Start by marking “Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Pride and Prejudice

Read Book* *Different edition

Pride and Prejudice

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  3,678,299 ratings  ·  90,256 reviews
Alternative covers for this ISBN can be found here and here.

During the decade when Napoleon was transforming Europe, Jane Austen wrote this novel in which the main events are that a man changes his manners and a young lady her mind.

Much has been said of the light and sparkling side of Pride and Prejudice -- the delicious social comedy, the unerring dialogue, the satisfying
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 399 pages
Published 1985 by Penguin Books (first published January 28th 1813)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Prejudice, please sign up.
Thomas Do you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most eReader…moreDo you have a phone, Kindle, tablet, or anything that can read eBooks? I would recommend reading Pride and Prejudice as an eBook, because most eReaders/eReader apps come with an inbuilt dictionary. I think that being able to look up words and phrases immediately helped me to enjoy Pride and Prejudice and understand it well, unlike most of my classmates, who ended up hating it because they were frustrated with the writing. I'm 14 years old and I read it this year so age shouldn't be a problem.

As weird as this method sounds, it really worked and for me, has made reading classics fun rather than a chore. Pride and Prejudice is (legally) free to download as an eBook, so why not give it a try?

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you enjoy Pride and Prejudice; it's such a great book :)(less)

·  3,678,299 ratings  ·  90,256 reviews

Start your review of Pride and Prejudice
Tharindu Dissanayake
"I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."

Some of my happiest, and most looked-forward-to days of the year are the ones that I reserve for the re-reading of Pride and Prejudice. To quote Austen herself from Sense and Sensibility: ‘if a book is well written, I always find it too short,’ explains perfectly how I feel about this book; no wonder she called this ‘my own darling child,’ for, for me, P&P is perfect in ever
Miranda Reads
description
Old books get a bad rap...but do they deserve it? Check out my latest BooktTube Video - all about the fabulous (and not so fabulous) Olde Boies.

The Written Review :

To summarize: Mister. Darcy.

*cue the long, sustained high-pitched squealing *

This was truly as glorious as I remember. Every time I reread this novel, I love it more.
description
The romance , the high society , the witty banter. Gah. I just adore it all.
"And your defect is to hate everybody."

"And yours," he r
Stephen
6.0 stars. Confession...this book gave me an earth-shattering Janeaustegasm and I am feeling a bit spent and vulnerable at the moment, so please bear with me. You see, I decided I wanted to get more literated by reading the "classicals" in between my steady flow of science fiction, mystery and horror. The question was where to begin.

After sherlocking through my Easton Press collection, I started by pulling out my Dickens and reading A Tale of Two Cities which I thought was jaw-dropping AMAZO and
emma
I am so unqualified to write about this book.

I am physically unqualified, because I could write infinite words about how much I love this book, and I type in a weird way that makes my wrists hurt so infinity is simply not going to happen.

I am emotionally unqualified, because I lack emotional intelligence when it comes to my own feelings and the idea of trying to explain how I feel about this book is overwhelming.

I am spiritually unqualified, because of the aforementioned overwhelmed-ness.

I am al
Rolls
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is unafraid to be seen reading this on the subway
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen started off annoying me and ended up enchanting me. Up until about page one hundred I found this book vexing, frivolous and down right tedious. I now count myself as a convert to the Austen cult.

I must confess I have been known to express an antipathy for anything written or set before 1900. I just cannot get down with corsets, outdoor plumbing and buggy rides. Whenever someone dips a quill into an inkwell my eyes glaze over. This is a shortcoming I readily
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mindless Austen-adoring idiots.
NOTE: The review you are about to read was written in 2009. 2009! That's over 10 years ago! I was 17 and thought I was the smartest person ever! In all honesty, I barely remember this book. So, negative comments regarding my intelligence are no longer necessary. They will be ignored. As they have been for probably 7 years now. CARRY ON!

P.S. Can we all just LOL at my use of the words "mind-numbing balls"?? HA.

This book is quite possibly the most insipid novel I have ever read in my life. Why thi
MacK
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where my massive crush on Jane Austen began: alone, on a hot day in Montana, cursing her name.

I had to read it for AP English and I could not see the point. Girls need to marry. Girls can't get married. Girls are sad. Girls get married. Girls are happy.

I went to school to half heartedly discuss it and waffled and wavered in an effort to please my teacher. Finally she said: "was it good or not, Ben?"

"No it wasn't."

"Thank you...now read this twenty pages of literary criticism for homework."

Twenty
Troy
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was forced to read this by my future wife.
I was not, however, forced to give it 5 stars.
Zoë
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS MY JAM. JANE AUSTEN IS MY JAM. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT HER AND THIS BOOK. READ THIS BOOK. THAT IS ALL.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I finally did it!!!! And I loved it!!!!
NickReads
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Austen was a brilliant writer.

This story is timeless.

Simply beautiful.
Richard Derus
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Well-loathed books I've re-read

Rating: 4 very annoyed, crow-feathered stars out of five

The Book Report: No. Seriously. If your first language isn't English, or if you're like nine years old, you might not know the story. Note use of conditional.

My Review: All right. All right, dammit! I re-read the bloody thing. I gave it two stars before. I was wrong-headed and obtuse and testosterone poisoned. I refuse to give it five stars, though. Look, I've admitted I was wrong about how beautiful the wr
Anne
Mr. Darcy...
*swoons*

description

First, we need to clear something up. Colin Firth is the only Mr. Darcy.
That other Mr. Darcy was horrible! No, no, no, no, nooooo!
Make it stop. Make. It. Stop.

description

So, quite obviously, the BBC miniseries (in all its 327 minute glory) is the only version that is acceptable. The other movie was such a travesty to this book, that I wept big, fat, angry tears...like the spoiled brat that I am.
Or maybe I'm exaggerating slightly.
What were they thinking?! You don't mess with perfecti
Anne
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mainly women
Critics who consider Austen's works trivial because of their rigid, upper-class setting, wealthy characters, domestic, mannered plots and happy endings are almost totally disconnected from reality, as far as I can tell. What can they possibly expect an upper-middle class English woman to write about in 1813 but what she knows or can imagine? Sci-fi? A history of the American Revolution? A real-life exposé of underage exploitation in the garment district of London? Come on. What other setting can ...more
♛ may
can you believe elizabeth and darcy invented the 'enemies to lovers' trope and have been the most iconic power couple to exist ever since
Ahmad Sharabiani
(Book 938 from 1001 Books) - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice is a romantic novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1813.

The story charts the emotional development of the protagonist, Elizabeth Bennet, who learns the error of making hasty judgments and comes to appreciate the difference between the superficial and the essential.

عنوان: غرور و تعصب - جین اوستین (نشر نی، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر، زرین) ادبیات انگلستان؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1974میلادی

عنوان: غرور و تعصب؛ اثر: جین او
Katie Lumsden
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always an utter delight.
Sean Barrs
Society, with all its restrictive constructs, is one nasty piece of work.

It comes with so many silly rules, so many silly expectations. Those of social station and wealth must be seen to marry someone of the same “worth” regardless of the feelings involved; they must be seen to marry someone on their level of class structure. But what of love? What of passion? Should it be quenched because of these all-encompassing silly constructs?

Austen doesn’t think so.

Enter Darcy, a man who is royally pis
karen
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like their pride and prejudice without zombies
Recommended to karen by: the whole world
it is official: now everyone on the planet has read this book. i was the last holdout, and being the last person (excluding those who are just being born...... now) i am sorry i didn't like it more. i knew going into it that i was not a jane austen girl; i had read two others and thought them bloodless and mercantile. but everyone said to me, "well, you haven't read pride and prejudice is why you don't like her." which i thought might be valid. but it's not. because i still don't care. this is n ...more
Peter Meredith
18 chapters in... I want that to sink in for a moment... ok. 18 chapters in and NOTHING has happened. I am enjoying her writing style very much, but I also enjoy the back of an occasional cereal box so that may not mean much. We will see.
I am sitting here eating a tootsie roll, a Halloween left over, and I can't help notice the similarities between it and the novel Pride and Prejudice. First off, like P and P, the tootsie roll wasn't one of those dinky ones that you can almost swallow in a singl
✨ A ✨
I don't think I will ever be able to properly explain my obsession with this book.

Everytime I read Pride and Prejudice (though it’s been many years since I’ve done a reread) I find something else to love about it.

Jane Austen renders a beautiful display of English country life in the early 1800s and the complexity of ordinary people — all their vanities, their flaws and their quirks.

The writing is lush and descriptive with a slow melting pace filled with subtle humour, sarcasm and witty banter.

Merphy Napier
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread rereview! https://youtu.be/PHB3enlOORc

I didn't expect to love this at all. I'm actually shocked at the complexity of this story and the depth of these characters. I'm late in writing this review but you can expect an update on it soon because I've already started my reread <3
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Often imitated, never matched. Nobody can do it quite like Jane Austen.
description
True story: I was rummaging through and throwing away lots of my old papers and souvenirs a few weeks ago and happened to run across my 30+ year old notes from a college course where we studied Pride and Prejudice. I can't believe I still had them! Some of those P&P notes were actually pretty insightful, so in this review I've included some of the more interesting observations from my long-ago class. Hope you enjoy! (ETA: Now
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another flashback Saturday, I chose to reread one of the best classics and my favorite Jane Austen novel. ( and finally this is also last day of mercury retrograde)

This year I may have read at least five different retelling versions of the same book and I didn’t enjoy any of them so I decided to go back and refresh my memories( of course I can rewatch the adapted series and sigh when I see Colin Firth’s charming face on the screen which I did it at least 7 times) but now I’m listening the audio
Henry Avila
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen's most famous novel, the story of a man with five unmarried but attractive daughters, from the oldest to youngest Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Catherine and Lydia 15, in Regency England, during the unending Napoleonic Wars. When Mr. Bennet is no longer breathing, his beautiful house will be inherited by a distant cousin, in both miles and blood Mr. Collins, they have never seen (women during that era, loss their property to the nearest male relative in such circumstance ...more
daph pink ♡
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are not Elizabeth Bennet or Fitzwilliam Darcy I am not gonna marry you. Period!!
Sherwood Smith
Some years back in one of my APAs, someone castigated Jane Austen's books like this: "All those daft twits rabbiting on about clothes and boyfriends and manners."

Since then, I’ve encountered other variations on the theme that a modern woman ought not to be reading such trash because it sets feminism back two centuries.

Well, much as I laughed over the first caveat, that isn't Austen. It sounds more like the silver fork romances inspired by Georgette Heyer. Austen's characters don't talk about clo
Matthew
Eh, just okay. Basically a character study of 19th century England, society, courtship, etc. Nothing all that mind blowing or enthralling happens. In fact, not much really happens at all.

I know some out there love this one, but it wasn't really for me. To tell you the truth, I read this because I have Pride & Prejudice & Zombies sitting on my shelf ready to go, but I figured it would be best if I familiarized myself with the source material first.
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
If you want to read one of the best books ever written, please don't think twice. Just grab a copy of this book and get yourself imbibed into this evocative story that right away establishes an emotional connection with us.
“There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.”
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

★ I am not the biggest fan of classics, I just find the language weird and hard to access. In the normal situation I would have avoided this book but many of my female friends recommended it highly and I wanted to know why, I absolutely know why now, the book was great but my problem is just with the

• Jane Eyre
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Little Women
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • 1984
  • Animal Farm
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
  • The Diary of a Young Girl
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • The Little Prince
See top shelves…
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.
Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentr

Articles featuring this book

In 2018, young debut author Rebecca F. Kuang earned immediate critical and commercial success with the publication of The Poppy War, a grim and...
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 19439 likes
“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” 17444 likes