Start by marking “Batman Collection: Neal Adams #1” as Want to Read:
Batman Collection: Neal Adams #1

Batman Collection: Neal Adams #1

(DC Comics - The Legend of Batman #26)

Neal Adams war der Zeichner, der das Bild von Batman in unvergesslichen Geschichten für eine ganze Generation geprägt hat. Dieser Band mit neu kolorierten Nachdrucken dieser Klassiker sammelt chronologisch die ersten unvergesslichen Geschichten aus World’s Finest und The Brave & The Bold!
Published 2008 by Panini Comics (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Batman Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman Collection

Joseph
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it sucks to see these comics re-colored according to modern technology, overall this is a nice collection of late 60s Batman stories penciled by Neal Adams. Some are from World's Finest Comics, and thus also star Superman, and the others are from Detective Comics and The Brave and the Bold, guest starring the Creeper, Flash, Aquaman, and the Teen Titans.

Adams is a first-rate illustrator to begin with and his modern style helped propel DC into the modern Bronze Age by showcasing unique a
Javier Muñoz
Historias conclusivas con un gran dibujo, desfile de personajes míticos de DC (superman, aquaman, green arrow, deadman, los nuevos titanes)... esos son los puntos fuertes de este cómic. Lo malo la colección de tramas de tono pulp, intrascendentes, confusas, inconexas, absurdas y con diálogos pésimos... mejora mucho por el gran dibujo de Neal Adams, pero como cómic ha envejecido muy mal.
Jacob
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, there are 3 volumes made, but thus far volume one has only been printed in TPB format. Because Neal Adams is one of the finest artists of all time this book is really worthy of a 5 star rating, however there are some reproduction flaws that are subjective as whether or not you the reader will appreciate the work more or less. Namely the art has been recolored digitally, which is fine, but as I've done my research online about this book when it was in HC format, the first volume blew its ...more
Summer
Neal Adams's run on Batman was a turning point for DC, bringing the artwork from the garish and simplistic drawings of the past to the realistic and dynamic pages of the present. Unfortunately, the writing hadn't yet caught up at this point, which makes these stories a pain to read. They're still stuck in the mold of gimmicky superhero teamups and there's no classic Batman villains in here at all. What you see a lot of is Superman, Deadman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Robin,The Creeper, and Jimmy Olse ...more
Kirk
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be clear, I did not read every issue in here. But I really enjoyed the run with Creeper and the run with Dead Man.

These comics come from 1968 and 69. I really enjoy looking at comics from this era, but I’m starting to realize I enjoy the aesthetic-including ads and the faded color-more than the actual stories themselves. The stories contained herein seem to be freshly-inked, and of course the ads are gone. This leaves readers with just the stories to stand on their own merit. And I’ll be hone
David
Best Batman run ever. Well, tied with Jim Aparo's run on The Brave and the Bold.
Kyle Berk
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Batman by Neal Adams is really something to read. The stories are defiantly so very nice to look at past a few issues. But they are definitely from the age they were written in, excuse certain parts of issues where they use the visual imagery.

But in that period comics still overexplained themselves over and over again and it’s exhausting sometimes really.

Yet, I love comic books. I love them so much and there are always good comics being produced you just have to find them. And there is lots of f
Matt
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neal Adams is a comics genius. This first volume of his Batman works is not indispensable, though. Why only three stars?

1. These stories are not up to the art. Adams' Batman is associated with the grim, gritty return to capital-C Crime that the character made in the early '70s: The Joker started actually killing people again, etc. These stories are still transitioning out of Silver Age goofiness and, for me, The Brave & The Bold team-ups were always among the worst of the era. Prepare for l
Kevin Mann
Oct 04, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently there are THREE of these....i mistakenly thought there was only one when i bought it and was not pleased to see missing, the great work with o'neill. :-(
Michael Emond
There are three volumes in this series and this one has the weakest Batman STORIES due to the writing of Bob Haney. He was a prolific Batman writer (especially Brave and Bold and Teen Titans) in the 60's but his stories are very poorly written by today's standards, even from a fun perspective. Gardner Fox's stories still hold up due to their inventiveness but not Haney's. However, this is about the art and even in that sense this is the weakest of the volumes being the earlier Adams work. Howeve ...more
Jason Luna
Nov 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like the title implies, the main reason for this book is the artwork of Neal Adams. And the artwork is pretty good. Neal Adams does a great job of displaying the kinetic energy of his characters, the emotional distress, and just a dynamic eye for detail and physicality in the characters size and strength. It's good art.

But as good as it is, pretty great, this volume it is mitigated and devalued by coincidentally some pretty bad Batman stories that drag on and get repetitive.

The couple of issues
Robert Owens
I've been searching for comics to read. I have been all over the place in my search. Recently, I have been considering Batman. Many of the online recommended reading lists suggest beginning with Year One. Part of me has wanted to get into something from the 1970s. No list I have read for any title has gone there.

Today I stumbled across something that highlighted Neal Adams. It explained how he rescued Batman from the campiness of the 1950s and the Adam West show. It stated Adams drew Batman in t
Ned Leffingwell
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I picked this up on Comixology. Neal Adams is the quintessential illustrator for Batman. The stories in these issues are zany. Batman and Superman have a puzzle-solving contest andBatman fights in WWII with Sgt. Rock. I like how stories were self-contained to one issue back in the day. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories but modern readers should be ready for contrived situations. The art is phenomenal and Adam's pictures feel like a gritty, street level superhero caper. Recommended for o ...more
Chris Orme
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
29/100 (2019 Reading Challenge)

I love the classic stories. Like I love classic sci-fi, it just has something, a charm.
Batman fighting Nazis, how can you go wrong with that. Actually compared to modern stuff (dependant on the author) I find there is a lot more reading here. Don’t get my wrong appreciating a nice bit of comic art work is part of the joy of reading a comic but the story is a big part too.
Andy
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
First, the Neal Adams artwork here is spectacular, art that transcends its time and pushes the boundaries in so many ways. The stories themselves are very much of their time and I think you have to consider than when evaluating the book(s). Clearly some are better than others, but the art is consistently amazing. On to Volume 2...
Nate
Still… threatening, uplit, the ultimate villain hero. His cape whips around him, almost alive. Smoke from below, head backlit… – notes from a sketch by Neal Adams, from introduction

Neal Adams is undoubtedly one of the greatest Batman artists of all time. His Caped Crusader is truly a dark knight: perched on a Gotham City skyscraper, his cape engulfing him as he peers down at the shadowed city streets. Adams began drawing Batman at a time when the character’s stories were stagnant and coasting on
Alex
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neal Adams is considered to be one of the most important Godfathers of Batman....right up there with Frank Miller and Alan Moore, and even its creators Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Adams, mainly as an illustrator, came along as Batman was hugely popular, but mostly as a campy, outlandish hero--he helped bring him back to his noir "roots." (Always been curious where exactly these "roots" are.)

This collection is from the late sixties, as comics where transitioning out of the Silver Age, with its sci-
Victor Orozco
Not too shabby, but it is a bit of a let down. Now I know that Neal Adams is one of the best Batman writers of all time. Responsible for giving the Caped Crusader a much needed boost after the 1950's had tamed him and the 1960's silly story-telling. Writing such great stuff such as the creation of Ra's al Ghul.

But this isn't it. In fact, Adams is still feeling a holdover from the 1960's camp and its a bit tricky to accept some of these stories. Still his Batman is a bit more moody and can see ho
Jamie Jonas
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As both an artist and a writer, I uncategorically state: No one, but no one, tops Neal Adams when Batman is at issue. The man did not invent this character, but he, with Denny O'Neil as writer, saved him from disgrace, gave him an incredible majesty, passion, and, yes, "coolness." Great though Alex Ross is as a contemporary comic artist, he's a long ways from surpassing Adams in his vision of the Dark Knight. I will admit that Adams' new artwork is unfortunately not up to snuff, but in his day h ...more
Adam Bender
Cool to see the beginnings of Neal Adams career drawing Batman. He is certainly one of the best, and there's a lot of great drawings in this collection. However, if you're looking for good writing, you probably should look elsewhere. For the most part, the Bob Haney stories collected here don't really hold up for a modern audience. The Green Arrow tale at the end was a pretty good yarn, but felt like too little, too late.

If you're a Neal Adams fan this is still a very cool collection. However, I
Joe
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are the stories and look that changed Batman forever from a campy hit TV show to the Dark Knight Detective. Neal Adams worked hard to create a visual look that was moody and dark as opposed to the bright look of earlier books. His attention to detail raised the bar back then and set the standard for years to come. The chance to read the stories again and see the artwork on nice heavy white paper with the art remastered for the series is one not to pass up....and you can also see Neal set t ...more
Fraser Sherman
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the late sixties/early seventies, Neal Adams redefined the look and mood of Batman. This collects his earliest work on the character from stories in World's Finest and Brave and Bold and it's fascinating to see him improve in his handling of Batman. The scripts are frequently sub-part--"But Bork Can Hurt You" has great Adams art but the plot is batshit. Worth reading if you're an Adams or a Bat-fan though.
Francorum Martinezku
con una introduccion llena de honestidad y humildad, Adams nos prepara para lo que fue una epoca, simple brillante e ingenua, el arte de Adams cuenta con una evolucion constante y supera muchas veces las historias de la epoca, la galeria de personajes de la Silver Age que aparecen es una paleta de colores maravillosos en manos de Adam y como el dice fue el comienzo del despertar del gigante dormido.
Paul Young
Worth checking out for the art alone and considering the historical perspective. Neal's art helped Bats and DC turn a corner in the late '60s and early '70s. Stories are still the dreck of the silver age. I spent more time taking in how Adams constructed his pages than I did on the stories.
Alexander
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous artwork from a seminal artist who was responsible for many of the changes seen in DC in the 1960s.
Anne Barwell
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the artwork - these are the artists I grew up on when I was reading comics years ago. However, the storyline lets it down a bit and is definitely dated.
Mark Ciemcioch
Haiku Review:
Iconic cover
story not in collection;
Adams' art is rough.
Ondra Král
Adamsova kresba je na rok '68 naprosto peckoidní, o plytkých scénářích se to bohužel říct nedá.
Owen Taylor

• Batman: War Games, Act 2: Tides
  • Batman: War on Crime
  • Robin/Batgirl: Fresh Blood
  • The Catwoman: Her Sister's Keeper
  • Batman: The Stone King (Justice League of America, #2)
  • Batman: Death by Design
  • Hellboy: Masks and Monsters
  • Batman: The Many Deaths of the Batman
  • The Flash: The Return of Barry Allen
  • Batman: Long Shadows
  • The Complete Frank Miller Batman (Batman Year One + Batman Dark Knight Returns)
  • Batman/Houdini: The Devil's Workshop
Neal Adams is an American comic book and commercial artist known for helping to create some of the definitive modern imagery of the DC Comics characters Superman, Batman, and Green Arrow; as the co-founder of the graphic design studio Continuity Associates; and as a creators-rights advocate who helped secure a pension and recognition for Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

Adams was ind

DC Comics - The Legend of Batman (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Batman Eternal Part 1 (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman Special #1)
  • Batman Eternal. Part 2. (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman Special #2)
  • Batman Eternal. Part 3. (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman Special #3)
  • Batman Eternal. Part 4. (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman Special #4)
  • Batman & Robin. Eternal Part 1
  • Batman & Robin Eternal Part 2 (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman Special 6)
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer? Volume 1. (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman Subscriber Exclusive #1)
  • Batman Cover Art. 1939-2017.
  • Batman, Volume 4: Zero Year: Secret City
  • Zero Year: Part 2 (DC Comics - The Legend of Batman #2)