Start by marking “Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)

Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend

(Jewels of the Ton #3)

Lily Dawson, dubbed the Countess of Charm by the Prince Regent, acts the courtesan while her real purpose is spying for the Crown, to seduce a duke and test his loyalty. She really wants Andrew Booth-Payne, Earl of Darlington — the duke's son. Andrew is furious when he uncovers Lily's mission. His choices are impossible: to betray his family, his country, or his heart.
Mass Market Paperback, 324 pages
Published March 4th 2014 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend

Start your review of Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
Anne
I thoroughly enjoyed Galen's Lord & Lady Spy series, so I (through one of those Amazon Kindle recommendations, I think?) ended up getting kicked into this series. Which...eh. Not as good, in my opinion.
In all fairness, I started out with the second book, If You Give a Rake a Ruby, so maybe the first book was amazing or something.
But the second book was cute enough and it made me want to find out who the Big Bad was bad enough that I grabbed up this one fairly quickly afterward.
Annnnnd...?

Annnnnd...?

description

Yeah, it was a tad rushed and disappointing. The Big Reveal not the lovebirds falling for each other. <--that was ok
It felt like (once it finally happened) that it wasn't really given the proper run-down. I wanted a few tidbits about the how and whys of the whole thing.
Alas, it was not to be.

But that's ok. Kinda.
Because the romance wasn't badly done. I wasn't thrilled that it was one of those where the girl was madly in love with a guy who didn't know (previously) that she existed. It's just not my favorite trope. Whatever, you can't have it all.

description

I didn't like (view spoiler) And maybe that tainted this book for me a bit.

Overall? This was decent. I wouldn't run out and shove this series in anyone's face, though. If you're looking for a fun regency spy series (<--I think it's regency?) I'd recommend Lord and Lady Spy.
Mary - Buried Under Romance
As with Shana's other Jewels of the Ton books, I really, really enjoyed this one, despite that When You Give a Duke a Diamond remains my favorite of the series. In this tale, we see the transformation of Darlington from a friendly, affable young man in the first book, to a moody, brooding alpha hero in this book, one who is bent on uncovering all of Lily's secrets. And Lily was just a wonderful heroine, full of intelligence and spirit, with a sad past yet remains stubborn to her cause. I enjoyed ...more
Insh
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
—Confucius
Sammy Loves Books
I am so loving this series!!
Lily is my favorite of the three courtesans so far.

Lily Dawson
description

We finally got some closure in regards to Lucifer. Yep, he reappears and we finally find out who the traitor is.

The ending however was rushed. There was no wrap up with the three Diamonds and how they all faired going forward with society. That might be my only complaint about this book. I wanted a little more...which I believe to be the ultimate compliment to a writer. I wasn't ready for the story to end....sighs
Lover of Romance
Lily, ever since she was a little girl, admired her father for his profession and so she followed his footsteps and now works as a spy for the government. Lily has been called on a new mission, to seduce the Duke, Andrew's father and find out what secrets he is hiding and if he is a traitor. She knows that she will have one obstacle, Andrew. Lily has loved Andrew for years but he has never returned the sentiment, but has always had a interest in one of her closest friend. Now she is forced to ha ...more
Nicole Laverdure
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing romance with a surprising conclusion!
What a beautiful conclusion for Shana Galen’s last book in the Jewels of the Ton trilogy. I loved her previous books in the serie and I have to say that SAPPHIRES ARE AN EARL'S BEST FRIEND is my favorite! I have read the story of Juliette and Fallon, now happily married, now its Lily’s turn, one of The Three Diamonds, a charming courtesan and a spy in the service of the Crown. When I wish to read an excellent historical romance, I always choose a
Lindsey
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it

This story is truly about perceptions and reading between the lines, do not always believe what you hear or see. Not everything is as it seems. This book has it all; action, suspense, romance, steamy scenes, sexual tension, humor, sadness and mystery.

I really enjoyed Lily’s brave nature. She is a woman that doesn’t let action pass her by, she gets right into the middle of it. She is fierce and takes control. Lily’s backstory is heart-breaking but I admire her determination and streng
Lisa Hutson
There has never been a doubt that men are stubborn. Darlington is just that, stubborn as a mule. Determined and he will not give in. Will not listen to his true heart. His true heart is aware of the right woman for him.
Oh, don't be fooled. She does not make it easy for him. She is just as stubborn. And will not give an inch.
The story of Lily and Darlington is a roller coaster. This way and that.
Nearly the end of the wonderful series Shana Galen has put together. There is nothing like best fri
Patti
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Lily's story, there was plenty of action and lots of romance. The chemistry between Lily and Andrew was undeniable. The plot had me reeled in from the beginning and kept me wondering if the duke was guilty or not. There were plenty of twists to keep me interested till the very end.
Sophia
Whenever I'm looking for historical romance with a touch of daring and dash on the lighter side, I can count on this author to see me through. It's been a while since I picked up one of her books and the catchy title and gorgeous jewel-tone cover caught my eye. This was a book that got up to all sorts of high jinks and really can't be taken seriously as a historical if the reader is to have any enjoyment in this story.

I was aware going into this that I was picking up the third book i
Eileen Dandashi
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shana Galen writes an engaging spirited story, with characters popping off pages pulling me into the mire of their lives. And I jumped right in!

Lily Lawson, as a child was a dreamer, loved stories where magic could take her anywhere. Her special wish was to be invisible, a trait she wishes she could have had in her profession. This girl turned into a beautiful young woman, but her naiveté cost her dearly. Would she be strong enough, able enough, to surpass that past?

She h
Susan Gorman
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous!

Sapphires Are An Earl's Best Friend is the last book in Shana Galen's Jewels of the Ton series. In my opinion , Ms. Galen saved the best for last! Sapphires is filled with adventure, romance and intrique.

Lily Dalton is the heroine of Sapphires Are An Earl's Best Friend and is the most memorable and multi-faceted character Shana Galen has created. Lily is a courtesan known as The Countess of Charm. In truth, Lily is a spy working for the Crown. Lily's life has not been easy
Blodeuedd Finland
I should have written this review two days ago...oh well.

Lily is a courtesan...but not really. She is a spy for the Crown and she has also been taught by the Countess of Sinclair to sort of be a courtesan. Her reputation is forever in the gutter but at least her body is clean. She knows she can be charming, but she also know she is not as pretty as the two other famous courtesans (previous books). Also she has been in love with Andrew for ages.

Andrew is the son of a duke.
Jacknsusan knight
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book! SAPPHIRES ARE AN EARL'S BEST FRIEND by Shana Galen is the last book in the Jewels of the Ton trilogy. This story is about Lily, the Countess of Charm. Lily, Juliette, and Fallon, known as The Three Diamonds, were the most sought after courtesans in London. Juliette and Fallon are happily married now. Lily is feeling a little lost and lonely, but she has a job to do. She is really a spy, and her assignment is to expose a murderer and traitor to the crown. Unfortunate ...more
Maggie Hesseling
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Don't judge a book by it's cover. That's a lesson that Andrew needs to learn when he looks at lily. Society thinks of her as a cortesean. So does Andrew, but nothing can be further from the truth. And as they uncover the secrets Andrew's family has been hiding, they'll find themselves in more and more danger. Whether it's from each other or those that are commiting treason.

Lily and Andrew are great characters. Both wanting to do what is right, and at the same time protect their past
Donna
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lily has loved Andrew forever, but he has always admired her friend Juliette. Her job sends her to his father's house party. In the course of her investigation, she needs his help. Is Andrew involved in the plot or not? While solving the mystery, they become close. Andrew finally wakes up to the fact that Lily is the one he truly wants. Now he just has to convince her of that while keeping her safe. Or is she keeping him safe? Wonderful wrap up to the trilogy.
Susan
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
I so wanted to like this book, and I did like the plot. Or I liked it as far as I read it. But I had to give up about 1/2 way through because of the characterization. The author keeps telling the reader that the hero has certain characteristics, such as charming and witty, but we never see them. Not once in the entire first half of the book. I simply couldn't get past it, even though I read the first two books in the trilogy.
Keri
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this right up to the end. Felt like SG wasn't sure how to end it. Or rather it didn't feel finished to me. Maybe we will see a Christmas novella with all the jewels with their mens.
Marie
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh.
Too many subplots, secrets and intreagues to my tastes.

Shana Galen does like her spira and agents, but the vad written better.

Perhaps I was just not in the mood for this one.
Shauni
Originally Reviewed For: Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

In Book Three of Shana Galen's Jewels of the Ton Series, we learn Lily's story. The least "Beautiful" of the three Lily has a wonderfully dark and depressing story to share. Which is a brilliant end to Sin's (Lord Sinclair) girls. In a world where everything and I mean everything is based on speculation and reputation. Three women managed to make it work for them. Abandoned, betrayed, alone.. each has their own story and one common den
Diana
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rftc, arc
Yup, definitely 5 stars:)
*ARC received from publisher for an honest review
posted on ramblingsfromthischick.blogspot.com
What a fantastic story! This is what I call a can’t –put-it-down type of book. I loved this story for so many different reasons! 1) The characters were very interesting 2) It was packed with action 3) the writing was fantastic!

This is the third story of Jewels of the ton. There are two previous works about “The Three Diamonds”., Juliette (the Duches
Amy
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect finale to the trilogy!

Asked by Warrick Fitzhugh to investigate the loyalty of the Duke of Ravenscroft and if he was whom Fitzhugh believed, the notorious Artemis the Assassin, find the proof. Lily Dawson, the last remaining unattached member of the Three Diamonds was embarking on a mission that might cost her more than her lost reputation and her precarious place in society if she falls prey to Artemis or Lucifer – it might cost her life.

Andrew, the Earl of Darlin
Marilyn Rondeau
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dubbed the Countess of Charm by the Prince Regent, Lily Dawson has most all fooled that she is one of the notorious ‘courtesans’ referred to as the Jewels of the Ton. In reality her real purpose is to spy for the Crown and her latest mission is to seduce a duke of the realm to discover whether or not he is a traitor. The most difficult part of this particular ruse is keeping Andrew, the Earl of Darlington who just happens to be the dukes son - and the only man she actually loves - from completel ...more
Allie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This one had a bit more intrigue- I enjoyed it!
L.A. Miller
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The last book in the Jewels of the Ton series does not disappoint the reader. As expected, Ms. Galen creates a vivid image of a time long forgotten. From the glittering ball rooms of Ton to the bowels of the decrepit section of London. In this book we are reacquainted with our heros and heroines from her first two books briefly, but this book is about Lily and Andrew.
Lily has loved Andrew from the moment she first set eyes on him, but his heart was set on another, her friend and fellow dia
Phoenix77
2.5 Stars (rounded up for Goodreads)

I feel like I should have enjoyed this story more than I did. The Jewels of the Ton series has been a favorite of mine since book one and I was ready to see Lily get her man (both the criminal and her Hero). Sadly both pursuits seemed almost anticlimactic, leaving me with more a wish for things that could have been rather than the enjoyment of what I got.

I did like seeing Lily as a capable agent in her fighting skills; however placing her on a mis
Haeja
Sapphires are an Earl's Best Friend was one of my most anticipated books to read this year. But...it fell flat.

The story was okay, and I was really excited because the killers were going to be unfolded. But the characters were another story.

Lily and Darlington were presented to be charming, the most charming couple of the three couples, in fact, but I couldn't relate to them at all. They didn't feel charming; they seemed like characters I've read a hundred times from othe
Diane
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The final installment of this series definitely does not disappoint. The Countess of Charm, Lily, is a wonderful character. While most people see her as a courtesan, little do they know that she is a spy for the Crown. She is set to find who is killing the diamonds in the rough and is willing to seduce a duke to do so.

Andrew the Earl of Darlington is just as determined to stop her from seducing his father. He is still reeling from his mother's death and the subsequent bad behavior be
Helen
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one and I loved the series. This is Lily's story and what a sensual emotional one this is Lily has been through so much in her life and with the help of the Earl and Lady Sinclair becomes a top courtesan with the name of The Countess of Charm, but Lily is also a secret agent trying to prove a Duke to be a traitor. This is fast paced and a beautiful love story as Lily who has always loved The Earl of Darlington become closer as they get to the bottom of this story about rubies and tr ...more
Maria
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the last book in Shana Galen’s elegant and exciting Jewels of the Ton trilogy—about three courtesans, darlings of the good-time Prince Regent, who are not exactly what they seem—and my favorite of the three.

Shana Galen writes historical Regency romance with action adventure plots and a mystery. And nobody writes fight scenes like she does; they are realistic without being graphically gruesome or gratuitous. I especially enjoy how Lily holds her own and defends herself against
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 25, 2015 10:31AM

• My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • The Lady Hellion (Wicked Deceptions, #3)
  • Barbarous (The Outcasts, #2)
  • No Mistress Of Mine (An American Heiress in London, #4)
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Devil in Tartan (Highland Grooms #4)
  • Dangerous (The Outcasts, #1)
  • The Bargain (Regency #1)
  • A Scoundrel by Moonlight (Sons of Sin, #4)
  • No Other Duke Will Do (Windham Brides, #3)
  • The Handbook to Handling His Lordship (Scandalous Brides, #4)
  • His Sinful Touch (The Mad Morelands, #5)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)
Shana Galen is three-time Rita award nominee and the bestselling author of fast-paced, witty, and adventurous Regency romances. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books “lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven year ...more

Jewels of the Ton (4 books)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • When You Give a Duke an Indecent Proposal on Christmas Eve: A Jewels of the Ton Holiday Story (Jewels of the Ton, #1.5)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
“Now breathe or I'll do it for you.” 0 likes