Start by marking “Uncle Wiggily's Story Book” as Want to Read:
Uncle Wiggily's Story Book

Uncle Wiggily's Story Book (Uncle Wiggily)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  867 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Uncle Wiggily is one of the most popular and enduring characters in American literature. A cheerful “bunny rabbit gentleman” with a wonderful knack for setting things right, he has been a reassuring friend to millions of children since early in the century. Uncle Wiggily’s amusing stories speak to readers about familiar experiences, and feature a lively cast of children an ...more
Published January 12th 1987 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Wiggily's Story Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Wiggily's Story Book

Stephanie
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
Shelves: homeschool
This is a wonderful collection of stories that all children should read. The quality of writing, style, and ideas can help educate children in appreciating fine literature and language. We started reading this book at an early age of four and within several stories my son had fallen in love with the book. He wants to re-read it as often as he can. This is a keeper for our family.
Jill
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I have very fond memories of sitting on the couch, freshly scrubbed and in my pjs, cuddled up to my mom while she read me wonderful stories of Uncle Wiggily's adventures.
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this hoping to find some good material here for my story times at work. No luck. It was written in 1921 and you can really tell how dated it is! Uncle Wiggily is perfect and every little girl or boy he interacts with does exactly as he hopes they will do and every problem is quickly and easily solved. Uncle Wiggily makes the generalization (even states it outright) that all girls are good and only some boys are bad. But, of course, if you treat those boys nicely they will immediately chan ...more
Lora
A great book of Uncle Wiggly stories. My mother grew up on these, somehow I never heard of them, and then she gave us some Wiggly books for our kids. They were a big hit. Ended up having them on audio as well as in book form. The kids just could not get enough of these gentle tales of a gentleman rabbit and the average problems in a world of talking animals.
Kerstin Olcott
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, reviewed
This is the first long novel I have ever read to my children. I was afraid they would be bored with so few pictures (and only black and white sketches) to look at but I was pleasantly surprised. They sat in absolute awe of the animal adventures. They talk about Uncle Wigggily frequently. We will definitely be reading many long books together in the future.
Shelley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
As I read this book, I was reminded of the Thornton burgess animal stories books. It has a very similar feel and is full of good moral stories and simple short stories kids can relate to this… Such as losing a tooth or going sledding or having Thanksgiving. But this authors style is a little bit more silly and nonsensical at times to make sure the moral stories aren't too heavy. My kids like that each story ends with the silly nonsensical paragraph that leads into the next story.

Great for my six
Lydia
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Every night my dad reads me a bed time story well used to and this was my favorite!
One night i said to my dad, "Dad maybe we should try reading the whole thing!" and he said yes so he did!
Cherie Loar
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found this at a use library book sale. We loved it. So fun and funny. Caleb has asked for a second reading of it.
Anne
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's old fashioned and quirky and kind of formulaic-- but my kids LOVE it.
Heather
We were reading a chapter a day, and every was loving it....saying it was so funny and such. Then last week the two older boys (ages 11 and 10) said they felt it was too "baby" and could we PLEASE stop reading it. The younger two (ages 7 and 5) won't hear of stopping the book so we are now having Uncle Wiggily Wednesday and will read one chapter each Wednesday.

The stories are quaint, with a moral lesson. They do start sounding the same after a bit so it's probably a good idea to spread them out
Nichole
My son and I read this as a part of Sonlight's P4/5 curriculum. This ended up being my son's favorite book that we read this school year. As soon as we finished it, he asked for a new Uncle Wiggily book. I'm hoping I will be able to track one down to read over the summer with him. I was pleasantly surprised with how much he enjoyed this since the stories are very antiquated, slow (for a preschooler), and there is only one illustration per chapter. Some of the language is very outdated, but my so ...more
Natalie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this out loud to my 7-year-old and he LOVED it. I found myself editing at times as I read. There's some pretty hefty sexism from time to time - like assuming all girls will be good to animals but some boys are bad boys who are mean to animals.

I remember enjoying this a lot as a kid and it was fun to see him enjoy it so much.

The only other issue is that it's not really great for reading out loud. There are lots of REALLY long sentences. There were plenty of times where I had to read it so
Victoria
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
I started to read this book to the boys at the start of the summer. They have an Uncle Wiggly counting game that they enjoyed playing for a couple of years, and when I realized there was a whole large book filled with stories about Uncle Wiggly, I had to get it for them! They laughed so much while I read this to them. It is about the adventures of a rabbit gentleman who tries to help animals and children. This was nearly 300 pages (a larger book too), but was so great to read chapter by chapter! ...more
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonlight-p4-5
A wonderful adventure book. Chapters are a little bit longer, so it is a good test to see if your children are ready to listen longer. Uncle Wiggily is always willing to lend a helping hand. My daughter remembered it from when we read it two years ago and would often join in to listen. I wasn't sure my son really liked this book, but when we read the last chapter he said "Let's read it again!".
Ginelle
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember my mother reading this to my brother and I as children. It's full of entertaining little tales of Uncle Wiggily, his rheumatism cane, and all the little forest folk. I'm definitely planning on getting a copy to read to my children.
Lindsay Pate
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time childhood favorites. My daughter will grow up with my old copy of this book!
Corie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-2013, 2013
My children LOVED these stories.
Jessica
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My parents used to read Uncle Wiggily to me every night and this wonderful children's series is still one of my favorites.
Trevor
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My mom read me this book when I was growing up. Recently, I received it as a gift and have read a few of the stories. It is a wonderful children's book - but definitely from a different era.
Alysha Gaskins
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
It put kids right to sleep for nap. Very old, and doesn't necessary go with today's society.
Dawn
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
My four year old son enjoyed listening to the stories. They were good for stretching his attention span.
Kirsten Kinnell
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
evie loved this odd little book.
Rachel
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny stories about a whimsical bunny. This was a favorite this year. We read it as part of Sonlight p4/5 , but the whole family loved to listen in!
Shannon
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun stories! My children were greatly entertained by them all.
Harry
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read to your kids! Short self-contained chapters that each tell a little adventure with a little character forming thrown in.
Tia
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I thought this book was SO BORING. It was an absolute chore to read it aloud to my kids. But when I finished it, they told me it was their favorite!
David
Dec 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young kids
Shelves: fiction, howard-garis
This has been a nighttime staple for the last six weeks or so. There is a lot of humor that tickles young kids.
Cws
Dec 04, 2012
Anita
Aug 08, 2012
  • Stories from Around the World
  • The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book: World Folk Tales Especially for Reading Aloud
  • Things People Do
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • Why Do Tigers Have Stripes? (Usborne Starting Point Science)
  • What's Under The Sea? (Usborne Starting Point Science)
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Eric Carle's Animals Animals
  • People
  • Children's Book of Virtues
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
Howard Roger Garis graduated from Binghamton High School and attended Stevens Institute of Technology at Hoboken, New Jersey. From 1896 to 1947, Mr. Garis was a reporter and special writer for the Newark, New Jersey "Evening News." His Uncle Wiggily stories first appeared in the "News" in 1910, were sydicated in 1915, and continued to be published for more than forty years, at one time appearing i ...more
More about Howard R. Garis

Uncle Wiggily (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Uncle Wiggily's Adventures

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Uncertain Season
  • The Odyssey
  • And After the Fire
    $11.49 $1.99
  • The House of Impossible Beauties
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Unsaid
  • The Wake Up
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House