Start by marking “Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success” as Want to Read:
Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success

Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  171 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
New York Times and Wall Street Journal Bestseller

"Promote Yourself is a perfect read for young people starting their ‘real' job, or veterans who want to up their game."
---Daniel H. Pink, #1 New York Times bestselling author of To Sell Is Human and Drive

How people perceive you at work has always been vital to a successful career. Now with the Internet, social media, and the
Published September 3rd 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Promote Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promote Yourself

Michael Stallard
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Years ago, a friend told me about a book that would help me understand how to advance my career by making headhunters aware of me and my work. I read the book, applied much of the advice and it made a difference. Promote Yourself, Dan Schawbel’s new book, is one of those difference-makers for Gen Y. Really, its message is relevant to all ages in today’s work environment. The book is full of wise and practical ideas and advice to help you develop so that you will become a better employee and bett ...more
Amy
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Millennials
It was nice to read a book that focuses it's career advice particularly on the Millennial generation. I am on the back-half on the Millennial generation, still in my first job out of college looking to continue to move my career forward. Schawbel offered lots of great advice about how to get a promotion, change careers, and seek new opportunities both in and outside of your employer.

As a proactive employee I agreed with most of the advice Schawbel gave, such as having a continuing conversation w
Robert Nyhlen
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dan Schawbel's book 'Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success' lives up to its name. I have read many different career books in the past, but Dan brings a great step by step way for anyone to get ahead in the work place. His win-win ideology puts you in the drivers seat. I could not put this book down. As I read it, I was coming up with many ideas how to grow my career.

Dan helps the person who loves their company but wants to move up. He also talks about the person who has had enough
David
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have you ever had a conversation with two other people about a topic. Then you realize a quarter of the way in the conversation that really Person A is really just speaking to Person B. It is ok for you to be there but you are truly not the intended audience...that is the best way to describe how I felt about this book.

I take responsibility for expecting this book was for a general audience. My disappointment comes from realizing his audience was really directed towards Gen Y. If the publisher
Bianca Smith
It’s hard to work out exactly why I don’t like Promote Yourself by Dan Schawbel. I’ve written many introductions and deleted them, all trying to find an objective reason.

I think it’s because there’s no clear audience identified.

There are many other reasons too, but they’re all subjective. The focus on millennials, the “it’s all about me” attitude, the instructions to do A and B to receive C. But these are disagreements, not reasons for it to be a bad book.

I know Dan Schawbel intends this book to
Tiffany
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Good for fresh grads! Otherwise most of the stuff you would have heard in career development sessions
Eustacia Tan
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Happy Halloween everyone! I don't really celebrate this holiday (well, Chinese and not living in a Western Country and all that), but if you want something cute to fawn over, have a look at this Sushi Candy that I found! (Well, I said I don't celebrate, but I never object to eating food(; ). And since it's Halloween, what is scarier than a scary story? Finding a job! (Ok, this only applies to working people/people about to enter the workfore). So in its own strange way (in my own strange mind, w ...more
IAM_ALICIAMARIA
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Promote Yourself : The New Rules to Career Success by Dan Schawbel and Marcus Buckin Promote gham is a great read. The inform in this book is primarily for Generation Y professionals. Even though I am in Generation X, this book provided me with excellent career strategies that I can apply. My favorite chapters in the book are Hard Skills: Be More Than Your Job Description, Soft Skills:Mark Every Impression Count, Gain Visibility Without Being Known As a Self-promotion, What Managers Look for Whe ...more
Dane Cobain
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dan Schawbel's highly-rated collection of tips for ambitious employees is pretty good, but it's not perfect - at times, it seems just like common sense. And it has a bias towards the new, up-and-coming employees, the young millenials who are in their first or second job and need that extra bit of career advice. People like myself.

But the thing is, if you're passionate about what you do, if you're driven and ambitious and determined to get your way then most of this stuff comes naturally. You fee
Zak J
Jul 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a shitty book. I was hoping to get some perspective and strategies for positioning oneself for career advancement in a workplace that's changing quickly. What I got was a hokey collection of seeming blog articles written by a self-proclaimed expert that's comfortable with making broad claims with laughable "research" to back them up. Let me save you a few hours of reading: If you want to become successful, do what I did and write a blog. Become an expert and write a blog. Become known to th ...more
Lauri Rottmayer
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was a big fan of Dan Schwabel's first book, Me 2.0 and I was looking forward to reading this new book.

Promote yourself is a book aimed at Millennials. This is a tough job market and the book gives great advice about how to get ahead in today's marketplace. Although the title might suggest that the book is about how to be your own, loudest PR agent, it's really more about how to put your best self forward and make yourself indispensable at your job.

For Millennials looking to get ahead at work,
Adrian Lee
Nov 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Though marketed as a book for people at different stages of their careers, it's primary audience is definitely marked out as the Gen-Y group. Its idealistic pep talk can be alienating, especially to those who've already established themselves somewhat in their careers. Smacking a little of narcissism, with the focus unabashedly centred on the ego, its "we-will-change-the-world" clarion call deserves a little reality check.
Laureen (Ms. Bibliophile)
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was so full of information it had my reaching for a pen and paper to make notes as I was going along. While it’s targeted at moving up/sideways in a company after you’ve already got the job the advice is sound in a lot of other ways and made me spend some time thinking. Personal branding is a lot more important than a lot of us may think!

(Read more.)
Luca
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A very different point of view to look at the business world and yourself. Very true and well exposed if you think of the way businesses are operating. I recognize many of the stuff presented from my own past and current experience. These insights are very valuable. Am not very much involved online and a lot of emphasis is put on social media, Internet, etc. Good ideas on how to promote yourself in the right way!
Angie
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
In my opinion, it's a good read for newly graduates or unemployed or anyone who would like to learn on how to behave in organization, with your boss and how to start building your personal brand. From this book I learned importance of online presence and how I can start working on my personal brand and not to be afraid to be straight forward with employer on what my goals are.
Hope
Some new ideas and some common sense, but all good reminders of the tools and etiquette of promoting yourself in the professional world. This definitely seems to be presented for business world, and I think different fields may call for tweaks to his approach. Good advice with lots of anecdotes, but I wasn't blown away.
Janice Lim
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading this book in record time.... spot on reassuring and reconfirming my observation of the millennial generation, our need to co-exist with or join them! The positive spin towards the end (especially for employers) gave the book a well-rounded perspective, luv that there is a section dedicated to intrapreneurship... way to go Dan - looking forward to your next one!
texast
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read a few career related blogs and I believe this book was suggested on one of them. I don't know how I could have otherwise learned about it. In any case, it wasn't for me as it's geared for Gen Y and recent grads. I can usually find something of value in most books I read, but this one was a dud.
Jadecircle12
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great motivational guide for people like me who are trying to figure out the rules for the new marketplace. It was targeted mainly for Millenials entering the workforce but I found many of the tips presented are also useful for those looking to explore career change and entrepreneurship.
Joseph McBee
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is primarily written for Generation Y on how to make it in the workforce today. There is some excellent advice for that age group here and I highly recommend it. For everyone else, the chapter on social media alone makes this book an excellent read.
Liisi
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
It was nice and easy to read book. Some good pointers but many things are common sense.
Mike Walters
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great info on networking. He gives some advice that can be immediately implemented.
Richard
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent advice in this book.
Zain
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good principles on personal branding and career success.
Chris Armer
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great overview of what it takes to promote yourself without being obnoxious.
Lanier Nail
Sep 07, 2014
Johnathan
Mar 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Myths of Creativity: The Truth about How Innovative Companies and People Generate Great Ideas
  • Mission in a Bottle: The Honest Guide to Doing Business Differently--and Succeeding
  • The Now Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter, and More Social
  • Serious Creativity: Using The Power Of Lateral Thinking To Create New Ideas
  • The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
  • Mismatch: How Affirmative Action Hurts Students It's Intended to Help, and Why Universities Won't Admit It
  • Best Practices Are Stupid: 40 Ways to Out-Innovate the Competition
  • Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Managing People (with featured article “Leadership That Gets Results,” by Daniel Goleman)
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • Never Get a “Real” Job: How to Dump Your Boss, Build a Business and Not Go Broke
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself
  • Human Sigma: Managing the Employee-Customer Encounter
  • Unlabel: Selling You Without Selling Out
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • Harvard Business Review on Managing Yourself
Dan Schawbel is the Managing Partner of Millennial Branding, a Gen Y research and consulting firm. He is the author of the #1 international bestselling book, Me 2.0: 4 Steps to Building Your Future, now in 13 languages. His second book, Promote Yourself: The New Rules For Career Success, will be released in 2013 by St. Martin’s Press. Dan is a columnist at both TIME and FORBES, and has been featur ...more
More about Dan Schawbel...