Start by marking “Panic” as Want to Read:
Panic

Panic (Panic #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  30,342 ratings  ·  4,608 reviews
Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person w
Published March 4th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Panic, please sign up.

Alfi Muhamad Personally I think that this book is amazing. It was so clever and well done. Relationships with Divergent? Not really. It may have the moral of fear,…morePersonally I think that this book is amazing. It was so clever and well done. Relationships with Divergent? Not really. It may have the moral of fear, but so does others. This book was as original as it can get and I don't know how else to say it. I gave this book 5 stars because I think it might've been one of the best books I've ever read. If you want to know more about my opinion, you can go to my comment of this book on my page.(less)
Abigail (Read. Sleep. Rave. Repeat.) After I read this book for the first time, I stated in my review for this one that it's not as good as the author's other work "Delirium", though I…moreAfter I read this book for the first time, I stated in my review for this one that it's not as good as the author's other work "Delirium", though I like the book as a whole. And as time passed, I realized that I do think that this book is more better than her other series. (Still like the trilogy, though)

Yes, I do think the plot of this book is a bit original. A challenge to face your fears literally? Sounds good.

And no, I don't this book has the same plot concept as "The Hunger Games" and "Divergent", even though I never read any of the two. I do think "Panic" is very different in any way. Honestly, I don't know how do most people get this the idea that this book is a copy-cat of the two trilogies mentioned above. (less)
YA Novels of 2014
13th out of 1,505 books — 8,178 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
25th out of 2,642 books — 15,828 voters

More lists with this book...

Bree
Dec 03, 2013 Bree marked it as to-read
Honestly, I love Lauren Oliver as much as the next person, I think she's very talented and creative.
But come.on.
This blurb?

Am I the only one who realises?
Really?!
To me, it practically screams Hunger. Games.
But to be fair, I'm going to read it in respect to Lauren Oliver and to actually see if it will be a Hunger Games repeat.
I'm praying it won't....
Sydney
A "stand-alone" book? In the YA genre? By someone who's already had an extremely successful trilogy with FOUR bridges?

It will be a hit and then the publishers will be all

And I am TOTALLY alright with that.

Update 7/17: Cover = simple and sleek. Me likey.

Read all my reviews at www.rattlethestars.com
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Actual Rating: 3.5
“Why did you play?” he asked.
Revenge, Dodge thought, and Because I have nothing else. But out loud he said, “Money. Why else?”
The name of the game is Panic, the name of the book should be Desperation, because this book is a psychological study of despair, anger, revenge. It's about the claustrophobia of growing up poor, the seething fury of revenge, the fear of a future you cannot contemplate. It is about love and loss, friendships and broken hearts; it is a literal rite of p
Mitch
Mar 13, 2014 Mitch rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mitch by: Katy
Shelves: 4-star-favorites
What is Panic? That's the question everyone seems to be asking. The book summary says it's a legendary, high stakes game played by graduating seniors in a dead-end town because there's nothing else to do. Those who've read the blurb seem to think it'll be the next Hunger Games. Frankly, I'm just surprised for a well known author as Lauren Oliver and a summary that couldn't be clearer, nobody seems to have a clue, and the people who do know aren't saying.Well, I'm saying, and here's my take: it's ...more
Ellis
Jul 17, 2013 Ellis marked it as to-read
So, cover is out. I am not impressed.

This

is panic.

This

gives me absolutely no indication as to what the stakes are. Sure, it has a black background, but it's basically the before photo in a Miracle Shampoo commercial.
Nataliya

I bet this book will be loved by so many readers. After all, it has quite a it of potential, it's not badly written, and - thanks to all the literary gods - it mercifully lacks the unavoidable first-person narration that plagues the YA subset of literature.

For me, however, it fell a bit flat. And that's disappointing.

I did appreciate what Lauren Oliver (a relatively new author for me, by the way - I only read her sweet and adorable children's story 'Liesl and Po') tried to do here. She tried to
Kat Stark

First buddyread with the beautiful Inge (Click to read her review)

Oh man...where the fuck do I start?

I'm sure you all can tell that I didn't like this one from all my statuses, if not scroll down and have a few laughs about it, because making fun of this book was the only good thing about it.

First off, I want to say that the writing style was pretty good and there were some sentences in there that really hit home when it came to descriptions and whatnot. That being said, this was a classic case
Whitney Atkinson
I would highly recommend going into this expecting only entertainment value from it. I felt a bit detached from the characters, like there were 4 different undeveloped character arcs, but the plot was so interesting that I found myself not caring. If you're someone who needs to be able to click with the characters while you read something, though, I wouldn't recommend this. But I thought it was loads of fun and although it is completely unrealistic, I flew through it nevertheless.

~~~~~

OMG THE CO
Christine Riccio
Panic was different than i expected! I just posted my full booktalk/discussion: http://youtu.be/uR0U9yVC17w ! I flew through it and enjoyed the characters, the only thing i wasn't too crazy about was the last chapter before the epilouge! It wasn't bad.. I'm just never satisfied with the way that Lauren Oliver's books wrap up.
Cassandra Mitchell
May 30, 2015 Cassandra Mitchell marked it as to-read-soon
***EDIT: 17 JULY***

This cover is gorgeous!!! I can't even handle it!
Can't wait for this book!

freaking out photo: freaking out freaking-out_zps574623f5.gif

------------------
24 June

OKAY. We have a description! Sounds AH-MAZING! Now if we can only get a cover out of Miss. Oliver...

But, let's be real here...March 2014??????? This is how I feel about that:

image

Seriously, what kind of sick and twisted world is this????

-----------------------------

17 March

image

TELL ME MORE LAUREN OLIVER!!!
Inge
Katie
No. 1.5 stars. Rant Time.

Littered with cliches and stereotypical characters. I swear the last 5 YA books read have starred the same female protagonist with a different name. Exact. Same. Personality. Again. And. Again. How many times am I supposed to read about an awkward, introverted, not popular, virginal girl (oh who also hates drinking) before I snap because that's the point I'm at.

How many times am I going to suffer through a scene where a girl finally kisses the boy she likes only for an e
Giselle
I'm left feeling torn on this one. On the one hand I though it was an exciting and well written story about desperation, friendship, and wanting to prove yourself. On the other hand, the game Panic's frail, yet apparently enduring, nature was not very realistic considering the risks, keeping me emotionally detached, and I did find the plot ended up being fairly predictable.

Panic is a game where facing often life-risking fears can win you a small fortune - 50,000$ worth. Absolutely interesting a
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Compare Panic to one sorority/fraternity hazing gone horribly wrong, and you'll know what you're getting into before you pick up the book.

Funny thing is, I started out noting a lot of positives (all of which were turned on their head). I was in love with the refreshing normalcy of the characters' behavior.

1. Having beers out by the water
2. Bumming around at the mall
3. One of the girls got tired of waiting for the guy to kiss her so she asked him straight up if he was going to.

A few pages later.
Ariel
Overall I felt that this was an exciting non-deep book. The characters were pretty flat, and their backstories were badly fleshed out, but I didn't care.. for me, this book was all about the crazy intense challenges, and boy did it deliver! Some of the challenges were so crazy I actually found myself feeling nervous for the safety of the characters!

If you're looking for a book about "facing your fears" or "overcoming adversity" or "anything else deep" I don't think that this does a good job.. b
Katy
Disappointing. This book lacked something that "Before I Fall" and the "Delirium" series did such a great job of creating - that sense of desperation. Without it, Panic was just a stupid game. And I would have been fine accepting it as such, but I felt Oliver threw in too many sob stories that failed to pull at my emotional strings, leaving me calloused and disconnected from the characters.

(Warning: Hidden parts contain major spoilers, so don't click them!)

THE GAME

I was very confused for the f
Rose
Initial reaction: I really wanted to like "Panic" more than I actually did - some of it had measures where the character background and emotions were potent (particularly with Heather and Lily's circumstances), but I was surprisingly unaffected by much of the novel despite the daredevil stunts and overarching game the teens played. You would think for something with such high stakes it would be more enthralling, but alas, for me? Not so much.

Full review:

It's been a while since I've read "Panic"
Lola
May 16, 2014 Lola rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of contemporary books with drama and a bit of action.
description

**This is not a dystopian.**

*2 stars*

This one was very disappointing, because I had high expectations and I feel like the synopsis misled me.

I picked this book thinking ''A competition? I love competitions! You’re mine baby.'' The synopsis left me (almost) drooling. I wanted to read this newly published book by the acclaimed author Lauren Oliver badly. I was sure I was going to have a blast reading it.

I was kind of wrong.

It wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t very good either. I really have mixed
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was such a fun read! The only problem I had was that I didn't really feel for any of the characters. I also wasn't a huge fan of the ending.

Here's a link to my video review for Panic:
Freckles
takhle nejak to vypadalo:
12:00 - doctu to aspon na 60 procent
61 procent - tak na 66
68 - sakra, no tak 70
73 - ne, vubec neni pul druhy, a do 75 to dam...
75 - ale ted je to zajimavy...
80 - ted taky!
85 - tak uz to doctu, no...

je 3:15 a posledni stranky jsem malem nedychala... ani se mi nechce spat. tak asi... budu zirat do stropu.
ɦɛʀօռɖǟʟɛ {ɨ'ɖ ʀǟȶɦɛʀ աǟʟȶʐ ȶɦǟռ ʝʊֆȶ աǟʟӄ ȶɦʀօʊɢɦ ȶɦɛ ʄօʀɛֆȶ}
I just...

description

Why?! I mean I really don't like to be...

description

This is seriously how I look right now.

description

Life is just so bland...

Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Lauren Oliver has been an on and off author for me. I loved both Before I Fall and Delirium, but Pandemonium and Requiem fell flat for me. So before entering this book, I was uncertain of what I'd think and what do expect from her this time around. I think Panic caused a lot of confusion for me. I went in thinking it was a dystopian novel because it's been shelved 'dystopian' around 70 times. But let me confirm to you:This is a contemporary novel.

The main asp
Vane
So, I went to this book thinking it was a dystopia, but that's not what I got. This book was a contemporary novel with a touch of thriller. Bad thing is, the thriller part didn't work for me.

First, the plot bored the hell out of me. I don't think there was a single moment in which I felt anything besides sheer boredom. There was never anything going on. It was too slow to the point I almost dnf-ed it. But I managed to get through it.

The last half picked up a little, but it was already too late f
Thomas

Panic: a game played by graduating seniors in the dead-end town of Carp, where all contestants must face their worst fears - and each other. Heather never thought she would participate in Panic, but when her broken heart finds a new cause to fight for, she readies herself for the ride of her life. Dodge, on the other hand, does not feel scared of Panic; he wants revenge, and that thirst will drive him throughout the game. Amidst the near-death experiences thrust upon them by the judges
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 words: Silly children playing dangerous games.

I was pretty love/hate with this book the whole time I was reading it. From loving the turmoil with the relationships to hating the actions of these stupid, irresponsible children, I was swinging backwards and forwards from a rope swing tied to a branch.

There was something that just angered me so much about how these stupid little children endangered the lives of everyone. Their stupid game, in the name of "boredom" just made my blood boil.

What's w
Amreen
A new book by Lauren Oliver...

Sounds similar to Hunger Games and I along with many others are praying it won't be a repeat of the THG. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's also apparently going to be a stand alone novel. Which is great because I was actually thinking that Delirium could have been a good stand-alone. Not that I'm complaining that it wasn't because I loved the other books in the series as well. Anyways I doubt it's going to happen. I mean a stand-alone in the dystopian genre...

But I'm
Teresinha
UPDATE:
I na podruhé a v češtině je to strhující čtení. Bavilo mě to. A i když jsem si to v zásadě pamatovala, bála jsem se s každou stránkou. Protože Lauren se o svoje postavy moc nestará. Skoro jako by jí byly lhostejné, podle toho, co s nimi vyvádí... Těšte se :)

Páni! Panika! Až tohle budete číst, budete si kousat nehty na rukou strachy o hlavní hrdiny. Anebo taky ne, protože žádná postava tu není vyloženě pozitivní. Možná Heather, ta je jen trochu pitomá. Tahle knížka je o strachu a o jeho př
Elizabeth
I always set the bar low, and OF COURSE this book passed all of my expectations and then some. It was relatively fast paced and had some good challenges. I liked that I didn't feel the need to like every character all the time. I felt like Oliver writes very human people who do screw up, and this novel shows them at their worst of times (at this point of their lives). Even though the two main characters come from similar "side of the tracks" their stories were different and it shows how complex ...more
Nova Zaiden
Books, Books, And...: * Panic 1 2 Jul 01, 2015 12:32AM
Addicted to YA: Panic 21 275 Jun 29, 2015 02:34PM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Panic (Panic): Jul 20 4 6 Jun 27, 2015 07:38PM
Between Words: June Stand Alone Book: Panic 2 3 Jun 20, 2015 08:33AM
♥!The Young Adult...: Panic 13 69 May 07, 2015 07:14AM
Escape Club YA Bo...: February 2015 book club: Panic by Lauren Oliver 14 13 Mar 27, 2015 10:59AM
All About YA : Panic 7 30 Mar 02, 2015 09:07PM
  • The Edge of Falling
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
  • Far From You
  • The Shadow Prince (Into the Dark, #1)
  • The Vanishing Season
  • In a Handful of Dust (Not a Drop to Drink, #2)
  • Maybe One Day
  • Salvage
  • Vivian Divine Is Dead
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • This Side of Salvation
  • After the End (After the End, #1)
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • The Half Life of Molly Pierce
  • White Space (Dark Passages, #1)
  • Nil (Nil, #1)
  • Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)
Lauren Oliver comes from a family of writers and so has always (mistakenly) believed that spending hours in front of the computer every day, mulling over the difference between “chortling” and “chuckling,” is normal. She has always been an avid reader.

She attended the University of Chicago, where she continued to be as impractical as possible by majoring in philosophy and literature. After colleg
More about Lauren Oliver...

Panic (2 books)
  • Panic Origin Story
Delirium (Delirium, #1) Before I Fall Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) Requiem (Delirium, #3) Hana (Delirium, #1.5)

3 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“It was so strange, the way that life moved forward: the twists and the dead ends, the sudden opportunities. She supposed if you could predict or foresee everything that was going to happen, you’d lose the motivation to go through it all. The promise was always in the possibility.” 108 likes
“She knew, now, that there was always light—beyond the dark, and the fear, out of the depths; there was sun to reach for, and air and space and freedom.
There was always a way up, and out, and no need to be afraid.”
84 likes