Start by marking “My First Trip to China Scholars Diplomats and Journalists Reflect” as Want to Read:
My First Trip to China Scholars Diplomats and Journalists Reflect

My First Trip to China Scholars Diplomats and Journalists Reflect

“Illuminating . . . Fascinating . . . Engaging. A reminder of the kinds of shattering debutante encounters with the enormity, and often imponderability, of Chinese realities that have shaped those who travelled there. Features reminiscences by many of the voices that have come to define how, until fairly recently, the West understood, however partially and imperfectly, Chi ...more
Published November 20th 2012 by East Slope Publishing Limited

Be the first to ask a question about My First Trip to China Scholars Diplomats and Journalists Reflect

Start your review of My First Trip to China Scholars Diplomats and Journalists Reflect
Frank
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book. Kin-ming Liu showed a lot of vision in collecting these essays, by important journalists, scholars, diplomats and businessmen who have played a large role in the way Westerners have understood China during recent decades.
These "first trip" essays are full of personal anecdotes that shed light both on China, and on the authors. Some are humorous --for example, when Perry Link tries to buy a broom as a souvenir for his Mother, or when Jerome Cohen gets a completely fabricated r
Wsclai
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though the PRC today is very different from what is described in the book, it is still an eye-opening voyage, which provides an alternative views to the history of the communist China.
I have learned about One-child policy from books and know that it has long been implemented much against the will of people. Yet, I was appalled to know that women who were 9-month pregnant were coerced to abort their children with C-section. The brutality is far from what I can imagine.
Another part that impressed
Richard
Jun 04, 2019
Hector Chavez
Apr 09, 2013
Charles Dusenbury
Nov 05, 2017
Patricia
rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2016