Start by marking “By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)” as Want to Read:
By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)

By a Thread

(By a Thread #1)

Published March 15th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published March 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about By a Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By a Thread

Start your review of By a Thread (By a Thread, #1)
R.L. Griffin
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorites
Michelle
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Single moments can make or break you. For Stella her life seemed to be filled with moments that broke her. I did not know what to expect when I started this, but what I got blew me away.

The prologue... you just know it's going to be amazing when you are already drawn in with just the first few pages. A flash of what is to come...a dramatic scene. You spend the rest of the book trying to figure out how we got there.

In a single moment her world ended.
She lost him.
She lost herself.

The only thin
Miss
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: waste-of-time
The sample gave me enough that I was curious as to where this story was heading so I purchased it and read the book this morning. There was an intense prologue at the beginning of this book so I read on with high hopes for how it would all play out in the end.

My issues are few but the ones that I do have are important for a story to have in order for me to connect.

1. The author does not describe the environment that surrounds the characters. The readers are given the bare minimum even when it co
Sofia Lazaridou
Aug 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
*Possible spoiler warning*

I would like to say that I lost hours of sleep because I had to read this and now in 7:15 in the morning I regret it. This is not a book that is worth losing your sleep over.

I did not like the book. Stella was pissing me off 9.9 out of 10 times. She must be the character that I have ever hated the most in a book. She was a coward, selfish, stubborn and self-destructive. I wanted to throw something at her just in case she woke and realized what she was doing. Am I the
Shamika
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I am literally hanging by a thread! What just happened? I went back and re-read the last couple chapters again. At one point I think I was holding my breath. Right at the start I knew I would like this book and I loved it.

So Stella is recently engaged, living in a new town and about to start law school. Her future is looking bright and she couldn't be happier. Then tragedy strikes and her world is literally rocked! She's alone and doesn't know how to live. Stella finds comfort in drinking and s
J

But why...

I don't....

What??

How?

Omg I can't even form a sentence right now..
I'll be back back with a review when I can get my head around this.
Lys
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert!!! I feel like I can't even write this review...or even rate this book. I am so frustrated! The prologue had me hooked immediately. After Jaime died I just knew the man with the eyes was going to be him. I figured that the ATF had faked his death but why Jaime would have picked a job over her if they had such a great love was beyond me. I continued reading anxiously awaiting to be reintroduced to that scene to get answers. Did he really shoot her? I was so mad when the book ended t ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the publisher and the author for the opportunity.

I have slept overnight before writing this review, to let it all settle in my thoughts and feelings. This was an out of the box read for me as when I chose it I did not realise it fell into the New Adult category and that's a genre I don't usually explore however this was not a bad read at all with a few surprises I was not expecting
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 shiny stars

OMG what have I just read..the prologue gets you hooked and then the ending really pees you off...I have just spent a good 10-15 minutes looking to see if there is a sequel and thank god there is..the book just ended...I have so many questions...so many answers I need..I was like argggghhh seriously that cannot be the end of the book..it is not a cliff hanger but I just wasn't ready for it to end, neither were the characters and neither were all my questions I still want answered!
Emma Corcoran
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They say never to judge a book by it's cover. Well I did on this one and I LOVED the cover, so with a glowing recommendation from those lovely gals at A Love Affair with Books I 'one-clicked' and By A Thread was immediately moved up my TBR list. TBH I only read the first two lines of the blurb of the book and I knew it would be my kinda book.

Stella has been dealt the shittiest deck of cards life can throw at her. Her idyllic life with a bright future clearly mapped out ahead, is suddenly and irr
Jennifer Lane
Picking Up The Pieces

Author R.L. Griffin and I will attend the New Adult Sleepover Weekend in Savannah, Georgia in December, 2013 (more info here: http://newadultsleepover.blogspot.com). When I discovered she writes my favorite genre of romantic suspense, I definitely wanted to read her novel! And I'm so glad I did.

Stella and Jamie were student-athletes at the same university. They fell in love and got engaged, then moved to Washington, D.C. to live together. Jamie starts a career with the ATF (
Yari
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy Crap what a book!

From the moment that I picked up this book I literally couldn’t put it down… so I didn’t! It really sucked me in to the story and had me captivated by the characters. It was an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish.

RL Griffin is unbelievable! She threw so many twists and turns into this story that I did not know where it was headed but they worked brilliantly.

Stella deals with a seriously heavy and emotional event that leaves her not knowing how to cope with life i
Aestas Book Blog
Apr 21, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: top-tbr, soon

I like the sound of this one!!

BLURB --> Stella's future was set, and it was a bright one. She was engaged to a man she adored, and was headed to law school in the fall. Tragically, her perfectly planned future ends just as it was beginning.

With no ties to family or friends, Stella finds herself alone in a new city, spiraling out of control. Her typical day comes to a close with her passed out on the floor; sometimes clothed.

Luckily, her new roommate, essentially a stranger, is dead set on get
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: smut-romance
Read more of my reviews and ramblings, and enter this giveaway at Ana's Attic Book Blog

By a Thread by R.L. Griffin is a book, from the description, that there is no way I would have read, despite it's awesome cover. If you guys have been following my reviews, you know I like feel-good books. Emotions are fine if I get my HEA. But my sister asked me to do a friend a favor and read her book, and I did, with some trepidation from reading the blurb. Well guess what? I was completely and utt
*Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha
Amazing 5 Star read for me. Highly emotional Made me truly feel as I read it; made me experience the pain of Stella. I find it hard to even write a review that does it justice. Just know that when you pick up this book, you are taking a journey through Stella's life at its lowest point. All she had planned, all she had longed was right there....then just gone. Her coping mechanisms? Alcohol. Over and over and over. She is shattering but soon her new roommate Patrick is there to help pick up the ...more
hugsandcookies
A pretty good suspense what-the-hell-happened read.

The prologue introduces Stella and then a cliffhanger. WTH. My thoughts exactly. But as you read on, the story unfolds from prologue to ending and at times I felt it drag abit.

This book brings a lot of feels and oh know, please no Stella moments. Stella's happy moments to her downhill out of control don't want to care moments. Stella uses alcohol as her way of forgetting what happened. She also has pretty awesome friends well I for one think th
Hollie
This book was all over the place. I'm talking a major clusterfuck. Several times I wanted to just stop reading this and be done with it, but I kept on going because in all honesty, the storyline wasn’t your typical layout and I wanted to see how things played out. Here's the thing............they didn’t. Tons of loose ends, nothing was resolved. Confusion galore. Little to nothing made sense, and the plot was hard to follow. I understand this is book 1 of a series, but I never appreciate feeling ...more
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs

Stella's future was all set. She was engaged to a man she adored, and was about to start a new life in a new town. She was going to start law school until tragically, her perfectly planned future is thrown into turmoil.

This amazing story will keep you gripped. I must have caught myself ten times with my brow drawn up in astonishment, with my mouth hanging open thinking what the hell just happened!!

Fraught with a myriad of emotions, heartbreak, love and longing this truly is a amazing read. I'm l
Desiree Gorman - A Love Affair With Books
When reading the synopsis for By A Thread, I have to be honest, I was completely scared. I absolutely hate tragedy and am such an emotional nut that when the bad stuff happens, I can't stop crying. After reading By A Thread, I can honestly say, the book overview doesn't even come close to doing the justice the book deserves.

To read the rest of my review, visit A Love Affair With Books.
Kiki
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!
Sandie Book Boyfriend Reviews
5/5 hearts

Sometimes its hard to read a friends book and be totes honest because you have built a friendship right? unless you are me. I am honest so with that said I want to tell RL WTF??? like seriously WTF??
lets see if I can better explain this to you all ok.

1. This book took me and turned me upside down, then it grabbed me by shoulders shook the shit out of me, next it slapped me in my face, finally it set me down and gave a little bit of love but not too much.

2. What
Cristina
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
By a Thread is definitely a different read and it’s totally up my alley. This is romance-suspense at its finest and it will keep you guessing the entire time.

The story starts out with Stella and Jamie who met during college and the
AmberB
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
What the... I am honestly ticked and have been since I finished this two days ago. I don't even know where to begin. First let me apologize for the rant. I normally do not do this, but it is a must. I will try to explain by not giving away any details. Wish me luck!

Lets begin. If this is a stand alone book I will be livid. If this book has a sequel I will be even more irate than I already am. Honestly, I am furious! I read the prologue and the first few chapters and thought this is going to be g
Saunders
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, series
Well this book had it all. Heartbreak, loss, longing, love...and this story was very appropriately named as it will have a lot of you "hanging by a thread" until the very last page. It was quite a story and the synopsis doesn't prepare you for what you are about to read.

This is a very good novel from RL Griffin and it is a free download. Something very different and I really liked the way the story started with the ending.

Her future was set; she adored Jamie and was headed to law school but the
Tracy
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book when I picked it up.....but I enjoyed every minute of it. All characters in this book were wonderful!!! Stella is one BADASS chick and I just loved George (or whatever his name is....hahahahaha). The prologue sets you up for a very interesting read....and then the tragedy happens to Stella that just broke my heart for her. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be in that position but she was lucky to have Patrick and Billy there to guide her throu ...more
Pamela
Ria
GAH!!! Loved, loved, every second of this READ! It's like Ms. Griffin took all of my favorite things, and cleverly put them in THIS.BOOK! I found my self saying “hey me too”... Like.A.LOT! Amazing! I Laughed, I cried, I cringed, and I screamed!!

My Rating

4.5 Swiming pool, Drunken Dare, Dog park, Red heels, Drunken torture, Deleted FB account, Study group, Scary tattoo, Spare key, Motorcycle ride, Nervous vomiting, Blonde Beard, AFT Agent Debriefing, Sudden Bombing, Embracing Love filled Stars!!
CeCe
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book did not work for me. I felt no connection to the main character, Stella. I am not sure if it was because the story was written in third person or that she was just mean. I understand her fiancé died, but three years later and she is still whining “poor me.” I mean I understood her initial pain over losing Jamie, but she was so hurtful to the people who tried to help her. And all the drinking. I do not understand why George or anyone wanted to spend any time with Stella. It was as if sh ...more
Mags Pereira
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'll make sure to make this review spoiler free and bried. I will have a full review for you all at www.smibookclub.com in the coming days.

Talk about twists! Usually you know or have a feeling where a book is going. Not with this story you don't! Even through the pain and suffering, R.L Griffin managed to bring us comic relief. There were a few parts that I had to re-read because I literally laughed out loud. Remember, this is book 1 of the series so there will be lots of questions once you are
Melissa Owen
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this 2nd book by RL Griffin. Stella will totally win you over. One minute you commiserate with her pain and the next you are celebrating with her and laughing. I will confess that at one point in the book I actually cried! I was touched by Stella's relationships with her friends and how they each supported her and each other in different ways. A truly awesome read! I can't wait for Stella's next adventure! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Every Last Secret
  • Shadows in the Water (Shadows in the Water #1)
  • Eat, Pray, #FML
  • Sweet Water
  • I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman
  • Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead (ToadWitch, #1)
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • The Eve Tree
  • The Forgotten Seamstress
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Under the Aspens (The Aspen, #1)
  • The Russian: A Dark Mafia Romance
  • Getaway Girl (Girl, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • House Report
  • Master of Salt & Bones
  • The Horse Dancer
  • All That I Need, or Live Like a Dog with Its Head Stuck Out the Car Window
R.L. lives in the Atlanta area with her husband, son, and two dogs. After going to law school at American University, Washington College of Law, she settled back in the state in which she grew up but only after she fell in love with D.C. She worked in the Senate during the impeachment trial and the Department of Justice.

She loves reading all sorts of books and rarely has free time.

By a Thread (5 books)
  • Tension (By a Thread, #2)
  • Seamless (By a Thread, #3)
  • Mending (By a Thread, #3.5)
  • Heart in Wire (By a Thread, #4)

News & Interviews

“She was held together by a thread. Not even a strong fishing wire, but the kind of thread that could fray and break in the wind. A thread that could unravel at any moment, scattering and smashing all the pieces of her that she as trying desperately to keep together.” 13 likes
“Time makes things tolerable. Time gives you perspective on events that shake your world to the core. Time allows you to move forward. But time doesn’t change the pain that sits in your gut.” 11 likes