Start by marking “Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1)

Beulah Land (Beulah Land Trilogy #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  3,266 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
BEULAH LAND.....
the tremendously engrossing saga of a great Georgia plantation in its golden age, and of the men and women, white and black, who were born and died there, knew every pain and pleasure, virtue and vice.
BEULAH LAND....
where the old South as it really was is brought to intense life, in all its outward splendor and secret shame.
Published January 1st 1973 by Doubleday Books

Tea Jovanović
Joj, sećate li se ove divne knjige... Da li ste je čitali?
LemonLinda
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of good historical fiction. It is probably my favorite genre and one of my favorite periods is the antebellum South. And as this book is a family saga from the pre-Civil War period, it was a good read for me. This is the first of a trilogy about this family and continues with the next one picking up during the war.

The characters were so compelling and their relationships were filled with drama including a lot of passion, revenge, friendship and a connection to each other, to the
Graceann
Nov 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a pre-teen, I wanted to read this and my mother removed it from the bookshelves in our home because it was too adult for me. So, I went to the library and read it there before coming home with books that she deemed suitable (as I did with all the titles that I was told I was "too young" for). I *loved* it then, and remembered it with great fondness, so I decided to pick it up again now to revisit the story.

This was such a profound illustration of how much my tastes have changed in 30+
Michele
I'm giving this one 3.5 stars, mostly because of all the hype on the cover that this was a Southern-plantation saga on par with Gone With the Wind. (The Chicago Tribune raved that this was "Gone with the Wind....with sex!" ha)

It is indeed a saga about the Georgia plantation Beulah Land and it's owners and slaves. The story begins in the early 1800s and we're introduced to the first generation at Beulah Land. There are, of course a myriad of family members, slaves, and folks from the adjoining p
Star Gibbs
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance, series
This book was on my wish list a few years ago. I had red it but ddecades ago and in Dutch.
A bookcrossing friend sent me this book.

This is what I wrote back then:
Thank you so much for fulfilling one of my wishes.
This is one of few books that I have read more then once and planning to read more then once :-)

I never knew Lonnie Coleman had written a sequel. 2 to be exact so I am trying to get the other 2 books and then I can read all 3 of them.

On Thursday, June 14, 2007 I wrote:

Well I am finally re
Nancy Ellis
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I was much younger, I used to think I would rather have lived in the mid-19th century. I know now that my perception of that time was mere fantasy, and knowing what I know now, I don't think I would choose that time, certainly not in the South! This is a great epic story of life on a Georgia plantation from 1820 to 1861. Full of fascinating people and circumstances, the author expertly makes you feel as if you're living through the trials and struggles of the people of Beulah Land, and even ...more
John
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A 5, no surprise here about the area of writing . pre civil war up to war, south, slaves, slave owners,,, etc. Well written , every page interesting. One very long soap opera with many surprises both happy and sad. A wonderful way to pass the time but I do not remember one damn thing about it.

Again a very pleasant way to pass a couple of days reading. We do not have to remember every living day of our lives. It would be the type of book I would take with me on a visit to old friends I had not
Laubob
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
My mom read this 40 years ago but I never got around to it. After she passed and I inherited her books, I finally decided to read what was one of her favorites. I loved the book, though I wished more of the characters had gotten their acts together. A huge question though....what does the ending mean? I was disappointed in the last page. Is it only to get you to read the next one? Anyone else have a thought on that?
birdsong61
Jan 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Beulah Land is the only book I remember being forbidden to read as a teenager. I finally read it in my early thirties and thought it poorly written and trashy. Don’t you hate when your parents are right, lol?!
S.B. Lerner
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love old-fashioned historical novels, and somehow I missed this one, the first of a trilogy, set prior on a plantation prior to the Civil War, and written in the 1950s. It's a family saga with wonderful characters and complex relationships. I'm reading the second in the trilogy currently.
Cyndi
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book gets 3.5 stars for content, style and history. I also gave it an additional 1.5 stars for being one of the first "adult" novels I ever read. Fond memories never die...like decent literature.
Marco  Rodriguez
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It really painted a great picture of life in the South in the early 1800's. It is not pro Confederacy, but pro Southern good and bad. The characters are brilliant especially the African American ones. I love how the black and white lives mix whether they were meant to or not.
Kathleen Rowley
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This author dug into the darker side of the south during slavery. Coleman's view of the old south is right on.
Janice Barber
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the whole trilogy!
M Strawberry Reviews
This story covers about 60 years (1800-1861) through the generations of the black slaves and white masters of the plantation Beulah Land. The story itself was interesting, but the writing was clunky in some parts and could have been polished/edited better.

The story goes in several installments, named after the time they were set in (1800, 1853, 1828, etc) and many characters get voices in the story - white and black people, along with mixed-breeds like Roman. If the author had been more careful
Pat
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice story but nothing to really grab me. My sister adored the series which is why I'm reading them, too. -- She's lent me her copies. The characterizations just aren't in depth enough, I guess. Also, the portrayal of the slaves just doesn't ring completely true. To give an idea, Coleman often refers to them as "servants" even though they are clearly slaves. That said, the characters often free slaves closest to them. I'm not quite sure what to make of the books. I'll have to read all 3 before m ...more
JanieceK
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This type of fiction is usually written by females. The male perspective changed some of the scenes, I thought. It was pretty well researched and was full of interesting details about life in the South on a large plantation. Of course, most of Southern life was not spent on a large plantation. The hardback was 536 pages and it could have been edited down quite a bit. The black characters were developed very well and there was enough drama to hold your interest even though it wasn't really a "pag ...more
Sharon
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I re-read this book for the first time in nearly 30 years as I was given copies of the sequels. What an amazing story.

Beulah Land concerns the Kendrick, Elk and Davis families in Georgia during the early 19th C. through the beginning of the Civil War. Touching on issues of slavery, miscegenation, states' rights and more, Lonnie Coleman draws a story of a family in conflict as well as in good times.

His characters ring true, with flaws and strengths alike. Highly recommended for those who enjoy qu
Sarah J. Bradley
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book when I was in grade school back in the late 70's. I was full on into a Civil War obsession, so I read everything with a Civil War theme. I remember loving this book for a lot of reasons so recently, decades later, I reread it. Funny how tastes change. I was not nearly as engaged by the characters, and found the more salacious parts to be less about the story and more about shock value. I was less than enthused with the rereading.
Catherine
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beulah Land is a bit tough for me to review. I love historical fiction, and there were parts of this book that I really enjoyed. There were also parts I hated. I did not feel a strong connection to many of the characters, except for a few of the slaves. I don't know that I will bother with the other books in the series. It was probably a 3.5 star read for me, but I rounded it up to 4 stars because of the scope of the work.
Arlene Allen
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I read - more like ate!- through this whole series as a teenager, and loved them, probably a very politically incorrect thing to do (being a product of a less enlightened time). I dare say, at the risk of committing heresy, I loved them better than Gone with the Wind. Gasp!
Donna
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading books about this timeframe -- reminded me a lot of Gone with the Wind type books. This one has a lot of strong women throughout the book but is also filled with a lot of sexual incidents that I was not expecting. Overall it was a good book.
part time librarian
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Gone with the Wind lovers (like me) will have to love this book as I did. They made it a movie too. Wonderful book and if you read it then you will of course want the second book behind it!!
Gloria
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down.
Doris House
Have had the bood for years just rereading.
M.E. Hembroff
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember when I read this book. It was a book that I had a hard time putting down. This is a book that I would reread.
Kathy
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This epic novel sucked me right in and I was totally in Beulah Land for the entire read. I loved it!
Linda
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
The master and slaves of a great plantation in the South.
Sadie
This books was like one crazy soap opera set back in the old days and I really enjoyed it.
  • Testimony of Two Men
  • Charleston
  • Queenie
  • The Immigrants (Lavette Family, #1)
  • Independence! (Wagons West, #1)
  • Wild Swan (Wild Swan Trilogy, #1)
  • Fairoaks
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • In a Dark Season (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #4)
  • My Dearest Cecelia: A Novel of the Southern Belle Who Stole General Sherman's Heart
  • From Fields of Gold
  • Random Winds
  • The Plantation (The Plantation Series Book 1)
  • The Summer Of The Spanish Woman
  • Paint The Wind
  • Csardas
  • Stella Dallas
Born William Laurence "Lonnie" Coleman. American novelist and playwright best known for writing the Beulah Land trilogy. His first novel was published in 1944. Coleman was an associate editor at Ladies Home Journal, 1947-1950, and at Collier's, 1951-1955.

Coleman's 1959 novel "Sam" is considered a groundbreaking novel in American literature in its depiction of homosexuality and metropolitan gay lif
More about Lonnie Coleman...

Beulah Land Trilogy (3 books)
  • Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2)
  • The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)