Start by marking “The Adversary (The Sundering, #3; Brimstone Angels, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Adversary (The Sundering, #3; Brimstone Angels, #3)

The Adversary

(The Sundering #3)

In the 3rd book of the multi-author SUNDERING series kicked off by New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore, the award-winning Erin M. Evans throws her signature character Farideh into a maelstrom of devilish politics and magical intrigue. Captured by Netherese agents and locked away in a prison camp, Farideh quickly discovers her fellow prisoners are not simply ...more
Published December 3rd 2013 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Adversary, please sign up.
Liz H {Redd's Reads} It is my understanding that you do not need to read the previous Brimstone Angels books by Evans to enjoy this one. It fits into the Sundering series…moreIt is my understanding that you do not need to read the previous Brimstone Angels books by Evans to enjoy this one. It fits into the Sundering series as the third volume and expands on that more than Farideh.(less)

Start your review of The Adversary (The Sundering, #3; Brimstone Angels, #3)
Shadowdenizen
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: d-d-novels
Not much development for Farideh (but that may be a side-effect of being part of a "RSE" (Realms-Shaking-Event, which happens in every edition of the Forgotten Realms D+D RPG.)

But at least we learn a little about the Sundering event (which is basically just to upgrade the Forgotten Realms fiction from 4E to 5E.)
Margaret Fisk
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally published at Tales to Tide You Over

This is the third of the Sundering series I’ve read, and I’m thinking it comes in as my favorite. We’re thrust into disaster after disaster from the very start because the main focus is on a tiefling, Farideh, who never looks before she leaps, so determined to do what’s right that she doesn’t take the time to think things through. Of course, she’s rarely given the time she needs either. Then there’s the Harper Dahl who comes with a history rich with
Stephanie Morrow
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
You can find this review and others on The Nomadic Reader.

Book three in The Sundering series was a welcome change from the incredible doom and gloom that I felt in the first two books. You’re introduced to two tiefling, Farideh and her sister Havilar. While the book is third in the series you’re more than welcome to read it out of order, the books (like the previous ones) only loosely tie together (they all take place in the same ‘world’). The world is still filled with doom and gloom but there
Dianne
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
An epic series, epic authors, dark fantasy that is detailed and deep, book three of The Sundering, The Adversary by Erin M. Evans is following in step with its predecessors! , Farideh is drawn into a world of deceit, magic and mayhem as she is taken prisoner in Netheril, only to discover that the Chosen of the gods are being held and exploited for their secret powers. Will she make it out alive? Can she be rescued? Can she trust those who claim to be her ally? Is this one more time the fates ...more
Daphne
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audio
This is a helluva a good series in the FR universe. I really enjoy Evan's writing style, and the book narration is great. Highly recommend this series for any FR fans or those that just dig good fantasy.
Kiernan
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
tw: self harm
Dr. Trent
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
In reading Erin Evans contribution to the The Sundering series, her book The Adversary turned out to be a mixed bag. Evans does a masterful job of sharing setting and action with the reader through her use of imagery and choice of diction. Her character development however is a long and painful process that detracts from the plot as a whole.
In the opening of the book, as well as at several points throughout the book, Evans does a superb job of using all five senses to create a tableaux vivant
Star Bookworm
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I am getting a little more settled with this series. Ms. Evans did a better job pulling the plot lines that came before her into her installment. This book really felt like it was supposed to be one of the series while being a standalone story. However, (don't you just hate those) I stumbled to get into this story from a writing perspective. Paul Kemp so far has had the best writing.

For this installment, I was back to the internet for research on the vast races that appear in the D&D
Jonathan
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorite
The Adversary by Erin M. Evans is one of the more frustrating and infuriating fantasy novels I have ever read, even other Dungeons and Dragons novels. That's a good thing. In fact, it is a very good thing.
Evans turns everything you think you know about Farideh and Havilar on the head and leads you through a series of twists and turns that keep you riveted and anxious. Some of these twists are expected, but some take you by surprise and may cause you to tear frantically back through the pages you
Maxine
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Adversary is the third book in the multi-author Sundering epic fantasy series. Like the previous two books, this is the first I have read by this author and also like the first two books, it continues the story of characters from another series by the author. As a result, it took me a while to orient myself and really get into the tale.

However, unlike the previous two books in this series, The Adversary felt like once I got to know the characters a bit, I wasn’t as handicapped by lack of
Cheryl M-M
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The third in the Sundering event and it is getting better book by book.
Farideh and Havilar are heirs to a very powerful warlock and because of this they are very important to all demons from the Underworld. The twin sisters couldn't be more different and some of the decisions made by Farideh threaten to break their tight bond. It is irrelevant why she makes those choices, because in the end everyone perceives her deeds to be those of traitor.
The two women also have romantic interactions going on
Dj
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the third book in the Sundering series, but you don't have to read the first two in order to enjoy this one.

As with the other books, the theme of the story is Forgotten Realms/D & D, a sub-genre (if you want to consider it as such) of fantasy/sci-fi. The three books do have some interrelated parts, but not to the extent you must read all three to understand what is going on-this is a standalone story, and can be read as such.

Out of the three released so far, this was probably my
MartyAnne
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it

As near as I can tell, the books of the Sundering are united by one thing only: each a stanza of prophecy in the place called Faerun. Different authors and different players, all in a world full of Gods, godlings, and those plotting to become godlings -- and the demon counterparts of the same.

Faith in a god, when in Faerun, imparts some magic to the believer. In each book, this is manifestly different. Faerun might be a world or a universe, when you
Jim
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
While this is the third book in The Sundering series, it's also the continuation of the series of stories Erin M. Evans told with these characters before. As such, it's entirely possible there are plenty of other readers like me who had never read any of her other stories and are only reading this one because they started the series with the first entry by R. A. Salvatore. Unfortunately, it seems no one told Evans that, as the first third or so of this book is a jumbled mess of poorly-explained ...more
Steve Mumford
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Erin M. Evans' latest Brimstone Angels novel is also the third in WotC's world-shaking event called The Sundering, and The Adversary does a brilliant job of bringing those storylines together and driving them forward. Readers of the previous Brimstone Angels books will feel shoulder-to-shoulder with the characters from the outset, but Erin has done a marvellous job of welcoming new readers into the fold without any awkward story-slowing blocks of exposition; the book starts at a cracking pace ...more
Brandon L. Hatcher
A dialogue heavy fantasy themed romance novel

Let me start by saying I have not read much of this author. I typically stick to Ed Greenwood, R.A. Salvatore, Richard Byer, Patricia Briggs, Paul Kemp, and Curtis Jobling. I mention the authors because it is important to understand my background before I start my review. I didn't care for this book. I found it to be dialogue heavy without much substance. The two main characters were annoying and constantly complaining about their situation. They
George Ramos
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Third book of The Sundering series left me with mixed feelings. First, there were way too many details that were lost on me throughout the book, all the way through the very end. Lots of names (particularly from the Hells) that mean nothing to someone who just met these characters.

Second, there is way too much "teen angst" in this book. Does he love me, do I love him, how can we love each other, etc. It's minimal, but this isn't my thing.

Finally, on a positive note, I loved exploring this
Brian
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was a struggle to finish. It took me three times as long to complete because it was so bad! It was as if I were given bits and pieces of a much larger book that passed as this one novel. I know there are more books in the series by the author, but you can't just write a novel assuming that the reader has read them already. The story was so freaking convoluted it made no sense. I just power read through the last hundred pages just to finish it!
Maxyne Haybron
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
There are way too many characters in this book for me to keep track of!
Not real happy with this one. :/
fasz
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just use a damn glove, you imbecile. My thoughts on the book.

This was my impression after the first couple pages: "I hate tieflings and not that interested in warlocks and infernal stuff, but so far, this is not half bad! Decent writing, good characterization, adult microthemes, believable reactions. It shows that it was written by a woman.
If it keeps up, I might just have to check out Erin's other books! We'll see how decent her DnD is."

Boy oh boy how it changed by the end.

It was extremely
Leslie V
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I gave this story two stars, which, actually, made me rather sad. I really enjoy Evans' prose, and her characters, but this book fell flat, especially if you came into it on the heels of Lesser Evils (Brimstone Angels #2). I read the series in sequence, and the reason the Adversary really disappointed me, was because I don't feel any character has transitioned beyond their original archetype... at least not enough for my liking.

The story consists of Farideh making multiple decisions without any
Ingvild
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy and FR Devils
Perhaps closer to 4.5/5, but I'm rounding up to 5 to support the book.

Because this is truly an awesome novel. It's only my second Forgotten Realms novel, but it was such a fresh breath after The Crystal Shard. Finally women exist, and do things apart from running away in fear and getting fucked by men! I know, I know, the bar is incredibly low, but I really am happy to be reading about women, by women.

So... Devils and schemes, creepy wizards, divine powers, love triangles, sisterhood, parental
Kelsey
"I should have stayed with her."
"She gets out, and you're going to be looking back from the afterlife a great fool."
"And if she doesn't?"
"Then I think she'll forgive you for waiting a few days," Dahl said, "if you're going to be a great fool and join her. Come on."

3.5? Look, this really was...a Dungeons and Dragons book. And as someone who doesn't read much of the lore, never read the first 2 books in the Sundering series, nor anything in the Brimstone Angel series...I could follow along (more
Bethicus
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
NOTE: I have not read the previous books in this series. I picked this one up from a family member and didn't actually realize it was the third book until quite a bit into it, otherwise I would have put it aside and looked for the first two books. As it is I'm glad I didn't, I'm okay with jumping in to the third arc of this campaign.

I enjoyed this book, as the characters were engaging, and the world of the Sundering is an interesting one (borrowed from the Wizards of the Coast RPG Dungeons and
Jeremiah Mccoy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, game-tie-ins
So, here is book three... I still like the main character and her friends. I do. That is the best plus for this book and the series. That said, I hated most of this book and it was a slog to get through. The plot starts with Farideh yet again defending her abuser, but beyond that, there is another fatal flaw. The plot depends, hinges on, her being just dumb. She makes a deal with a devil early in the book. She repeatedly demonstrates a lack of understanding that Devils will trick you. She also ...more
Eileen Dandashi
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers particularly those who have read the authors who created the Forgotten Realms
About the Author: quoted from Erin M. Evans web site http://slushlush.com/

Who are you?
My name is Erin M. Evans. I’m writer and sometime-editor living in Seattle. I wrote the novels The God Catcher and Brimstone Angels, and the short story “The Resurrection Agent” from Realms of the Dead. You should read them.

Those are Forgotten Realms books. What does that mean? Am I going to have to read a zillion books to understand this?

My current novels are set in the world of Forgotten Realms, which is a
Sean
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
The lead character is horrible. First, the name: "Farideh". Sounds like an illiterate attempt at spelling Faraday. Horrible. And she spends the whole book being easily (trivially!) manipulated by everyone around her. Why would someone so easily manipulated, become one of the Chosen? It makes no sense.

Thankfully, the rest of the characters in the book are far more interesting. The author should stop writing about brimstone angels and tieflings and start writing stories about her other characters
RinaKat
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommendations
I did know that it was the third book of The Sundering series, but also that The Sundering books are all basically standalone novels within the same time frame.
However, I didn't realize this was the third book of the Brimstone Angels series until after I had read it. There were many events that were alluded to that I didn't know the details of. I found it didn't matter much for my tastes though, and will probably read the first two books like I would prequels.
Carol Bosselman
Normally I love the Realms books, and was excited to see one about tieflings, but wow, I felt like I came into a long awaited tv series already 2 seasons in. I was completely lost, and I also found all the stuff about the pacts and various ties of Hell confusing. Maybe at some point I'll find the preceding books and catch myself up but this book doesn't work as part of this series if you don't already have the history.
Melissa
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In spite of being the middle book in a series I hadn't read, this was a thoroughly engaging book. The characters grabbed me instantly, and just enough background information was given to bring me up to speed on what had happened in prior books without bogging me down with details. Some of the fight scenes were slightly confusing as to who was doing what when, but that might be my own preferred reading style. I'm definitely going to have to go back and begin the series properly!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Night of the Hunter (Companions Codex, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #25)
  • Archmage (Homecoming #1; The Legend of Drizzt #28)
  • Maestro (Homecoming #2; The Legend of Drizzt #29)
  • Hero (Homecoming #3; The Legend of Drizzt #30)
  • Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf (Companions Codex, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #27)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Timeless (Drizzt Trilogy, #1)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • Rise of the King (Companions Codex, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #26)
  • Charon's Claw (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #22)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
  • The Last Threshold (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #23)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1)
  • The Chaos Curse (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #5)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • The Fallen Fortress (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #4)

The Sundering (6 books)
  • The Companions (The Sundering, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #24)
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • The Reaver (The Sundering, #4)
  • The Sentinel (The Sundering, #5)
  • The Herald (The Sundering #6)