Start by marking “The Education of a WASP” as Want to Read:
The Education of a WASP

The Education of a WASP

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Brimming with honestly and passion, The Education of a WASP chronicles one white woman's discovery of racism in 1960s America. First published in 1970 and highly acclaimed by reviewers, Lois Stalvey's account is as timely now as it was then. Nearly twenty years later, with ugly racial incidents occurring on college campuses, in neighborhoods, and in workplaces everywhere, ...more
Published February 15th 1989 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published June 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Education of a WASP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Education of a WASP

Julie Ricenbaw
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another book I had to read for my multicultural education course through Doane. This book is written by a white women, Louis Stalvey, during the 1960's era. The book consists of a collection of experiences with racism from Louis' point of view. This book helps you evaluate your own prejudices and takes you on a little bit of a self discovery journey. Louis was extremely courageous and stood up for her own beliefs during a time of much hate for black people. She went through difficult ti ...more
Po
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
Had to read this for class, turned out just loving it. Written by a white woman in the 60's-70's, who realizes she has isolated herself from all the racism in the country, so she sets about "educating" herself and her family on the status of race in the USA in the 60's. It's really, really interesting and thought provoking. It's very easy to read.
Diane
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly an eye opener and should be read by any individual curious enough to learn about the nuances of race, especially in the 60s. Now, with racial tensions developing across the American nation thanks to certain political candidates, this book becomes more potent than ever before. Almost 60 years has passed and yet, very little has changed in what we are told to consider a modern civilization.

Lois was raising her WASP family in the early 60s when she received an eye opening experie
Brook Settle
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have had SO many questions. Many of them rolling around in me so deep I could not verbalize them. Some of them made me afraid to verbalize. I was incredibly grateful and feel indebted to this author's biography... in the end, she has become both student and teacher, and in the telling of her own story, answered many of my questions. In a time where many I know are indignant at rioting and still say things like 'get a job' oh so ignorantly, this curious white woman's simple story answers so man ...more
Kailyn
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't say this lightly, but I found this book to be life-changing. Stalvey gives incredible insight that helps you see stereotypes in an entirely different light and aids you in understanding better how and why minorities often can't catch a break. This book could easily increase our potential for compassion and caring feelings for others, and as a result, I strongly encourage everyone to add it to their reading lists.
Stephanie
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: Read it for a race identity paper I had to write for my anit-rac
Eyeopening autobiography of a white women in the 60's who has become close friends with many African American families. This is her story on their stuggle in society through her eyes, with a focus on housing and social segregation in our country providing a great insight into sociatal segragation today.
Danielle
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books that I have ever read. I think that this book should be required reading for everyone.
Jada
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I reread this this summer and it still taught me so much. Maybe I wasn't ready to learn some things earlier. Maybe I should read again... Such an honest book.
Aunty Jean
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most insightful books that I have ever read; this book gets into areas that may make some people uncomfortable about how they perceive things.
J
Jan 14, 2008 marked it as to-read
Just found out this is about Philadelphia!
Rose
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
If you love memoirs and individuals gushing over there feelings then this is the book for you. The book moves slowly. And very little of the information was shocking to me.
Aaron Gupta
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
reading this bookf or school yawn not interstig
Angela
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
December book club selection
Lindsey
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Had to read this for my Racism and Sexism class in college and loved it! Very eye opening and really makes you think about your unknown biases. Highly recommend!
Em
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting read, but I had to read it in such a short amount of time, I really didn't appreciate it.
Heather
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Great conversations about race, privilege, teaching and parenting (although I can't speak to the last one).
Paula Fatura
  • Stories and Prose Poems
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Where Did You Sleep Last Night? A Personal History
  • Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
  • Looking Like the Enemy: My Story of Imprisonment in Japanese American Internment Camps
  • Buried in the Bitter Waters: The Hidden History of Racial Cleansing in America
  • Speaking Treason Fluently: Anti-Racist Reflections From an Angry White Male
  • My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
  • The French Revolution and Human Rights: A Brief Documentary History