Start by marking “The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)

The Kaiser Affair

(The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)

When a master thief escapes from prison, detective Bettina Rothschild must put him back behind bars before the scandalous fiasco destroys the Ministry of Justice. Her investigation leads from decaying cemeteries where ravens conspire to warehouses where wondrous machines are built in secret, and even to the fabled Drifting Isle above the city of Eisenstadt where an ancient ...more
Published March 6th 2013 by Copper Crow Books

Pauline Ross
I recently read ‘The Burning Sky’, the author’s debut book, and while I loved the original setting and found the story a fast-paced steampunk adventure, the characters never quite came alive for me. The author had a truly wonderful response to that; he made the whole Halcyon series (of which ‘The Burning Sky’ is the first part) very cheap, and encouraged readers to decide whether they agreed or not. And he added: ‘I want you to go read my latest steampunk thriller, ‘The Kaiser Affair’, and let m ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
DNF at 22%

I may or may not come back to this, but I just wasn't feeling it.

It felt like all action, no words.
Erica
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved the start of this book, and I was completely sold on it when I was 3% in and encountered this sentence, uttered by our heroine, Bettina Rothschild, about her husband Arjuna Rana:
“He’s also a talented artist, speaks four languages fluently, has a photographic memory, and performs like a raging stallion in the bedroom. I can’t imagine that a snide cretin in a cheap blue suit with the body of a prepubescent orang-utan could really entice me to leave him.”
The start of the book is
Melissa Hayden
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, steampunk, fantasy
Partners on the job, and in life, Bettina Rothchild and Arjuna Rana race through their home town, Eisenstadt, on a wicked chase. The Ministry of Justice's Minister, Minister Kaiser, has an urgent and sensitive case for them... her brother, Ranulf Kaiser, has stealthy escaped prison. He only had twenty-three days until his release. Why? They don't know. Also Gisel Kaiser's appointment as Minister will be under review in two weeks. To keep her in position things need to stay quiet, or she'll be re ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Bettina Rothschild~Rana and her husband Arjuna are detectives for the Ministry of Justice sent out to stop a thief named Ranulf Kaiser. Ranulf Kaiser is the younger brother to Ministry of Justice Minister Gisele Kaiser. It's Bettina and Arjuna's job to return Ranulf to his prison cell as soon as possible without alerting the media of the jailbreak. Ranulf has four hour head start in Eisenstadt but that is soon cut short by Arjuna's photographic memory. Eisenstadt is full of talking birds such as ...more
Sam
I won this ebook from a giveaway on another website.

I will start off by saying that I am a huge fan of steampunk.

Anyways, The Kaiser Affair was a rather delightful read. I enjoyed the dynamic of the relationship between Bettina and her husband Arjuna. They kept me chuckling a lot with their verbal exchanges but I also found their relationship as rather sweet. It would have been nice if there had been a section of the book that talked about how they got together as I was really curious but still
Rachel Cotterill
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bettina & Arjuna are a pair of detectives in the city of Eisenstadt - above which the isle of Inselmond mysteriously drifts. The people of the city take this strange geographical feature somewhat for granted, so the last thing this husband-and-wife team expects is for a case to take them into the skies. I loved the relationship between the two happily married, but very different, characters of Bettina and Arjuna. And I was immediately sucked in by the plot - even rereading the novel for a se ...more
Monica
This is my first steampunk book. I enjoyed this story. And I love the fact that it was a freebie. I love when a free book is actually one that is interesting.

The Kaiser Affair starts with two detectives being assigned to capture an escaped thief, Ranulf Kaiser, who also happens to be the brother of The Minister. Bettina and Arjuna are the detectives given the task of finding Ranulf and bringing him back in without letting others know.

Bettina and Arjuna are married and I found them very entertain
Roderick Davidson
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very imaginative world with solid, dynamic characters. The two protagonists are well-written, and play well off of one another. Definitely one of the better examples of a married couple shown in a dynamic and positive light. This is a well-paced book set in a vivid and well described world. Lewis does it again in this book. Must have. Looking forward to reading other books in this collaborative world, namely Black Mercury by Charlotte E English and The Machine God by MeiLin Miranda.
Victoria
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting concept for the series. This novel was different from my recent reads, but with familiar steampunk elements. I really enjoyed the main characters and the dynamic between the two was great.
Willow Webster
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You did it again! Keep em coming please! One of my favorite authors!
Myra
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Everything was stupid. The writing was fine and I liked the other drifting isle books so I suffered through the whole thing. The characters were meh. Betty was not all that bright, and condescending. Arry was ok. Everything that happened was predictable but stupid. They are chasing this criminal the entire book and it’s just pointless. The stuff they find about the floating isle would be interesting if there was any point, but there isn’t.

Black Mercury was fun, the Machine God was descent, but
Eden
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
2019 - bk 36. Perhaps I just wanted in the mood... The Kaiser Affair popped up when I typed in Steampunk. Steampunk is set in an alternate universe Victorian London, US, Australia or other former member of the British / Austrian/German empires. The Kaiser Affair clearly states in the beginning and the end that it was a universe separate from all other (Drifting Isle) and the creation of several authors who each write books in that universe. The characters were okay, but 2 dimensional to me - not ...more
Hans Erdman
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Start!

Gawd, I hope Lewis is going to write more tales of Bettina and Anjua! Great characters, including the birds, weird but catchy storyline, and a sexy heroine who is monogamous and erotic only with the man she's married to. We need more women like that in fiction. Oh, and get a better picture for the cover. It doesn't do Bettina justice.
Nikki
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-library
Started this, fell in love with how the main characters were introduced and got all excited and....

...kersplat. The plot was boring. I skimmed probably the last 60% of the book and the only time I was remotely confused was when Arjuna seemed to have an inconsistent number of arrows. However, I didn't care enough to verify if there was continuity or reader error.

Bettina and Arjuna had the potential to be awesome characters, and while they're the only reason I stuck it out, the book was so...dull
Graeme Dunlop
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first book I read in the "Drifting Isle Chronicles" was "Black Mercury", which I didn't finish. In general, I find steampunk overdone and played out and "Black Mercury" didn't disabuse me of that notion.

Nor did "The Kaiser Affair". This is a frothy and lightweight adventure featuring a likeable but forgettable couple who, whilst supposedly the best detectives on offer, continually lose their prey. Lots of steampunk trappings, lots of frenzied activity, even mildly BDSM sex -- and it's all fo
Sue
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was fun. A good read, good story, fun characters. I love the idea that several authors got together and came up with an idea, then each wrote a story about it. I'm going to look into the other stories too. I've also picked up one of his other books to try.
Sharon Michael
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Good blend of urban fantasy/steampunk/detective with interesting characters and fairly good character development. Not something I couldn't put down, but it was an entertaining read and one I liked well enough to put the other books in the series on my TBR list.
Pete731
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable detective steampunk. I thought the writing was a little stilted, but a fun quick read non the less. Thinking about checking out the rest of the drifting isles chronicles.
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2013 added it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Fun, fast paced mystery/thriller that's pretty light-hearted and full of action. Pretty easy and enjoyable to read. I like the dynamic between Bettina and Arjana.
Faye
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ok for a change of pace. Not really my mind off book.
Butch 5
Apr 25, 2013
Ted
Jul 01, 2018
Spud Gun
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2018
Henry Williford
Aug 17, 2014
Bruno Di Giandomenico
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Fate War: Alliance
  • The Locket Thief
  • Wolf Dawn (Forsaken Worlds, #1)
  • Chasing the Lantern (Dawnhawk Trilogy #1)
  • Brightside
  • Assured Destruction (Assured Destruction, #1)
  • A Midsummer Night's Steampunk
  • The Convent of the Pure
  • Fargoer
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Nightmare City (Nightmare City #1)
  • Cold Copper (Age of Steam, #3)
  • Hour of the Wolf
  • Chasing the Star Garden (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #1)
  • The Exile's Violin (Tethys Chronicles, #1)
  • Turner
Joseph Robert Lewis enjoys creating worlds in which history, mythology, and fantasy collide in unpredictable ways. He also likes writing about heroines that his daughters can respect and admire. Joe was born in Annapolis and went to the University of Maryland to study ancient novels, morality plays, and Viking poetry.

www.josephrobertlewis.com

The Drifting Isle Chronicles (3 books)
  • Black Mercury (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #2)
  • The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)