Start by marking “WHEREWOLVES” as Want to Read:
WHEREWOLVES

WHEREWOLVES

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Using a fun, explosive style, full of new slang and fresh dialogue, WHEREWOLVES is the story of a group of high school seniors, most “military brats”, who are headed for an army-type survival weekend.

The underdogs, Jeffrey and Doris, do not want to go as they fear for their safety among the disdain and cruelty of the popular students. Sergeant Tim O’Sullivan, their teacher
Published February 17th 2013

To ask other readers questions about WHEREWOLVES, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WHEREWOLVES

Kathy Cunningham
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
John Vamvas and Olga Montes’s WHEREWOLVES is a horror novel that goes a step beyond the expected. In part, it’s about a group of troubled teens trying to survive an unthinkable horror during a school-sponsored weekend survival trip. But the actual horror here has less to do with the creatures that ruthlessly attack the teens than it does the adults who orchestrated it all – and with their ultimate motives.

WHEREWOLVES begins with a woman running frantically from some sort of creatures. Vamvas and
Somekindofnobody
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book starts off with a pretty decent action scene which gets your attention. The action is described using short bursts of sentences, not long and overburdened with excessive detail. Some people like too much detail but I like a smooth read where I don't need Google translator for the big words (yes I'm literate, but like I said I enjoy fun, smooth reads.)

The dialogue, the important part, is VERY believable and even the characters thoughts come out as believable. By that I mean the dialogue
Laura Thomas
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan of B- movies and this reads like a good one. As I read each scene I easily and gleefully visualized it, every bloody bit of it.

A group of troubled teens are taken into the woods for a survival weekend. The teacher leaves them to fend for themselves. I know. Seen ir or read it before…. you think.

The author brings a lot to the table, introducing you to the characters which consist of the typical jocks, bullies, and geeks. You get to know what drives them, what scares them, before th
John Vamvas
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Got this review on Amazon today:

A HORROR Must Read!!!!! May 24 2013
By Sandy

WHEREWOLVES was an amazing novel that propelled me from page to page. I could not put it down. The characters were extremely well described that you felt you knew each of them personally. The descriptive horror even shocked you while reading. The visuals created in your imagination were terrifying.

Definitely not a children's book. Best for teens and adults. A very easy read lets y
Joyce
Mar 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
1 star

Two not-so-popular high school seniors are forced to go on a camping trip with their fellow classmates. The group leader is ex-military, as are most of the kids – military brats. The leader leaves them alone in the woods to fend for themselves. Whether this is by design or for some other reason is unknown.

The kids soon get into trouble (of course). There is something out there in the woods. It’s tracking them. Classmates soon disappear. They are killed.

This book reminded me of Lord of th
Donato
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wherewolves is a powerful tale of menace and social commentary, with dark humor and clever plotting that keeps the reader knotted in its tight spiral of teen angst mixed with horror film imagery. On the surface it is a teen-in-peril tale, but the writing of the characters, the nature of the peril, and the narrative twists makes it surprising, exciting, and inventive. Characters jump off the page as vivid personifications of troubled teens caught between hormonal change, vice-like parental pressu ...more
Nev Murray
A copy of Wherewolves was sent to Confessions of a Reviewer by the authors John Vamvas and Olga Montes in exchange for an honest review. This is said review.

Again, never heard of John Vamvas or Olga Montes. They took a gamble and sent me a copy of their book for review. I took a gamble and read it. Did the gamble pay off?

A group of high school seniors are on a weekend camping trip organised by their (ex-army) school teacher. They are all kids of military personnel. A lot of them have an unpleasa
Caroline Barker
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The reader is drawn in from the beginning. The first scene is full of fast-paced action and terror as a woman runs for her life, terrified she will get caught and killed by the hairy beasts that are following her through the trees. I love a story that has this much intensity at the start, gripping the reader before they have even begun, and Wherewolves certainly does that!

We are then later introduced to the characters of the class. It is clear early on that Doris and Jeffrey are teased quite a l
Robyn
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Based on the screenplay, WHEREWOLVES, by John Vamvas and Olga Montes this novel kept me on my toes once all the action started - I just couldn't put it down. A group of troubled high school seniors who mainly all come from military backgrounds, along with their teacher, The Sarge, go away on a weekend of survival training and must face their fears. The novel was completely unpredictable - I couldn't believe how it ended, I thought it was something else and I was completely fooled (in a good way) ...more
Olga Montes
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Got this review on Amazon yesterday... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing story telling! May 24, 2013
By Stupid_Hamster

Format:Kindle Edition|Amazon Verified Purchase

I picked up this book this afternoon and I was done with it in the evening. There's been very few books that I could not put down and this is one of them.

It has action, twists and an element of every werewolf story in it. A beautiful homage to all my favorites and the artful pirouette at the end is an elegant twist!

Well done!

Bren
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wherewolves is AWESOME! The writing is outstanding, edgy and modern!
I had to hold my breath, and read faster to keep up with the pace of this thrilling, yet very believable horror story! The writers did an incredible job intertwining the compelling characters, and different levels of social elements and the true horrors of life. With incredible detail and conviction they brought the story to life, I could see it unfold as I read it.
I loved the book…now I can’t wait for the movie!
Critique de Book
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I liked: This is a well written story, with crisp characters and a detailed, satisfying plot. The story moves, and keeps you entertained. It’s both horror and social commentary, and suggests a lot of bigger ideas that are worth contemplating.

What I didn’t like: Way, way too gory for me, and I would never let my teen read it.

In sum: If you like horror and YA, this will satisfy, but don't give it to your kids.
Kathy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great YA read filled with teenaged angst, sexual tension, suspense, thrills, and chills a little for everybody.
For my full review head over to my blog ordinary girlz book reviews http://ordinarygirlzbookreviews.weebl...
Audrey
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finally! A book without a predictable ending. It is fast past, engaging, and thrilling from beginning to end. You won't be able to put it down or guess what will happen next.
C.J. Wright
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The plot is well thought out and fast paced, with many twists and turns that will leave you guessing right up to the last page. Definitely makes me want to see the movie.
Peggy
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book starts off with a young woman running away from creatures, seeking refuge with a truck driver in his cab. And whatever is out there seems to be attacking his cab as well despite him driving fast.

We are than taken back about 2 days or so prior and are introduced to Doris, a High School Student and clearly an oddball, dresses differently and likes werewolves. She does not fit in with the rest of the 'popular crew' at school and gets bullied ruthlessly by the others. Only Jeffrey, a fellow
Rachel Simson
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Title: Wherewolves
Author: John Vamvas and Olga Montes
Publisher: Self Published
Genres: YA, Horror, Thriller.
Release Date: February 17th 2013
Pages: 304
Where Acquired:

Buy at Amazon Here
- Best Book Price: £8.02 Kindle Price: £2.05 (as of when posted)

UK Cover:

Goodreads Description:

The underdo
Amy
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a rush to this story! Ok I’m getting ahead of myself.

A group of trouble teens is dropped off in the woods for a weekend of surviving on their own. While their teacher watches from afar. There is already tension and animosity among the teens, but being away from adults unleashes it all. But as night falls, things start happening. Guns come out, pants drop, and people change. Around the camp fire the teens talk about werewolves and how one of them could be one. Doris and Jeffery the geeks are
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
"But the real monster is within, and when it comes out, it's as fugly as you see it, or as it lets you see it."

It took me a while (probably half the book) to get involved with the "Wherewolves" story. I found the first half disjointed, full of a lot of barely developed characters that hardly held my interest, and a plot line that I needed a GPS to follow.

BUT about midway through the book, everything clicked and I found myself engrossed in this commentary/horror tale. There were plenty of twists
Carol Phillips
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the beginning I thought the characters were a bit cliche. As the story continued I couldn't put it down. I loved the ending. Great book for horror lovers!
Shelley
Oct 11, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: guest
Author's guest post at my blog:
Taylor
Apr 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I got this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. The book is called Wherewolves and it is written by John Vamvas and Olga Montes, it was published on April 26, 2013.

The book starts off with a woman running for her life, and although it catches your attention, everything is confusing. Personally, I thought I had missed the first portion of the book or got an incomplete copy. After that, a lot of the story seems like you were supposed to know a whole backstory about all the charact
Autumn
Apr 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Read for NetGalley.

Do not waste your time or money.
JK
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
When the authors first sent me this novel, I wasn't too excited about it. The title immediately suggests it to be a paranormal horror, and I imagined characters cowering in the dark as a fluffy thing with teeth prowled outside their walls, trying to claw its way in. Wherewolves surprised me, as it's so much more than that, and the fluffy thing with teeth was only a small part of the horrific jigsaw I tried desperately to piece together.

The first 10% of the novel starts off as we'd expect, with a
Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
Let me begin by saying this novel is based on a screenplay. That does come back to haunt the novel. A group of high school students head into the woods for army style survival weekend. We have the very typical cast of high school characters here. The underling beta male and female, an Arab-American complete with identity issues, and the brat pack of popular kids. They trek into the woods under the illusion of bonding and camaraderie. A dark cloud hangs over the event however as reports of a coup ...more
Daniel Smedley
Feb 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wherewolves was apparently adapted from a screenplay. Perhaps the story works on-screen, but ultimately a book must stand on its own merit.

Wherewolves struggles and ultimately fails to break free from the shackles of its screenplay origins. The characters are almost cookie-cutter stock slasher-movie stereotypes, with little fleshed out to expand upon that. They were established just about enough for me to be completely non-invested in what happens to them, even with around half of the book dedic
Daniel
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Two friends, social outcasts, try their best to skip a school camping trip in an effort to distance themselves from the rest of the class. With their teacher and parents demanding they participate, the duo sets out on one hell of a trip.

Originally a screenplay, "Wherewolves" takes the werewolf and tries to insert it into modern culture, but fails miserably(at least as a novel). The cliched characters and the disjointed dialog hamper a decent plot. It was a chore to read due to the characters and
Venture
Jan 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
I tried to get into it but I just couldn't every time I tried. I found the narrative confusing after the first chapter.
Simon
Aug 12, 2013
Sherry Fundin
Nov 07, 2014
John Vamvas grew up in one of Montreal's (Canada) roughest boroughs. His high school teachers always told him that he'd be in jail or dead by eighteen. Thank God for the Arts. Actor, playwright, screenwriter and now novelist, he has been writing with his writing partner/wife, Olga Montes, for over twenty years. He loves words, especially dialogue, and has a lot of fun coming up with new ways to sa ...more
More about John Vamvas
“What is a monster? Something that grows hair all over and howls? Could be. But the real monster is within, and when it comes out, it’s as fugly as you see it, or as it lets you see it.” 4 likes