Start by marking “Queen Victoria's Granddaughters 1860-1918” as Want to Read:
Queen Victoria's Granddaughters 1860-1918

Queen Victoria's Granddaughters 1860-1918

On 6th July 1868, when told of the birth of her seventh granddaughter, Queen Victoria remarked that the news was ‘a very uninteresting thing for it seems to me to go on like the rabbits in Windsor Park.’ Her apathy was understandable – this was her fourteenth grandchild, and, though she had given birth to nine children, she had never been fond of babies, viewing them as ‘f ...more
Published February 2013

To ask other readers questions about Queen Victoria's Granddaughters 1860-1918, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Victoria's Granddaughters 1860-1918

CB
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Very interesting information for those already interested in Victoria although at times there are so many characters it gets a little confusing and I found myself having to backtrack. First two thirds moved along v well but seemed to peter out towards the end- unfortunately the Kindle version of this I read had so many spelling and grammatical errors that it took the shine off the experience of reading this.
Deni
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. I learned so much about how through the marriages of her grandchildren, all of Europe, Russia and Norway were all bound together and how significant Queen Victoria's death affected the peace that was enjoyed throughout Europe and Asia. Historical but written in a captivating way.
Elaine
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Queen Victoria, for all her protest-ions about the horrors of childbirth, managed to have nine (9) children with her beloved husband Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In turn, her 9 children managed to create a "Royal Mob", that thru marriage managed to rule nearly every European dynasty and Russia for the better part of the 19th century and early 20th century when many of the ruling dynasties were destroyed either by World War 1 or the Russian Revolution.

Queen Victoria, though a mostly aloof
Judy
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh, Queen Victoria, you were quite the gal. Nine children, 42 grandchildren, and 85 great-grandchildren. Those family reunions must have really been occasions to remember--especially given all of the different personalities. This book is a good introduction to the daughters and granddaughters of Queen Victoria and the lives that they led. Many of the stories I already knew and I found myself interested in the lives of some of the more ignored granddaughters. More reading is definitely required i ...more
Quinby6696 Frank
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Queen Victoria had 22 granddaughters. Before he died, Prince Albert's vision was to create a great peaceful Europe by marrying his family into all the ruling families. Everyone would be related and love each other - right? Not so much. It's as well he didn't live to see the devastation of World War I and the complete ruination of his dream. This was a fascinating book, but even with the help of all the nicknames it was impossible to keep them all straight!
Susan
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I knew a lot of the information in the book, but it was good to be reminded of it again. Queen Victoria and her descendants were my entry point into studying royalty. Queen Victoria had 42 grandchildren and 22 of them were grandchildren. All of the granddaughters are dealt with in the book, some, of course, receive more space than others. Some photos would have been a nice addition.
Susie Fiorito
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Wonderful writing, just clipped right along.
Very thorough research by Ms. Croft on a very interesting topic.
Sarah Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who else is watching Victoria on PBS? I am loving it! I have always known that Victoria had a large family that married throughout all of the monarchies of Europe, but this book has been an easy-to-read explanation of each of her granddaughters and who they were. Each chapter is set-up with a quick list of who all is in the chapter and how they're related to the Queen and each other, which is necessary since many of the cousins shared names! I really enjoyed reading about the less well known gra ...more
Katie
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable and informative. Other reviewers have commented on the many typos, and indeed they are distracting and annoying to pedants like me. I appreciated the chapter headings detailing the characters and their relationships but would really have liked a big family tree. The cast of characters is enormous. Forty two grandchildren plus their spouses are a lot to keep track of. I read this on my Kindle, but kept the iPad at hand to look up pictures of these people. At first it seemed that there w ...more
Nikki
The author has a number of books out detailing the lives of Queen Victoria's children and grandchildren. Not surprisingly, there is doubtless some overlap as granddaughters have brothers who are grandsons, etc. This book appeared to be well-researched using at least some primary sources. Each chapter begins with a list of the family members described therein, but a real family tree chart would have been useful, even though it would have been hard to use in the Kindle format. The lack of photogra ...more
Joan
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader of historical biographies I thought this book provided a worthwhile overview on the family branches of Queen Victoria. It's a great starting point to further reading on any of the subjects presented. My only complaint is that the Kindle version did not provide any photos. This was very disappointing. The author wisely prefaced each chapter with the royalties names and family branches that were the subject of the particular chapter making it easier to follow as there were many A ...more
Becky
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Having 9 children, with 8 of them having their own children, Queen Victoria had a lot of ancestors. I had known that her ancestors were spread across Europe and Russia, but this book gives you glimpse at the individuals who married into those other noble/royal families. It's good that Ms. Croft starts each chapter with identifying each person...though with this many granddaughters and great-granddaughters, names overlap. I was kind of surprised that Queen Victoria wasn't as eager for her grandda ...more
Nate
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very well researched. The novel focuses very well with little unnecessary detail. Alice was a key focus in earlier chapters. I felt that some daughters however were barely mrntioned : Sandra Edinburgh, Mossy Hohenzollern, Patsy Connaught, Irene Hesse, and Alice Albany. I cannot figure out why. Additionally, I wish the book continued until the end of the granddaughters as later on certain lives got more interesting. It was nice to read about Ella rather than Alix as she was more interesting than ...more
Susan Liston
Pretty good basic overview. This seems to be self-published and there are a lot of errors--typos, Louise-instead-of-Louis type errors and the illustrations are poor, but it is easy reading and I certainly learned a lot. One wonderful thing the author did was start each chapter with a list of who will appear and a reminder of who these people are, which keeps the brain-dead like myself from constantly having to look back and figure it out. (these dad burn royals repeating names so incessantly, co ...more
Yvette
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This book did a great job at keeping the family members "straight", as in, who belonged to which parents, etc. No easy task when discussing the family of Queen Victoria! I thought each family member was given more or less equal billing, also, even though some obviously had more "story" than others. Easy to read and easy to remember.

I base my rating entirely upon the content of the book, but I cannot ignore the abundant presence of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors in my copy.
Robin
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot - and probably would have liked it even more if I had read the print version (so I could have easily flipped back often to the family trees to remind myself just who everyone was and how they were related) - or had had a printed version of the tree to refer to while I was reading the Kindle version. Maybe it would have helped if I had read it all in a couple of sittings - or if I had a better memory! In any event, it was a good read.
Victoria
I've read books about Queen Victoria's descendants before. There are so many of them, it doesn't hurt to read about them many times. I still can only remember the details of the lives of some of them. Their privilege did not protect them from any of life's tragedies. Of her nineteen granddaughters, virtually all of them suffered from the hereditary ill-health in their family and the ravages of WWI.
Jenny Housley
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
A good introduction to the Victorian Royal Family and it's involvement in European history. Some interesting insights into Queen Victoria and her vast collection of family members. Not always easy to keep up with the Mossy and Fritz's and Baby Bee's and endless marriages but I am still looking forward to further reading on some of the cast. Thanks has to go to Wikipedia and Pinterest flipping up numerous photos and slowing the reading to a snails pace
Claire
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A very interesting book but it was hard to follow sometimes with so many grandchildren's stories interwoven. Not the author's fault! A family tree would have helped a lot! It is incredible how many of the grand daughters were queens in Europe at the time of the First World War. I plan to read more books by this author.
Katie
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction-read
A good introductory guide, but to be honest, I knew all of this information already. There were a few interesting tidbits - I had always wondered why the Romanovs were posed for a photograph moments before their execution and Croft did answer this - but fairly dull and a bother to get through, for the most part.
Kimberly Krauch
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Granddaughters of Queen Victoria.

I liked this book, if gave me more insight to each of these princesses. Life lessons were learn by some and total disregard for others. Many married young, life is never easy regardless of your station in life and war is full of horrors. I recommend for anyone who likes Royalty and history.
Mary
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
A reasonable book, I knew alot of these stories already although it was good to have them presented together. As usual the more colourful characters get more page space; it's the others that I wanted to know more about. However if you're read nothing else about Victoria's descendants this is a good introduction.
Susanna
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good snapshot of many lives! A family tree would have been helpful, as would have reading this in book format - sometimes I find nonfiction on the Kindle a bit weird. I also have a feeling I may have missed out on some photographs. The Kindle edition also had some typos/spelling errors that were a bit irritating.
Anita
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fast reading with full of superficial information. If you are new to Queen Victoria's family you'll find this book interesting. After reading this I would like to read specific books about Queen Marie of Romania and Princess Victoria Mountbatten.
Beth
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Between the unbearably glaring grammatical errors and blatant historical inaccuracies that any fact-checker should have been able to check, this book was a huge disappointment. I'd give it zero stars if I could. Would not recommend.
Viki Heagy
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone interested in the English monarchy will love this book. It covers the history of Queen Victoria's family, but especially that of her granddaughters - the royal families they married into, where the lived and their legacy.
Kathleen
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A good historical read with a great deal of work and effort to share this information. Christina Croft loves this family and her works are evidence of that. Very well researched and one I was anxious to read.
Gwen Janitch
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good read

Enjoyed it very informative yet not too dull or uninteresting- a little hard to follow since many of the names are the same.
MissyLynne
Fascinating read. As someone with a strong interest in Queen Victoria's family this book covered a lot.

Especially loved reading about the Hesse family and Marie of Roumania.
Diane Slaton
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Granddaughters

There's much history in this book. Always interesting and never dry or boring I would recommend it to anyone interested in the great monarchies of Europe.

• Imperial Requiem: Four Royal Women and the Fall of the Age of Empires
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
  • The Romanov Family Album
  • Victoria's Daughters
  • Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
  • Grandes Horizontales: The Lives and Legends of Four Nineteenth-Century Courtesans
  • Ladies in Waiting: From the Tudors to the Present Day
Christina Croft was born in Warwickshire, England, and grew up in Yorkshire. Educated at Notre Dame Grammar School, Leeds, she graduated in English and Divinity in Liverpool and obtained teaching and nursing qualifications. She began her writing career as a poet but moved on to biography and novels as well as giving talks about the Romanovs, Habsburgs, Queen Victoria and other late 19th and early ...more