Start by marking “Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology” as Want to Read:
Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology

Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology

Filipino Americans have a long and rich history with and within the United States, and they are currently the second largest Asian group in the country. However, very little is known about how their historical and contemporary relationship with America may shape their psychological experiences. The most insidious psychological consequence of their historical and contempora ...more
Published February 20th 2013 by Information Age Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Brown Skin, White Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brown Skin, White Minds

Start your review of Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology
Michael Constantine
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty interesting. The author occasionally makes comparisons to the colonial mentality/internalized oppression felt by Filipinos-/ Americans and African and Native Americans. I'd be interested in hearing that conversation expanded to Indian-/American communities.
Elaine (Leng)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although highly recommended for research on Filipino peoples, I ignored this book for a long time because my interests are on precolonial Philippine society, and not postcolonial. However, I decided to pick up this book because I thought that although my project is on precolonial peoples, my audience is not. It's important for me to know what issues are relevant in today's postcolonial society, so that I can at least be sensitive about it in my project.

This book gave me a lot of reassurance that
Michael Miranda
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. David does an amazing job in illustrating the indigenous psychology movement's efforts to integrate in traditional psychology. His succinct history of the Philippines, causes of colonial mentality, the aftermath, and what academia is doing and can do shows what individuals can do in every day work to address colonial mentality. The epilogues by several academics are also of value.
Hillary Paulino
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is so important to me as a Filipino.

Growing up and hearing comments about how dark your skin has gotten or tips on how to straighten your nose really distorts your self image. I can't scrub away the melanin in my skin and I can't straighten up my nose just by using a clothes peg. I'm not fair haired, fair skinned or tall. I wasn't born that way. Filipinos aren't born pale, or tall or with straight European noses. We don't have blue eyes or green - we have brown.

Yet Filipinos grow up in
Frrobins
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is not for the lay person and spends a significant amount of time on research methods. There was some good stuff on Filipino culture, the history of discrimination, how colonial mentality develops and how to be a sensitive counselor. It was sort of a sample of things to explore in depth, though, and especially during the last half of the book focused heavily of methodology, so much that I was relieved to be finished with it.

I did learn some good information and it is a starting point f
R.
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brown Skin, White Minds was an eye opener. I’ve had Filipino friends for 8 years now, some very close friends, and I wish I would have read this book sooner. It has a lot of insight into the culture and cultural inner struggles of Filipinos and Filipino Americans. While it was not an easy read (it’s basically a specialized psychology textbook), hence the 4 rating, the book gave me a new and deeper appreciation for some of my best friends. I recommend it for any person in relationship with a pers ...more
Soleil
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated this book for drawing clear lines between colonial mentality and the many mental health problems that Filipinos and Filipino Americans are likely to experience. I love that it offers practical methods to battle colonial mentality.

The only thing that I was mildly dissatisfied with was that the Japanese colonial period wasn't mentioned at all in the book. But all in all, I think this is essential reading for Filipinos and Filipino Americans, especially Parts 2 and 3.
Morningbr3ath
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So well-written. The Filipinx diaspora is so strong and overwhelming. Authors and scholars such as David help pave a path for generations to start ‘decolonizing’ the Filipinx identity. It’s time to learn our roots and unlearn/ibagsak na yung colonial mentality and American imperialism that was bestowed upon the archipelago.
Bryan Dosono
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read that de-centers Western perspectives in the field of psychology. Dr. David takes us through his personal journey of political awakening and critically analyzes the effects of historical colonialism and contemporary oppression among and within the Filipino diaspora.
Joyce del Rosario
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
David approaches the issues of Filipino/American psychology from a historical, sociological and of course psychological viewpoint. It's a great catalyst for any academic discipline concerning Filipino Americans to consider.
Babyheadache
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book! It opened my eyes to the detrimental effects of colonialism all around the world. It also learned a connectedness with other colonized people.
Antoinette Ranit
Jun 28, 2020
Victoria
Aug 01, 2020
Kent Lao Gomez
Sep 01, 2014
Tim
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2017
Apr 06, 2017
Evert
Apr 07, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Filipino American Psychology: A Handbook of Theory, Research, and Clinical Practice
  • Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen
  • Discourse on Colonialism
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • The Deep
  • Dominicana
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 1
  • Fairest: A Memoir
  • Exciting Times
  • An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (ReVisioning American History, #3)
  • My Time Among the Whites: Notes from an Unfinished Education