Start by marking “Asymmetry” as Want to Read:
Asymmetry

Asymmetry

An Australian Air Force base patrolled by werewolves. A planet where wages are paid in luck. A future where copies are made of criminals to interpret their dark dreams. A medieval cavalry of mothers who are only permitted to take as many lives as they have created.

In every world, an imbalance of power. Something terribly askew between women and men, humans and wolves, citi
Paperback, Twelve Planets Collection, 109 pages
Published March 2013 by Twelfth Planet Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Asymmetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asymmetry

Start your review of Asymmetry
Tsana Dolichva
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Asymmetry by Thoraiya Dyer is the latest in Twelfth Planet Press's Twelve Planets series of collections. You can read my reviews of the other collections at this link.

Asymmetry does not contain linked stories like some of the other Twelve Planets — in fact they're all very diverse. They fall in different places on the science fiction to fantasy spectrum, but one thing they have in common is sheer innovativeness. These are the first stories I've read of Dyer's and I was very impressed. I'll defin
Alexandra
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I totally intended to read this slowly. Honestly I did. I meant to savour it, and contemplate each story.

Is it my fault that I ripped through each story, eager to know where it was going? It is my fault that each story is short enough that before I knew it I had finished one, turned the page, and started another?

I think not.

In the interests of, etc, I should point that I do know both Thoraiya Dyer, the author, and Alisa Krasnostein, the publisher. If I didn't like what I had read, I just wouldn
S.B. Wright
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Asymmetry is the latest of the top shelf Twelve Planets series to emerge from Twelve Planet Press. It continues what I have found to be an outstanding showcase of Australian women writers in the speculative fiction field.

Thoraiya has been well supported by the team at Twelfth Planet Press for some time; she appeared in the anthologies, New Ceres Nights and Sprawl(her short, Yowie, won an Aurealis), had a novella, The Company Articles of Edward Teach (which won the Ditmar Novella Category in 2011
Stephanie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww-2016
Asymmetry by Thoraiya Dyer is the eighth book in Twelfth Planet Press’s Twelve Planets series.

Thoraiya Dyer is an author whose short fiction I’ve loved in the past, and I very much looked forward to reading her volume of the Twelve Planets (and as an aside, I very much anticipate reading her debut novel, Crossroads of Canopy, which is in my review queue right now). This collection includes four unrelated short stories, all of which fall under the general speculative fiction umbrella, but are oth
Stefanie
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great set of short stories.

The writing was clear and to the point. I enjoyed the style of starting halfway through a story kind of feel in the beginning of each short story.

My favorite stories out of the four have to be "Zadie, Scythe of the West" and "Seven Days in Paris".

"Zadie" had a Game of Thrones feel to it and reminded me of a Valhalla type world. "Seven Days" was great and very futuristic with the use of clones. It also connected with current affairs because it involves terro
Martin Livings
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of four strong and varied SF stories. My favourite was "Seven Days In Paris", which dealt with the response to terrorism in a way I'd never imagined before. I read the whole short book in a day, and it was a joy.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Asymmetry is the eighth book in the Twelve Planets series, released by Twelfth Planet Press, which showcase the talent of female Australian authors. There is now to be a thirteenth in the series, but that's a review for another time. The brief given to authors was to write 4 short stories of up to 40,000 words in total. The stories could be separate, discrete narratives or linked through character, setting or theme.

This collection contains four short stories that deal with identity, the rules th
Mark Webb
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww2013
This review forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers 2013 Reading Challenge. All my 2013 AWWC reviews can be found here.

Asymmetry by Thoraiya Dyer is the latest in the excellent Twelve Planets series from Twelfth Planet Press. It is one of the shorter books in the series, and includes the following stories:

- After Hours
- Zadie, Scythe of the West
- Wish Me Luck
- Seven Days in Paris

Dyer has been winning a lot of awards over the last few years (e.g. recently won the Aureali
Dave Versace
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By now it should be obvious to anyone who reads my reviews that I have complete faith in the Twelve Planets Series from Twelfth Planet Press. This volume - Asymmetry - presents four new stories from Thoraiya Dyer, whose short story 'The Wisdom of Ants' (first published by Clarkesworld Magazine) was the winner for Best Short Story at the 2013 Ditmar Awards for Australian science fiction and fantasy. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the stories in this collection in the running next year.

Asym
Ash
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twelve-planets
Three and a half stars. A mixed bag of stories, though I have a feeling some of them are going to grow on me, or stick with me.

After Hours, the first story, was my favourite. A heady tale of werewolves, vets, and a military base, it unfolds in delightfully dark and unpredictable ways. If the others had all been this good, this would have been a five-star read.

Zadie, Scythe of the West has one problem that holds it back: it's too short to do justice to its world and concepts. Which is a shame, be
Christopher
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this collection of short stories got better as it went along. The first couple both showed promise but, for me, failed to deliver on their interesting premises. It seemed to me as if the author was trying in both cases to build a bigger and more complex world than she had the space for given the length of the work. I'm all for world-building via implication and letting the reader fill in the blanks, but in both cases there was so much left unsaid that I was left unsure of the motives a ...more
Chris Fellows
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I keep thinking about some of the stories in this collection weeks afterward. (view spoiler) There is a distinctive intelligent, poetic, undefinable something running through these stories that was very appealing to little old me.

To my mind this collection was about 5 parts fantasy to 3 parts science fiction (plus dash of Angostura bitters).

An
Melanie
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Again, more short stories by Thoraiya which describe worlds that I want to find out MORE about!! Werewolf guard dogs on army bases, female warriors with subservient men, worlds where luck is a form of currency and last of all self aware human robots that escaped her captors...wow! My only complaint is they weren't long enough. Especially the werewolves...that story was particularly cool.
Barbara
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women
Lovely set of SF stories, each one with a unique setting and leaving the reader with something to think about. My favourite is the third, "Wish Me Luck."
Sean Williams
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A stylish collection of strikingly different short stories. Terrific stuff.
Nicole
The stories were each unique. Wonderful collection and a quick read. In order of preference (not book order).

After Hours
Seven Days in Paris
Wish Me Luck
Zadie, Scythe of the West

Rivqa
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Unsurprisingly, a great collection from a great writer. I loved the werewolves particularly.
Jenny Blackford
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous - four perceptive stories, each with a strange punch of its own. World-building, real characters, strong plots - it's all here. You'll zip through this small but perfectly formed book.
Elanor Matton-Johnson
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A number of fascinating concepts that just make me want more, but that also work really well just as they are
Chris Lampard
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting collection of thought-provoking stories. I particularly enjoyed "Seven Days In Paris". And there's an intro by Nancy Kress...wow!
toria (vikz writes)