Start by marking “Touching Melody (Forever First, #1)” as Want to Read:
Touching Melody (Forever First, #1)

Touching Melody

(Forever First #1)

Sometimes life isn't pretty, but you have to close your eyes and let go...
Published May 14th 2013 by Polished Pen Press

Rose
Pre-read: Holy crud, that blurb! I have no qualms saying that I'm intrigued to see where this goes. It has the potential to turn out towards something interesting if handled well.

*moves up on reading list*

Post-read: I'm only giving this book a single star as a formality. Zero stars would be too high of a rating for this utterly offensive, inaccurate, violence glorified, implausible horrible novel. I would rage quit New Adult after this if my patience wasn't so firm, and if I didn't have hope tha
RaShelle Workman
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
**This story is inspired by real events**

I have a thing for firsts. First day of school. First crush. First tattoo. Once, a long time ago, I made a promise to a boy that all of my firsts would be with him. But that was before . . .
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to All Night Reads and Netgalley.)
18-year-old Maddie is still coming to terms with the death of her parents around 7 years ago. She knows that they were killed by her best friend Kyle’s father, but was unable to point the finger at him because he was a high ranking police officer.

Now Maddie is at college, the same college as Kyle, who she hasn’t seen or spoken to in 7 years. She knows that she’s in love wi
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Touching Melody had a great premise. I really had seen a lot of potential in it, but sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations.

When first picking up the book, I thought I would be facing a psychological thriller, instead of an insta-love, hormone filled book.

I got mislead by the summary, and I couldn't enjoy the book as much as I wanted to, because my expectations were incredibly high.

This book had a lot of faults. From the shallow characters, to the unrealistic setting, I actually had to
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
2.5 to 3 Stars

Source: eARC for Honest Review from Author

Here is a story about first loves, first everything, loss, denial and forgiveness

Maddie and Kyle sitting in a tree... (You get the drift. Childhood friends and first loves)

Then Holy shit tragedy happens and Maddie moves away with her controlling yet still loving aunt and uncle.

The whole time Maddie can't stop thinking about Kyle but because of the tragedy has vowed to not have him in her life. Of course without telling him why and Girrrrrl
Claire Robinson
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW, just WOW.

This book grabbed me from the first paragraph of the prologue, and it didn't let me go until the last sentence of the Epilogue. I could write a long and wordy review about how great the story is (and it is),but quite frankly the time you would spend reading it, would be much better spent actually reading Touching Melody.

RaShelle Workman knows how to write a story thats for sure. Touching Melody, is original, engaging and thoroughly pulled me in. Not once did I have that moment whe
Maria
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by RaShelle Workman.
After her parents are murdered, Maddie at only 11 years old goes to live with her aunt and uncle where she leads a very sheltered life. Once she's 18 and in college her world comes crashing down.
Kyle, her childhood best friend is there at school wondering why she never contacted him after she moved.
Together they discover each other and find out the truth about the past. But can they overcome the truth and still be together?

I am a lover of all things RaS
Nicole Naranjo
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! Totally not what I expected, but I loved it! Such sadness and sorrow for them both and I'm so glad that fate stepped in and brought them back together. They both clearly have loved each other for a very long time! I love the pact they made and that she kept up her end and I love that Kyle wrote her letters for 7 years and even when they were returned unopened that he kept them; definitely swooning! "I'm so glad your here. Please let me be part of your life." That has to be my favor
caren
May 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
There's so much I want to say, and I don't have a lot of time. I wanted to like this, but I didn't. Between the references to that book, the female lead with absolutely zero common sense and the whole possible BDSM angle, I wasn't pleased. Also, what was with the cokehead roommate? I don't understand why that was even part of this story.

This was a good plot idea, and I wanted it to work, but sadly it didn't. The sentence structure was poor and editing wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been,
Laura P
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
When Maddie Martin sees two men leaving her house, one her best friend Kyle Hadley’s police officer father, the other man with a gun, she would never have believed that she would find her parents shot to death inside. Forced by her strict Aunt and Uncle to keep quiet about Hadley’s involvement, Maddie becomes reclusive. She throws herself into music, becoming an accomplished pianist, earning a full scholarship to the University of Bellam Springs. As devastating as it was to lose her parents, nev ...more
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
*I received this e-book in exchange for an honest review through Netgalley.*

Can I just start this off by saying I feel a bit hoodwinked. This book was not what I expected from the synopsis I read.

This review is going to basically be a list of things I didn't like about the book, because honestly these things overpowered the story, plot, tone, and writing. I couldn't get past these things and enjoy the book.

1. Tattoos - Yes, I love tattoos. The fact that we start the book out with her getting one
Leah
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
I love the New Adult genre, it’s been an interesting and very enjoyable genre to get into and I’ve enjoyed most of the books I’ve read. There’s been one so far that hasn’t floated my boat, and I can now add a second to it in Touching Melody. I wanted to like the novel, I thought the premise sounded utterly amazing – and it’s so long, you’re basically desperate to read the novel once you’ve finished it because it’s described SO well. But, the synopsis is wildly misleading. Wildly misleading. I th ...more
Ashley
Jun 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: new-adult, arc
I finished this book fairly quickly, but unfortunately not because it was so amazing that I couldn't put it down. I just wanted to finish it and move on. The plot, characters, nothing worked for me. I found the writing to be clunky at times. It didn't read smoothly. It would just jump from one thought to the next, which jumbled everything together.

Melody Martin is still coming to terms with her parents murder. She witnessed her best friend's father leave the scene of the crime when she was eleve
Bee
Well, I finished, but only because I got this book for review from Netgalley. That's the only reason. This will be one of those review I hate to write, but sometimes you just have to.

So... yeah... This book was not that good. Not what I expected at all. Basically this book is about Maddie. She is new at college and in the beginning of the book we meet her when she is getting her annual tattoo. She does that too numb the pain of her parents murder seven years ago. Sounds like a cool character, do
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Touching Melody is such a heart wrenching story about first love and loss. I was excited to read this book when I saw the cover reveal because it just calls to you. I mean the girl on the cover looks so sad and haunted in the picture that it made me wonder what was going on with her to make her look like that. After reading the blurb and then the book I was totally blown away with how much the cover matched the book. This is a story with so many secrets and lies that it had me at the edge of my ...more
Jess
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Ugh. Ack. Ew. Gross.

To say I disliked this book would be an understatement.

Think about being in maths class for twelve hours straight on your birthday... This is worse. It was just so BORING!!!

Lame plot, lame characters, lame suspense, lame romance... everything was so crippled! Nothing worked together well, things didn't make sense or resolutions never made.

I'm surprised I actually finished it, to be honest. If it were any longer, I probably would have given up. It was so strange; the ending
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
You guys, just look at that synopsis. Admittedly it’s super dramatic, but think about how intriguing that story could be! I was totally drawn in by the plot description, and despite the inevitable chemistry angle of the story, I felt like it could be so different from a lot of New Adult titles out there. Unfortunately it fell into so many of the tropes of the genre, and not in any good way. Kyle is the guy who has a crazy reputation with women. Maddie is the shy virgin who’s been saving herself ...more
Melissa
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
At age 10 Maddie came back home in time to see her parents' killers leaving her house. The killer she recognizes is the chief of police, the father of her best friend Kyle. Encouraged by her aunt to keep any accusations quiet, she hasn't had any contact with Kyle until now, her freshman year in college. Even though she hates his dad, she hasn't stopped loving Kyle. Now Maddie is trying to reconcile her feelings and deciding if she should risk it.
I liked this book and found it believable until th
Jamie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(Copied from my Amazon review)

First of all, I have NEVER read a better opening chapter. As a fellow tattoo fan, reading Maddie's experience with the tattoo parlor pulled me in and didn't let go until the end!

Maddie is a mystery. Until we find out why she acts like she does, she saw her parents murdered by someone she knew. (No spoilers beyond that!!) Kyle is also a mystery. I kept asking myself why he was so weird when he first saw her. Why, if he felt the way that he let us know he felt, didn't
April Brookshire
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
An underwhelming New Adult novel

The blurb sounds good, but its promises are better than the reality

They haven't seen each other in 7 years and in that time they both begin playing the piano and become amazing players? What a coincidence?

This is supposed to be in Wyoming, right? With a mafia drug ring involving millions of pounds in drugs? Really?

And the characters' reactions in certain situations just weren't realistic.

For Kyle still being in love and wanting to be a part of Maddie's life, he's
Kate Ashton
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Touching Melody by Rashelle Workman tells a beautiful love story between Kyle and Maddie. Best friends from the start and then torn apart by lies. After they reconnect in college, the web of lies unravels one at a time. Except, the same danger that stole Maddie’s parents from this life are now threatening her. Will the truth set her free? Or will it destroy her life and take her love for Kyle with it?

I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of this story combined with the love story. The author did a
Ashley
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didnt. Even. Finish. There was literally nothing to like about this book. The characters were stupid, the situations were wildly unbelievable, and the sex/violence was out of this world. And theyre saying its based off real events. whoever this happened to, i hope theyve gotten counseling cause there is no way all this crap can happen to someone. i'm not a prude, I've read erotica and dirty romances, but this book was beyond. Just beyond. I'm still not sure how to even write about it. If you're ...more
Scarlet
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this book. Childhood friends Maddie and Kyle meet in college after being separated from each other due to tragic circumstances. The romance was compelling, and there definitely was a lot of angst and drama, but I'm glad it wasn't overbearing. I also liked the sinister aspect that have unknowingly followed them; it added a different level of excitement to the plot. Overall, I really enjoyed this book.
Keris Shay
I enjoyed this but I felt like I needed more. The story was good but needed more detail. I loved being in both heads of the characters but something was missing . I loved how he loved her even when he was younger but I wanted more detail. I'm completely interested in her roomie, could be a good story. I just wanted more Kyle and Maddy, more of the relationship, feelings, etc..

Still a good story!

ARC provided by NetGalley
Laura (Blame it on the Rain Reviews)
I never read reviews before reading a book and instead chose to go by the blurb and how I feel about the story myself and in this case I am so glad that I did!

I found this story completely engaging and heartwarming as I ‘felt’ every emotion that the main character was going through as she tried to deal with not only the death of her parents, but also knowing who had killed them and not being able to get closure as that person was never punished!

As a character Maddie was quite a contradiction, on
Stefanie Nicholas
Bobo :)
-- 2 stars = an okay book but not for me --

I feel like I should point out that I've recently just read a similar storyline in 'Ten Tiny Breaths'. I understand that they're two different books with different events but there are enough similarities that find myself comparing the two, even though I know I shouldn't.

WARNING: this review contains spoilers

When Maddie was younger she witnessed the murder of her parents by her best friend's dad and has been emotionally scarred ever since. After movin
RO Mejia
Ro's Take on this Journey:

Touching Melody is told in dual narration. It is told by both Melody Martin, the main character, and Kyle Hadley, her long lost best friend who she felt she had to leave behind. There was always the feeling that Melody thought that she was waiting for someday to be reunited somehow with Kyle, though the gruesomeness of the murders left him at arms length for her.

After 7 long years of estrangement, (since the death's of her parents, and her homeschooling by her relatives
Michelle
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I saw Touching Melody on netgalley and instantly decided that I needed to read this book, I put in a request not expecting to be accepted and very quickly found the acceptance email waiting for me. From the minute I began reading I was hooked, once I began I literally could not stop. I started with the intention of reading a few pages before going to bed and stayed up till 2am reading it.

Maddie found her parents dead bodies and for seven years she has been trying to cope with the discovery, keep
Nina
To write this review, I wrote a list of things I liked and things I disliked. Let me tell you that there is absolutely nothing on the like list. I tried to find something, I did, but I couldn't. In the least horrible way possible, I think this is the worst New Adult novel I have ever read - and I finished The Edge of Never the other week, so that is certainly saying something.

Maddie and Kyle have been best friends for as long as they can remember - that is, until Kyle's father murders Maddie's p
  • Pieces of Truth (Pieces of Lies, #2)
  • In Too Deep (In Too Deep, #1)
  • Love Like Fireworks (Love Like Fireworks, #1)
  • Embrace You (Loneliness, #2)
  • Lennon's Rain (Lennon's Girls #2)
  • Addicted to You
  • Again
  • Love Exactly
  • When Fangirls Lie (How Not to be Seduced by Rockstars, #1)
  • Giving You Forever (Forever #4)
  • Jaded (Rock Star trilogy, #1)
  • The Ruby Airship (The Diamond Thief #2)
  • Destiny Ever-Changing
  • Romancing the Bookworm
  • Twisted Arrangement (Twisted, #1)
  • In Control (The City, #2)
  • Fall from Love
  • Romancing the R.A. (Campus Crush, #1)
RaShelle Workman is an international bestselling author. Under this name she writes reimagined fairy tales, science fiction, and fantasy. All of her novels have been listed on multiple bestseller lists, including her BLOOD AND SNOW series, which has sold more than a million copies. Her IMMORTALS series has been read more than two million times. Three of her books have been translated into Turkish ...more