Start by marking “Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)

Read Book

Walk on Earth a Stranger

(The Gold Seer Trilogy #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  14,128 ratings  ·  2,687 reviews
Gold is in my blood, in my breath, even in the flecks in my eyes.

Lee Westfall has a strong, loving family. She has a home she loves and a loyal steed. She has a best friend—who might want to be something more.

She also has a secret.

Lee can sense gold in the world around her. Veins deep in the earth. Small nuggets in a stream. Even gold dust caught underneath a fingernail. S
Published September 22nd 2015 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Walk on Earth a Stranger, please sign up.
Katherine Locke In case you didn't see the update, Sept 22nd, 2015! :)
Jordan In case you are still wondering, right now the date looks like September 27th, 2016!

·  14,128 ratings  ·  2,687 reviews

Emily May

3 1/2 stars. Walk on Earth a Stranger is a very promising start to this historical/paranormal series set during the California Gold Rush of 1849.

Westerns - a genre that has been fairly empty for many years (outside of Western Romance) - are making a comeback. I have read three this year and enjoyed them all - Under a Painted Sky, Vengeance R
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
DNF at 50%. Where is the plot? Is there a plot?

What a disappointment. This book suffers from something that has plagued every single Rae Carson book I've ever read, however good they ended up being: it's slow as molasses. It started off so well, with a strong character and a rare setting in young adult literature.
I have a strange life; I know it well. We have a big homestead and not enough working hands, so I’m the girl who hunts and farms and pans for gold because her daddy never had sons. I’m
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book . . . GAH.

I was already a HUGE fan of Rae Carson from reading her Fire and Thorns books, so I was dying in the interim between series, scavenging for any bit of information I could find about what she was working on next.

And the more I learned, the more excited I became: a girl on the run with the ability to sense gold like a dowsing rod . . . during the California Gold Rush . . .

Pretty cool, right? I'm not a huge fan of American history, but even I t
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
4.5*
I really enjoyed this!!! Video review possibly to come
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Enjoyed a great deal of this, though I wish the characters and writing were a bit more complex. But I do so love that the author uses the word "boughten" at one point, because it makes me think fondly of Little House. <3

Review to come.
Faye, la Patata
Long story short: this book got me out of a dreadful book slump.

One of a bookworm’s worst nightmares? That feeling when you just can’t get into any book. I’ve started feeling this way recently, having started at least five novels in the last five days and not finishing a single one. I just couldn’t feel anything towards them. Is it me or is it the book? Either way, I was a wreck with the guilt, considering the backlog of books, ARCs and otherwise, that have been on my shelves for months.

Leave it
Cait • A Page with a View
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
So this is definitely more historical fiction than fantasy FYI. The only fantasy aspect is that the main character has the "witchy power" ability to sense gold, but that really doesn't come into play very often.

This was mostly a story of a girl who heads west disguised as a boy and meets an assortment of typical mid-1800s characters along the way. The story reminded me a lot of Under a Painted Sky and other YA stories of girls fleeing to California for freedom. There are all the typical threats
C.G. Drews
All I can say is: THERE BETTER BE A SEQUEL COMING. ERMAGERD. Actually I can say a whole lot more because, you know me, I'm a reviewer of many words. And I loooooved this book. I LOVED IT. OMG. I really adore Rae Carson's writing. It's as gorgeous and visual and eloquent as it was in The Girl of Fire and Thorns. And I'm a sucker for amazing writing. (Also for that amazing cover, can we take a moment??!?!? IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.)

This was also a bit of a nostalgic read for me! When I was a small fry of
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
After having read and loved Rae Carson’s The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy, Walk on Earth a Stranger quickly became one of my most anticipated releases of the year. And in many ways this book didn’t disappoint – it contained many of the things I loved about Rae Carson the first time around – however, I just didn’t love it as much. I’m clearly in the minority here since it seems that many readers actually preferred this book to The Girl of Fire and Thorns, but for me, the latter was just more c ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Hey guys, this book is $1.99 on kindle today 9-17-2016 and I also saw it yesterday on Bookoulet for really cheap for the hardcover. I don't know if it will still be there as you all know how they sell out really quickly on Bookoutlet!

3.5 STARS

I really loved the character Lee. She's so strong and goes through some terrible things that I just can't imagine. I felt sorry for what happens to her and all because of greed. But, she figures out what she needs to do to make sure she survives.

As we all
Tatiana
What started as a 4-star read gradually devolved into a 2-star.

I quite liked the beginning. Evidently, I enjoy historical fiction with hard working young girls without families making it in the world all by themselves (see my highly rated "Hattie Big Sky" and "The Hired Girl.")

What I don't like in books like this, I guess, are dull and dour narrators with no sense of humor and lacking in optimism, long, boring treks and the stories unnecessarily stretched out into series.

Gold Rush was an interes
Samantha
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/10/11/y...

From the very start, I had a feeling that Walk on Earth a Stranger would be just the book for me. I have a huge weakness for fantasy western settings and themes exploring wild frontiers, so a story set in Gold Rush-era America about a young woman trying to make her way to California sounded exactly like something I would enjoy.

Ahem. Then came several of my Goodreads friends’ reviews comparing it to The Oregon Trail.

Okay, h
Lucia
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, ya
After surprise attack that shuttered Leah’s family, Leah has no other choice but dress as a boy and set up on dangerous journey to California - a place where she can put her secret gift of sensing gold to use during American Gold Rush era and start a new life for herself. And so it began, the adventurous tale that I grew to love so dearly.

"Trust someone, Mama said. Her dying words, burned into my heart. But she was wrong. When there’s gold to be had, you can’t trust anyone. Not a single soul."
Giselle
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review.

I didn't know what this book would entail but I had no idea it would be about women and their roles back in the days where everything was unequal. It super sad sad our main character Lee had to be dressed as a boy to get anything done. There are moments where other side female characters had to defer to their husbands in every way. Like they were property and not a human being. The men and women roles in th
Samantha
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book from Rae Carson! It starts a little slow but it soon picks up and become quite engrossing as you go along!
Love the mix of fantasy and western themes. I also loved all of the various topics she touched on in this novel: feminism, racism, LGBQT characters, everything was just so well done and I look forward to the sequel!
Helen 2.0
2.5 stars.
Ever played the game Oregon Trail? Walk on Earth a Stranger is a teen hero story version of The Oregon Trail.

I like the Gold Rush Era, it's a fascinating time in US history. But if I wanted to learn about what it might be like to travel west in the mid 1800s, I would have picked up a history book, maybe an old diary. I did not want a history lesson, I wanted a YA paranormal romance book in a historical setting. Unfortunately I got the former and not the latter.

Lee has this amazing powe

“The gold sense sparks in the back of my throat, sharp and hard. It creeps down my throat and into my chest, where it diffuses into a steady buzz, like dancing locusts.”

This was a YA fantasy story, about a girl who could detect gold.

I felt quite sorry for Leah, the things she went through with her parents and her uncle was awful, and what she was then forced to do was also
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Not even gonna lie,
i bought this just to make my bookshelf prettier.
This cover is gorgeous!

Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
*2.5/5 stars*

I'm really sad that this book didn't work out for me. I love Carson's Fire and Thorns trilogy so I expected to fall in love with this book as well, sadly it didn't happen. Walk on Earth a Stranger is not a bad book by any stretch of the word, but it wouldn't be for everyone either. Objectively, yes, it's quite great book, but I felt so very disconnected from everything. The characters - while I found the MC admirable, I couldn't really connect to her, neither any other characters (a
Whitney
I love this book so much. It is currently 2:18 AM in my neck of the woods so I will have a review up tomorrow. But for right now all you need to know is this book is amazing and YOU NEED TO READ IT.

**Minor Spoilers Ahead**

"The presence of gold fades with distance, but never leaves me. Maybe, in California, it will infuse me constantly, like the warmth of my own private sun."

This is the first book I've read by Rae Carson and it certainly will not be the last. I loved her writing and the charac
♛Tash
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-god-youths
Review also on

This is the stage for Rae Carson's Walk on Earth A Stranger. Leah "Lee" Westfall is a very special girl, she can witch up gold. She can sense the presence of gold and the bigger the piece, the stronger the sensation she feels. Needless to say that a girl with her abilities is a prime asset in their gold rush town, but I imagine it will be useless in our time and age. Lee and her family kept this special ability a secret. Instead of striking out and making it big panning or mining
Emma
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gold-rush, fantasy
4.5 stars. A fascinating account of a bunch of disparate people in one wagon train and their determination to get to California in 1849 at the beginning of the Gold Rush. The main character is an orphaned girl who brings the group together through her courage and kindness of spirit.

As well as an excellent work of historical fiction, this novel is intended to have a light touch of fantasy to it. I think if you were anticipating this book based on that alone, it is possible you would be disappoint
Alyssa
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
I've had this one on my TBR for over two years now! :D

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
Book One of The Gold Seer Trilogy
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Publication Date: September 22, 2015
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

The first book in a new trilogy from acclaimed New York Times bestselling author Rae Carson. A young woman with the magical ability to sense the presence of gold must flee her home, taking he
Suzanne
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I found it a tad slow in the beginning of the middle but it could have easily been a five star review. I am starting book two now and just ordered book three. Loving this series! I haven't read many gold rush theme books but when I can find some in the fiction category I eat them up.
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Walk on Earth a Stranger may just be the best YA Western I’ve read so far. It’s all I ever asked for bundled into an exciting adventure that had flipping pages as fast as I could. Fair warning though, this book won’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

For as long as I can remember, reading books that feature journeys has been *my* thing. I mean lots of things are my thing, but I always find myself craving a good old adventure. Across a country, to
Andrea
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Now that I’m a girl, I’m treated like I’m nobody again, to be owned or herded or strung along, so helpless and awful that I must be redeemed or married off because it’s convenient for someone."

I've been looking forward to Walk on Earth a Stranger for so long. And I am happy to say it did not disappoint!

Walk on Earth a Stranger is about a girl named Leah Westfall who can sense gold. After her parents are murdered, Leah disguises herself as a boy and decides to head west to find gold and star
Drew
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Why do you spend so much time out there?”
“I don’t know.” I settle my head down onto the saddlebag. “Maybe because it’s the only time I don’t have to lie to anyone.”

This book follows Lee's journey to California during the gold rush. It's full of escapades like cows falling into rivers, frightening tales of Indians, children going missing, and Lee meeting and befriending new people.

Lee was an awesome, tough, well-rounded heroine. She flees her home and has to disguise herself as a boy so she ca
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Illusions of Fate
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • The Forbidden Orchid
  • A Madness So Discreet
  • Empire of Shadows (Bhinian Empire, #2)
  • Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • Skandal (Sekret, #2)
  • Under a Painted Sky
  • The Steep & Thorny Way
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Fire Horse Girl
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)
  • Salvage
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

The Gold Seer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
“Seems like I’ve been waiting for you to come around my whole life, Lee. But a man can’t wait forever and stay a man.” 20 likes
“Men can be relentless," she agrees, "when they think a woman belongs to them.” 16 likes