Start by marking “Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2)

Mortal Gods

(Goddess War #2)

Ares, god of war, is leading the other dying gods into battle. Which is just fine with Athena. She's ready to wage a war of her own, and she's never liked him anyway. If Athena is lucky, the winning gods will have their immortality restored. If not, at least she'll have killed the bloody lot of them, and she and Hermes can die in peace.

Cassandra Weaver is a weapon of fate.
Published October 14th 2014 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Gods, please sign up.
Helin Arslan no I read a first book Antigodns and I love ıt I am turkish and aother books by kendare blake not yet trasnlating to turkish and ı cant read :(

Kath S
Sep 22, 2013 marked it as wishlist
description

description
Natalie Monroe
"No matter how twisted they were, and what pain they caused each other, the gods had forever. Forever to fight and hate and make up, to switch loyalties and regain trust. They'd been at it so long they didn't really understand what it would mean for it to be finished. They wouldn't, until it was far too late."

I am a Greek mythology purist.

I don't mind if authors tweak with the original myths, flesh out personalities, reveal motives, justify certain acts, etc. In fact, I welcome it. Retelling
Kristen
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This and other reviews are on my blog, My Friends Are Fiction

There are spoilers from book 1, Antigoddess

The Story:
I’ve got to be honest, I was the slightest bit (just the tiniest amount) concerned after Antigoddess because I hadn’t connected to the characters or story as deeply as I had with the Anna series. But, as you can see from my rating, there was no need to worry because I loved this book. In fact, I loved it more than Antigoddess and found myself completely immersed in the story and ch
Jesselle
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With more action, jaw-dropping twists, and a tidal wave of intense emotions, Mortal Gods is one gripping book that I totally enjoyed reading this year. It’s the kind of sequel that you’d want to read at a relaxed speed because every moment in the story is precious. Although there are parts where the pace is a bit slow, it doesn’t matter because those give readers time to prepare themselves for big scenes that will blow their minds in every way. Big Bang-like explosions of feels and surprises are ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2014/11/15/y...

I’m a mythology buff, so naturally I became drawn to Kendare Blake’s Goddess War series. The first book introduced us to the concept that the Old Gods of Greek Mythology have always existed, and that well-known deities such as Athena and Hermes have lived among us since time immemorial. But all of a sudden, the gods are losing their immortality, dying slowly in the most bizarre and most horrific ways. All eyes turn to Kinc
Angela Hanson
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucky enough to get an ARC, this heart pounding story of Gods reincarnated and living in our time, ramps up the action in the sequeal to Antigoddess, Mortal Gods. Athena and Cassandra continue their crusade with their group of Gods and Heros, hell bent on revenge and redemption. Some new Hero's join the ranks and make for some interesting twists and turns, making you very uncertain who is trustworthy. The ending confims your suspicions regarding loyalties, leaving you royally ticked, screaming a ...more
Suzanne
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome sequel! That cliffhanger was intense and now I cannot wait to read the final book tomorrow. I did not intend to stay up this late but I couldn’t put the book down so ended up staying up until nearly three am to finish it. Cannot wait to see what happens after that run in on Olympus (Cassandra a bit of an idiot though). Now much sleep so I can read the finale tomorrow evening!

My quick and simple overall: I seriously enjoyed this one even more than the first book. The first book w
Nasty Lady MJ
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Really 2.5 stars. To see full review with Hades gifs click here

Last year I sort of ended up being a black sheep in liking this book’s predecessor. So, I was sort of excited about the second one because I was going to see if that like was going to be a fluke, or if it was really as exciting as I thought.

The result.

Meh.

I sort of see where everyone else was coming now. But I still liked parts of this series.

I think I’ll talk about what my favorite thing about Blake’s writing is: her use of language
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A few years ago, when Kendare Blake first published Anna Dressed in Blood and completely won us over, I never dreamed that her books could become even better. Anna was such a spectacular debut that it left very little room for improvement. And yet here we are, in the middle of a new series that is even more beautiful, more mature, written with a surer hand and far greater control over the narrative.

Mortal Gods is exactly what the title suggests – it brings the story of Greek gods divided into t
haley
Assorted thoughts:
1. I probably shouldn't have waited so long after reading Antigoddess to read this. I forgot half the story. But eventually I remembered the gist of Antigoddess

2. Can't stand the love triangle between Athena, Odysseus and Calypso. I don't like the idea of Athena falling in love

3. I keep expecting Medusa to show up, for some reason. I think it's because of Athena and Hermes

4. Characters I really like: Hermes, Athena, Andie, Ares (is it weird I like him so much? He's an antagonis
A Albeirakdar
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
All the stars in the world for Athena <3
And none for meanie Cassandra -_-

Mortal Gods was such a huge leap from Book #1! The writing style and the character development were on point. And Athena! I enjoyed every single word from her POV <3 but sadly, not all chapters were written from Athena's point of view, some were written from Cassandra's, who such a selfish jerk, and it was a pain to read her :\

Cassandra is mourning, which is understandable after AntiGoddess. And her grief makes her an
Shandra
Oct 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
DNF at 29%

Well...I think it's time I admit defeat. It's been two months since I set this aside due to boredom. I figured I'd come back to it. But I've yet to get the pull or desire to do so since then. This really makes me sad. DNFs are rare for me. And I really enjoyed the first book in this series. But this one didn't hook me at all. The characters annoyed me from page one. I will attempt this again at some point because I'm having a hard time admitting to myself that what I thought would be
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Wow, what an impressive sequel! So action-packed and explosive. The only thing it was missing was (view spoiler). :P I was afraid this sequel couldn't live up to its predecessor, especially after all that carnage in the first book. But I think Mortal Gods surpassed Antigoddess, if only by a margin. I can't wait to see where Kendare takes this story next!

The narrator for this audiobook was superb and brought these characters to life for me. Her accents for British Ody
Victoria Scott
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
New characters, clear goals, and romantic angst made me fall in love with Mortal Gods. Although that ending was cruel and unusual punishment. Give me book three and no one gets hurt! ;)
Federica
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the Goddess War' world.

I longed for this moment, and I am very pleased with the book, to which I give 4.5 stars.

At the beginning it was a bit slow-paced, because they were just going to the cemetery, training and planning their attack against Aphrodite. There was not really much action, even though I liked it as well. Then, things began to change: the attacks against the "mortal side", the quest for Artemis and Achilles, and the final confrontation made everything far more interesting. I
Ruman
First off, for anyone who didn't know, the gods are dying...

Mortal Gods was much better than its predecessor Antigoddess. It was mostly about Athena and her warriors trying to (trying is the key word) not die have more powerful people join their side, and find the other god killer Achilles. Whereas, the opposite side, got Ares to join them, along with a foe that could tip the scales against the goddess of war and her warriors (view spoiler).

Cassandra
She was literally li
Gabriela
Sep 15, 2013 marked it as to-read
Changing the PERFECT TITLE: Aristeia, for something so... Common, as Mortal Gods was bad enough.

AND NOW, now you change a good cover FOR THIS PIECE OF CR*P. OH MY GOD. My brain itches.

Thanks to my OCD I will probably be buying the matching "Antigoddess" cover. Sucks for my wallet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love the title, It's brilliant!

Carina Olsen
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to deal with my feelings for Mortal Gods. I'm so glad that I got to read it early. Waiting until October would have been painful, lol. But oh. The wait for book three will now be longer and full of pain. Because there is a cliffhanger ending in this book. Yet not too awful. Pfff. Who am I kidding. Awful ending. And I loved every moment of it. It was awesome.

I feel like I should give you a warning that my review will contain spoilers for book one. Which should kind of be obvious,
Tabitha
Dying and warring Gods of Olympus done young adult style

Here we are back again in Mortal Gods with Athena, Cass, Hermes, Odysseus and the rest of the gang, with a few new additions. It’s been a scant few months since the climactic ending of Antigoddess (view spoiler)

Athena what you do, you do so well

Whether it’s do something right or do something w
Alexa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was surprisingly good! Not much really happened, but as I'm beginning to learn if I really love the character I don't mind a lack of plot as much (as was the case with this book, lol).

Every character feels fleshed out and real; Athena, Cassandra, Henry, Hermes, Hera, Odysseus... I could go on and on :p and the battle scene!!!! A little bit of 'oh jeez, where did that come from???' BUT STILL SO GOOD AND INTENSE.

I'm diving straight into book 3 😉
Asia
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Both Athena and Cassandra were getting on my nerves...

Miranda
Nov 24, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I dunno. The first one was okay but honestly, I don't like Blake's portrayal of the gods. They come across as too much like humans.
Mizuki
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I struggled between giving this book 3 stars or 4 stars, in the end I think it should be a 3.7 or 3.8 stars.

There is good things about this series and also bad things. For starter, the Greek gods in the novels do not always look like larger-than-life powerful, ageless beings they should be, but on the other hand, some of these gods do grow in on me and they do have interesting stories; for example, Ares and Hermes.

As to the two main characters, Cassandra and Athena; I will be more forgiving towa
Giovanna
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it

Eh. I liked Antigoddess more. And there's a reason why Mortal Gods can't compare: Cassandra. Yep, I can name it this time around and I can tell you it makes me feel so much better that I can put my finger on what pissed me off.

Seriously, this series would be much more awesome without Cassandra. Everybody but her is awesome. The idea is good, creepy enough and well developed, the plot and the pace are great. But, ugh, Cassandra is one of the worst main characters ever. And to top all that, if yo
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Περνάμε, λοιπόν, στο δεύτερο βιβλίο της σειράς, όπου ο ρυθμός των εξελίξεων αρχίζει να κυλάει σε καλύτερες ταχύτητες, με τη δράση να αυξάνεται και μαζί μ' αυτήν, καταφέρνει ν' αυξηθεί και το αναγνωστικό μας ενδιαφέρον. Η μάχη ανάμεσα στο στρατόπεδο της Αθηνάς και του Ερμή κι εκείνο του Άρη είναι έτοιμη να ξεσπάσει, και κανείς δεν μπορεί να ορίσει ποιος θα είναι νικητής. Την ίδια στιγμή, η συμμαχία ανάμεσα στην Αθηνά και την Κασσάνδρα, το όπλο που μπορεί να σκοτώσει τους θεούς, ακροβατεί πάνω σε ...more
Giselle
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

Mortal Gods suffered mostly from second book syndrome. I was constantly wondering if anything was going to move the plot along. From what I could gather it was about Achilles. Trying to find him and getting him to be on Athena's side. It wasn't even the main plot.. The main plot from what I can gather is the war between the Gods. But unlike the first book, th
Nicolette (FallingOverBooks)
Damn this was good. I did wish there was bit a more action.
But still amazing.
Bailee
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek-mythology
ok ok ok ok ok... I AM NOT OKAY
☆Stephanie☆
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Two down. One to go. I almost don’t want it to end. They go too fast! I think bc I’m sucked in I’ll just do a review of the series. You can’t review just one without the rest. RTC.
Shnkh
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was ok

Let’s talk about what bothered me the most about this book: Cassandra.

She is the most annoying female lead I've ever read about and I read twilight -_-

As a result I did not enjoy this book as much as I would have had Cassandra not been in it.

I understand she's grieving because of Aidan but Antigoddess did not get a chance to make me fall in love with Aidan(He was just selfish to me) much less to fall in love with the Aidan and Cassandra relationship.

That being said it's kind of hard to sympathi
Teens' Top Ten Di...: Mortal Gods by Kendare Blake 1 3 Aug 05, 2015 07:01AM
Novelty Podcast: Hardcover copy of Mortal Gods by Kendare Blake 2 17 Dec 03, 2014 07:19PM
  • The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Whisper the Dead (The Lovegrove Legacy, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Meridian (Arclight, #2)
  • Stolen (Heart of Dread, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Sweet Legacy (Medusa Girls, #3)
  • Inheritance (Inheritance #1)
  • Chaos (Kardia Chronicles, #1)
  • Lark Ascending (Skylark, #3)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Rain (Paper Gods, #2)
  • Code Name 711 (Double Vision #2)
  • Fragile Spirits (Souls, #2)
  • Burn (Scan, #2)
  • Bad Luck Girl (The American Fairy, #3)
So, I write books. The Anna Dressed in Blood duo is horror, The Goddess War trilogy is mythology, and Sleepwalk Society is contemporary, because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some. Love to read, too. Fiction, philosophy, good books, bad books, because you take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have a st ...more

Goddess War (3 books)
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • Ungodly (Goddess War, #3)
“Is this the river of hate, or the river of smartass?” 9 likes
“I like ordinary. People only wish for adventure until they're stuck in the middle of one. Haven't you ever seen The Fellowship of the Ring?” 6 likes