Start by marking “Rain” as Want to Read:
Rain

Rain

The animals of the African savanna use their senses to predict and then enjoy the rain.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published May 9th 2000 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain

J
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. When I read it to preschoolers, instead of saying what animal was being told about the rain next, I would say, "I/We must tell the..." then turn the page to the next animal and let the kids tell me who was being told next based on the picture.
Katy Vance
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I am knocking off stars because it talks about Africa in general, not a specific African country or including maps in the back to show where the African savannah is located. This is where the idea that Africa is a country begins: children’s books. Drives me bonkers.

That said, beautiful imagery and a nice entryway into discussing the effects of rain and/or the water cycle with young children.
Diana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime, kids
Absolutely stunning read! The illustrations are vivid and the introduction to wet-and-dry cycles of the savanna is a treat. Actually, for those of us who live in the desert, the bursting forth of green still resonates...even if our animals aren't quite so cool. :)
Kimberly
Definitely a contender for a rain-themed storytime.
Miss Sarah
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A slew of dessert animals pass the message along that rain is coming. Then each one enjoys the fruits of the rain. Preschool and up for complexity and length.
Marie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: world-booklist
Serbia

"It's time, the rain is coming! I can smell it."

"I now that it will come back again. When its time."

Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Storytime on March 21st
Theme: Spring Weather
Ruth Ann
A celebration of rain in the African savanna.
Mary
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Illustrations are effective and the repetitive language seems like it would make it a great read-aloud to children. It teaches a lot in a subtle way.
Angie  Moore
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very fun read aloud! Great for senses and circular story.
Cara Byrne
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Read as part of a rain-themed storytime for preschoolers.
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Large, simple text and repetitive structures, combined with eye-popping, colorful illustrations make this a sure bet for storytime sharing. We've been having heaps of rain here in Southern California, so this is definitely one I will be sharing with my kiddos at preschool storytime. Kids are sure to love the animals that are included in the story, and a bonus point of interest for this book is covering the different senses in the context of rain.
David
Rain by Manya Stojic shows animals of the African savanna using their senses to predict the rain, and then enjoy its aftermath.

Stojic's bright, bold, colorful illustrations focus on porcupine, zebras, baboons, rhino, and lion. Closeups of the animal's faces bring readers into the story, and make this a strong choice for sharing with large groups. My favorite images are cover, lightning, raindrop, purr, mud, and fruit.

Stojic's text features descriptive words like cracked, sniffe
Kyle Turck
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Rain is the story of a group of African animals that are awaiting the incoming rainstorm to help repair the heat damaged land that they live in. The illustrations in this book are amazing, but the story for me was lacking something that I just can't quite put my finger on. The book is pretty predictable and is aimed at younger readers, but the story itself didn't quite live up to the illustrations for me.

I would recommend this book to early elementary readers, primarily Kindergarten and
Asho
This book has beautiful, active, bold illustrations. The story describes different animals experiencing a rain storm through their five senses. I would have given this book four stars, but I'm being nitpicky because I really wish that the post-rain activities were described using the same senses as the pre-rain activities. I wish the author had come up with something for each animal to taste, hear, smell, touch, and see after the rain storm as well as during it, just to further reinforce the the ...more
Ashley
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This story begins and ends with a hot and dry day. In between the beginning and end it goes through all of the jungle animals and the senses they use to know that the rain is coming. After the rain has come and gone the story proceeds to tell of the great things that the rain has brought to the land for each of the animals. Few words are contained on each page, and are quite large making it an easy read for younger children. The story was cute; however, I think I was more drawn to the brightly c ...more
Ina
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
Through simple, repetitive phrases and big, bright bold illustrations, we see how the animals of the Savannah sense an approaching rain storm using all of their senses. At first, porcupine smells the rain and rushes off to tell zebra, who see the lightening of the approaching storm...and so on...until the rain passes and then the animals use their senses to enjoy the gifts the rain has left behind...the taste of the cool water, the lush green leaves, the tasty fruit. We leave the animals happily ...more
Maria
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will be using this book for a rain-themed story time. This is my first time reviewing this book, but I have always used it for rain-themed story times. I like that it is set in Africa and that the characters are animals on the savannah, communicating with one another about the weather... and at the end, each animal reaps the rewards of the rain.
jacky
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
A variety of desert animals use their senses to feel the rain and then enjoy its after effects. I liked the use of all the senses, especailly on a topic like rain. The story also comes full circle very nicely by returning to the first crack in the dry ground after the rain. Nice illustrations with bold colors that fill the page and text that stands out by changing size and position.
June
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, librarians, & teachers
Recommended to June by: Eboni?
Very well received at a lap time rain program. A parent asked if she could check it out. 4/13/11

Went over well again. 4/15/15

Chosen as last book at PJ and used again in Lap Time. 4/12/16

Read for Baby/Toddler Story Time and chosen again in Preschool Story Time. Love the tie in with senses and the animals.
Rosa Cline
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, science
What a lovely 'science' book without it being a science book! Teaching about our senses and how they help us in our environment. Teaching also how rain and drought does to our environment. Brilliant illustrations were just as great as the story. My adult special needs son loved this book. It caught and held his attention until the end and he had a big grin on his face at the end.
burnspenn
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is cute and different. I like that it gives kids a little taste of Africa (for instance, you don't often see baboons in children's books). The illustrations are nice and it gives a little intro to the five senses. However, the story is really simple and just doesn't have much staying power. Readng this one aloud gets old fast.
Milanie Howard
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: look-at-books
I love the look of this book; the paintings, the colors, everything just contributes to this tale of the cycle of life on the savannah. I'm totally impressed by the author's ability to create so much suspense in so few pages.
Rebekah Jones
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a great book to use when talking about the senses. It has beautiful illustrations that keep your attention. It has a rhyming text. I liked the book because it does teach about how the weather is in Africa and it shoes you what all you can do with rain.
Tori
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read it at Library storytime a long time ago. We picked it up this week and June loves it! Especially when I do all the voices. :)

Barefoot Books
Jillian Heise
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bright and big brushstroke illustrations highlight the rain/drought cycle of the African savanna and how the animals know the rain is on its way. Repetition of each animal's way of telling the rain is coming adds up on each page until the rain falls.
Janae
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
The animals in Africa are all anticipating the rain (with their various senses) and then describe what the rain does to help them after it arrives. Cute illustrations. I liked it, but my toddler wasn't into it at all.
Janet
Great splashy colorful illustrations that portray the water cycle using Africian animals that speak of the five senses in relation to rain. This title is a beauty and easily understood by preschoolers.

Just reread this beautifully illustrated title. It’s a gem in my opinion.
Heidi-Marie
I love the pictures. Bold colors. Big. Bright. And still cute. (I'm a fan of cute when it comes to children's books.) I could possibly book talk this one, but I think it's borderline young audience. Though it might work if I have K-1 in the group. More thinking.
Natalie Heavrin
This is an easy, repetitive book about animals and rain. The words are big, bold, and great for new readers. The paint brush illustrations are colorful and engaging.
« previous 1 3 next »