Start by marking “Runes (Runes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runes (Runes, #1)

Runes (Runes #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  8,415 Ratings  ·  966 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her.

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he
Published May 20th 2013 by Firetrail Publishing (first published May 7th 2013)

Candace
The first book in the series, 'Runes' was good, but failed to leave me wanting more. As far as the story goes, it was okay. I enjoyed the fact that it was different from most of the paranormal romances that I read.

That being said, I never felt a strong connection to the characters. I wanted more emotion and more depth. I kept waiting for some sort of bond to form. It never happened.

Largely, I think this was a result of the fact that I'm not a member of the targeted audience. The story was clear
Ashley Marie
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kindle-read
I've noticed that most of the YA series I read are the same....Twilight, Lux, Hush Hush.... girl in high school meets bad boy....heated arguments turn into heated romance....the only thing that changes is the supernatural aspect.

yes this book was just like that....but I quite liked it. .. even though its like all of those other books and is quite cliche. it was well written and I definitely enjoyed the characters and I can definitely see myself falling more in love with the series.

also the endin
Angela
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 1-star-reads
This book has been popping up everywhere... Booktube, UK list, and was even recommended to me several times on Goodreads. However, I'm a little confused as to why this book has so much growing hype surrounding it. I have a lot of issues with Runes. This is a Frankenstein's monster version of Twilight, Lux, and The Mortal Instruments (very heavy on the Twilight). It's this freak creation that shouldn't have been brought to life.This review is going to be messy and unorganized, but I don't feel li ...more
N.G.
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
Puedes leer la versión en español de esta reseña aquí:

2.5 or 3 Stars

This was another buddy read with my fabulous and kick-ass friend Becca
 This isn't our first book about paranormal romance, magic, YA or love triangles, just so you know...and we had, almost all the time, something to rant about. It was sad because we thought we would really like it, after all, who doesn't like magic? I mean, is magic!
However, the magic wasn't the problem here, the characte
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
It's like if you take the Lux series, and then marry it with The Mortal Instruments, that's in the same neighborhood as this book. I know that's clear as mud, but it really is like those two books had a love child book, and Runes was it.

I do have to give props- urban fantasy has become a harder genre to write in. It's so saturated, that it becomes difficult for some new books to really stand out. Runes does manage to stand out. Honestly, just the cover alone piqued my interest, the blurb sounded
Muse-ic ♬
**Edit: Guys, it's with great sadness that I announce the passing of Ednah Walters :( I just found out through a Facebook fan group, and thought I'd pass on the crappy news :(((

It was really good, even though I wasn't as emotionally invested in it as I would have liked.
It's been a while since I've read this but I should have written that dang review ages ago. Now I don't remember anything of significance.
I remember enjoying it well enough. AND it's free on Amazon, so give it a shot, I'd say :)
Katrina
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again Ednah has upted the bar with this new paranormal romance.

Characters that you will surely swoon over and a fantastic new series that will take off with a bang.

The storyline is original, the plot intriguing, and I was eager to find out what was going to happen at every page turn. A few twists and turns to keep the reader on the edge of there seat.

A solid plot, and a great paced read, I can guarantee for all those who have read Ednah's Ya series, this one will be your very favourite.. **
Nasty Lady MJ
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twihards
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: It had Norse Mythology so the buy button was obvious
To see full review click here.

Welcome to an episode of book diagnosis with the help of a slightly modified version of the scientific method, I....Dr. MJ* will diagnosis what the fuck is wrong with Runes.

Question: What the fuck is wrong with Runes? The summary seems pretty good. Norse gods and YA. Whatever can go wrong with that....okay, I know a lot. But Norse gods. That's pretty bad ass for the most part (at least when Tom Hiddleston and Christ Hemsworth are involved).

Research: Consisted of rea
Catherine
Jan 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, myths, arcs
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews from me, go to thisisjustabookblog.tumblr.com
They say start the year as you mean to go on, so I guess that means I'll be reading bad books and writing harsh reviews about them.

It's not that I want to be mean. I understand and appreciate that someone has spent a lot of time and effort and energy writing this book. It's just that this book really irritated me, in many ways, and I wouldn't be a very goo
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4 Hearts

I am always looking for original ideas and unique storylines when it comes to YA paranormal romance reads, and every once in a while I do find that one book that takes me completely by surprise. Runes by Ednah Walters is exactly that book. With its every flip of the page, the story is brimming with mythology, romance, and intriguing twists and turns – it definitely made for an addictive read. Aside from a few minor disputes, Runes left a distinct impression on me, and I found mys
Beth
A Runes Pen
Giveaway Runs May 13 - 20, 2013

Click Picture to Enter:
 photo cce9462f-1c5f-48ad-a73d-61cbe8dbd702_zps4c47babf.jpg

Raine Cooper’s life has been in turmoil ever since her father was lost during a plane crash. Her mother insists he’s still alive and her best friend Eirik might have to move away. Now a mysterious stranger moves in next door and there is something very different about him...Well he is drop dead gorgeous but how does he always know exactly what she’s thinking???

Raine see
Karen Lynch
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raine Cooper is a typical teenager. She is on the swim team and she has her two best friends, Cora and Eirik. She’s coping with some stuff (I won’t go into because I don’t want to give much away). Other than that, her life is pretty normal. She’s waiting for Eirik to finally ask her out so they can move beyond friendship.

Enter Torin St. James. Torin moves in next door – into the house her friend Eirik used to live in. He’s hot, arrogant, a bad ass with a faint English accent and riding a motorcy
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
You can read this review and more on my blog:

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for and honest review.

I have had this book downloaded on my Kindle for over a year, and I am kicking myself for waiting so long to read it. This was YA paranormal romantic perfection.

Raine was my favorite type of heroine. She was cute, funny, snarky, girly, and strong. Her Life is pretty good when the story begins. Her relationship with her mother was the perfect ble
Darian Carter-Pace
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review and more at my blog
Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Series book: Yes
Will I read the next book: Yes

I read the last few paragraphs of Runes like fifty times and then I cussed enough to make my mamma cry. When I first started reading it, the Lux series came to mind. Then I got into the story and there was totally different mythology. But again at the end I was just as frustrated as I was at the end of Opal (Book three of the Lux series). I just wanted to scream. You can't do that! You cannot cr
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Ednah Walters has done it again! Lord I can't get enough of her books and the way she writes. I just love her to pieces and Runes was a FANTASTIC no PHENOMENAL READ! I could not put it down. Once I started reading it I could not put it down and I was so engrossed in Runes that I did not cook or clean or do homework no way it was just me and Raine and Torin!

Raine is having a rough go with things in her life. Her father has disappeared and her mother is acting weird and to make matters worse her b
Penny
The book in general is ok, although there is nothing in it that would make me recommend it.

Runes is a mix of Twilight , the Mortal Instruments and the Soul series. As a result, it seems like a weak copy of other YA series, cliché and unoriginal.

The female MC was very unlikable. I really hope no teenager that reads this, thinks Raine’s way of acting is worthy of being imitated. Raine was selfish, immature and quite inconsiderate.

Overall, all the characters lacked appeal.

The romance was terrib
Vivian
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this read, but first I want to thank Edna for sending me this book. Which I won in a giveaway contest on Instagram.

This books took me by surprise, it was captivating from the very biggining.
An easy, fun and catchy read. I couldn't stop reading it until the very end.
It had a good plot, with gray characters...
Torin is perfect...
That ending was omg...
I need to know what happens ASAP...

Thanks so much for introducing me to this cool series Edna...
Siobhan
Runes is one of those books that spent way too long sitting on my Kindle. At the time when I downloaded it, I was intrigued. However, when I finally had the chance to read it the feeling had lessened. Thus, I put the book aside until the feeling of interest returned. Although the interest did return, it was never quite to the original level.

For me, I feel as though Runes is a story made up of far too many young adult tropes. There is a good story to be found, but it is buried under layers of cli
Alexa
May 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
(Review also on the blog)

Let me start this review by honestly saying that I normally skip paranormal books. There was something about Runes that really drew me in though, a combination of the title and the (minor) mention of mythology. The book wasn’t a hit with me, nor was it especially memorable. But there is something special in Runes and the potential it has as a YA series. It was a lukewarm novel, at least up until it reached the last third where it became slightly more interesting to me. U
First thoughts after reading:

WOW. This is a first. I totally LOVE the cliff-hanger! Seriously, that ending is GENIUS! I started to get bored towards the end and thought it would go down the same way, but then. BAM. Walters hit me with THAT. Truly brilliant! It will make the second book SO. MUCH. MORE. INTERESTING! What an amazing twist. I still can't believe that happened! I never would have guessed that! I need Immortals ASAP!

Rating:

Okay, this was really hard. I loved the first 70 or so percen
Louisa
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, I enjoyed it, though not as much as I thought I would. Oh, well!

Full Review from Blog:
When I first started reading Runes, I thought that I'd really enjoy these books, because Raine was a lot like me, a bookish person! But as it went on, it got pretty dark, darker then I like, so while I enjoyed these books, and like them, I didn't love love love them. Which is too bad!

I enjoyed the whole mythology with the Norns, which sound vague familiar from other books with Norse mythology, and ha
Chie
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
***Received a free copy via netgalley.

I've been busy reading lots of new adult and adult genre books for the past few months, I forgot how refreshing and fun it is to read a Y.A book. I immensely enjoyed reading Runes, it brings out the girly girl in me lol. The moment Raine met Torin *swoon, I knew that I'm going to absolutely add Torin to my book boyfriends list, gawd I don't even care about Eirik lol, team Torin all the way..if and if there is even a competition.

Torin was the new guy next doo
booknerd_dork
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After begging; asking Author for a copy of Runes, as the synopsis intrigued me and I've to read it, I got it.
* This is my honest review *
I LOVED IT!!!! I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I'm excited!!!!

The story had suspense and the writing intrigued me and kept me going but towards the end I didn't want it to end at all!
The banter between Raine with silent E and Torin St James (I love his full name) was funny, made me laugh and love them. There is Cora, I just love her quirks
Oda Renate
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Another great book. :D
Thers memory loss, mystery,funnyness,friendship...
:D
pluss its a pretty short book so its right for a book you read while waiting for other books.

A few things that bugged me:

As a norwegian myself I just dident belive the norwegian exchange student named Andris, we have Andreas, Andre,Anders, but I have never ever met a Andris.It was never explained in the book, I geuss if it was explained it could have been easier to understand.

Ditto, with the girl named maliina. We have ma
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Favorite Line “Make my sacrifice mean something.”

Man I want myself a Torin PLEASE!! That being said I can honestly say I have never read a story like this!
Valkyrie (OMG my favorites), Runes, and of course immortals that are just amazing. Well some are jerks but you can't have a good story with out them!

Raine is your every day teenager, she's a swimmer, has her friends, her first boyfriend Eirick, and her best friend Cora. The only thing that is wrong with her life is her father has disappeared!
AK Mama Reads
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-review
Well wasn't this just a nice little surprise. I really wanted to dislike this book, given the over-saturated paranormal YA fantasy market, but I simply couldn't. The beginning was slightly clumsy, but very quickly the kinks were ironed out and I was drawn into the story. I highly recommend Ms. Walters for fans of Julie Kagawa, PC and Kristin Cast, and the tv series Lost Girl. You'll enjoy the plot driven fantasy and cliff hanger ending.
Aneta Bak
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, dnf
Did not finish.

After starting this book many times I could not get myself to keep on trying.

Unfortunately it did not interest me, and it couldn't keep me engaged long enough to keep trying to read it.
Tamara
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book may need some work, but I really enjoyed it! It was funny, unique (though some elements still remain unoriginal), and enjoyable.
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

If I could give Runes more than five stars, I would. Recommended for young readers (around the seventh grade level based on vocabulary and content), the characters are well developed and the main character, Raine, has to deal with many changes in her life, including magical events.

Raine shows a strength of character at seventeen that many adults don't.

It also delves into the Norse mythology, which might be a great introduction to a person’s heritage. It has action and
Anne
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book.

What's the cardinal rule for bibliophiles? Don't judge a book by it's cover.
I know that! I do. It's just...well, I do it all the time. An awesome cover draws me in, and a cheesy cover repels me.
I can't tell you how many times I passed Runes over in favor of another book, simply because the cover made me think I would be reading the equivalent of a B movie.
I mean, what is up with that dude's bangs?! Are they feathered or something?
*shudder*
Let me te
What was the best part in this book and why? 2 8 Feb 10, 2017 07:40AM
Ednah Walters Fan...: * Runes characters 9 58 Jan 11, 2017 11:30AM
Lovers of Paranor...: RUNES by Ednah Walters 9 80 Jun 16, 2016 08:19AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Runes (Runes #1) by Ednah Walters - Starting November 15th 2015 14 41 Dec 15, 2015 12:58AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #174 - Runes 1 1 Oct 08, 2015 11:57AM
Book Giveaways: Download Runes now for free 1 7 Aug 18, 2015 03:48PM
Ednah Walters Fan...: Ask the author about writing 14 49 Jul 22, 2015 09:19PM
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Wings of Shadow (Underground, #1)
  • Daughter of Isis  (Descendants of Isis #1)
  • Midnight Masquerade
  • The Waiting Booth (Whispering Woods, #1)
  • Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
  • Working it Out
  • Divided (Setenid Blight, #2)
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • Dreams of the Cursed (Dreamer, #2)
  • Shadow Embraced (Haven, #1)
  • Chosen (Daughters of the Sea #3)
  • Strength (Mark of Nexus, #1)
  • Gift
  • Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily, #1)
  • BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends)
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • Cursed (Voodoo Nights #1)
Her award-winning, International Bestselling YA Paranormal Romance—Runes Series—started with Runes and has a total of 6 books to date. The last one, Witches, released in March 2015, was a Readers Choice Awards winner. Her most recent addition is Demons, A Runes Companion Novel (Eirik Book 1). Demons is the story of Raines best friend and former crush Eirik Seville.
Her international bestselling YA
More about Ednah Walters...

Runes (7 books)

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“True love transcends logic, Freckles. It’s a blending of minds and souls.” 14 likes
“Blue eyes was studying the damaged mailbox like an insurance adjuster. Why couldn't he go bother someone else? Or at least put on a shirt?” 13 likes