Start by marking “Haunted House” as Want to Read:
Haunted House

Haunted House

(Afraid #4)

HAUNTED HOUSE is a sequel to the novels AFRAID, TRAPPED, and ENDURANCE. The survivors from those thrillers are all together, and put through a new kind of hell. Also included is Dr. Frank Belgium, from ORIGIN.

All characters have back stories. In the case of HAUNTED HOUSE, these back stories exist in other books.

While HAUNTED HOUSE can be read as a stand alone, and may be t
Published April 22nd 2013

To ask other readers questions about Haunted House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted House

Mort
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good...4 STARS?

I will confess that I am not a big fan of haunted house stories. They almost always have this formula to follow - but the formula had to come from somewhere, right?

When I think back of really scary, good haunted house movies, there are a few I'd seen when I was probably too young:
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR stands out, as well as POLTERGEIST and THE SHINING.
They scared the hell out of me, so I don't have anything bad to say about them.
Since then, though, not a lot of movies on this subj
Kimberly
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's hard not to love a book that ties together some of your favorite characters from previously-unconnected novels. :)
Peter
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eight people were selected to take part in a fear experiment at the old Butler House. Each person would be paid a million dollars for spending a night in this haunted house. Each one of the chosen people has had a terrifying experience in there past. For the eight participants in this experiment the biggest fear is fear of the unknown. Will their past experiences help them to survive this one?
Katie
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
DISAPPOINTING quality wise. Years ago I became a HUGE fan of Konrath when he was putting out complexly plotted books, that were perfectly edited and interacting with fans. Now that he has gotten rich that quality has disappeared (the last 3 releases have been wanting in quality). This book had a number of errors. First, were the NUMEROUS editing errors of wrong word usage, misspelling, and more than once using the wrong character name! Second, was lack of character development. Okay so, many of ...more
Natasa
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was fabulous!
It was funny, it was nerve wrecking, it brought back memories on certain characters you loved frokm previous books, you loved the new ones...like Moni and her dirty tounge and bad ass attitude lol and the super intelligent monkey with a helmet and a little gun :)))
It started creepy, became horror, ended happy end and kind with a good dose of humor.
If it weren't for all these characters that are binded together in one book I would have hated the ending...but if it was a bad
Justin
May 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Aleshanee
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grusel, horror
Das Cover hat mich hier sofort angesprungen und ich hab mich auf eine gruselige Gänsehautgeschichte gefreut, auf einen Horrorschocker, bei dem sich die Nackenhaare aufstellen - und ich wurde leider mal wieder enttäuscht.

"Das Haus strömt das Böse förmlich aus,
so wie ein Sumpfin kalten Nächten Dämpfe absondert."
Pos 1838

Ja, das klingt schon gut, aber leider kommt man im Haus erst nach der Hälfte des Buches an. Der Anfang zieht sich ewig hin, denn alle Beteiligten werden erstmal in einer großen A
Rachael
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Absolutely ridiculous, but fun enough and one hell of a ride.
Tressa
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it

An interesting concept of bringing together some characters in Kilborn's other horror books and having the survivors face their fears by signing up to stay overnight in a house with a bad history; the winner gets a million bucks. There were some frightening situations and I did enjoy the turn the story took near the end, but it seemed to have lost some steam and my interest in the last several chapters. The ending does make me want to re-read Kilborn's fantastic Origin. It was a fun, go
Dale
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this to be an interesting read after I read the authors previous book, Endurance. It uses characters from the authors other books in a *Survivor All-Stars* type fashion. It isn't necessary to read the other books first but I would have liked to, as I assume most would. I would continue on with the series or read some of the earlier works, but not at the top of my to do list.

Selected people are invited to take part in a "fear study" conducted at the infamous Butler House. The invitees wil
Angel Gelique
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great, gory and suspenseful story from a true master of horror and terror. This book contains characters from the author's previous books, brought together for a chance to win a million dollars if they can survive the night in a haunted house. No spoilers here, but a great read that I thoroughly enjoyed!
Marie
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great horror book - finished reading this book in two days - couldn't put it down. A real page turner. This was the first time I've read anything by this author, so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his books. If you like horror novels, you'll love this book!
John
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The survivors from some of the author's other books get together for a weekend in a haunted house and the shite hits the fan. This was a fun and suspenseful read!
Laura von Eden
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, ng
J. A. Konrath hat bereits einige Bücher in der Jack-Daniels-Reihe herausgebracht sowie unter dem Pseudonym Jack Kilborn. Ich habe die Bücher von Jack Kilborn vor einiger Zeit bereits gelesen und fand sie teilweise sehr gut für ihr Genre. Besonders 'Das Hotel' ist mir extrem im Gedächtnis geblieben und hat mir tatsächlich sehr viel Unbehagen beschert.

Daher war ich sehr erfreut darüber, dass im 'Angstexperiment' viele bereits bekannte Gesichter aus den vorherigen Romanen auftauchen. Das macht dire
Jeff Dawson
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Potential brilliance, gone bad

The Plot: A group of people, scattered across the United States have been solicited to spend one night in the infamous Butler Mansion. If they survive the weekend, they are guaranteed one million dollars. Who wouldn’t jump at the opportunity? The main characters were exactly that: caricatures: undeveloped and flat. Very disappointed

The pros: The idea of the plot was intriguing.

The cons: Too many too count. Misspellings, poor punctuation, overuse of cliques, redunda
Marvin
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
It is hard to know who to recommend Haunted House by Jack Kilborn to. To horror fans? Absolutely. It is a tight if stereotypical package of gore horror. Yet its gimmick may narrow the scope. Horror writer Jack Kilborn and his attached-at-more-than-the-hip mystery author friend J. A. Konrath have previously written six horror and mystery novels titled Afraid, Endurance, Trapped, Serial Killers:Uncut, Origin, and The List. In this novel, Kilborn brings back all the main characters of those books t ...more
Sheri
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunted House - A Novel of Terror (Jack Kilborn)

Eight people are selected to spend the night in The old Butler House, noted to be haunted. Each person who was selected had their own terror haunting them from their past. But they have an offer that seems too good to be true, 1,000,000.00. It is a lot of money and each person has their reason to accept this offer.

There is something evil going on in this house, it is filled with horror and violence and fear. Soon people begin to die in horrifying,
Julie Powell
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Phew, I'm exhausted from sitting on the edge of my seat and following this harrowing tale - brilliant.

Fabulous writing of a story of terror, where the characters were both believable and realistic, which brought alive the very real fear that can haunt us all.

I've never read anything by this author before, and despite not knowing the back stories of the characters, there was enough detail so that from the first I was invested in their lives.

An excellent read, if you like the psychological stance
Melanie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ja ja, das Butler-Haus. Da geht es wirklich nicht mit rechten Dingen zu. Das müssen die Teilnehmer des Angstexperiments dann leider auch am eigenen Leib erfahren.

Das Buch ist ein spannender Horror-Roman. Durch die wenigen Seiten nahm die Geschichte auch relativ zügig Fahrt auf. Die Charaktere wurden detailliert vorgestellt und man (in diesem Falle ich) kam während des Lesens nicht mit den Figuren durcheinander. Das, was ich erwartet habe, habe ich bekommen: einen soliden Thriller/ Horror-Roman,
Daniela
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2017
J.A. Konrath - Das Angstexperiment
eBook - 322 Seiten

Ich liebe Horrorfilme, ich liebe Horrorbücher - war klar, dass mich hier kein Weg daran vorbei führen würde.
Der Autor hält sich nicht lange mit Nebensächlichkeiten auf - ich bin es auch nicht anders von ihm gewohnt :)
Wir kommen direkt zur Sache, lernen die Charaktere kennen, erfahren etwas über die Lokation, dann geht's auch schon zur Sache.
Die Atmosphäre im Butler-Haus kann der Autor wirklich sehr gut rüber bringen, es wirkt authentisch, man f
Mary
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mika O'Donovan
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Lynxmama
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. Lots of twists and turns. Full of action from page 1 to the end. Made me really care about each and every person in depth. Would recommend it to all my horror loving friends.
Mary
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
HelloMyMedia
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Da mich der Klappentext und das Cover des vorliegenden Buches sehr angesprochen und mir die guten Rezensionen auf Amazon ein gutes und spannendes Buch versprochen haben, bin ich mit hohen Erwartungen an 'Das Angstexperiment' herangegangen. Ob das Horrorbuch diese einhalten konnte, erfahrt ihr in der folgenden Rezension.
Der Prolog leitet sofort ins Geschehen ein, was mich sehr überrascht hat, jedoch dadurch gedämpft wurde, als dass auf alle vorkommenden Personen erst einmal genauer eingegangen w
within.pages Marice
"Das Angstexperiment" von J.A. Konrath bekommt von mir drei Sterne.

Vorneweg: Die Formatierung ist an einigen Stellen komisch und die deutsche Übersetzung lässt leider zu wünschen übrig.
Was bei diesem Roman zu nennen ist, zu einem Horror-Buch wird es erst ungefähr nach der Hälfte. Davor werden alle Figuren durch wechselnde Perspektiven vorgestellt und begeben sich erstmal zum Haus. Zuerst dachte ich, dass durch den Prolog schon viel zu viel Spannung vorweggenommen wurde, aber da solange nichts pa
Bookish
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Inhalt

Eine Gruppe Freiwilliger soll eine Nacht im sagenumwobenen Butler-Haus verbringen und dafür eine Million Dollar kassieren. Ein Experiment zur Überwindung der eigenen Angst wird dort stattfinden. Doch werden alle Teilnehmer diese eine Nacht überleben?

Meinung

Tja, von diesem Buch bin ich mal ziemlich enttäuscht.
Der Klappentext ließ mich auf eine richtig spannende Story mit Gruselfaktor hoffen und nach dem Prolog war ich richtig guter Dinge.
Doch tatsächlich war dieser Prolog in der gesamten e
Turtelina
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, spooky-october
Über Mangel an Aufregung kann man sich nach diesem Buch wirklich nicht beschweren. Natürlich wars komplett gaga und extrem, aber es hat das bewirkt was ich mir gewünscht habe: ich bin an der Handlung kleben geblieben und konnte mich nur schwerstens davon trennen. Das Buch beinhaltet alles was man sich von einem Horrorbuch so wünschen könnte. Heftig aber genial. Ich kanns empfehlen.
Jo
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
1,5 stars
Tiffany

Jack Kilborn brings together eight of his surviving characters from previous five books in the Konrath/Kilborn collective. Most of these characters I was familiar with, except for one from a short story I never read, but it was still pretty cool to see them all together in one book. However, while it was a bit of fun, this is one of Konrath's weaker entries as the writing was choppy, the humor was misplaced, and th
Effective Haunted House Radio Advertising 1 1 Aug 18, 2018 04:37AM
Learn How to Plan Quality Charity Haunted Houses on a Budget 1 1 Aug 18, 2018 04:36AM
paced reading hor...: haunted house J.A. Konrath 100% spoilers 102 26 Jun 09, 2013 05:46PM
  • Origin
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • The Final Winter (Damienverse, #3)
  • Blood Alley (The Highwayman #1)
  • The Evil Within
  • Attic Clowns: Volume One
  • Lineage
  • The Third Floor (Angel Hill, #1)
  • 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy,#1)
  • Snow Day
Jack Kilborn is pen name for writer J.A. Konrath. The Kilborn name denotes his horror novels; the Konrath name his thrillers.

Afraid (4 books)
  • Afraid
  • Trapped
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
“Silence had its own sound; the steady, inaudible hum of consciousness, which made you realize how alone you really were in the universe.” 2 likes
“Looks like you invited the wrong goddamn dominatrix to your little party, bitch!” 1 likes