Start by marking “Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology” as Want to Read:
Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology

Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology

Filipino Americans have a long and rich history with and within the United States, and they are currently the second largest Asian group in the country. However, very little is known about how their historical and contemporary relationship with America may shape their psychological experiences. The most insidious psychological consequence of their historical and contempora ...more
Published February 20th 2013 by Information Age Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Brown Skin, White Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brown Skin, White Minds

Start your review of Brown Skin, White Minds: Filipino -/ American Postcolonial Psychology
Michael Constantine
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty interesting. The author occasionally makes comparisons to the colonial mentality/internalized oppression felt by Filipinos-/ Americans and African and Native Americans. I'd be interested in hearing that conversation expanded to Indian-/American communities.
Elaine (Leng)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although highly recommended for research on Filipino peoples, I ignored this book for a long time because my interests are on precolonial Philippine society, and not postcolonial. However, I decided to pick up this book because I thought that although my project is on precolonial peoples, my audience is not. It's important for me to know what issues are relevant in today's postcolonial society, so that I can at least be sensitive about it in my project.

This book gave me a lot of reas
Michael Miranda
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. David does an amazing job in illustrating the indigenous psychology movement's efforts to integrate in traditional psychology. His succinct history of the Philippines, causes of colonial mentality, the aftermath, and what academia is doing and can do shows what individuals can do in every day work to address colonial mentality. The epilogues by several academics are also of value.
Soleil
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated this book for drawing clear lines between colonial mentality and the many mental health problems that Filipinos and Filipino Americans are likely to experience. I love that it offers practical methods to battle colonial mentality.

The only thing that I was mildly dissatisfied with was that the Japanese colonial period wasn't mentioned at all in the book. But all in all, I think this is essential reading for Filipinos and Filipino Americans, especially Parts 2 and
Bryan Dosono
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read that de-centers Western perspectives in the field of psychology. Dr. David takes us through his personal journey of political awakening and critically analyzes the effects of historical colonialism and contemporary oppression among and within the Filipino diaspora.
Joyce del Rosario
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
David approaches the issues of Filipino/American psychology from a historical, sociological and of course psychological viewpoint. It's a great catalyst for any academic discipline concerning Filipino Americans to consider.
Babyheadache
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book! It opened my eyes to the detrimental effects of colonialism all around the world. It also learned a connectedness with other colonized people.
Kent Gomez
Sep 01, 2014
Tim
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2017
Samantha
Nov 19, 2017
Danielle Colayco
Dec 30, 2017

• Coming Full Circle: The Process Of Decolonization Among Post 1965 Filipino Americans
  • Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Latinos of Asia: How Filipino Americans Break the Rules of Race
  • The Chestnut Man
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • America Is in the Heart: A Personal History
  • What My Mother and I Don't Talk About: Fifteen Writers Break the Silence
  • Dominicana
  • Men Without Women (Men Without Women, Story 7)
  • Honky
  • Our Town
  • Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
  • A Bright Red Scream: Self-Mutilation and the Language of Pain
  • Our Numbered Days
  • Angelology (Angelology, #1)
  • The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression