Start by marking “From the Ashes (Fire and Rain, #1)” as Want to Read:
From the Ashes (Fire and Rain, #1)

From the Ashes

(Fire and Rain #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,646 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
He wanted a boyfriend. What he got was a hero.

When an accident burns down Jesse’s apartment, he’s left broke and homeless, with a giant dog and a college schedule he can’t afford to maintain. And no family who’s willing to take him in.

Lucky for him, a sexy fireman offers him a place to stay. The drawback? The fireman’s big Latino family lives next door, and they don’t know
Published August 13th 2013 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about From the Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Ashes

Susan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

New-to-me author Daisy Harris just picked up another fan! I really, really enjoyed this book. It’s surprisingly sweet, very low on the angst-o-meter, and the 2 MC’s were just so likable it was hard not to get sucked in!

The blurb is spot on for what you’ll find in this story. Jesse is new to Seattle after having been kicked out of his family home for being gay. He doesn’t have a lot of close friends or connections…and this becomes painfully evident when he comes home from grocery shoppin
Gigi
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-firefighters
I'm afraid that the fact I was so incredibly pumped up for this book ended up being a huge detriment to my enjoyment of it. Because it really was a disappointment to me. I had been super excited and really amped up for a firefighter book (my absolute favorite of M/M romance genres) from a particular favorite author, Daisy Harris since March 6, 2013. That's 6 long months to psych yourself up. And psych myself up I did.

So, why was I underwhelmed? The biggest reason was the two main characters, Tom
Shurrn
Romance with heart & heat!

He’d always thought being in love would feel great and make him happy. Solve all his problems. But now he knew love hurt.
This book packed more emotion than I had assumed, and I was pleasently surprised by everything it had to offer! I went into this thinking that the heat factor provided by an MM Romance with a fireman involved would be right up my naughty alley. What I found was a slightly angsty romance between two men who haven't quite learned how to comfort
Ami

I am a Daisy Harris virgin -- and the reason why I decide to try this is because my friend, Mandy, nudged me to read this as our buddy read. Well, for the first try, I will say that I like it but not loving it.

I like the writing -- it feels smooth and I like the Seattle setting. The characters are likeable and hey, extra point for the dogs! The story is low on angst, which on one hand, I appreciate.

However, at the same time, it makes the story lack of 'something' (I like to think it's t
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Anke, Ami and I are going to buddy read this one, anyone who wants to join us when it comes out on the 13th feel free. :)
The more the merrier.

Here's the thread:

Thanks to the great BR Ladies! :))

3.75*

I think my expectations going into this story were slightly swayed due to the blurb, so I was sort of expecting more conflict/difficulty for the couple based on that.

Jesse is a real sweetheart, despite losing everything and having no one to turn to when everyt
Julio Genao
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I REGRETTED THIS DECISION IMMEDIATELY
Macky
3.5*
I've read a few Daisy Harris books and enjoyed them a lot so I wasn't new to her writing style which is very easy so I was really looking forward to this one. The smoking hot cover was part of what drew me to start with but I also liked the sound of the blurb too. It had a hot fireman, a cute guy in distress, quirky friends, daft dogs, low angst, but a touch of homophobia from the family sector to keep it from being totally laid back and some sexy smexing. I wanted to love this so much b
DaisyGirl
2.0 Stars

Jesse Smith's life has gone up in flames, literally. After Jesse's parents kick him out of the house for being gay, Jesse moves into a crappy studio apartment in Seattle with little more than the clothes on his back. When a fire destroys all of his earthly belongings, Jesse finds himself homeless, friendless, and with a bull mastiff in tow. He has no where to turn until fire fighter, Tomas Perez, offers him a place to stay. Unfortunately, Tomas lives next door to his big Latino family,
Christina
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh, this was easily forgettable. The characters were flat and it was an insta-love deal. There was very little chemistry between Thomas and Jesse and I never felt a connection. A big problem I had was that even though Tomas was in the closet, he didn't seem to struggle much with showing Jesse affection. He would complain about his co-workers and family not accepting him but when it came down to it, it really didn't bother him.

This book had no backbone and was on the boring side.
V
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm the only one who think that to wait until August for this release is too long, come on!! it's about 144 days, 3456 hours, 207360 minutes..that's a long wait.

UPDATED

I just going to say that after all this time waiting for this book, I was expecting fireworks and what I got was a candle light.
Mandapanda
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
3.25 stars. It took me until around 40% to really get into this story. M/M firefighter romances have been done many times before and this felt too light and fluffy at the start. But the author neatly side-stepped all the cliches I was expecting and the story became more unpredictable and more interesting as it progressed. I liked the HFN ending. No saccharine epilogue and some intriguing secondary characters that make me think this will be another series.
Lucy
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a super fan of Daisy Harris’ Holsum College series, I was very excited (to say the least) about this one. From the Ashes is longer than the average Holsum book and concentrates on Jesse and Tomas. Jesse has been thrown out of his house and is living in Seattle, supporting himself while putting himself through school. He’s lonely and sad but he’s moving forward with his life. Except that when a fire burns down his apartment he loses basically everything in his world. In addition, the landlords ...more
Natasha
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I.... DNF about 35% through. I'm a failure, but I just couldn't get into this book. What I did read was... silly. Cute, but silly. I don't know how to describe it.
I think Tomas must have winked at Jesse so many times within the first 3 chapters, if I were Jesse I would've thought that Tomas had some kind of a tick.
Their relationship moved really fast but without... backing to it. Like Tomas never went home with guys but something is different about Jesse. Okay. What? What's different? Why's he
Candice
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok

I think I was expecting more from this book, I was definitely expecting hot firefighters and while that was Tomas' occupation, that was all I got and I wanted more. The story of Jesse and Tomas was alright, the story, for me at least was missing chemistry between them. Everything just happened at such a fast pace, that there was just no development or progression in their relationship, they went from strangers to living together within a couple of pages it felt like. There were just all
~RMG
Aug 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars - Loved the cover...but that's about it. From the very first chapter, I struggled to keep reading (so not a good sign). I just didn't feel anything for the characters, or their drama. And I most definitely didn't like how everything kind of ran into each other. Paragraphs that should've indicated a section break or POV change just meshed together, annoying the hell out of me as I tried to figure out whose POV the story had suddenly switched to. By the end of the story, I was left more ...more
Isabel
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, m-m, ya
This is the kind of book that gives happiness to the reader... Almost without angst or stress, this is the story of two men that meet because of a fire and how their love grew! There is sweetness, tenderness and a beautiful love!
Bitchie
I just didn't feel this one. I didn't feel the connection between the characters, and I didn't get what seemed like a swift turn around with Tomas and his issues.
Meep
Aug 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Reading this quickly became a struggle, if not for the buddy read I'd have DNF'd instead of plodding through. It's too bland to be hated for anything, if you approach it with low expectations you might enjoy it.

There's no chemistry or connection, between the characters or to the reader. If you changed one or both over at any point I'd not have cared. Throughout the book characters make assumptions and have reactions that don't make sense, and development isn't shown.

Tomas has huge conflicts yet
Samuel Black
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Daisy Harris is an author I hadn't read before I picked up From The Ashes. I really didn't know what to expect when I started this book, but I was really impressed.

I'd like to see more of these characters - especially now that their relationship is out in the open.

This story went beyond the whole "older hot fireman and scared college twink" dynamic. I guess I was expecting something a little more tabboo, but it wound up being really sweet.
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
Based off that smoking hot cover I thought.....Hot firemens? Smoky M/M lurve? Kinky place for firehoses??? I kid, I kid (I'm sick. Help) I'm all in.

But alas......Ugh, no. Major mehhhhfest. I didn't feel any chemistry between the 2 mains. Jessie's house burns down, Tomas offers him a place to stay, in the closet firefighter wants to hump, homophobe family and friends provide the angst. Tomas was kinda pushy. Jessie is a kid and out and proud and here's this hot older dude that only wants to sex
Christina Marie
I didn’t dislike From the Ashes, but I didn’t have overwhelming feelings of love for it either. I don’t have strong feelings about the book in either direction, and the characters didn’t leave much of a lasting impression on me. I did find reading it enjoyable, but I promptly forgot most of what I read a day later.

Just some thoughts:

1. Closeted characters are kind of like Daisy’s theme. It’s her thing. But it’s never the same experience, and I think she does it well.

2. So, as expected, themes
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Clearly Daisy Harris loves Seattle as much as I do. It was fun to see my beloved city through someone else's eyes. She's a transplant but she's been assimilated since she actually wears socks with sandals she says. Ewwwww. Even I'm not that bad. :)

This was a very sweet book and the only reasons I didn't give it five stars were that there was no plot and that it was too monotone. What I mean is that almost all of the conflict was resolved within a few pages. The longest conflict was resolved with
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it

This was a really cute story about a very sweet, down-on-his-luck guy and the really nice hot, albeit in the closet, fireman who helps him out. I felt bad for Jesse and Tomas. I just wanted things to be easier for them. Poor Jesse lost almost everything but is a confident young gay man. He ends up falling for Tomas, who is completely the opposite in terms of his gay comfort level, due, in most part, to his family upbringing. It takes some doing, but his feelings for Jesse finally overri
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★☆☆☆
Closeted fireman Tomas meets recent Seattle transplant Jesse after his apartment burns up. Tomas, against policy, suggests Jesse and the landlord's dog that he's adopted stay with him temporarily, since Jesse has no one else to stay with and has little money.

I don't know, this book gave me kinda weird vibes. Tomas had some strange ideas about gay sex for the first 2/3 of the book and I just didn't feel it. Although the last third of the book, I felt Tomas had finally come around and was wil
Heller
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-firemen, mm-ltoyw
I will say that I loved Jesse here but I think he deserved a lot better than Tomas.

Jesse's apartment burns down and he needs a place to stay. A firefighter at the scene offers him a bed for the night (view spoiler) that turns out to be a bit longer term than overnight. Add to the awkwardness Tomas' family lives next door and they do
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, samhain, whit
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

Let’s just start with how awesome that cover! It’s gorgeous and me being the cover whore that I am, was drawn to this book instantly. The blurb made me mark it to read and I’m very glad I did. This was my first Daisy Harris book and won’t be my last.

Jesse has barely made it out of his parent’s homophobic house when everything he has worked so hard to get is consumed in a fire in his apartment building. It’s not just his stuff. Jesse finally has his o
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Armchair Reader.

I really liked this story. It’s a bit predictable but the characters and the overall writing make up for that.

This is about Jesse who has his apartment burned down, leaving him homeless and with his ex-landlords’ dog. Tomas was one of the responding firefighters and helped Jesse through his shock. Unable to leave Jesse homeless, he takes him home and cares for him and his big dog, Chardonnay. What starts there is a sweet but awkward relati
Sandra
The blurb for this book pretty much covers what is going on inside, so I won't bore you with those details. This was my second book by Daisy Harris, and aside from a couple of questionable word choices, I very much enjoyed reading it.

I hated Tomas for about 50% of this book, until he finally starts pulling his a$$ out of his butt and acts like a real man, and his brother Diego only redeemed himself to some extent by the very end. I loved Maria, and came to appreciate both of Tomas' parents.

Homo
Trisha Harrington
This is one of those books that was really good, and I mean really, really good, but I just didn't love it. I am a huge fan of firemen and men in uniform, so when I saw this I raced to get it. And I am so glad I did because I really did enjoy the book. There were a couple of issues with the book, though, and I couldn't give it more than 3.5 stars, rounded up because I did enjoy it.

I loved the idea of the closeted fireman and the college kid. And it was well executed. Jesse and Tomas were nice to
Buddy Read 194 64 Aug 15, 2013 06:32AM
  • Sweet Young Thang (Theta Alpha Gamma, #3)
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • F.A.S.T. Balls (Balls To The Wall, #5)
  • Junk (The Bristol Collection, #1)
  • Spark (North Star #1)
  • Slam!
  • Charlie, Rentboy (Working Boys #1)
  • Jack: Grime and Punishment (The Brothers Grime, #1)
  • Bolt-Hole
  • Bad Influence (Bad in Baltimore, #4)
  • Let It Snow (Minnesota Christmas, #1)
  • Marriage - A Home Series Celebration
  • Mark Cooper versus America (Prescott College, #1)
  • Apple Polisher (Rear Entrance Video #1)
Retired party girl and science fiction enthusiast, Daisy Harris spends most of her time writing sexy romance and plotting the fall of Western civilization. Her books can be found on Amazon, Nook, and wherever else fine erotic romance is sold.

Ms. Harris lives in Seattle, where she tortures her husband by making it rain. She enjoys watching bridges cause traffic, watching football games cause traffi

Fire and Rain (5 books)
  • After the Rain (Fire and Rain, #2)
  • Nothing But Smoke (Fire and Rain, #3)
  • November Rain (Fire and Rain, #4)
  • Ghost in the Flames (Fire and Rain, #5)