Start by marking “Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives” as Want to Read:
Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives

Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives

In one lifetime, a caribou will shed 10 sets of antlers, a woodpecker will drill 30 roosting holes, a giraffe will wear 200 spots, a seahorse will birth 1,000 babies.

Count each one and many more while learning about the wondrous things that can happen in just one lifetime. This extraordinary book collects animal information not available anywhere else—and shows all 30 roos
Published September 24th 2013 by Chronicle Books (first published September 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifetime

Candace
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-5-star
This picture book introduces different animals and what they will do in one lifetime. For example, a caribou "will shred 10 sets of antlers," or a rattlesnake "will add forty beads to its rattle." At the back of the book is further information on the animals and how the average was calculated. Furthermore, there is a page on "What is an average?" and a page entitled, "I love math," in which the author discusses word problems.

This math book (for that is what it is) explores the concept of mathem
Cheryl
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh wow. So beautiful, fun, and fascinating. Perfect for educators of science, math, and even art. My only complaint is that it's too short. Even with the wonderful appendices, which include numbers relevant to three more critters, I just wanted it to go on and on....

Did you know that a red kangaroo can birth at least 50 joeys in one lifetime?
Colby Sharp
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I think that Christopher Silas Neal is the freaking bomb.
Tasha
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Take a unique look at what animals will do in a single lifetime in this book that combines counting, math and fascinating scientific facts. The book focuses on how many times a single animal will do a behavior during their life. The facts are based on estimations and opens with a description of how the numbers were figured out and explaining that each individual animal will be different than the estimate. The book opens with one spider’s egg sac, the sole one she will create in a lifetime. It th ...more
Joanna Thompson
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
“During our year together we are going to learn a great deal about numbers! They are all around us, including the lives of animals. Today, we are going to read Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives, by Lola M. Schaefer. What word do you see right away on the cover? [LIFETIME]. What does this word mean? [Children respond.] You will see this word throughout the story. Lola Schaefer shares how numbers are related in different animals’ lives. Look out for Christopher Silas Neal’s amazing ill ...more
Barbara
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are curious individuals among us who wonder about numbers. For instance, how many egg sacs do spiders spin during a lifetime? How many fleeces will an alpaca grow during a lifetime? How many nests will one alligator build during a lifetime? How many baby seahorses will a male seahorse give birth to during the course of one lifetime? The questions--and their answers--are infinitely fascinated, designed to entice the curious among us--and maybe even make a wonderer out of you. Back matter in ...more
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and elegant facts about what animals do in a lifetime. From "this spider will spin 1 papery egg sac" to "this mail seahorse will carry and birth 1,000 teeny-weeny, squiggly-wiggly baby seahorses." Additional information about each animal is included at the end of the text, with facts about the average adult life span and the scientific name. The book also explains what is average and provides an additional page called "I Love Math."

Perfect for students in grades 2 - 4. M
Angie Schaefer Ellefson
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book provides interesting facts about animals in terms of numbers. For example, did you know that in one lifetime a woodpecker will drill 30 roosting holes and a seahorse will give birth to 1,000 babies! It also includes informational paragraphs about each animal in the back of the book. I was disappointed in the book's abrupt ending. I was expecting more interesting animal facts, but all of the sudden, after only reading facts about 11 animals, I had reached the rather large informational ...more
Lynn
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This really is an extraordinary book. The concept is fascinating and totally unique and I was absorbed completely in what numbers and behaviors would be revealed next. The information on each animal at the back is also excellent and the I Love Math section so intriguing. This is a terrific concept book with a difference. I loved the illustrations too - they work so well with the text for each example.
Beverly
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jnf-500
Fascinating information that I think young elementary students will gobble up. The mixed media illustrations are very nice, and does depict all the objects referred to in the text; for example, if you have time to count them, you will probably find 1000 tiny wiggly seahorse babies on that double-page spread.
Edward Sullivan
A brilliant concept book for learning about the wondrous things that can happen in just one animal's lifetime, visualizing large and small numbers, and the concept of averages.
Donalyn
A marvelous book that uses biology and math to explain what animals accomplish in one lifetime. The back matter explains more about each animal and breaks down the math calculations.
Trever
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A good book about different animals and approximations of what occurs during their lifetime. Great book to use for estimation.
Selena Landeros
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives written by Lola M. Schaefer and illustrated by Christopher Silas is focused on the random facts of animals and the numbers that relate to them. The author starts off the book with explaining what lifetime means and then explains how she found the numbers that were related to the animal. The book is then continued by talking about a different animal on each page and saying interesting facts about the animal that is related to a number. Schaefer does a ...more
Sunah Chung
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book introduces information on multiple animals that can be observed in one lifetime. For instance, rattlesnakes would add 40 beads to its rattle in one lifetime. The information described in this book is extraordinary and is not found in a series of nonfiction picture books. The book cover illustrates woodpeckers pecking trees and holes are filled with numbers which implies the motive of this book. The recursive patterns in the sentences on every page would stimulate young readers’ expectat ...more
Ruby Velazquez
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for children who are learning big numbers and associating them to real objects. As I read through I would say it was an enjoyable book of facts that I can see being used for younger students to become excited about math (numbers) but still have the opportunity to learn more about each animal talked about. The book is very well constructed to give a variety of fun facts about different animals in a not so boring kind of way. Children are able to read the sentences and then as ...more
Lindsey
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another winner in the concise-text-with-engaging-illustrations-that-reveal-more-in-depth-info-at-the-end category. Using numbers achieved in a lifetime as the context from the book is brilliant and gives us a new way to look at familiar animals. I love having a stockpile of these type of books for read aloud because they have offerings for the shared reading as well as the independent reading. And this one throws in a math lesson, too!
Ashley Biles
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-shelf
Schaefer, L. Ill: Neal, C. S. (2016) Lifetime: The amazing numbers in animal lives. San Francisco, California: Chronicle Books.

I loved how this book took a different take on learning numbers. Not only are you learning the numbers in the book, but you are learning about the numbers that naturally occur out in the wild! From antlers to woodpeckers and seahorses. This book is full of amazing things to learn.
Whole And
Incredible book for the young animal lover and learning how math is a very useful tool to study animals and other patterns. A couple of word problems in the end solidify the learning in a fun and engaging way. Illustration are equally incredible, cultivating a deeper appreciation for the bounty and beauty of the natural world.
Alyson Carroll
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
This book gives an animal and how many times it will do or grow something in their lifetime. It is a simple read and very informational at the same time. I even learned new things while reading this book! I would read this to my students of any age.
Seema Rao
Wonderful book about animals using numbers to quantify life experiences ( in a lifetime a caribou has x sets of antlers) with clear, thoughtful, concise text and wonderful multi-colored block illustrations.
Megan Lewis
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Grade 1s were completely enthralled reading this book. It ties in well with out “Living Things” unit and it got them asking questions, wondering and excited about learning more.

Also, the numbers worked into the images makes the numbers seem more real. The students loved it.
Kelly
The text includes extended information about the author's calculations, including discussion about what a mathematical average is and several similar animal-related math problems for readers to solve.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting mathematical information about a handful of animals. Great way to connect reading, science and math.
Lynn  Davidson
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting facts found by using math, about twelve different animals. Nicely illustrated.
Jim Lyons
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to share with grandkids. The subjects include two favorite areas: the animal kingdom and math! Love the back of the envelope estimation- a great skill in life!
Amanda
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, nature
Love the concept.
Fun wildlife facts.
I only wished there were more!
Amanda Geske
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
“In one lifetime, this bottlenose dolphin will use the same 100 teeth to grab food from the sea. The slipperier, the better!”
Maddie Russell
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives" combines base-ten counting with fascinating animal facts to create an interesting, yet informational read for children. To appeal to older audiences, Schaefer included a plethora of scientific resources within her book's back matter, making this a wonderful education for a variety of ages.

Media: mixed media, by Christopher Silas Nelson

"Lifetime" was a very interesting read; I myself learned quite a few facts about the animal kingdom which I did no
Tori Crumrine
Illustrations were made using mixed media.

Using numbers, the book refers to different aspects of the lives of various animals. For instance, it may tell the reader how many of a certain product are produced by that animal, or how many times an animal may perform a specific activity in their lifetime.

The illustrations supplement the story very well because they depict the number and item that the words tell about. The back matter contains the species of the animals referred to and gives more info
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Pink Is for Blobfish: Discovering the World's Perfectly Pink Animals
  • How to Be an Elephant
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?