Start by marking “Racconti del terrore” as Want to Read:
Racconti del terrore

Racconti del terrore

Ogni racconto di Poe è un inquietante biglietto di sola andata per il cuore profondo dell'orrore. "Non c'è racconto degno di questo nome se dalla prima parola non suscita l'interesse del lettore che deve giungere all'ultima riga per comprendere la soluzione finale", scriveva Baudelaire.
Le dieci storie di questa raccolta, tra cui i celeberrimi Il gatto nero e Il cuore
Paperback, Live #8, 125 pages
Published March 7th 2013 by Newton Compton (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Racconti del terrore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Racconti del terrore

Start your review of Racconti del terrore
David
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the complete Poe, and sometimes like to come back to this particular audio collection. Not only is it nearly all of his most famous tales, but this production is superbly narrated. Of the minimum half-dozen narrators I've heard of Poe's stories, including Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone, nobody is better or (in my opinion) even as good as Jack Foreman in this collection very early in the Recorded Books catalog. He nails the terror without going overboard as well as the subtle humor. ...more
Alessia
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect."
Professor
While Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone still are my favorite Poe readers, the reading here is mostly excellent (I wasn't totally happy with the Southern accent used or put on for the first story) and the stories are classic for a reason. Hop Frog is one I'm fairly certain I've never heard before and it's truly horrific and thus excellent. Poe is so influential to later horror that it is not always easy to appreciate his plots for the shocks they must have been in the 19th century, but his ...more
John
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 out of 5 Stars. Feeling the early creeping of Autumn, I was inspired to reach for Poe in an embrace of terror and the macabre. I had remembered his tales to be far more creepy and scary, but found only the macabre. All in all, I find I will have to look elsewhere to satisfy my Autumnal spirit.
Ashley
Heard a couple new stories from Poe I hadn't heard before, plus two of my all time favorite stories of his were in here so a nice mix
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this collection there were actual a couple in this one I've either never read or don't remember reading so it was awesome to experience some new Poe.
Amanda
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good little collection with gorgeous illustrations.
Amber
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some seriously wicked stories in here - really enjoyed them.
Carly Miller
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
Creepy and wonderful, just like I knew they would be. I'd love to read a full anthology soon!
Clint
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a big Poe fan, so it was easy for me to like this collection of audio tales. The narrator did a good job, although his French ascent for C. Augusta Dupin was too heavy for my ears. This is all that held me back from a 5 Star. I was looking forward to listening to “Murders in the Rue Morgue”. My favorite from this was “Hop-Frog”, a story I have read before, but not in some time.

I happened to be listening to this at the same time as I was reading Poe Must Die by Marc Olden which made the
Paul Barton
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, macabre, horror
I first encountered Poe in my early teens. I found a couple of his tales of terror in an old compendium called, I think, Tales of the Macabre. At an impressionable age 'The Premature Burial' seriously unsettled me.

This collection includes: The Fall of the House of Usher, The Murder in the Rue Morgue, The Cask of Amontillado, The Black Cat, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart and The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar - very much a 'best of'.

The modern horror novel is a direct descendent
Santi
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tales of Terror
By Edgar Allan Poe Selected and Illustrated by Neil Waldman

Today I will be telling you how I feel about the book tales of terror selected and illustrated by Neil Waldman. The stories have been selected from various books that Edgar Allan Poe wrote. Some are about murder others are nothing but suspense, but a few just make your skin crawl. As you read you’ll find out just why Poe is such a great author the words he uses and the context he uses them in are just astounding how he
Martina
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This collection was very diverse, so much so that in order to give an actual review I'd have to talk a little bit about each one.

There are ten stories total and of these ten, I'd rate four of them 5 stars, (The Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum and The Tell-Tale Heart)two of them 4 stars, (The Black Cat and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar)one of them three stars, (The Premature Burial)and three of them two stars (A Descent into the Maelström,
Brandon O'Neill
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit I'm not reading this. Just got it because I want to listen to the CD in my car. There are 4 tales on the CD that I am enjoying. Poe and October go together.
The 4 stories on CD - The Masque of the Red Death, The Black Cat, The Tell-Tale Heart an The Cask of Amontillado. The book has 2 other stories, an introduction to Poe and each story, and beautiful black and white illustrations by Michael McCurdy. One amazing thing to me is that he was writing about murders and torture in the
Irishlazz
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly Halloween - great time to revisit some old favorites. The narration was well done - not over done as could easily happen. Having seen most of them in film versions it was interesting to be reminded how clean & ... pure?... the written stories are. Hollywood takes all of what you imagine as you read and turns it into something gigantic. Not a negative by any means - huge fan of Vincent Price!! - just an observation. Of course the film renditions colored my imagination as I listened to ...more
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
I've read them in high school of course, but it was fun to hear them again in audio format. Poe is the master of suspense for a reason. Everyone should read most of these stories at some point in their life. For living in a time before psychology was a recognized field of study, he really understood the workings of the human mind.
Carianne
This is a good book for Halloween time! It's hard to rate, though, because there are multiple stories. Some of them really creeped me out, but some left me a bit bored, so I figured a rating somewhere in the middle was probably best!
Heather
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I listened to the audio book. I really enjoy Poe's writing. There were times when I zoned out while listening to the audio book, but that was mostly my fault. I definitely want to read all of Poe's work one day. I'm slowly getting there.
Donald
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, shorts
The tell-tale heart -- The black cat -- The cask of Amontillado -- The pit and the pendulum -- The masque of the red death -- The facts in the case of M. Valdemar -- Hop-frog -- The fall of the house of Usher -- The murders in the Rue Morgue.
Pato Myers
The writing is fine, but it isn't very frightening. Maybe I am just desensitized to it.
amanda
May 13, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarry and I can talk teens into reading it! I like this one cuz it has a CD in the back, sometimes I think Poe makes more sense when I hear it.
eyupcan
It was not like what I expected.I must say it is scary.
Monica Go
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I really enjoyed this; pretty creepy. My favourite ones are the black cat and the pit and the pendulum.
Susan
Jun 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Scared the crap out of me as a kid. You can't beat Poe for scary story reading late at night.
Marion
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone suggested that I read for Poe for Halloween. It was suitably scary!
Kim
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, he's good at scaring the crap out of people.
Joy Lane
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
Alessio
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
overall 3 but the black cat-the masque of the red death and the tell tale heart 5
Jeff Carr
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a awesome book! I love Edgar Allen Poe
Wade, Rosario, and Marco
Rosario is read this one.
La Stamberga dei ...: Racconti del terrore di Edgar Allan Poe 2 15 Jan 22, 2014 07:23AM

• The Late Mattia Pascal
  • El baile
  • The Blue Room
  • Sugar and Iced (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Il visconte dimezzato
  • Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • Cupid and Psyche
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Vanilla Beaned (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #8)
  • L'inganno della morte
  • Bianca come il latte, rossa come il sangue
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • The Shunned House