Start by marking “Shadowlands” as Want to Read:
Shadowlands

Shadowlands (Shadowlands #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,867 Ratings  ·  774 Reviews
Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived… and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a goodbye.

Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable f
Published January 1st 2013 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about Shadowlands, please sign up.

BookAdopter
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ashley Simms Yes, you won't be able to sleep, at all! Eventually you'll fall asleep with the book open! But maybe not at the beginning of the first book!

karen
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya

so. apparently, when you are being stalked by a relentless serial killer, and have to become part of the witness protection program, this is the procedure: first your house is surrounded by a million cop cars for a little over a week, just to call a whole lot of attention to you and your family, trapping you inside while detectives and fbi people mill all over the place waiting for the killer to strike again so they can hopefully stop him before your blood gets all over the carpet. and when some
Wendy Darling
2.5 stars Great opening chapter, but a plot that quickly devolves into a cable movie of the week thriller with flat characters and an uninspired storyline that primarily involves various uninteresting but "hot" boys. Most of the scenes that were well done felt as though they were lifted from action/suspense films, including two of the biggest twists--one that comes early in the story, and the other at the very end. You aren't given time to process/question that last one, either, since the book e ...more
Giselle
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
I was already a fan of Kate Brian, but I never expected to love this book THIS much. Her Private series is a guilty pleasure of mine. It may not be the next great American novel, but it's a fun "mean-girls" type series with short installments that are filled with scandals, drama, and murder. When I went into Shadowlands, I expected something along the same lines but with a more thriller feel to it. What I got, was a complete mind-shattering plot that made me guess until the end (you have to unde ...more
Nenia *The Flagrant Liberal* Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

SHADOWLANDS is one of those books that has me seriously questioning my taste in fiction, because even though everything about it was pretty poorly done, from the "paranormal" element to the characters to the way law enforcement handled criminal activities, I enjoyed every moment of it, terrible twist and all (seriously, Khanh puts it best in her review, when she says that the author M. Night Shyamalan'd the heck out of the story).

SHADOWLAND
Richard Denney
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy Shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy Shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy Shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy Shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy Shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy Shit. Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit.

THAT ENDING! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?????????????

This felt like some good ol' 90s YA horror. It had the suspense, the mary-jane (which is like the mary-sue except mary-jane has balls and some brain.) and i
Khanh (the meanie)
I don't recall being so pissed off at a book than I have after finishing this one. I apologize in advance for any profanity.

I don't mean the type of anger that comes with a character's actions or as a reaction to an author killing off a beloved character (Or in some cases, half the cast. Did you really have to kill so many? I'm looking at you, J.K. Rowling). I'm talking about a complete and absolute cop out. A plot with so many holes in it, filled with unexplained areas of suspense that kept me
Mitch
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Shadowlands is one of the most difficult books I've ever reviewed because it's not nearly what I thought it'd be from reading the summary. I went into this book with expectations of a standard serial killer thriller plot, and came out with, actually, I don't know how to describe what Shadowlands is without spoiling the ending - a bizarre twisty mindbender? I like it, but in order to fully explain my rating the rest of my review is going to be spoiler heavy, so just know this is *not* a t ...more
Katy
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of potential to be brilliant, but 1) there was a lot that didn't make sense and 2) it was just too frustrating to read. I had a lot of "WTF" moments - some good, some bad.

I wasn't crazy about how the book started because I felt it was a little over the top. (view spoiler) And Rory was just a little too much for me. I understand she's scared and freaked out, but I wanted
Ferdy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

Where to start with this? Okay, well the first chapter was pretty thrilling — the heroine (Rory) is attacked by her teacher on her way home from school and she just about manages to escapes with her life. It got even better when the FBI informed Rory that her teacher was in fact a serial killer that they've been hunting for years and that he wouldn't stop until he killed her. It was exciting and gripping and then things got dumb… Really, really dumb.
Rory, her dad and her older sister ar
Yasmin-Stella
Was soll das für ein Ende sein
Misty
2.5ish territory, but this one has a pretty fluid rating, I think - apt to change depending on my mood.

Okay, Shadowlands...I feel like I would write a different review of this every day of the week. Frankly, I'm really torn, and have even held off giving it a rating on Goodreads.  Here's the thing:
There are going to be people that are so shocked and amazed by the way this ends that they'll love it.
There are going to be people that are so shocked and dismayed by the way this ends that they'll hat
Savannah (Books With Bite)
I had no idea that when I started this book that it would capture me so tightly, that I stayed up close to one in the morning to finish it. I literally could not put the book down and instead, found myself immersed in a world where death lurks around the corner.

Let me be the first to say," BRAVO! Ms. Brian." The plot is what every reader wants. Exciting and thrilling, lots of mystery and psycho killer on the loose. Once I started this book, there was no going back for me. I was hooked and would
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Disney Hyperion for providing me an ARC of this book to read and review. Receiving this book for free in no way has influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Starti
Jon
Seen at Scott Reads It

I have avoided writing this review for a couple of days and I am finally going to review it. For me the most difficult reviews to write are for 5 Star books. I tremendously enjoyed Shadowlands and I doubt any review could do this book justice. There are no spoilers for Shadowlands.

From the first chapter of Shadowlands I was immediately hooked into this intriguing mystery. Kate Brian starts off Shadowlands with a bang. Our protagonist Rory is being attacked by serial kill
Irmak
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okuduğum en anlamsız, en kötü kitaplardan birisiydi. Ve ben daha ne kadar anlamsız olabilir diye kitaba devam ettikçe şaşırdım.
Kitap gayet düzgün bir şekilde bir polisiye olarak başladı.
Rory bir gün eve kestirmeden gitmeye karara verince okuldaki öğretmeni tarafından ormanda saldırıya uğrar. Ve elinden kaçmayı başarır. Ana yola çıkmayı başarıp bir arabaya atladığında ( ki burada komik tesadüfler başlar ) polise haber verirler. Fakat işin içine FBI girer çünkü Rory'nin öğretmeni aslında bir ser
Booknut
Well...I wasn't expecting that!

Kate Brian manages to piece together an intricate tale of obsession, fear and psychosis that straddles the line between reality and the supernatural in a way no other book has done before.

You never know what will happen next.
☕ Kimberly
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not going to lie; I was drawn to Shadowlands because of the beautiful cover. The synopsis led me to believe this would be a thriller, but Kate Brian blew my mind! From page one the author grabbed my attention and held me completely enthralled. My palms were sweating and I stopped frequently to share my thoughts with anyone who would listen. The tale was, dark, suspenseful, brilliantly done with an ending that left me speechless.

From the synopsis we know that Rory Miller, her father and sist
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Oh man. I am so conflicted with this one. I don't know whether I loved it or hated it. So, this review will be a bit different.

First off, why I did not like the book: the ending. Normally, I am a huge fan of plot twists and surprise endings, but this time it did not work for me. I was infuriated when I read the last sentence. Majorly pissed off. Seriously. I felt like I read this whole thing for nothing because the ending did not make sense. I was left with a looooong list of questions. I don'
Kaylee Magic
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
WHAT THE FUDGE???????

Oh my god, of all my whacky guesses, this ending was NOT on my list. Holy shishcabobs. Crapola. Fudgecakes. This book was so damn brilliant that I think it will be super hard to write a review for it, but when one blows my mind like this did, I kind of have to.

Review pending. But in the meantime...

You should buy this.
Jenni Arndt
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-own
You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

I didn't really know what to expect going into Shadowlands; I had never read any of Kate Brian's work and I'm not exactly one for reading blurbs. I was sufficiently blown away as a I dove in and got a much more intense read than I could have ever expected. Rory is shocked and scared when, on her way home from school through the forest, she is attacked by one of the most beloved teachers from her school. Thankfully she escapes and finds her way hom
Meg
Sometimes you read a book and it instantly grabs you. You can't put it down, you're carrying it around with you where ever you are going, and even if you can just get the chance to read s sentence you're excited. For me, this happened with Shadowlands by Kate Brian. Last summer, I heard about this book and recommended it to my sister to read. She loved it, kept going on about how I needed to pick it up and I kept telling her I would. I'm so glad that I finally did.

Shadowlands is about a girl na
Wanda
Wow! Wow! Wow! What an ending!

First word that I can describe ShadowLands is WOW. This book starts off immediately with action. It consumed me or rather I devoured it. But from the very beginning, I was lost in it. But I noticed something wrong right away. And it's not a big deal but in the first few pages, the serial killer described Rory as a beautiful girl with blonde hair. Now, unless the cover isn't Rory, they made a huge booboo there. The girl on the cover has brown hair. I don't know why
Ariel Cummins
This novel has a lot going for it in terms of atmosphere and creepiness. There are plenty of spooky touches and well-done scenes. I appreciate that it's more of a true horror book than a lot of the paranormal romances that have been coming out in the past few years.

The character building, though, isn't great. I swear that the sisters were built from the two daughters in Modern Family: nerdy, slightly awkward sister and beautiful, social sister who deep down want to be good friends. The romance (
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
Title: Shadowlands
Series: Shadowlands #1
Author: Kate Brian
Rating: 4 stars

My Review: I was very surprised to find this series at my library, my small little town doesn't have much of anything that isn't popular so i was very giddy when i found all three sitting on the shelf! :]

First, i of freaking course love the cover! So pretty!

Second, 2 POVs? Yes please :]

Third, that ending?!

This book was so good. It's well written, and the plot was something i haven't read before. For some reason i'm on
Kath S
I didn’t see that coming…

description

I swear, I thought in everything… every possibility: conspiracy, monsters, shadow masters… Every. Effing. Thing… But I really didn’t expect that end!

description

I discover the end of all the books in a ninety nine percent of times… I failed in this one!!!!

description

Right now, I have a lot of questions and I really really NEED to know what the hell is happen!!!!!!!

Good played, Brian!
Galleane
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai passé un bon moment avec ce premier tome étant plus que curieuse de lire la suite, surtout au vu de ce qui survient à la fin. L'auteure est capable de belles surprises et si ce premier tome n'est pas le plus équilibré qu'il soit, on passe d'un événement marquant au début, à plusieurs pages plus tranquilles pour finir sur une révélation finale percutante, il n'empêche qu'il m'a plu et que je signe de suite pour le tome suivant.

Ma chronique complète : http://bloggalleane.blogspot.fr/2016/...
Samantha

I knew it, I knew it, I. KNEW. IT.

While this was an interesting read, it fell a little flat for me. The characters just didn't draw me in as much as they could have, or should have, but the suspense was pretty ok. Just a tad predictable.

I'll still probably read the next one.
Evie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind-fuckery at its best! Creepy, captivating, bone-chilling, and unpredictable, this book is just absolutely phenomenal! Full review soon!
Andrew
I'm not easily shocked, surprised, or heartbroken. But Shadowlands did all those things a little bit at a time, then all at once. You're a real pal, Kate Brian.

⌁⌁

The woods hide all, from a woman sketching a fallen redwood to a family camping underneath dripping pines, the woods hide everything all too well, and they almost hid Rory Miller's brush with a serial killer, and her near murder. While taking a shortcut through the New Jersey woods on her way home, the last thing Rory expected was to be
Nic
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teen Book Break a...: Shadowlands by Kate Brian 2 4 Jul 13, 2015 09:47AM
Wild Things: YA G...: September 2014 Shadowlands by Kate Brian 1 9 Sep 02, 2014 05:57PM
  • Then You Were Gone
  • Hysteria
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Thorn Abbey
  • Cinders & Sapphires (At Somerton, #1)
  • The Ruining
  • The Murmurings
  • Dead River
  • The Last Academy
  • Undercurrent
  • Breaking Glass
  • 17 & Gone
  • Truth or Dare (Truth or Dare, #1)
  • Return to Me
  • Catherine
  • The Wrap-Up List
  • Premeditated
  • The Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Kate Brian is the author of the SHADOWLANDS TRILOGY (SHADOWLANDS, HEREAFTER & ENDLESS), as well as the New York Times bestselling PRIVATE and PRIVILEGE series, and the wildly popular MEGAN MEADE'S GUIDE TO THE MCGOWAN BOYS. She also writes teen fiction under the name Kieran Scott.
More about Kate Brian...

Shadowlands (3 books)
  • Hereafter (Shadowlands, #2)
  • Endless (Shadowlands, #3)