Start by marking “Add-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life: Strategies That Work from a Professional Organizer and a Renowned Add Clinician” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Add-Friendly Ways to O...

Judith Kolberg

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,198 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Over 100,000 Copies Sold!

Organizing books fall short of addressing the unique needs of adults with ADD. They fail to understand the clinical picture of ADD and how it impacts the organizing process often making their advice irrelevant or frustrating when put into application. Books about ADD may address organization/disorganization but do so in a cursory fashion and on a v
Published January 1st 2012 by Routledge (first published August 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Add-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Add-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life

Leslie
This remains a slow read, though it isn't the book's fault. The shock of recognition that comes every few pages elicits an emotional response from me, and then I need to put the book down for a few days and read something else.

Update: I seem to have lost the book. And honestly? I think that it's the book's fault. Given the subject matter, there should be a chapter that deals with what to do in this eventuality.

Update the Second: It may be permanently shelved, as just too deflating. Lots of vari
Marley
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some good ideas and helpful suggestions. The authors clearly understand their subject matter. That's why I didn't rate it any lower. However, I am very glad this was not the first book I read on the topic or I think I would be in a state of despair now. The two authors are a counselor and professional organizer. They are not only of the opinion that such services are the best way for someone with ADD to succeed (and they're probably right there), but that such services are the only ...more
Kerry-Anne Gilowey
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
At last, a book that actually demonstrates an understanding of the ADD brain, and gets why normal organising methods just don't work for us. I felt like it was written for me. Uh, probably because it was.

Even the typography and layout is ADD-friendly. It's one of the few books I haven't struggled to stick with - it has large typefaces, clear headings, short sections, and lots of graphical elements. I wish all books looked like this.

I had one lightbulb moment after another while I was reading it.
Rachel
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with ADHD
Oddly, I feel the LEAST EFFECTIVE PAGES in this book are in the Foreward, the Preface, the Acknowledgements, and Chapters 1, 2, and 3!!!

Oh, woe to anyone who picks up this book and starts reading from the very beginning!

Thank goodness I didn't do that, or I would have given up and thought the book was just a bunch of platitudes and generalized advice.

Luckily, when I received my copy of this in the mail, I was in the middle of reading another book. So I started this book without intending to star
gina
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, audiobook
This book covers a lot of ground I already knew, but it's very comforting to hear other peoples struggles (way worse than our households!) with keeping on top of things with ADD. There is some good advice in there, and as with any self help book there is some crazy stuff that I thought "who would do that?" but you know, maybe someone else would think that idea was the best!

I...................... do..... have........... to ........... say that ..... the .... narrator............. is un... belie
Storydrinker
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally started somewhere in the middle of the book when I picked it up off the floor and one of the headings caught my eye. Then I went in bits and started to clean as reading the tips triggered a sorting mood. The ones I couldn't work on but look good, I dog-eared the summary pages for later. I also dog-eared the ones that I started, so I have something to remind me that I started to implement whatever and might want to check how that's going.

It is a lot to take in. I definitely recommend st
David Glad
Dec 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wont-read-again
Got a hold of this audiobook some time back and figured might as well give a listen.

The way everything is presented just seems as if someone were to give you this, they are probably insulting you or your intelligence. The people featured in the book (first name only, of course) sound fictional and probably are exaggerated composites of people the author knows. The way they are described makes them sound like children who never learned even the most basic discipline, the terminology author uses (
Emily
Full disclosure: I don't have ADD, but NLD (nonverbal learning disorder). Different name, but I tend to share a lot of ADD traits: Poor executive function, easily distracted, difficulty prioritizing, etc. With me, if it's not written down, it's like it doesn't exist--I'm that person with post-its stuck everywhere. I thought this book was a good overview and I felt like the authors "got me" better than a lot of other organizational experts do. That said, if you've already spent some time seeking ...more
Pharrisbrown
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

I recommend this book to almost all of my clients with ADD and even to some who don't but could really use a good book in helping reorganize many aspects of their lives.

How do I love thee?
-Organized in an easy to read format. It acknowledges and accounts for the short attention span and is set up to help keep your attention.
-Summary at the end of each chapter.
-Suggestions in each chapter about improving the selected issue separating the options by th
Tope
Great explanations from real life examples of how ADD/ADHD makes organization and decision-making difficult, and lots of practical tips for managing and working with ADD/ADHD traits to form new habits. I particularly like how the book is laid out to be friendly to the attention challenged reader - concepts and tips are presented in short, telegraphed, and easily digestible sections, and the key points of each chapter are repeated in different ways so they aren't lost. Clearly written and a very ...more
MissJessie
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: organizationally challenged individuals
Recommended to MissJessie by: Good Reads
I am not ADD but am organizationally frustrated and often can't seem to get it all together in the the life-organization area.

This book has some very helpful ideas to help the organizationally challenged. Much of it is material you have heard before, but the suggestions regarding breaking tasks down into manageable steps were very helpful to me. Also the recommendations regarding the visual cues to tasks (which I had been using in a similar way already) were very helpful.

The book had more space
Emily
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: add
This book is full of fantastic ways to organize your life, particularly if you have ADD. People with ADD often have to use coaches to help get them on track. While I'll almost certainly need a coach in the future, this book helped me organize my life in meaningful ways:
*Banish bureaus. I use a large clothing rack so I can easily see what clothes I have AND they stay ironed.
*Give-away-bag. Use a plastic trash bag to organize clothes you want to give away. Leave them there for 3 months. If you hav
Carolynn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: organizing, add
All of my life I've tried to "get organized." About 15 years ago I found out I had ADD and began to read about dealing with it. This is one of the few books that introduce solutions that ACTUALLY WORK FOR ME. If you or someone you love has ADD, this book might give the help needed to make daily life easier. Give it a try!
Beth
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: add-adhd
I had this book in my bag when I was in an ADD support group, and the topic was procrastination. Everyone kept saying, "But how do I do this?! What about this?!" And I pulled out the book and said, "This book totally addresses this and has lots of great ideas." Of course there was the usual response of "But I don't read books!" and someone else suggested the Audiobook. Well, if there's anything I gathered from the other reviews of this book -- DO NOT GET THE AUDIOBOOK.

The print book has -- big
Heather
A friend who describes himself as ADD recently asked me to help him with a day of housecleaning. I didn't understand how ADD impacted the task, and because I didn't want to ruin the relationship I asked to borrow this book to help me out. After all, I didn't want to accidentally say the wrong thing as I've done in the past with others...! Over the past five years I've also been a fairly avid reader of books on organization, purging, minimalism, hoarding, and the psychology of stuff—I was eager t ...more
Annette
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with adhd
Recommended to Annette by: Denni, Stephanie H.
I absolutely LOVE this book!!! I feel like this book was written especially for me. Here are three reasons why I love this book: 1)the large print, 2) short chapters, 3) cute graphics. The best part is, the strategies in this book really work! I have implemented a lot of the ideas in this book and I feel less stressed, less overwhelmed, and more in control of my life!
This is another one of those books that I checked out from the library and then after I read a few chapters I was frustrated that
Ariane
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has even WONDERED if they have ADD
I had scoured over a dozen ADD books at the library, took 2 home and this was the best. Easy to read, great techniques and tips. Simple explanations about what kinds of thinking will work well for ADD. Don't know if I have ADD, but enough similarities that made me instantly bond with the reasoning in the book. For anyone who feels like they can never get anything finished, has a multitude of ongoing projects, can't get ahold of daily living tasks, watches too much TV, reads to escape, and food a ...more
Teresa
I am so-o not into labels and the alphabet soup ad nauseam of psycho-babble … However, I am into solution-minded techniques. Thus, I first acquainted myself with this book by checking it out from my local library. After it sat on my desk (and became overdue — oh, the irony!) I started reading it; and decided that to gleen the most knowledge, I would have to purchase my own copy. It is worth every penny! ;-)

More ...
Beth A.
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adhd
This book is very basic and easy to read. Kolberg and Nadeau show a clear understanding of typical ADD behaviors and the problems they lead to in daily life. They present a variety of realistic, concrete suggestions for getting more organized. I preferred the ideas I could do myself; chances that I'm going to hire a professional organizer are zilch.

This book is only for you if you are highly distractible and extremely unorganized. But if you are, it's a must.
Erin Lyndal
I felt like this book was over-hyped a bit, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have good ideas in it. A lot of this hit home for me, such as the tendency of people with ADD to over-commit, not open mail promptly, stay cluttered, etc. When I remember to implement some of these tips, they can be quite helpful.
Teju
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I literally have to play the game they suggest to get to work on time. It really works, people are shocked to see me there before the bell rings.

I love this book because I feel like I make sense now and am not quite as weird.
Mattéa
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book offers insightful and ingenious organizational advice useful not only for individuals living with ADD but to everyone. A valuable resource.
Jeremy
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly bad. There are many other, much better, ADD/organization books out there. This one relies a lot on really long "case studies" that don't go anywhere useful, and then it gives you some simple tips that may or may not be decent for the issue, and after that it spends 3-5 more pages each time telling you to get a professional organizer, recruit friends and family to help you, and similar. Basically this was a waste of money.
Jen Bassett
Print copy may be a better option and for use as reference, I like other reviewers found the narrator voice annoying and some of the chapters not applicable to my specific issues. I also agree I wanted to yell at the voice that not everyone has a cooperative or financial avenue to employ some of the strategies.
Audrey
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very practical book for working WITH your ADHD instead of against it. If you have despaired of ever getting yourself organized as an adult with ADHD, this book is for you. Short, actionable chapters that are full of realistic ideas for people who struggle with organizing paper, time, and life in general.
Oscar
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked her playful approach and the organization in levels of support, but I don't want to give the book away...
Definitely a helpful reasource even if you do not have ADD but need to get yourself or help others get organized...
Evelyn
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of this guide is familiar territory to anyone who has considered organization tactics, but I still found reading it a very useful way to regroup. The text and examples are clear. I read it over several weeks so that I could absorb the authors' approach better.
Francesca Valle
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid suggestions. Quick read.
Sara
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 2002. Could use an update, yet still useful.
Cathy Allen
For people with ADD, trying harder to do what others do easily is just not a workable strategy. If it was, I would have never run up debt or ruined my credit rating. I would have just paid my bills on time like most people do. But I didn't - I couldn't. Month after month for 20 years I promised myself I would do better next time as I reviewed and paid bills a day or two late, cringed at the huge interest rates, and then packed it all away again for another month. I. Just. Could. Not. Do. Bills. ...more
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms,  Post-its
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults
  • It's Hard to Make a Difference When You Can't Find Your Keys: The Seven-Step Path to Becoming Truly Organized
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with Ad/HD
  • Your Life Can Be Better, Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD
  • Organizing Plain & Simple: A Ready Reference Guide with Hundreds of Solutions to Your Everyday Clutter Challenges

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Use Your Stimulation Hunger for Career Advancement Jerry’s need for stimulation, especially in the morning, had led to problems in meeting daily responsibilities. Even at work, Jerry had frequently resorted to surfing the Internet or playing computer games surreptitiously when he became bored with his routine accounting work. A plan that required Jerry to ignore his stimulation hunger could never have worked for long. Instead, Jerry and his therapist developed a plan to use his stimulation hunger to become more successful in his career. Instead of continuing to do the repetitive, uninteresting accounting and tax work that he found so mind-numbing, Jerry went to his supervisor and expressed” 0 likes