Start by marking “Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)

Midnight Thief

(Midnight Thief #1)

Growing up on Forge’s streets has taught Kyra how to stretch a coin. And when that’s not enough, her uncanny ability to scale walls and bypass guards helps her take what she needs.

But when the leader of the Assassins Guild offers Kyra a lucrative job, she hesitates. She knows how to get by on her own, and she’s not sure she wants to play by his rules. But he’s persistent—a
Published July 8th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Thief, please sign up.
Allyse I think that if you are in your mother's home and she allows you to read but restricts certain genres that is well within her domain as a parent. Anyo…moreI think that if you are in your mother's home and she allows you to read but restricts certain genres that is well within her domain as a parent. Anyone who tells you to disobey your mother's wishes does not have your best interests at heart. Your mother's rules do matter and it's important to listen. She is not asking you not to read. The answers given by Livia Blackburne, and Sarah, below is what you asked for, not anyone's opinions on what your mother should and should not do. Please take that into consideration. I also was encouraged to avoid books with magic and yet I managed to read many books including fantasy that were approved by my parents and didn't harm my conscience. I wanted to know the same thing about this book and I'm an adult. Thank you for asking and thank you for the answers that gave me the answer I was looking for. (less)
Livia Blackburne Yes, the hardcover should be available everywhere right now. The paperback is the one on preorder. Here is the link to Amazon UK. http://www.amazon.co…moreYes, the hardcover should be available everywhere right now. The paperback is the one on preorder. Here is the link to Amazon UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midnight-Thie...(less)
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
367 books — 1,509 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,543 books — 9,177 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 1.5
She didn’t look like an assassin. She looked like a young girl—a pretty one at that, with her small stature and delicate features.

Why hello there, generic special snowflake Mary Sue heroine who's a dumb, weak, pussy-ass delicate little flower with every guy desiring her and powers that she never earned.
“You’re beautiful to watch, you know...Your grace—it’s impossible to ignore. Did you notice the way my men looked at you? And it wasn’t just them.”
Oh, and there's a sad a
Livia Blackburne
Mar 09, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
This story is my homage to the medieval fantasies I grew up reading. Most notably, Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness, which I've read and reread countless times. Unlike the Lioness Alanna, Kyra is a thief instead of a knight, and the challenges she faces are different. But I hope I've captured the same spirit, vulnerability, and courage that drew me to my favorite girl-power fantasies from my childhood.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Before I read MIDNIGHT THIEF, I took the advice of various and sundry others, and read the prequel, POISON DANCE, and I really liked it. Having since read the book, I'm going to hazard a guess that the point of the prequel was to, if not make a sympathetic character out of MIDNIGHT THIEF's villain, then to at least explain why he was the way he was.

But it didn't quite work that way for me.

I feel like I've said this recently, so if I'm repeating myself, I apologize, but in
Alyssa

Book One of the Midnight Thief series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: July 8, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

But when the leader of the Assassins Guild offers Kyra a lucrative job, s
Faye, la Patata
I must admit that I was first smittened by this book because of the synopsis. Anything that involves going sneaky and stealthy earns itself my full attention, as there is something about assassins, and well, I guess in this case, faux-assassins, that utterly fascinate me. They come like thieves in the night, arrive when you least expect it, and are super silent in the things they do. So when I was able to get an ARC of this, I was totally screaming, "GIMMEEEE!!" complete with an out-of-the-world ...more
Isa Lavinia

actual rating: 2.5 stars

ARC provided by Disney-Hyperion through Netgalley

Kyra is a thief trying to make ends meet when she's taken into the Assassins Guild. There she hones her skills and learns a few new tricks.
Tristam is close to his knighthood when barbarians riding demon cats attack and kill his best friend. This makes Tristam choose a path which will allow him to seek justice for his fallen friend.

I was really, REALLY excited for this book, but that excitement died down within the
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

I was introduced to the world of Midnight Thief late last year when author Livia Blackburne offered me a review copy of the prequel novella, Poison Dance. After reading it I came to two conclusions. First, Ms. Blackburne obviously puts a lot of care and effort into her writing, and knows how to tell a great story. And second, if what I saw in her novella was any indication, the actual book is going to be awesome.

In Midnigh
Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)

Review can be found on my brand new blog Here
Lindsay Cummings
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read! It was an absolute pleasure, and Livia Blackburne is now one of my top authors.

MIDNIGHT THIEF starts out with a bang. With a killer plot and really great motivations behind the characters, the reader is sure to fall in love with this story.

MIDNIGHT THIEF bounces back and forth between two characters: Kyra and Tristam.

Kyra is a teenaged thief who is one of the best climbers around. She's grown up on the streets of Forge, and she knows how to survive because
Stephanie Diaz
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-want
A fast-paced adventure story with lots of intrigue, danger, and a kick-ass heroine. If you like YA fantasy with an exciting twist, definitely check this out!
Rebekah
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What to make of the AMAZING book! Where do I begin? The author has a PhD in neuroscience for heavens sake! Go figure she wrote such an incredible book! And for the love of all that is holy I have to wait a whole year for book 2! Let me just say I was riveted by the end of paige one. I could not put this book down. Everything about it was worth reading every word, line and savoring the picture she created as you get involved in the world and it's characters. This book truly has everything a story ...more
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

When Livia Blackburne approached me last year and asked me to read the prequel to this story, Poison Dance, I jumped to it. Assassins are always my favorite bunch to hang out with and luckily it turned out for the best. Ever since then I've been frantically checking NetGalley for Midnight Thief and finally it is here.

First I'd want to start this review by saying that you should read Poison Dance before reading this book (it's free on Amazon so go and grab i
Jo
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, ya-fantasy
Absolutely riveting! I kept putting off reading this one, and now I am left wondering why. Kyra is a great addition to the canon of kick butt heroines (Katniss, Celaena, Elisa, Tris, Katsa, Saba, Enna, you get the point). I truly fell in love with Kyra's character from the first chapter. She is just the right balance between being vulnerable and being steel. Her drive to survive is incredible and makes you cheer for her from the start.

This is a great world to lose yourself in. It is we
Jilly
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, y-a
As I have mentioned many times, I am a dog person, definitely not a cat person. So, any book with giant killer cats has already got a strike against it in my eyes. Cats give me the creeps with their independent attitudes and crapping in a box. Seriously? I have to keep a box of your shit sitting in my house all day? I have yet to walk into someone's house and be surprised they have a cat. Why? Because they have a box of cat shit sitting in their house.

dogs rule photo: Dogs rule Dogs3_zps301c098f.jpg
Exactly my point!

dogs rule photo: Dogs rule Dogs2_zps0fd067a6.jpg
Obviously, the crap
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Completely unexpectedly, Midnight Thief was a very pleasant surprise. It came at a time when I had a hard time focusing on any read and I really needed something different and well done to pull me in. In many ways, The Midnight Thief was both those things.

This book is told from two perspectives, that of Kyra, a skilled thief, and a young knight named Tristam. Tristam’s point of view came as a surprise somewhat late in the story, just when I was starting to get comfortable with Kyra’s voice. Asid
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount Read: 169 pages

I tried, guys. In fact, I got 40% into this book. The thing is that it's NOT bad. The world building is cool, the writing is totally acceptable, and the plot is, so far, quite promising. I didn't want to DNF because there's so much that's right about this book.

That said, I just DO. NOT. CARE. The characterization really isn't here for me, which leads me to not care about the interesting plot and world building. If it's a fantasy plot line of "oh no, these humans might die,"
Viktoria Winter
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
“When you lose a friend in battle, it’s natural to feel like you’re to blame. But don’t let those thoughts consume you. War is fickle. Just fight your best and let the ghosts of every battle rest in peace.”

It’s rare when I find a book on my own―without all the cluster of social media or friendly recommendations. At some point or another, I’ve probably heard of a book through blogs or Instagram or BookTube, and when I see it at Barnes & Noble I have a sort of "ah-ha!" moment (it’s quite exhilara
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4.5 Stars

MIDNIGHT THIEF was a fascinating, emotionally-punched, action-packed, thrilling, fantasy book that I devoured so quickly it had me tripping over words trying to get them read so fast!! It was SO much fun, with twist and turns that just kept coming!! It will definitely go down as one of my favorite fantasy's of 2014!!!

Livia Blackburne delivers WAYYYY more then I anticipated in this novel!!! When I read the synopsis about the Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty
nick (the infinite limits of love)

This was really good. I loved watching the main character, Kyra, go through all these situations and actually make mistakes (Yay for a non-perfect YA fantasy heroine!) and watching the world building expand was an absolute thrill. I did wish that the plot were a bit tighter but I don't even care because this book was still very entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Series Review

Why should you check out
~Tina~
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Now this was impressive!
Midnight Thief, is a brilliant medieval fantasy adventure that was such a blast to read. I love fantasy books, but for whatever reason I really have to be in a certain mood to get into them, so color me shocked when I opened this book just to catch the first chapter, only to be instantly hooked. I could not put this down.

I can't believe this is Livia Blackburne debut novel. I'm in love with the way she can write. For some reason I thought this was a historical fantas
Christine
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MIDNIGHT THIEF is a riveting page-turner full of action, intrigue, secrets. It is a fantasy but reads like historical fiction set in Medival Europe. The fantasy doesn't kick in until 110 pages before the ending. (I suspected early, but won't give away any spoilers.)

Forget Ye Old English speech, too, because the language is as easy to read--no dialects except one word (in't instead of ain't) and understandable as contemporary novels, only with a historical setting and tone. Even when the Barbari
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, review

Kyra has grown up on Forge’s streets and with her ability to scale walls and avoid the attention of guards, she is able to take what she needs to survive. When James, the leader of the Assassin’s Guild, offers her a job to help them steal from The Palace, she agrees but struggles against the guilds rules and James, who is darkly alluring. Tristam is a young knight who is on a mission to stop Demon Riders after they
Minni Mouse
Errybody be posting Empire of Storm or Crooked Kingdom updates and here I be, reading some no-name book from 2014...haha.

Anyway. 3.5 star rating. I feel like I gave up my seat at the cool kids' table by liking this book so much, particularly after reading Khanh destroy this book in her review, haha. But 'ey, I liked it!

I read Poison Dance first, which nicely set me up to like this book. Once I started to get a few chapters in I was struck by how much the vibes paralleled Final Empire in
Gergana
Apr 16, 2016 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
DNF:75%
Read in April, 2016.

Dammit! So close to finishing this one. So close...

One word: CLUTTERED

Imagine a huge mix of Shadow and Bone, Poison Study, The Darkest Minds and many many others. It's a book that combines the best elements from my favorite YA books and has a TON of plot twists in order to fit them all in in one single book.

Well, to be completely honest, Midnight Thief is one of the better YA fantasies I've ever read - it's is fast-paced, well-written and action-packed. It has believa
Danny
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

This review was originally posted on Bewitched Bookworms

I admit, I was drawn in by the cover because I think it's absolutely fantastically awesome. Then, reading the synopsis I was hooked and I really wanted to know Kyra!

Epic Fantasy as it's finest!
Lately, I've been in the mood for Epic Fantasy and Midnight Thief comes with a fantastic setting. A medieval land which is suddenly faced by some mysterious dangerous creatures. Kyra our heroine is an orphan who grew up in the streets and finall
Nicole D.
I loved the heroine Kyra. She is smart,strong,and fierce but still compassionate and will do anything for the people she loves. She doesn't have much and was a street rat before she meet her friend Flick and she started stealing for a living. She never steals from the poor only the rich. She doesn't even know her true age but she and her friends guess at around 17. She doesn't remember anything before being a street rat including how she became one or her family.

When she is approached by James t
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
The first thing i gotta say is this book is damn good.

Rating: 4.328 thieving stars.

I kinda loved this small and fast Kyra. I love you girl! *fist pumps into the air*

Me, myself, and... I decided we liked this James, though (view spoiler) we still love you. *swoons with a sour, yet sweet face*

Tristam. I el-oh-vee-ee you!! Even though you are a knight and quite stupid, we know your heart
Colette
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sadly, I did not enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. The story never grabbed me completely, and I could not fully relate to the characters. Overall 2/5 stars; I will try the next boom and hope I end up liking it more.
Michelle Wrona
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE. ALL FANTASY READERS. DON'T LIKE ROMANCE? GET THIS BOOK.
Recommended to Michelle by: Goodreads, duh.
*Review copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

Well. Since I've been in the mood for fantasy reads lately, I decided to go with this one. And it was spectacular. I've seen mixed reviews about this book. The majority are pretty negative, but I just blocked those away from mind. The point that got me afraid the most was that there barely was any romance whatsoever.

I usually never read any books that don't include romance. I adore romance and the feelings that fiction
Julie Murphy
Bridget Benton
Roy Huff
Amitha
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book by my writing buddy. I critiqued the first drafts of this and loved seeing how this book came to life! Congrats, Livia!
Dianah
Coral
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I loved reading an early draft of this book in critique group, and I loved it even more reading the final version as a beautiful hardback. The characters are compelling, the plot is exciting, and it's a fun and entertaining read that also grapples with moral conflict in a meaningful way. I especially appreciate how in this divided society, no one side is purely evil or purely good. As new facets of her friends and enemies are revealed, the main character has to constantly reevaluate her values, ...more
WhyYesIYA/Bebe
tarawrawr
Chenise
Midnight Thief was a book I was really looking forward to and after finishing it, I have to say it was a very solid debut!

The main thing to know about Midnight Thief is that it's very slow burning all the way through. As a reader you learn more and more about the world and characters as the story goes on, not all at once or with mass info dumps. There's a lot going on plot-wise so I was really appreciative of this as it would've been simply too much otherwise. The world building is fantastic and
BookChic Club
Vanessa
Alana
Paige
ɯɐɔ
Seabrooke
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun, easy read. My only comment is there were points where I wished for more insight into the inner thoughts and emotions of the characters, which I think would've helped build a stronger connection between them and the reader.
Carmen
Kathryn
Vilde
Rachael Evans
rated it did not like it
Leah
added it
Jazmin
Jessica Capelle
Hannah
Mar 15, 2013
Teens' Top Ten Di...: Midnight Thief by Livia Blackburne 1 8 Aug 05, 2015 06:58AM

• Defy (Defy, #1)
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen, #2)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Valkyrie, #1)
  • The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)
  • Ignite (Defy, #2)
  • Defiance (Defiance, #1)
  • Frostblood (Frostblood Saga, #1)
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Endure (Defy, #3)
  • Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)
  • The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Livia Blackburne wrote her first novel while researching the neuroscience of reading at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Since then, she’s switched to full-time writing, which also involves getting into people’s heads but without the help of a 3 Tesla MRI scanner.

She is also the author of MIDNIGHT THIEF (an Indies Introduce New Voices selection), DAUGHTE

Midnight Thief (2 books)
  • Daughter of Dusk (Midnight Thief, #2)