Start by marking “The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat (The Five Find-Outers, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat (The Five Find-Outers, #2)

The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat

(The Five Find-Outers #2)

Alternate Cover Edition: 9781405203944

Lady Candling lives next door to Pip and Bets, and owns some very expensive, pedigree Siamese cats. When her most famous cat, Dark Queen, goes missing, the gardener's help, Luke seems the obvious suspect. Mr Goon and Mr Tupping, Lady Candling's gardener are sure he's the culprit, as he was digging by the cat house all alone when Dark Q
Published 2003 by Egmont Books Limited (first published 1944)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
Findouters Challenge: Book 2. This second book is set some months after the first and is the first of the two "cat" titled findouters books. Bets is excited at Pip, Larry and Daisy coming home after three months away at school. In the meantime, Pip has received a letter from Fatty saying that his parents like Peterswood so much that they’ve bought a house there, so the Findouters will be together again. Pip and the others return to find that the Hiltons have a new neighbour, Lady Candling who ha ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
I did solve this mystery right out - as any kid with a brain that's halfway functioning will. However, the story was enjoyable all the same. I loved the bumbling P. C. Goon - idiot policemen were a staple of Malayalam movies in that era.
Darsh
Jul 29, 2013 added it
I decided to read this book because it recommended by one of my friend. This book fits in the ' a book with a male main character' no the bingo board. The most interesting character I found in this book was the cat because even when the book finished you couldn't solve the mystery of it because it kept on appering and disappering .My favorite quote from this book is 'what is wrong with this cat' beacuse that quotes shows the importance of the cat. Lastly from this book I have learned that there ...more
Abigail
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Enid Blyton Fans / Middle-Grade Mystery Readers
The second in Enid Blyton's fifteen-book Five Find-Outers and Dog series, which began publication in 1943, The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat returns readers to the village of Peterswood, where five young children - Larry, Daisy, Pip, Bets and Fatty - spend their school holidays solving mysteries. When their neighbor Lady Candling's valuable Siamese cat goes missing, suspicion falls on Luke, her fifteen-year-old under-gardener. The Find-Outers are convinced of his innocence, but will they be ab ...more
Shelley
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another really adorable story, with a charming cast of secondary characters -- I really liked their new friend Luke, who's kind and helpful even though he's kind of being abused by the adults in his life. -- Again, there's just that hint of darkness beyond the edges of the children's awareness in these books. I also liked that there was a different mystery trope explored here (an innocent party looks like the only credible suspect), rather than a rehash of the first book (misdirection!) ...more
Elaine
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-books-i-own
So sweet, I loved it!
Izzy Smith
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked it more then the first and I thought Bets seemed a bit more grown up.Also I liked there friend Luke.My favourite find-outers were Fatty and Bets and my favourite grown up or suspect was Miss Harmer.Its soooooo 5/5 stars!
Can't wait to read the next one!
Karthik Ramakrishnan
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: swift, kindle-reads
A fun, fast journey through the lives of the Five Find-Outers and Buster. This book is one that I remember almost nothing of and it seemed as if I was reading it for the first time. So it seemed more exciting than usual to read about how Fatty was being clever and pompous, how Bets was typically like herself and also had her own share of clever epiphanies, how Buster traipsed about happily and peeved Goon to no end; it is always fun to read Enid Blyton.
Lourdes Calleja
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is what got me started reading in English ( I am Maltese, English is my second language) and this book is what I talked about in my English class, It is one of my favorites for sure :)
Farseer
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another very enjoyable mystery for kids, in the Agatha Christie tradition. Of course, the stakes are lower. The five children and their dog do not investigate murders, but lesser crimes, in this case the theft of a very valuable Siamese cat. I enjoyed it more than the first because, although watching the formation of the group of children is always a treat in the first book of Blyton's series, the stakes here were more personal, since the find-outers had befriended a poor but well-intentioned te ...more
Arush Nandakumar
Apr 15, 2018 marked it as read-books
It is a good book full of mystery I felt this because this is my first book of mystery. I liked fatty's the best. The end was the best.
I am going to read the 5th book " THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING NECKLACE ",
because I didnt like the 3rd "THE MYSTERY OF THE SECRET DOOR ". I didn't have the 4th one and I couldn't buy it too. So, I started the 5th one.

" Thank you for reading "
Mansi Srivastava
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, the second book of the series was nice. Though I found the story revolving around particular find-outer....more than a team work.
But no regrets in the storyline. The Mystery was unpredictable as for kids, and for me as well.
Nicola
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Sadly a little dated. Nostalgic for me though!
Vidya
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twist in the "tail"

Sheer nostalgia to read this. Blyton never fails. The twist in the tail is nicely done - if a bit adult.
Linli
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kat
I think this was one of the first, if not the very first, chapter books I ever read. Love the Five Find-Outers and now my children enjoy them too.
Jo
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read- my faves are still the Famous Five- I think these were for younger children but still highly entertaining
Catherine Ryan
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another childhood favourite now available as a ebook :-)
Sean Harding
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blyton-enid
The second entry in the Five Find Outers and the mysteries in this series are stronger than the Secret Seven, however there is an odd relationship with the police here, and the idea of defeating Constable Goon rather than assisting him, and this is shown in the insertion of fake clues, of in reality obstructing the course of justice, for their own self-centred wants.
This may be a harsh summary, but it is fairly accurate.
As a Child I was a big fan of this series and it does have some good points
Andy Blundell
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the first proper book that I read all by myself when I was a child. Though my copy was passed on to younger siblings (not before being re-read several times) and has probably long since disintegrated, I still have a great affection for this story.

This is the second of the stories featuring the group of children who call themselves the five find-outers. When a valuable Siamese cat disappears, their friend, Luke, the gardener's boy is blamed and they set out to find the real culprit.

On i
Kirsti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the series sees Fatty not be the overbearing character he turns into in the later books. Later on it seems as if he does all the clever things, but in the beginning it is a little more equal with even Bets being the one to spot the clues. I liked my cover for this book, featuring a wide eyed Siamese face above the running Find Outers below. Another fun book, and read very quickly due to the simple nature (plus I wanted to know if I was right with who had stolen the cat- I was! ...more
Jake Collins
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Again, the characterisation is good but the "detective" aspect of the story is rather inadequate and annoying - Bets actually solves the mystery in its entirety when they first examine the cat-house, but no one picks up on the significance of her remarks.

Any detective worth his salt would have taken what Bets said and started joining the dots from there, but the Five Find-Outers are quickly becoming exactly like the Secret Seven in their determination to fumble about in the dark for most of the
Angie
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a child, this particular copy was at my nana's house and when she passed away I kept it. Always nice to return to Enid Blyton. The Five Find-Outers and Dog were never quite as entertaining as the Famous Five but still fun nevertheless and this is a sweet yet simple mystery as were they all.
Sondang
STOP, PMT and Lima Sekawan are great friends for every child back then, even an active one like me who like to run and jumped all over the place. These books surely kept me calm until the last page, and it brought smile to my parents too, seeing their little girl left her bicycle that have the possibility adding more scars in her knees :D
Mike
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-bad
Have been re-reading these books from my childhood and enjoying the elements I didn't notice 40 years ago. I especially like the bit in this book when Luke introduces a new word to the children. Enid Blyton makes sure the word is repeated again and again for the reader. Good fun.
Julie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
I enjoyed this more than the first in this series. Again, I was the winner in the "who dunnit" competition!! The kids were amazed that I'd guessed the plot (again)! They also enjoyed this more that "the burnt cottage". We'll have a break before coming back to the next one.
Aikaterina
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the way they found all the clues, both times the cat disappeared. I also enjoyed the way they found ways to get keys and other things they needed to solve the mystery without being seen by grown-ups.
Christina *Cantarella*
Awww! Memories! XD
I read this when I was like...seven!
It's pretty good XP
Akshara Gnanendra
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nothing like reading Enid Blyton as a little kid but even though the plot line is less thrilling now it is still a very sweet read :)
Fatema Danyal
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think its in sum other language but i read d eng part and it was awesum.........
Osarenren Ihaza
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I was 13 when I read this book. It was the first real thriller/suspense I ever read. This book has a special place in my heart because it has come to influence the kinds of books I now frequent.

• Di Gua Kelelawar (Lima Sekawan)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Mystery of the Missing Mermaid (The Three Investigators, #36)
  • The Mystery of the Two-Toed Pigeon (The Three Investigators, #37)
  • Hoši od Bobří řeky
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • Uma Aventura na Terra e no Mar
  • Case Closed, Vol. 12
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

The Five Find-Outers (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage (The Five Find-Outers, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Secret Room (The Five Find-Outers, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters (The Five Find-Outers, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Necklace (The Five Find-Outers, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Hidden House (The Five Find-Outers, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat (The Five Find-Outers, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Thief (The Five Find-Outers, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Vanished Prince (The Five Find-Outers, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Strange Bundle (The Five Find-Outers, #10)
  • The Mystery of Holly Lane (The Five Find-Outers, #11)
“afternoon Pip’s mother, Mrs Hilton, went to tea with Lady Candling,” 0 likes