Start by marking “Portrait of a Crossroads” as Want to Read:
Portrait of a Crossroads

Portrait of a Crossroads

Since finding her fathers body at the bottom of the basement stairs, Annettes been drifting through her days, watching cars pass down the rural Ontario crossroads beside her house. Her brothers have no great ambitions, but Annette remembers a time when she did. She just cant remember what they are.

Then she meets her neighbour, Sadie, a tattooed, world-weary, newly single
Published May 20th 2013 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of a Crossroads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of a Crossroads

Start your review of Portrait of a Crossroads
Vanessa North
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely erotic lesfic vignette, i'm glad i picked this one up in Riptide's 99 cents sale this week.
Evaine
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, f-f
What a lovely read! The language of this novella? Short story? Quick fic? - whatever it's labelled as, the language was BEAUTIFUL! It reminded me of one of those stories we used to study in high school that I never got because I didn't have enough life behind me to appreciate the beauty of it. Yes, the protagonist is a young woman, Annette, a year out of high school, and while I think that many young women can identify with her feelings of uncertainty, apathy, quiet desperation, I don't know ...more
Kazza
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I pre-ordered this book because I thought the premise sounded interesting and I read anything that sounds good within the LGBT fiction genre.

I have never read a book by Ms Rand before, but I'm very glad I read Portrait Of A Crossroads. It is well written, with subtly drawn characters, and vivid descriptions. Full review at On Top Down Under Book Reviews - http://bookreviewsandtherapy.blogspot...
Leeanna
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, for-review, arcs
This review originally appeared on my blog, www.leeanna.me

PORTRAIT OF A CROSSROADS is a glimpse into the life of eighteen-year-old Annette. Living in a fog after the suicide of her father, Annette isnt sure what to do with her life, or how to move forward. Shes basically sleepwalking through life, going through the motions.

But when she takes notice of the painter living next door, and starts to help Sadie, Annette slowly comes back to life. Sadie is gay, and the more time they spend together,
Katy
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of F/F erotica
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley/Riptide
Book Info: Genre: F/F Erotica
Reading Level: Adult (explicit)
Recommended for: fans of F/F erotica

My Thoughts: While not normally a fan of erotica, I quite liked this short novella. The writing is very nice, beautiful descriptions, and Annette is an interesting character, as is Sadie (although Sadie remains mysterious to the end). It almost makes me want to visit the crossroads mentioned, just to see the scenery.

While F/F erotica is not for everyone, if you've been looking for some, this is a good
Laylah Hunter
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-slash-f
3.5 and rounded up -- contemporary isn't usually my genre, but I'm pretty starved for good lesbian fic. This is a sweet, quiet story that carries off the crossroads theme well; it's about a suspended summer when Annette's life is at a turning point, not yet moving forward in a new direction as she pauses at the start of adulthood to get her bearings. It feels much more like literary fiction that happens to focus on the beginnings of a relationship than it does like part of the romance genre. ...more
Kendra T
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a short story that didn't have a lot of real depth to it. It was written in a style that made me think of an old school story, and it was well written. I just didn't find myself having a big connection with the characters. It was more superficial, and not solid. It wasn't a bad story, but it wasn't my favorite.
Justina Johnson
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f
Portrait of a Crossroads by Kelly Rand

This story has such hidden charm. I hope that the gentle pace and down-home nature of the setting in rural Ontario serves to draw other readers in as it pulled in me. One gets to share in some very fine human blossoming on an intersection with six houses making up one corner and farm fields making up the other three. A somewhat mysterious but personable artist befriends (and then some) a young woman who is moving through a stifling fog and is way too alone
Suleikha Snyder
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rand's Portrait of a Crossroads is, like Pearl, a slice of life short story about a young woman on the cusp. Beautifully atmospheric, brief and almost Spartan in its economy of words, Rand's tale captures Annette's awakening and gives the reader hope that she will heal, find happiness and move forward.
Rea
Following her father's death, Annette finds herself at a "crossroads" and doesn't know exactly who she is or who she wants to be. For a short read the author surprisingly packs in wonderful symbolism, self-discovery, and learning of one's true sexuality. The characters were simple yet relatable and the book had a sweet theme about finding yourself-on your own terms.
Alma Q
(August 5th, 2017)

A F/F coming of age novella where 18-year-old Annette who, a year after her dad's suicide, gets on the road to recovery and a college career by falling in love/longing and lust with the painter next door. Like most things in that genre, however, it reaches for far more than it delivers; in this case, Rand's attempt at a heartfelt lesbian awakening story is undone by her fondness for unsuitable metaphors and the limited length of her piece, which does not allow for both the
Ana
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Im not really sure about this. I didnt disliked it but I cant say I was very interested in the story either. I got attracted by it because of its beautiful cover, but I ended up wanting so much more from it.

Annette was a nice character, so was Sadie, but I dont think I really got to know any of them. There wasnt much of a plot development and, if it was consider a romance, I didnt think it was very romantic.

What I did liked about it, and I dont know if this was intentional, was a melancholy
elijah !
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
OK! (nsfw review)

it was nice it seemed like the author included the weirdest details

pressing her clit like an elevator button was a real phrase here and i could Not handle it
LVLMLeah
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was all over this book when it came out because I loved the writing in Pearl. Like Pearl, the same style and ambience is present in this book. The author manages to get in a lot of details that set the stage for whats going on with the main characters, but in a Zen-like, sparse way. Even though a contemporary, this story had the feel of being in an earlier time period. Maybe this due to the fact that it takes place outside a small town with not much going on. Or maybe there are a lot of ...more
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on May 20th 2013:

Fluttering Thoughts:

Worldbuilding: Contemporary Ontario, small town/rural setting. The crossroads and the whole setting seemed also very symbolic though it was physically placed and described.
Characters: Annette, the MC, is at a point in her life when shes lost, disoriented. Her life could go either way, really, but shes just standing there and contemplating the direction sort of like standing in a crossroad and wondering about the
Celine
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
After her father's suicide Annette doesn't know what to do with herself. She lives with her two brothers in a house next to a crossroads. Some day she becomes fascinated with her tattooed neighbour Sadie.

I think the message of Portrait of a Crossroads is good. You should follow your dreams and your own path, whatever that may be. But that's all what this novella seems to be - the sum of its message.

Ms Rand is good at describing things. I loved the setting, the way the entire world seems to be
Alexia
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

Review:
This book was an easy read, albeit sometimes tedious. The beginning was quite slow and too much time was spent on the friendship and not enough time on the romance that developed from that.I think I would have liked this book much better if things weren't so cramped together. The end felt rushed and that drove me bananas.

Another issue I had was that I didn't understand what attracted Sadie to Annette. It was
Emma
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, queer
There need to be a million other stories just like this one.

A quick read, not at all what I expected. I was told I would receive a free book based on what I wanted, so I posted some quick key words and this was the book I received from the publisher.

Just about the only things they got from my key words were "woman protagonist" and possibly "bisexuality" when they gave me this. I also asked for non-monogamy and no erotic scenes, though it might be that this publisher doesn't have any non-erotic
Bibliojunkies
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Remember how I used to go on and on about how I hate short stories? How they dont have enough character development, blah, blah, blah? Well apparently I just needed to start reading the RIGHT short stories because yet again I have been blown away.

Portrait of a Crossroads by Kelly Rand is an excellent coming of age story about a girl that is struggling with the aimlessness of her present and plans for the future. Annette has been coasting through life in a bit of a haze since finding her fathers
Melanie
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Full review available here at All About Romance: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/boo...

There are times when a story needs to be wrapped up, when there are too many loose ends floating around, and nothing makes sense. There are other times, though, where at the end of the book you are left wondering, and it is a good thing. Not everything is finished, and it doesnt always need to be. Portrait of a Crossroads is like that - an open-ended story that just feels right.

A recent high school graduate,
✿kawehi.reviews
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow, this has got to be one of the shortest reads I've ever come across!!

After the death of her father, Annette finds herself at a crossroads of what to do with her life: e.g. go to college? get a job?, etc.

She doesn't really have the greatest support system as her brothers have no ambitions of their own but finds herself rediscovering herself and HER OWN ambitions after meeting her neighbor Sadie and being her "assistant".

This book isn't bad yet it isn't exactly good either. BUT IT DOES SEND
Angelina
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This a lovely read and shortest story I came across so far..
Annette is kinda a lost soul.. When her father died she become undecided on things what she really want in life and then she met this interesting woman name Sadie tattooed and artistic. I love both characters and how the story goes though I hope they written it in a long story.
Jenni Frencham
This is a good, quick read for those who like lesbian romance novels. On my Kindle it was about 100 pages. There isn't much action or much character development, since this is a romance novel. The story is pretty straightforward, and it's not a bad book, although I would have liked to have seen the story drawn out a bit more.
Rachael
Oct 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a short story. There wasn't much of a character build up, I didn't feel like I knew these characters to care enough about them. The whole book felt a bit repetitive as if it was written on a certain format, the main character would tell the reader how she was feeling, then relay that same information to her love interest, rinse and repeat.
Victoria Zagar
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5
Vicki
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this book out of curiosity. It was incredibly short and not very well written. Perhaps with more time to develop characters it would have been better.
Susinok
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nicely written f/f short story romance.
Stevie Carroll
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A sweet story with a gently unfolding plot, but just a little too slow for me. I'll definitely read others by this author though.
Ketty
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Intimate portrayal of a young woman's coming-of-age. I felt like I was sitting, unseen, in a room with the characters listening to their conversation.
Becky
Mar 08, 2013
I'm a writer and editor with high hopes, low expectations and too much curiosity for my own damn good. I write stories about vulnerable people who are figuring themselves out because I suppose I am perpetually figuring myself out too. So far, I know that I am pure rock 'n' roll.

I have a particular love of fiction that explores gender binaries, and will read just about any trans story put in front