Start by marking “Hogwarts, Narnia, and Middle Earth: Places Upon a Time” as Want to Read:
Hogwarts, Narnia, and Middle Earth: Places Upon a Time

Hogwarts, Narnia, and Middle Earth: Places Upon a Time

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This little book is a think-piece for adult readers who grew up with (or have been captured by) the fantasy worlds of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and J. K. Rowling. Rob Smith points out general themes in the work of these three authors and matches them to the ancient motifs of the biblical writings. The result is a discussion about the way in which we look at time, place, ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Drinian Press

To ask other readers questions about Hogwarts, Narnia, and Middle Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hogwarts, Narnia, and Middle Earth

Silvana
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Tolkien, Lewis and Rowling fans
This book is beyond my expectation. I’m not the type of reader who enthusiastically/meticulously read the previous reviews, not only because I’m afraid of spoilers, but also because I want to form my opinion from nil, unbiased and uninfluenced by others. Besides, the title is enough to attract my attention.

At first, I thought this book will only provide comparison between those remarkable fantasy realms with occasional biblical reference. However, the narrative, arguments and analysis are fairly
Kevis Hendrickson
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the first book I ever purchased from Amazon. When I first received it, I was skeptical about the quality of the book since there weren't any illustrations or charts which you normally expect from a reference guide. In fact, that is the only real complaint I have about this book.

Even so, Hogwarts, Narnia, and Middle-Earth: Places Upon A Time is a very insightful book written by an author who has spent the better part of his life studying religion. In fact, the premise of the book seems t
Bcoghill Coghill
Christian view of the three fantasy series from a perspective that I understand. As opposed to those scary people who think that Christians cannot tolerate these books.
A minor part of the book explains that the bans against witches, magic and sorcery should be understood in the context of the languages and times they were written.
The author is, I think, ordained in some denomination or another.
Nancy Brady
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book explores the thematic links between these three authors (Rowling, Tolkien, and Lewis).Using examples from each book, the author discusses the different themes including time and magic in each series. Reading and re-reading it gives me a great deal to think about...okay, at times, it makes my head hurt, but in a good way! Not only that, it makes me want to go back and re-read the original series, which is always a better thing! It is literary criticism at its best.
Janie
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This book isn't for everyone, but its very handy for people in my line of work. The book will function well as a sermon help or a group study in a church. It was basically an easy-to-read scholarly paper written by a former college professor. I enjoyed the parallels between the three worlds of Narnia, Middle Earth, and Hogwarts and the affirmation my spirit received in all of the rich deeper meaning in all of these collective works. I found this to be a quick read.
Kaitlin
Not for people who don't believe that the Bible is straight fact and that "science is an invention." I will try not to be grumpy and just say that I won't give this a poor rating because it says in the description and on the back cover that the author is a minister, which I think makes its audience clear enough that it was unfair for me to expect something else.
Amy Rose
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Won this from Goodreads giveaways.

I found the way Rob Smith compared the four books interesing.
Caroline Logsdail
Jan 03, 2015
michael f bocchinfuso
Apr 11, 2017
Rhéa Hleihel
rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2016
Mar 28, 2016
Rebekah Choat
Oct 16, 2014
Rob Smith
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Denise
  • Mortal Choices
  • The Watch That Could Do Anything
  • Ante's Inferno
  • Color Your Mind: Psychic Development Coloring Book For Adults
  • Sleep 101: The Beginner's Guide to Unraveling the Mysteries of Life's Forgotten Third
  • The Fiction Writer's Handbook
  • City Chronicles: A Little Bit of Italy
  • The First Adman: Thomas Bish and the Birth of Modern Advertising
  • The Memoirs of Field Marshal Montgomery: Of Alamein, K.G.
  • Photography: A Very Short Introduction
  • Astrobiology: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Wood Sprite's Tale
  • Roman Britain: A Very Short Introduction
  • Madness: A Very Short Introduction
Rob Smith lives and writes on Ohio's north coast. He enjoys sailing, and when not working on his novels, he is refurbishing an 1850’s house which was built by a ship’s carpenter turned lighthouse keeper. In addition to his prose, he is also known for his poetry. In 2006 he won the Robert Frost Poetry Award from the Frost Foundation in Lawrence, MA. He holds an undergraduate degree from Westminster ...more
More about Rob Smith...