Start by marking “Searching for Beautiful” as Want to Read:
Searching for Beautiful

Searching for Beautiful

Before, Brynn had a group of best friends, a loving boyfriend, a growing talent for pottery. She had a life. And after…she had none.

Published March 4th 2014 by Entangled Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Beautiful

Start your review of Searching for Beautiful
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
DNF at 45%

To say that this book is not for me is an understatement. I think it’s one thing to feel and another to feel to a point where it becomes the breaking factor for you to not want to read anymore. In this case, the latter rings true for me as the book drove me over the edge and I still get angry thinking about it. A friend who had read this book already messaged me asking what went wrong since she enjoyed it so much and this was my reply (which will now serve as my review).

“Honestly? The
AJ
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult, drama
Nyrae Dawn always has tackled some really tough issues in bringing us the story of a very broken teenager struggling to find herself again.

Brynn was your average 16 year old girl. With a happy home life, she had a great relationship with her parents, fantastic friends, a boyfriend, a passion for making pottery, and she wanted nothing more than to find a love as epic as the one her parents shared.

But her life is completely shattered when, reeling from the sudden death of her beloved mother, she
Jacqueline's Reads
Jul 29, 2013 marked it as considering
Cover reveal, BLURB, EXCERPT!!!

From Nyrae's BLOG <3

When Brynn lost the boyfriend who never loved her, the friends who feel she betrayed their trust, and the new life just beginning to grow inside her, she believes her future is as empty as her body. But then Christian, the boy next door, starts coming around. Playing his guitar and pushing her to create art once
Valerie
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love Nyrae Dawn books. They deal with emotional, real things and have characters that get to me.

I just didn't feel that way this time. I had a hard time connecting to Brynn. She's 16 but her character felt more like my 13 year old students. I didn't like Jason at all. I didn't like her friends. I felt sorry for her dad.

The story was hard to accept. Problems were fixed to easily. I had a hard time with the flow of befoe and after chapters that took us back and forth between "the incident".

Th
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!
I love Nyrae's writing, she is just such a great author with heartfelt stories that are so filled with hope and promise. I couldn't resist her books even if I tried, which I would never do because the girl is on my auto buy list but still, you get the idea.

Her writing, her characters, her messages, all beautiful. All wonderful and all ones you don't want to miss out on.

There are very few authors that are my go to authors when I know I will get exactly what I want when I want it and s
Deniz
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most beautiful books I've read. I mean I think my love for Dawn's writing is kinda a well known fact. I would read anything she writes. But while I like her spunky hot male Characters, she managed to surprise me with Searching for Beautiful with her beautiful and thoughtful prose, but more so, by breaking my heart over and over, then leaving me speechless!

Ever since I finished Searching for Beautiful, I am pondering on how to write this review.  It is definitely the most beaut
*P
Another 5 star review for Nyrae Dawn

Let me just say I am a huge fan of Dawn's writing and she has always done such a marvelous job writing broken characters. Well she does it yet again. Most of her books that I have read are in the NA genre and this one is more YA/teen so the steamy is not their but the feelings and chemistry of the characters certainly is.

The story is told from Brynn's POV. She is a 16 year old girl who has had her world torn apart at home, at school, and everywhere in between
Heather andrews
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Nyrae's writing she's just one of those authors whose books I always read no matter what the content in the book is. I can tell you right now Jason, I didn't like him he was a complete scum bag, "I was right, Red. Wouldn't it have been easier just to listen to me? We still could have been together, you know. And now you're alone, aren't you? That's what you get for betraying me." Christian he has a good heart about him and I loved him for it, "I try to stand but Christian grabs my wrist a ...more
Cheryl
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! It deals with some powerful issues in a sensitive but not overdone way? I highly recommend this to YA readers everywhere! The characters are believeable and love able and you cry one minute and laughter he next as you read. The readers leaves the story feeling affirmed about the power of love, strength, family and friendship.
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
Lindy
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:

Nyrae Dawn is a very talented author. I have read and treasured every book in her Charade Series, and was excited to read Searching for Beautiful. However, it should be said that the Charade Series and Searching for Beautiful are vastly different reads. Searching for Beautiful by Nyrae Dawn, was a profound story full of depth, and meaning. It's about the pains and struggles of growing up, as well as dealing with very painful losses. This story was very slow paced, well-developed, and
Leah
DNF @ 5%

In only the very first chapter there is mentions of/implied rape/statutory rape (the MC's boyfriend at the start of the book lied to her about his age--told her he was under 18 but is 23, she's 16), gaslighting, victim blaming, slutshaming, teen pregnancy and miscarriage.

That's all a little much for the very beginning, and I have no interest in reading further when there wasn't even so much as a trigger warning for any of these things.
Fiza
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5* out of 5*

*Arc courtesy of Cameron from Entangled Publishing*

*****************************************

“Why did I lose it all,”

The one who she thought loved her unconditionally, lied, betrayed and alienated her from her friends, caused the rift with her father (left by the death of his wife and her mother) to widen.

After her mother's death Brynn loses herself in guilt and pain, in the process she shuts everyone else out. But Jason is there at the right time with the right words. He charm
Ruth B
Searching for Beautiful is a YA book with all the classical elements of the genre, an anguished teenager girl, the sweet boy, tears and drama. However, the author achieves to create a book that is more than a simple story about redemption, forgiveness, friendship, grief, moving on and love.

To be totally honest, somewhere around page sixty of my copy I was about to dump this book because of the constant reminder of her suffering and self-pity. But I decided to keep reading and it turned out to b
Shelley
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ARC generously provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Brynn was a happy girl who had it all. Yes she had been adopted, but that never bothered her because her parents always made sure she knew how much she was wanted. She could not have picked better parents. She had great friends and was an all around happy girl. Then her mom dies suddenly and her world is turned upside down.

Brynn is thrown into a depression and her friends don't know how to reach her and her father is drowning
Kathy Horsman
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: Searching for Beautiful by Nyrae Dawn Warning: This book contains all sorts of feels. I am not even lying when I say that either, this book is a roller coaster of grief and loss, love and heartbreak, rekindling and  snuffing out of flame. It is just all over the place with what it tackles revolving around one character. At the end of the day, however, what I found out was that Searching for Beautiful may have been a coming of age story about a 16 year old girl, but it was more about the ...more
Alice Olivia Scarlett
Initially, I was very hesitant about this. From the blurb, it looked like yet another YA where a girl meets a boy who makes her life complete… Although Searching For Beautiful did have traces of that, it was more a story of self-realisation. Christian does help Brynn get her life back on track, but not in an obsessive, needy way; and just as much help comes from Brynn’s father and female friends.

Brynn was an interesting character. She had a tendency towards self-pity, and she did wallow in her g
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Bryn expects her boyfriend Jason to support her when she tells him that she’s pregnant; so to be told to have an abortion, and for him to question the father of the baby really shocks her.
Unfortunately Bryn then miscarries, but still has no support from her boyfriend and friends as they all seemingly turn against her.
Why isn’t Jason supportive? And ho
Lex
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, contemporary
Received an ARC from the publisher in exchange of an honest review. Thanks, Cameron of Entangled Publishing!

I honestly didn't thought that I would like this book. I know that my friend, Deniz, love this book. So I was kinda expecting a LOT from Searching For Beautiful. On the impression that this is such an epic book. lol.

Searching for Beautiful is the first book I have ever read by Nyrae Dawn. The first 30% or so, I was worried I wouldn't continue reading the book. It was a bit lame for my
Jessica
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Searching for Beautiful is one of those books that I wanted to be good, but I was disappointed. I want Brynn to be a strong main character, but she fall short from the moment I started to read this book. Yes I know that she’s has had a lot of things happen to her, but If she would have had some kind of backbone when her tormentor called her she wouldn’t have gone, then berate herself after. I didn’t like how she didn’t learn from her mistakes and move forward, she couldn’t let the past go and sh ...more
Brandi Kosiner
Feb 24, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
Stopped at 11% after skimming since 8%
I wanted to read searching for Beautiful because it had all of the elements that I normally love in a story. There is a hint of pregnancy, of loss of a parent, the cute boy next door romance. Unfortunately I just couldn't connect with Brynn. I think that I needed to get a better sense of her character and their relationship instead I think that I was thrown into her story at a really hard time for her, and it was hard to feel for her since I didn't know her.
Dunja *a chain reader*
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: night-owl, reviewed, ya
When things go wrong it is hard to find a way out. When you are full of blame and anger it is hard to open your heart and soul to anyone, especially if you think that no one will understand you. That is exactly what happened to Brynn. One day she was happy girl surrounded by the people who love her, another day her mother is dead, she is friendless, her relationship with her boyfriend turns out to be a lie and on top of that she is pregnant. Although it seems that Brynn wants to drown in her sor ...more
Michael Burhans
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nyrae Dawn does it again with a powerful and realistic portrayal of a 16 year old girl whose suffers an extreme emotional loss, then compounds that with a few bad decisions until her life begins to completely unravel. Can she find the strength to put things back together and reclaim control of her life?

Well drawn characters facing real world issues and making realistic decisions. I found this book to be excellent in every way. Not always comfortable, and our protagonist is not always lovable,
Teresa
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
I love Nyrae's writing, she is just such a great author with heartfelt stories that are so filled with hope and promise. Her Characters are so real and it makes it feel like people we already know and love. They remind us of the goodness that still exists in the world and when those characters finally find their inner strength, it is just beautiful.

I don't want to say too much about Searching For Beautiful as I don't want to give away details of what happens in the pages or what happens to make
Mandy
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Nyrae Dawn is one of my favorite authors and I was so excited when I read the description of this book. It is so good! If I had a teenage daughter, I would make her read this book. Highly recommend!
Lesley Peck
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
received an ARC for review...

An amazingly tender heartbreaking book. So sweet and realistic. My heart ached for Brynn and I spotted Christian. He was such a sweetie. Loved this book.
Gienelle
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urgent-pile, always
I LITERALLY CRIED FOR THIS BOOOK. SO BEAUTIFUL :(( I DID NOT EXPECT IT <33 SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS
Alycia
Out now!!! Grab it and fall in love!!
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves every star of my 5 star rating.

Some people may not think so, but obviously they have never been in a relatable position where Brynn's feelings remind them of their own. They obviously haven't been crushed by something so heavy emotionally that they become weak. Brynn's mother died. She was dealing with the big gaping hole that that left in her life. Her dad was destroyed upon losing his wife, the love of his life. He's so busy dealing with his own sh*t he doesn't see how much
Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.
My relationship with Searching for Beautiful was quite a bumpy one; at first, I disliked this book hugely, rendering the book a waste of my time, my spirit and generally a waste of paper; it's completely besides the point that I read this on my laptop, yet once I'd gotten myself through the first third with quite a big shove, I found myself invested, intrigued and most all, connected to the leading lady Brynn. After having spent around twelve chapters annoyed with her voice, her attitudes and he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • When You Open Your Eyes
  • Instant Karma
  • The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • The Sky Is Everywhere
  • Make Up Break Up
  • Losing It (Losing It, #1)
  • The Cul-de-Sac War
  • How I Saved My Father's Life (And Ruined Everything Else)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Rules of Rain
  • Slumber (The Fade, #1)
  • How It Ends
  • What They Don't Know
  • Death and the King's Horseman: A Play
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

News & Interviews

Jordan Morris is a comedy writer and podcaster whose credits include @Midnight, Unikitty! and Earth to Ned.  The sci-fi comedy Bubble is his...
“It’s funny how life moves in a complete circle sometimes. There might be lots of bumps in the road and maybe even a few cliffs, but it’s a journey, and sometimes it can bring you to the most wonderful places.” 10 likes
“I see her now.”
I stop and look at him. “Um, see who?”
“You. The girl I used to know.”
5 likes