Start by marking “The Back Road (DCI Tom Douglas, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Back Road (DCI Tom Douglas, #2)

Read Excerpt

The Back Road

(DCI Tom Douglas #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  13,242 ratings  ·  638 reviews
One girl is fighting for her life. One village is struggling to hold tight to its secrets.

When a young girl is knocked over and left for dead at the side of the road, the small community of Little Melham goes into shock. Why was Abbie out so late at night, and why wasn't she missed?

For Ellie Saunders, the truth about that night could put her marriage and even the safety of
Published March 18th 2013 by Black Dot Publishing Limited (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Back Road, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kelly Buettler
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

really liked it 4.00  ·

Richard
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-series
I've come to the conclusion I'm suffering from BSP (book series panic). I get a buzz finding a good novel by a new author especially when it's the start of a series.
The continuity of plot, development of character and the familiarity of the environment make the world of a book series an attractive place to revisit. It's good to follow main characters, grow with them and share their lives for a while. It feels like visiting old friends. Only problem is that authors of successful book franchises k
Mike Gabor
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
When a young girl is knocked over and left for dead at the side of
the road, the small community of Little Melham goes into shock. Why
was Abbie out so late at night, and why wasn't she missed?

For Ellie Saunders, the truth about that night could put her marriage
and even the safety of her children in jeopardy. She has to protect
her family, no matter what the consequences.

Former DCI Tom Douglas thought that Little Melham would offer a
peaceful retreat from the daily trauma of his work for the Met. Bu
Shaina
4.5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨
This was really good! I will be reading more of Rachel Abbott’s work. This was an intricate plot that kept me guessing. I understood it without reading the one before; though had I known I would have read that one before. I may go back and read it now that I have finished this.
This was all about a small English village where it seems there are secrets and some are easily passed from person to person in typical village or small town fashion, while others are buried deep and fester.
Yeah
Eve K
Dec 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book had barely anything of a plot.
It spent about 15 chapters on one dinner party (basically the first third of the entire book) and that party served to do nothing except bore and set up extremely predictable and completely irrelevant subplots.
The last 10% of the book is mildly interesting but it's capped off with a lengthy explanation of the most predictable and unnecessary subplot of the entire book.
The amount of descriptions and references made to mundane every day life including SEVERA
Frenchie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who love thrillers and Agatha Christie's mysteries
I read before Only the Innocent from Rachel Abbott and I liked it, so, I knew The Back Road would be good.

The story could be summarised with this quote: ''One accident, but so many potential revelations; and the realisation that those we trust may not be worthy of it'' (taken from the book).

It all started with a hit and run on a countryside back road, where a teenage girl was ran over in the middle of the night and left for dead. On that fatal night, many people were out, travelling that road wh
Hans
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story that develops very very slowly. Tom Douglas was in it, but more or less in the background. I was a bit disappointed as I thought the first one in this series was very good and promising more.
Julie
If jumping to conclusions and failure to communicate were Olympic events, Ellie would go home with the gold. Frankly, it became tiresome. I almost didn't finish the book and if it had been paper instead of electronic, I would've thrown it across the room more than once. It's difficult to finish reading a book when the main character is a complete idiot who is completely unsympathetic.

This book tries hard (too hard) to be full of suspense and thrills but it plods and is predictable.

I probably won
Patrice Hoffman
The Back Road by Rachel Abbott has been one of the most up and down relationships I've had with a book in a long while. A young girl, Abbie, is left for dead on the side of a road that no one uses except the villagers in Little Melham. The news of her being in a coma after someone strikes her in a vehicle places a group of friends on edge who all have their own secrets they need to keep.

Rachel Abbott grips readers from page one with the Prelude that includes two young girls in a closet trying no
Ona
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018reads
This book is an exciting page turner with so many twists and turns. It has many odd and mysterious characters that keep you guessing as to who are the good and who are the bad ones. Quick and enjoyable read.
Erth
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Boring. Words just drug along. Couldn't force myself to finish.
Kathleen Jones
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having just read The Back Road in two sittings, I can understand why Rachel Abbott’s first novel, Only the Innocent, reached the Amazon no.1 slot and stayed there for so long. The Back Road will probably do the same. Not only is it tightly plotted, with intricate twists and turns, the writing is also of the highest standard.

The novel opens with a punch in the gut and goes on to tantalise. Leo and her sister Ellie have some seriously bad family history, but both girls have made good - Leo is a su
Nancy Silk
"No Excitement Here"

I thought this would be a very good read but I found it not to be. The prologue, for example, I believed initially to have happened in the past of a now mature women. But it wasn't. It was an event which happened the night before a very long narrative of a group of neighbors invited to a house remodeling celebration. The two main characters, Ellie and Leo, were raised together by a very dominating mother. The pace of this story is very, very slow. Frankly, I found it boring,
Hubblegardner
Oct 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
A pile of badly written tripe. The absolute worst book I have ever read. Use as doorstop or kindling for a fire. There should be minus stars on this app!
Jenny Worstall
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Abbott's new thriller, 'The Back Road', is set in the village of Little Melham, a village that is home to a surprising number of unpleasant secrets amd damaged characters.
The author cleverly presents intriguing details and scenes from the past, teasing us with snippets of information that sometimes send us off in the wrong direction. The intricate dance is played out against a setting of beautiful countryside and seemingly idyllic lifestyles (fabulous food!), a contrast that serves to hig
Bill Kupersmith
At various points I'd have rated this anywhere from 1 star (quit in disgust) to 5 (love it) - the odious would-be seducers were sleazy & boring & I got awfully tired of the author's not telling us who leather bush hat was for 200 pages altho' it was easy to figure out who he must be. Fortunately his fate is appropriate. I must salute the author's keeping me from guessing the principal villain. The characters talk a lot in clichés & there are lots of unnecessary minor plot lines that ...more
Stacia
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, crime-fiction
This book hit one of my pet peeves: the incredibly clunky scenes where the author goes to ridiculous lengths to try to hide the identity of the person whose actions are being described. Not using pronouns (and thus having to use cumbersome phrases like "the shadowy figure") results in the kind of prose that always throws me out of the book because it calls my attention to the words as words rather than the story they're telling. This is the second book I've read in the series, and as with the fi ...more
Mary Kjar
Jun 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous

I read this book about 2/3 thru, then decided because there was no plot or meaning, only a lot of words on a page, I gave up. I really don't think it deserves a one star. So much inner turmoil, infidelity, introspection.

Camille
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series!!! Can't wait for number three.
Heather
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one really kept me guessing, and I really enjoyed it.

A fourteen year old girl is hit by a car on a small town’s back road, then dragged to the ditch and left for dead. As she clings to life in the hospital, the residents of Little Melham are abuzz with rumors and suspicions about their neighbors as they wonder who would commit such a crime. Meanwhile, intensive care nurse Ellie has a seemingly perfect life: loving teacher husband Max and five year old twins, plenty of money from her deceas
Travis Starnes
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Generally the book is well written. Rachel Abbott is clearly a talented writer and the story does have a decent flow to it. It should be noted that this is the slow psychological style of thriller and not the heart racing, fast moving story that many thrillers have become. Abbott is focused on weaving a complex story and trying to keep the reader on edge, and for the most part she is successful. I found the dialog particularly well written. In so many thrillers the conversations are either weird ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
Having really enjoyed Rachel Abbott's first book Only the Innocent I was keen to see what she would serve up next. The Back Road didn't disappoint. This is a book of many strands, one of which is the relationship between Ellie Saunders and her younger sister Leo. Leo has come to visit Ellie in her newly renovated house, the house where the girls were bought up with a missing father and cruel mother. Ellie wants to find out where their father is but his relationship with Leo has left her unable t ...more
Malina Skrobosinski
These are the days of our lives... no wait... that's not right. So, for me, this novel was very much like a soap opera of a read, and not exactly a suspenseful thriller. Everyone is sleeping around... and sneaking around... so the question is, who is responsible for hitting Abbie Campbell on the back road? You know, it's kind of like an Agatha Christie novel... a classic whodunit, only in this case, the victim isn't actually dead.

I'm going to be honest, the storyline didn't work for me, but wit
Elizabeth
Confusing and disjointed

I've read previous books by this author and liked them, but this book was confusing and disjointed in that it can't decide if it wants to be a book reflecting on distrustful relationships or a murder mystery. I was expecting a murder mystery but that's not what I got. Instead this is filled with too many subplots that are tried unsuccessfully to be rolled into one big plot. Plus, nearly every character has some sort of issue that makes them completely unsympathetic. Every
Vinnie
Mar 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Oh dear ... I'm afraid this was not an enjoyable read . In summary : clumsy writing of very intense and emotionally complex topics with a background of other peoples' cultural references shoe horned in (including an appalling spotify playlist in the kindle edition). There was no need for 200 of the 400+ pages as nothing like enough plot took place to justify the length. I am very glad to have finished it......
Mari Biella
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes, as the tagline to Rachel Abbott's novel suggests, the quietest places really do hide the darkest secrets. The quiet village of Little Melham is the kind of place that might feature in Midsomer Murders: a seemingly idyllic, prosperous corner of the English countryside, which actually hides a host of nasty secrets and is inhabited by a surprising number of treacherous schemers. The dark underbelly of village life is revealed one night when a teenage girl is hit by a car, and left for de ...more
Lynda Kelly
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I preferred this to the author's first story but AGAIN I've knocked a star off for editing. Yes, that was better as well but on a paid book still not up to standard. Maybe by book 3 we'll be all systems go !!
It was nice to see the policeman from the last book appear here too though his taste in women hasn't improved, it seems. He does like to pick the troubled types. He's likeable, though.
In this story a teenaged girl is involved in a hit 'n' run on a village road. Being a road that's a shortcut
Daniel Moon
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I searched for a new book I filtered 4 stars or more, thriller and suspense and English setting. The English setting was the only filter that seemed to apply here.

This book went from exceedingly boring, to unbelievably frustrating, to utterly pointless. Instead of focusing on a few characters, this author has chosen to open up the lives of two sisters with an irrelevant and quite boring past.

The author introduces a whole bunch of other idiotic characters (with the exception of the main he
Pampuig
Sep 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Such an irritating book. Lots of obvious loop holes and the main characters in particular Leo is simply annoying - supposedly a life coach who pry's and pokes into people's lives. Way too many obvious glitches in this book for me. Sorry :(
Aspin
Aug 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Boring repetitive drivel
Tanninsandtales
May 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Might as well have been named 'Ellie's Musings'.
The Magical Unive...: The Back Road 3 15 Oct 06, 2013 02:46PM
Goodreads Authors...: NEW THRILLER FROM RACHEL ABBOTT - The Back Road 14 43 May 02, 2013 01:39AM
Connecting Reader...: THE BACK ROAD - new from Rachel Abbott 15 39 May 01, 2013 04:02AM

• Think of the Children (Jessica Daniel, #4)
  • Deadly Focus: (DI Jack Dylan 1)
  • Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • The Missing
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Stolen (Gardner and Freeman, #1)
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Never Forget (DC Nina Foster, #1)
  • Jack-Knifed (DCI Martin Phelps, #1)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • Misplaced Loyalty (Meredith & Hodge, #1)
  • Deadly Revenge (DS Jack Mackinnon #3)
  • The Fall
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • The Flight (Jenny Cooper, #4)
I was born and brought up in the north of England, and worked for many years as the managing director of an interactive media company. I wrote every day - everything from creative proposals to user manuals - but most exciting of all was writing interactive dramas - including for the Cluedo (Clue in the US) interactive games. I was fortunate enough to sell my company in 2000 and we moved to Italy w ...more

DCI Tom Douglas (8 books)
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas, #1)
  • Sleep Tight (DCI Tom Douglas, #3)
  • Stranger Child (DCI Tom Douglas, #4)
  • Kill Me Again (DCI Tom Douglas, #5)
  • The Sixth Window (DCI Tom Douglas, #6)
  • Come A Little Closer (DCI Tom Douglas, #7)
  • The Shape of Lies (DCI Tom Douglas, #8)
“A radio was playing quietly. Nobody was listening. It was there to drown out the silence.” 11 likes
“It was as if she would never be whole until the secrets of the past were exposed.” 5 likes