Start by marking “A Sound of Thunder” as Want to Read:
A Sound of Thunder

A Sound of Thunder

Free online fiction.

The short story, A Sound of Thunder, involves a Time Travel Safari where rich businessmen pay to travel back to prehistoric times and hunt real live dinosaurs.
Published by http://www.scaryforkids.com/ (first published January 1st 1951)

Lyn
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The butterfly effect is a term coined by Edward Lorenz, an American mathematician, meteorologist, and a pioneer of chaos theory (and who does NOT look like Jeff Goldblum) that essentially says that a hurricane can be influenced by the distant flapping of butterfly wings several weeks earlier. Although his research took place in the 50s, his description of the idea took place in the later 60s.

Ray Bradbury’s short story A Sound of Thunder, first published in Collier's magazine in the June 28, 1952
Cecily
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Cecily by: Apatt
A short story about using a time machine to hunt dinosaurs. The company that runs the trips is explicitly aware of the risks: “We don’t want to change the Future”, hence oxygen helmets, sterilised clothes, and an anti-gravity path that “Doesn’t touch so much as one grass blade”. What could possibly go wrong?

It was more clichéd than exciting for me, but Bradbury wrote it in 1952, whereas the other explorations of these ideas I’ve read and watched mostly date from after that. It’s always a shame w
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Review first posted at www.fantasyliterature.com:

In the year 2055 (about 100 years in the future when Ray Bradbury wrote this classic science fiction short story), one of the uses of time travel is for big game “safari” hunting: hunters pay a huge fee to take a guided safari trip to the far-distant past and bag a Tyrannosaurus Rex or other dinosaur. In order to avoid any chance of changing the past and affecting the future, the hunting party is strictly enjoined to stay on a metal pathway floati
Duane
Butterfly Effect, Chaos Theory, time paradoxes, all are contained in this brilliant short story by Ray Bradbury. It's about time travel and it's possible consequences on the future, and as usual Bradbury's messages are not delivered with subtlety; they are delivered with force and they are delivered loudly, and they roll around in your consciousness like "a sound of thunder".
Tisha
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! Another brilliant story by Ray Bradbury! Although it's a really short one, you will get the essence of a lot of things like safari, time travel, the butterfly effect (literally and I loved this part the most!) etc.
I can see that the story was first published in 1951 and it talks about 2055! Isn't that interesting? Bradbury was really ahead of his times I must say! :D
Rory
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
It wasn't a good story or story line, and it had a lot of unnecessary (long) lists of cause and effect that were unneeded for the plot line in the first place. Plus the ending is awful! It doesn't wrap anything up, and just abruptly ends the story!
Peter
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Why are you reading reviews right now? You could probably read the whole story in the time you're spending reading reviews.
Click here for a free copy!!!!
You won't be disappointed.

Hopefully you listened to me and left, but obviously, if you're reading this, you didn't. Here's a second chance.

Seriously? You didn't click the link? Shame on you. I'll cut to the real review now.

This was a grate boook tht was funn to read. Itta had eferythinc that yu could want. It waz grate.

You're probably thinking
Mosy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
یه داستان کوتاه معروف از ری بردبری. ایده "اثر پروانه ای" در حقیقت اولین بار توی این داستان کوتاه شکل گرفته.
ممکنه الان که بخونیدش براتون خیلی تازگی نداشته باشه، ولی خب زمانی که داستان نوشته شده، این ایده تقریبا ناب بوده.

از اینجا میتونید بخونید داستان رو:
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
COME_TO_THE_DARK_SIDE
What would happen if you make the tiniest of errors?
Bradbury makes a great explanation of the chaos theory. Contrary to popular belief, he did not invent the concept of the butterfly effect.
Shelby
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars
I had to read this book for my English class that I am taking this year. At first I was not to crazy about reading this book simply because what we read in school is always is boring for me. As we got reading though I had changed my mind about this book. I did like how it was short with only 41 pages. I was kind of surprised that we actually read a book that was short because most of the time we read books that are kind of long. I thought the writing was good. I was really surprised that
Michele
Everyone should read this classic Bradbury short story. Why? So you know the origin of the term "The Butterfly Effect," of course. Bradbury is amazing. Even if sci-fi isn't your normal fare, you can give up 15 minutes of your life to read this classic tale.
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The impact of our actions...
Tim Pendry

Possibly the most anthologised science fiction story of all time, this 1952 tale has dinosaurs and the problems of time travel so what's not to love. In fact, its interest lies in its early exposure of the public of time travel paradox and the butterfly effect (which Bradbury uses here but did not invent).

Like most science fiction, it does not last well in terms of the detail required to maintain an illusion of credibility and the writing is actually not the best we have seen from Bradbury but i
Özgür
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, sci-fi
Kısa bir öyküden oluşan bir kitap.
Rosa Dracos99
Relato, en mi opinión, demasiado corto para la trama que tiene. Creo que con unas cuantas páginas más, con un poco más de desarrollo sobre el cambio, habría sido redondo. Pese a todo, magistralmente descrita la escena de caza.
Amy Nicole
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Bradbury for the sci-fi elements, but I also love that his books have so much historical context. You can see how outdated his concepts from the 50s are and it always sends me into great Wikipedia article tailspins to try to figure out what he’s referencing.

The concept of significance in this story is so incredible. By going back in time, everything becomes so much more important. I think it makes you reflect on your own importance and how the future can be more dependent on you than the
Ariya
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was tutoring my student for the final exam, and she had to revise this short story while I was there, sitting calmly to contain the envy.
Jason Liwag
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the most interesting short stories I've ever read.
Ladiibbug
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short Story

Excellent story - Bradbury is the first person who showed "The Butterfly Effect" in this story from the 1950's. Definitely want to read more of this author.

Tom Mathews
The short story that gave us The Butterfly Effect. (view spoiler)
Polly Roth
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-reading
I don't know why, but I've been thinking about this short story a lot lately. I read it 5 or 6 years ago, and it still influences the way I think. If that's not a sign of an amazing piece of writing, I don't know what is.
Ceci
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bradbury's works are simply amazing.
I have always loved the idea of the Butterfly Effect and how every little action is important.
Highly recommended.
Peter Wolfley
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was making a joke about time travel at work and was rebuked by a librarian for not knowing my source material. He recommended I read this before I make any more erroneous jokes about how small changes in the past can make huge changes in the future.
LunaLovegood
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jaclynn
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much fun! Incorporating into my class literacy block.
Linda
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A short story about time travel, the condition of nature and the butterfly effect.
Leonor
Reseña

Se puede encontrar el cuento completo en el siguiente link: http://ciudadseva.com/texto/el-ruido-...

Trata de Eckels, un hombre al que le gusta cazar, y que se encuentra con una empresa que vende safaris en el tiempo; más específicamente, de la época de los dinosaurios.

Están en el año 2055, pero los safaris son en el año 65 millones a.C. A Eckels se le advierte que no puede hacer nada que no le indique el guía, ya que está todo sumamente estudiado: la presa que van a abatir iba a morir de
Glitterbomb
This is an excellent and thoroughly engaging short story exploring the concepts of 'The Butterfly Effect' and 'Time Paradox'. Thrill seekers are sent back in time to experience the ultimate rush; hunting dinosaurs - but are warned extensively about the dangers of altering the past.

Ray Bradbury really was a pioneer of science fiction, and I love how his tales are so readable and compelling, and they translate incredibly well to modern times.
  • Nightfall
  • Futurama Adventures
  • Cryptozoic!
  • Man from the South
  • I Know What You Need
  • Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs
  • Science Fiction: A Very Short Introduction
  • It's a Good Life
  • Forbidden Faith: The Secret History of Gnosticism
  • Recitatif/To Room Nineteen
  • The Star
Ray Douglas Bradbury, American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at ...more
“Eso hubiese sido una paradoja -habló Lesperance-. El tiempo no permite esas confusiones…, un hombre que se encuentra consigo mismo. Cuando va a ocurrir algo parecido, el tiempo se hace a un lado.” 0 likes