Start by marking “El Salvador Could Be Like That” as Want to Read:
El Salvador Could Be Like That

El Salvador Could Be Like That

Joe Frazier, a longtime veteran of The Associated Press, covered the bloody civil war in El Salvador from 1979-1986. He draws from his vast trove of articles written from the frontlines, interspersing the reporting of facts with personal stories—some funny, some tragic. Broad in its sweep, focused on the daily lives of the war's victims, Frazier's book is an important cont ...more
Paperback, 1st, 230 pages
Published March 1st 2013 by Karina Library Press

To ask other readers questions about El Salvador Could Be Like That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Salvador Could Be Like That

4.0 out of 5 stars
Story of a generous & thoughtful people even in times of war
Reviewed By Sherrie Miranda on October 4, 2017
Format: Paperback|Verified Purchase
I was disappointed that there wasn't more about Frazier's wife who was killed in El Salvador. I found her story to be very compelling.
That said, any story about Salvadorans is always great. The Salvadoran people are generous, thoughtful & unique people; at least the poor and middle class are.
If you plan to go to El S
Format: Paperback|Verified Purchase
If you plan to go to El S
Maggie Reed
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astounding and, without a doubt, true. This was current events for me. Now it's history. Things they deny down there categorically, I remember reading about over and over in the less conservative rags in the US. And then there was the AP outlook. I followed it regularly. Nobody messed with those guys and their reporting. Joe was one of my favourites then, and this book proves he is still one of my favourites.
Gregory
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
from http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2013/...

Joseph B. Frazier's El Salvador Could Be Like That is a memoir by a former Associated Press reporter who covered the country during the civil war. Its value lay in Frazier's descriptions of the people and how both everyday life and politics functioned "on the ground," with what I think is a balanced voice, pointing out inconsistencies or outright lies on both sides (though of course the lion's share of the violence was perpetrated by the right). Some
Kate
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Not knowing much about the Salvadoran Civil War, I picked this up to get a bit of background. I think it might be more interesting to people who either are familiar with the author's work as a journalist or who know more about the war to begin with. It was an interesting book, but many of the incidents described are difficult for me to place in proper context. The author does provide some history to anchor them, but his purpose isn't to teach you about the war. As a memoir, it works pretty well, ...more
Juanna Oliva-holloway
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having lived a traumatic childhood in El Salvador, this book brought back a lot of memories. It is written in a biographical point of view and it envelopes the readers with facts and graphic descriptions of violent events.
Jessica
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very poorly written and barely edited. It was difficult to get through all the typos, and the smug/flippant commentary of the author about such sad topics was almost unbearable.
Jemera Rone
Apr 22, 2016
Michael
Feb 12, 2017
Farcounty Press
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2015