Start by marking “Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)” as Want to Read:
Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)

Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  11,137 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
Jack and Annie travel back in time to a South American rain forest in search of the elusive magician Morgan le Fay.  Will they find a new clue to her whereabouts before they are trampled by stampeding killer ants?
Published August 29th 1995 by Scholastic (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Afternoon on the Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afternoon on the Amazon

Logan
May 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I said in my review of "Sunset of the Sabertooth" that I loathe these books, so I'm not going to say it again here. Logan actually didn't like this one so much as it fed his already growing fear of dangerous wildlife. And I find that a lackluster story interspersed with a wooden main character reading aloud from a reference book isn't really the way I want Logan to get his facts. In a 67-page story, here is what we got:
--The Amazon rainforest is hot & steamy, has a lot of plants, and is made
Emerald
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
“It spun faster and faster then everything was still. Absolutely still.”
Alex
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when Jack and Annie got to the other side of the Amazon river in the Amazon rainforest. I did not like this book because I do not like crocodiles, jaguars, and monkeys.
Samantha
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
Jack & Annie are still on their quest to find 4 things in order to break the spell that the enchantress Morgan le Fey is under. This time, the object needs to be found in the depths of the Amazon Jungle. Danger lurks around every corner! Jack & Annie encounter Snakes, Marching Army Ants, Jaguars and many other creatures along the way. Will they find the second object? Will anyone help them this time? This book is full of adventure and danger. A msut read for all Magic Tree House readers. ...more
Harley
My six year old daughter loves this series and is reading it aloud to me.
Cesar
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book, “Afternoon in the Amazon” is about a girl and a boy named Annie and Jack. They found a magic house to any where and they decide to go to the Amazon. They travel to the Amazon because they like the animals. When they get there they find a library with a woman inside. Her name is Morgan LaFay. She sends them on a journey to find four items. Throughout their journey they find some of the items. They find a boat and Annie sees a monkey. The monkey throws mangoes at them and follows them. T ...more
Amanda Carpenter
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

With book 5, I started reading them out loud to my dogs. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). This one was way too scary for the one dog I h
Heather
I think this book lends itself well to a unit study of the Amazon. You can use this as a jumping off point to study animals, geography, weather, etc.

My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. Th
Scott Middleton
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-grade-2016
Do you like interesting books? If you do, you should read the series of the Magic Tree House because there are a lot of books in this series.

The main characters are Jack and Annie, but sometimes Peanut is also a main character. In one book, Jack, Annie, and Peanut went to the Amazon rainforest in a boat. A monkey was throwing some things and they thought it was attacking them, but the monkey was just trying to help.

If I was the judge, I would give the series 5 stars because all the interesting
Diane
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
My son is on a re-reading spree. He could read them himself, but he still likes them for bedtime stories. This one is quite harrowing, given that the Amazon rainforest is filled with dangerous animals at every turn. But the kids prevail and find what their looking for, but not without the help of a "native". My son theorizes that the helpers in this mini-series of 4 could be Morgan herself. But I countered with logic (and it actually was acceptable to my son!): if she needed help because she was ...more
Patty
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-chapter
Kiefer Hwasta
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie go back to their mission of saving Morgan le Fay. They travel to the Amazon rainforest to acquire the second object to save Morgan. Jack and Annie faced many threats from carnivorous animals. A monkey gave them the second object and they made it home safely.
I liked it. It teaches about Amazon wildlife, the three layers of the rain forest and about the amazon river. I like how they are in the rain forest, which is very interesting to me.
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any book that gets my third grader's nose glued inside deserves a 5 star review--my daughter LOVES these books! Honestly can't put them down. She and I especially enjoyed this one set in the Amazon jungle.
Courtney Hendrix
This Magic Tree House book is a short one where Jack and Annie end up in a rain forest looking for a special object. They are faced with multiple scary occurrences such as army ants, a monkey throwing fruit at them, piranhas in the water, a large snake, a baby jaguar and her mom, etc. What they don't notice at first is that the monkey is actually their friend and what he's throwing at them is the "special object" they are needing which is the fruit. Once they realize that the fruit is what they ...more
AnthonyStaton
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic-tree-house

Jack and Annie were wondering around in the book of magic which could take them anywhere well they picked the Rain Forest. Well they wondering around in the Amazon River which had crocodiles and a lot more scary predators.

In the afternoon there was crocodiles surrounding them when there was crocodiles all over the place. There were vampire bats and fire ants. They were get worried because mom and dad was probably wondering where they were .

So they ran across the Amazon river on a log like they
Holly
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my 6 year old son. I liked this book better than #5. Basically, I realize that I prefer the books that don't have interactions with people (especially when they speak modern English) because those are just too far-fetched to me. Still, all of the books are definitely appealing to little kids.
Stephanie
I read this with my 4 year old son. I love how these books can be fun stories while also teaching kids and sparking their interest to learn more. Reading this made my son want to learn so much more about the rainforest and led to us doing other learning activities and reading more books about the rainforest.
CaseyKS.
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christy
Its off to rain forest for the two young adventures this time. Jack and Annie encounter a lot of animals and other creatures there. a mango throwing monkey saves them from the Amazon river since they got no paddle. The get their thing a Mango and head home for their next adventure
Heather
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never remember reading this one as a child because I lost interest in reading. However I enjoyed this book and it actually made me laugh as I was reading it. I can’t wait to actually finish all the magic tree house books.
Maria
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, advanture
Jack and Annie looked up the Magic tree house was shining in the afternoon sunlight beside a tall oak tree. The magic tree house take them to the Rain Forest. But It's not long before the got lost in rain forest....
Great adventure of Magic Tree House!!!
David Smither
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent showing from Osborne for K-2 kids. I'll never understand why some adults complain about these books-Kids like reading them, they're fun, and short enough to keep their attention.
Unique feature: A very un-stealthy jaguar
Genre: Fantasy? (Real genre: Magic Tree House)
Emma
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When animals hear a crackling sound, they flee in panic. The sound means that 30 million flesh-eating army ants are marching through the dead leaves.
Tara
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
The plot seemed a little harder to follow in this one but I enjoyed reading about the animals in the rainforest.
Lisa
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one, felt it covered more about where they visited than some of the other books. Interesting to see impulsive Annie afraid of something.
Corrie-Ann
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting adventure! The youngest really enjoyed this one. :)
Keshia
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything about rainforests. They are just so neat!
Katie
Quit running off, Annie! You're going to be eaten by something. Other than that, a delightful romp.
Ava & Sophia
MCC Children's Li...: The Magic Treehouse Series 1 2 Feb 25, 2012 08:28PM
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Stanley and the Magic Lamp (Flat Stanley, #2)
  • Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)