Start by marking “Don't Even Think About It (Don't Even Think About It, #1)” as Want to Read:
Don't Even Think About It (Don't Even Think About It, #1)

Don't Even Think About It (Don't Even Think About It #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  4,635 Ratings  ·  1,006 Reviews
SECRETS.
SCANDALS.
ESP.

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. No
Published March 11th 2014 by Delacorte Press (first published March 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Even Think About It, please sign up.

Crumb There hopefully will be. I assume Vandonovhotmail.ca said yes because of the the end of this book. In my copy (eBook version) after the last sentence,…moreThere hopefully will be. I assume Vandonovhotmail.ca said yes because of the the end of this book. In my copy (eBook version) after the last sentence, it says something like "More secrets. More scandals. More ESP. Don't miss the sequel, Think Twice, in 2015" ...I am not sure if this is in the print version as well. Hopefully it happens!(less)
Erin Yes there will be another book named "think twice". Hopefully it will be good, have not got hold of it yet

Khanh (the meanie)
They stepped into the cafeteria. A cacophony of voices rushed at Mackenzie.
—five french fries today. Five. No more. My thighs are too—
—There’s an empty seat at Jake’s table! Should I take it? But Amanda said—
—Did I just get my period?—
As each thought hit Mackenzie’s mind, so did a stabbing pain in her forehead.
I know just how she feels. This is a "no-thinking-required" type of book. I suggest you read it with several aspirins or (not and!) a few shots of tequila.

This book is about a flu shot t
Ash Wednesday
Feb 07, 2014 Ash Wednesday rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: That person who "accidentally" scratched my car in the parking lot.
1.5 STARS
This whole thing makes no sense. I miss SARS.

It was good while it lasted. All two chapters of this.

In some ways, this reminded me of reading Francine Pascal’s Sweet Valley books. In that series, each book focuses on Jessica, Elizabeth and the Sweet Valley crew getting into the shenanigan of the week: community play, the Unicorn Club going to Hawaii, Lizzie’s first kiss etc. In Don’t Even Think About It Bloomberg High School’s homeroom class of 10B collectively develop telepathic abili
Stacey (prettybooks)
If Don't Even Think About It was a movie, it would be the sort of teen movie that you would watch curled up on a Sunday afternoon (preferably with snacks and friends), a bit of contemporary + science fiction lite mixed with The Breakfast Club + Gossip Girl. I wasn't having a brilliant week when I began reading and it turned out to be the perfect antidote. I started it on the way to work and finished it that evening, so if you want to just forget everything and delve into a fun, light-hearted and ...more
Robert
Jun 24, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If God wants to punish some poor bastard, I mean really punish him till he’s ready to poke out his own eyeballs, swallow a .44 Magnum, slit his own wrists, or end his own life in front of a city bus, he should force him to come back to earth as a teenage girl. In less than a month, you’d read about the extravagant deaths of Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer and even Hannibal Lector. Yeah, and those sonsofbitches never stood a chance either.

But the true beauty in this novel, aside from the sudden deat
Larissa
Dec 06, 2013 Larissa rated it it was ok
More like 1.5 stars

You can also find this review at YA Midnight Reads

Don’t Even Think About It had quite an interesting premise (which was completely unrealistic but I was willing to put that aside) to me which happened to grab my attention. After reading a lot of more serious books recently, I needed a light and fluffy contemporary to switch things up.

Sadly enough Don’t Even Think About It didn’t do that for me. Contrary to the title, thinking was very much involved with this novel. It’s to
Cait (Paper Fury)
You know how you can feel "meh" about a 2-star book...or you can feel book-throwing furious? I'm kind of furious, peoples. But I'm going to write an intelligent review, I promise. Minimal ranting. Minimal angry GIFs. I'll be logical and precise about why I really didn't like this book. Pinky promise.

OH MY GOSH IT WAS SO FRUSTRATING.

I tried to be logical, okay?

I felt like the entire book was designed to be a Life Lesson. "You are what you think, blah blah." Preach me a sermon, why don't you? I
Anna Janelle
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced reader's copy of this book through Netgalley. I'm really pleased with my decision to see this edgy, quirky YA novel through to completion. It was enjoyable throughout, but it wasn't until the end of the novel that I realized that I was really emotionally invested in these teens' drama that was cleverly hidden a midst a backdrop of comedy and quips.

At BHS, the students in Homeroom 10B are close. Really close. There are NO secrets between them; in fact, t
Susane Colasanti
Feb 24, 2014 Susane Colasanti rated it it was amazing
Don't Even Think About It is Sarah Mlynowski's best teen novel yet! I absolutely adored it.
AH
Initial Thoughts: About a 3.0-3.5 star read for me. I think that this should appeal to both male and female young adult readers. The book is entertaining, but you do need to suspend belief just a little. Basically, a bunch of kids discover that they now have telepathic abilities after receiving the flu shot. While they are initially ecstatic about their telepathy, it does cause some problems and a case of too much information. There's also some ethical issues about cheating as well.

The Review:
T
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Maybe you think Olivia is telling the story. Or Mackenzie, or Cooper, or someone else in our homeroom you haven’t met yet.
It could be any of us.
But it’s not.
It’s all of us. We’re telling you this story together.

..and I was not happy about it.

What a letdown..

I started reading this with high expectations. But I guess the cover should've gave me a hint already that it wasn't gonna be that good as I was hoping for.

What is the story anyway?

They all got flu shots and then after that, they started h
HNGC Library
Oct 09, 2013 HNGC Library rated it really liked it
The students in one homeroom all get tainted vaccines that give them the ability to read the thoughts of others. At first they each think this ability is great. As time progresses, though, they each begin to realize that this ability has definite drawbacks. When everyone you hang out with knows all your thoughts you can't keep any secrets, think catty thoughts, hide your pain, have a hidden crush, and more. And then there's the opposite side of the equation: when you can read the thoughts of oth ...more
Donna
Messy. That is the word that comes to mind when thinking about this narration. I'm not necessarily blaming the narrator. I think that the plot & POV is so jumbled and scattered that the best it can aspire to be is Messy. Too bad. The summary & premise seemed like it could have been fun. When I first read the summary, it seemed like possibly a teen girl version of "What Women Want" - not so much. My advice if you're considering picking this one up - See the title.
Jasprit

Don’t Even Think About it, was a super surprising read. For me it had started off as if it was suitable for a much younger reading audience, but I’m glad that after seeing Mlynowski’s name on the book I decide to give it a go.

Classmates in class 10B were scheduled to get their flu shots like normal, however they didn’t expect to end up with telepathic skills, some students develop in a day or two, whereas others take much longer, but what is meant to be a really scary situation ends up
Elizabeth ☆❀Hot for Alphas❀☆
3.5 Telepathy Stars

This is the story of Homeroom 10B from Bloomberg High School in Tribeca, NY. They were all normal freshman until October 2nd, the day that changed everything. Their story is told as a "we" instead of an "I" POV (which took a little getting used to).

So what happened on October 2nd?

Homeroom 10B got the optional flu shot - well everyone but 2.

So what, people get the flu shot all the time!

Well this batch was special...it gave them ESP.

I really liked the beginning when all the s
Chloe
Aug 12, 2015 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super unique! I originally thought I would hate the "we" perspective but I ended up loving it.
The characters were all very different even thought there was over 20 of them. I recommend :)
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
Nov 12, 2013 Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-2014
3.5 Stars

A homeroom in a NYC high school goes to gets their flu shots at the nurses office. Everyone knows there are potential side effects with flu shots (fever, aches, etc.), but telepathy isn't supposed to be one of them. The next day everyone in the class who got the shot show up to school with ESP. "The Espies" as they come to call themselves, know everything you are thinking. They know everything that each other is thinking. This is not good if you have secrets that you want to stay hidden
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and Netgalley.)
A group of teens discover that after a flu jab, they can suddenly hear everybody’s thoughts.
Who has secrets that they need to hide from their friends though? How long will these abilities last? And is this new-found side effect a good thing or a bad thing?

Oh dear, yet another pretty cover, with a not-so-entertaining story behind it.

I felt like I couldn’t
Abbe Hinder
good

2.5 Stars!

Can you imagine ever reading someone’s mind? I mean, there has to be at least one person that you thought, “Man, if I could only know how they feel about…” that would just solve a few of your problems, right? Well, Don’t Even Think About It is like that. Sarah Mlynowski takes readers on a light-hearted ride into that What if world and shows us the good as well as the bad.

Unfortunately, this book is all it’s cracked up to be. Sure it’s entertaining and stuff (I’ll get into it later) bu
Anne
It was a cute story about a group of kids who get telepathic abilities from a flu shot.
It's a solid 3 star read, and I think it will do very well with the younger readers. However, I doubt that this will crossover well into the adult market, or even into the older YA audiences.
It's got a teeny bopper flavor to the story that kept me from fully caring what happened to the characters, but I'm not the target audience, so I'm not trying to be insulting. The closest I can come to describing the story
Liviania
Mar 24, 2014 Liviania rated it really liked it
Sarah Mlynowski's newest novel, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, pulls off a very neat trick: it's written in fourth person. It's a little disorienting at first, but then I started going with the flow of dipping in and out of heads and sometimes getting an opinion from several narrators at once.

You see, in DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, a group of high school students gain telepathy from a tainted batch of flu vaccine. This leads to some fun, but it also leads to them leaking all their secrets, learning n
Jen Ryland
Thanks to Random House for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book. Find more reviews, book discussion and great giveaways on my blog, YA Romantics.

I really liked this one. At first the all-over-the-place-in-everyone's-head multiple first person POV was driving me batty, and yes, there are a lot of characters, but then it all started to come together and I was engaged. Given the premise, these choices make total sense.

For me, this is the 21st century heir to one of my favorite childhoo
Piper
May 03, 2016 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski is a story of a regular class who turn into freaks because of one flu shot they can hear everyones thoughts and everyones secrets. Will they tell someone? I recomend this book to ages 13 up and people who like intriguing book. There is another book in this series called Think Twice.This is a great book and you don't want to stop reading the book.
Lucy Powrie
What would you do if you could read the minds of the people around you? It sure would be handy when you’ve fallen out with someone and don’t know what you’ve done wrong, or need to tell if someone is lying. Don’t Even Think About It explores this in a fun and gripping way.

When Class 10B have their flu injections, things seem normal at first. Then they start to hear the voices. With all of their secrets laid bare, how will this group of students cope as they’re forced to cooperate by something co
Viola
Aug 15, 2014 Viola rated it it was ok
This book has other flaws (cardboard cut-outs that I hesitate to call characters, major pacing problems, a horrible ending, no villain, petty problems… the list goes on and on), but my main issue with it is that the premise of this book was flawed intrinsically. This should not have been a book in the first place.
Books are just not the right medium to convey the weird and ridiculous mess of our thoughts (the closest any book got to that was The Knife Of Never Letting Go, but expecting every auth
Jordan
Apr 04, 2014 Jordan rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. There isn't much more to say. The character's jumped off the page. The fact that this book followed a multitude of characters, it was very easy to understand. I'm a can't-get-it-in-the-first-ten-pages-I'm-done kinda girl. This was not one of those books.

Such a stellar story. I cannot say enough about this book. I will admit I was hesitant to begin this book. I didn't think it could add up to Sarah Mlynowski's Magic In Manhattan Series, but this book was in a different f
Jessi
Feb 11, 2014 Jessi rated it really liked it
This book is not your typical fluff/mean girl/chic fiction, which is what the title lead me to expect.

Most of Homeroom 10B got the flu vaccination at the nurses office during lunch one day. By the next day they were hearing everyone's thoughts, but even better, they could communicate with each other mentally. Was it a cool talent or a cruel joke? For each of them it meant something different.

I enjoyed the humor and the diversity of the characters (although actual racial diversity was one thing t
Emily
There are a lot of characters in this story, Cooper, Mackenzie, Pi, Teddy, Olivia and more. I gravitated to Olivia's part of the story, her mother is highstrung and Olivia often spends her in the nurses office. When a flu shot leads to hearing everyone's thoughts everything changes. Relationships become strained and the aftermath of having everything out there in the open, causes hurt, hope, and a stream of frantic teenager emotions. When push comes to shove, they will have to decide if they wan ...more
MJ
Dec 24, 2013 MJ rated it liked it
Fairly decent. The "we" point of view was a bit weird, but ti surprisingly worked. Full review to come.
merireads
Jan 18, 2016 merireads rated it it was amazing
I love this even more than I did in seventh grade!
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Contemporary teen fiction with romance, secrets, scandals, and ESP!

Don't Even Think About It is exactly the kind of no-ifs, no-buts, no-whys required kind of story I didn't expect, but definitely needed. There wasn't much in the way of scandals, nor debilitating secrets; in fact, it was rid of angst almost entirely.

I don't think DETAI requires any changes that would have sold me on this book, more than my three-star rating. Average as it is, it's fun the way it is, minus some questionable slut-
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • Anything to Have You
  • Fat Boy vs the Cheerleaders
  • Riot
  • The Devil in the Corner
  • The 100 Society
  • Camp Payback (Camp Boyfriend, #2)
  • John Dreamer
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • The Elementalists
  • We Are the Goldens
  • Divided (Dualed, #2)
  • The Summer I Found You
  • Short Stories
  • The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant (V, #1)
  • First Time for Everything
  • Big Fat Disaster
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and
More about Sarah Mlynowski...

Don't Even Think About It (2 books)
  • Think Twice (Don't Even Think About It #2)

“That's our story.

How we became a we.

And that's what we are these day. A we.

When you're a group that can hear each other's thoughts, the line between I and We gets kind of blurry.”
8 likes