas. In this case it made the story seem like the main character was suffering from a case of multiple personalities. One writer would write Perry with a slowpoke depressive attitude and the next with a
Lauren
I received this book through the Goodreads Firstreads program.

This book has a lot going for it. Each chapter is written by an established author. The proceeds go to a good non-profit organization. It's a classic missing persons case filled with money. It reads fast and easy.

I never expected it to flow so well. Despite being written by 20 different authors, it is a cohesive mystery. I don't like to discuss plot in reviews because that is available on the book page. At first, I was worried it was
Luanne Ollivier
At first glance, I thought that Inherit the Dead was a collection of short stories from some of my favourite authors. (20 of them to be exact) Upon closer inspection I realized that it was one story, a serial novel, with each chapter written by a different author. And that there was a purpose behind the compilation - monies raised go to support Safe Horizon - an organization championed by Linda Fairstein.

Perry Christo is a disgraced former cop turned P.I. When a wealthy 'uptown' woman summons
Gary
An interesting concept, a thriller novel with each chapter written by a different writer. Some well known writers such as John Connelly, Mark Billingham, Val McDermid and Lisa Unger along with other lesser known make a good stab at making this charity novel work but I don't think they quite pulled it off. I had a few preconceived ideas before I read this book that it would not flow very well with all the individual contributions but I don't think that was an issue. It just didn't have a strong e ...more
Trish
Great concept, good writing, but the story and characters are lacking. As the book progressed, I found myself losing interest. I like a good mystery. With the format used here, the flow was choppy and the plot seemed cobbled together. You can easily identify the hood or twist that dictates where the plot was headed. You would think that with so much talent, it would be a great book. It's a neat premise and a good hook for a fundraiser, but for this reader, it was just an okay read.
Minty McBunny
Interesting idea, but really uneven (as one would expect) and the plot turned out to be pretty predictable, which makes sense since they all had to work together toward an unknown goal. Not terrible, but certainly not an ideal example of any of these authors' work.
Tom
When I first heard about this book written by over 20 different authors I had my doubts. While I am a fan of many of the authors who contributed a chapter to this book I was not sure how they could manage to create a smooth flowing storyline with each chapter written by another author. I decided to give it a chance as I do like many of the authors and I was pleasantly surprised. In most of the chapters it was difficult to spot the hand off from one author to the next. The story line holds your i ...more
Dana
Pretty good compilation of suspense writers. Even though it remained the same storyline throughout the book, you could tell the subtle difference of techniques of the various authors. Which actually made it more interesting to me, because I found myself concentrating on trying to notice the subtle differences in style. The storyline itself was fairly interesting, and they were all successful in keeping the flow of the story going through all the changing of the writers.
John Rosenman
Can Twenty Good Writers Write One Good Book?

John B. Rosenman

Yes, they can, and they do it in Inherit The Dead. Fortunately, this is no deliberately trashy, collaborative bestseller like 1969’s Naked Came the Stranger written by twenty-four journalists (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_C....)
This classic noir tale about a PI hired to locate a rich, icy matron’s daughter named Angel features twenty chapters by twenty well-known authors, and it is edited by Jonathan Santlofer and introduced
Doris
This is not the first story collaboration I have read, but it is one of the most seamless, as the various authors take Perry Christo into and through a series of confusing events, as he searches for a missing Heiress. He has a short deadline, and his client, the missing girls mother, does too, as she is dying and wants to be reconciled with her daughter - at least that is what she says.

Is she lying about dying? Is she ill or just a skilled actress? (view spoiler)
Eric
This was okay. It is the first time I have tried one of the collaborative novels. At times it seemed like it dragged and at times it was fine. Not sure if it was because of the story line or dealing with the way each author wrote their chapter in their style.
Rosemary
Interesting that 10(?) authors wrote a chapter each. I don't know how that worked. All in all it was a good book. The downside for me was (1) I knew who the killer was much earlier than the Detective, and (2) I thought the entire book was too pedantic, too much repetition and unnecessary detail. I think this could easily have been streamlined to be a short story. BUT, I was introduced to some new writers and look forward to diving into their books.
Diane
Good idea for a good cause, just an ok book. 20 popular crime/thriller writers each collaborate to write a chapter to tell one story in this book. Proceeds (after expenses/compensation) go to Safe Horizon, an organization that helps those who are victims of abuse.
An ex-cop who was framed as corrupt and kicked off the force 6 years ago is now a private detective who is flawed in his personal life but is good at his job. I think the story tries to come off noir, but it's noir-lite. The story does
Corrie Haffly
Book flowed really well, a testament to good editing and collaboration between the many authors. Story was a bit predictable.
Bandit
In general I have fairly low expectations for the audio books, I hold them to a different standard than the books I actually read. Audio books to me are just light entertainment, something to walk/bike to, nothing too deep, nothing one would need to rewind due to street noise, nothing to get too lost in. Going by such a low criteria this book more or less served its purpose. Actually reading this one would have been a waste of time. The concept is intriguing enough, a bunch of best selling popul ...more
Michael
There's nothing particularly noteworthy about a disgraced and jaded ex-cop, turned private investigator, taking a case for a woman whose wealth is rivaled only by her eccentricity and her secrets. There's something slightly noteworthier about 20 of the most eminent names in crime fiction taking turns telling the story of that disgraced and jaded ex-cop, and that's where Inherit the Dead plants its flag.

Collaborative fiction is hardly a new concept, but carrying it out on the scope of Inherit the
Amanda Barrett
Twenty bestselling authors, each contributing a chapter to an overarching storyline about a former NYPD cop, Perry Christo, who is hired by a wealthy socialite Julia Drusilla to find her missing daughter, who is soon set to inherit a fortune, is the premise of the book Inherit the dead. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for the impressive catalogue of writers soon fell flat after I began to read this book. I persisted, as I had faith in some of the authors, hoping that their individual writing style ...more
  • Wild Card (Tony Valentine #0.5)
  • Last Shot (Tim Rackley #4)
  • No Rest for the Dead
  • Cross My Heart -- Free Preview -- The First 14 Chapters
  • Cold Snap (Lucy Kincaid #7)
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • The Last Whisper in the Dark (Terrier Rand, #2)
  • Silencing Eve (Eve Duncan, #18)
  • Penance: A Chicago Thriller
  • Hostage (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #14)
  • Wounded Prey: Introducing Detectives Farrell and Kearns (Ferrell & Kearns, #1)
  • You Belong To Me
  • The Templeton Twins Make a Scene (Templeton Twins, #2)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Exit Strategy (EXIT Inc., #1)
  • Backwoods Boogie
  • Unstoppable: Love with the Proper Stranger\Letters to Kelly
  • The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1)
190058
Jonathan Santlofer is the author of five novels and a highly respected artist whose work has been written about and reviewed in the New York Times, Art in America, Artforum, and Arts, and appears in many public, private, and corporate collections. He serves on the board of Yaddo, one of the oldest artist communities in the country. Santlofer lives and works in New York City.
More about Jonathan Santlofer...
The Death Artist (Kate McKinnon, #1) Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1) Color Blind (Kate McKinnon, #2) The Murder Notebook (Nate Rodriguez, #2) The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)