Start by marking “Fox Evil” as Want to Read:
Fox Evil

Fox Evil

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  2,951 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
'Fox Evil' tells the tale of what happens to a village when most of the houses are sold off as second homes, what happens to a family when one of them turns bad and what happens when Captain Nancy Smith returns from peace-keeping duties in Kosovo.
Paperback
Published August 1st 2003 by Pan Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fox Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox Evil

Phrynne
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Minette Walters writes excellent books, all free standing , all full of interesting characters and all with great storylines. Fox Evil is no exception.
Set in the English country side this book takes us into the lives of both the gentry in their big houses and the 'travellers' in their buses with no fixed place of abode. There are murders and thefts, some animals and children suffer cruelty and a couple of people take leave of their senses. Throughout the whole there are a few voices of sanity in
Bonnie Hill
Do you ever get a real feeling of utter satisfaction when you finish a book? You find yourself savoring the book, not wanting it to end and planning the reading of the last page in a special place, like an outdoor swing or a favorite chair. Well this book I am about to recommend gave me such an experience. It was a great mystery set in rural England in the 2000s with the proverbial twists and turns that held my ADD in check for long stretches of time. I may be late to the game, this may be a boo ...more
Maria Altiki
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
3,5*
Αρκετά καλή γραφή, ωραία υπόθεση, ικανοποιητική η επίλυση της και αρκετά στοιχειοθετημένη. Κλείνει όλες τις παραμέτρους που έχει ανοίξει στο βιβλίο και μαθαίνεις την κατάληξη του κάθε ήρωα που έχει χρησιμοποιήσει. Δεν το λες φυσικά αστυνομικό μυθιστόρημα αλλά είναι ένα ωραίο βιβλίο μυστηρίου. Νομίζω ότι θα ξαναδιαβάσω βιβλίο της Walters κάποια στιγμή στο μέλλον.
Amanda Patterson
Stuart Aken
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charitaki Sofia
Αντί για ένα "καθαρόαιμο" αστυνομικό, διαβάσαμε στη Λέσχη μας αυτό. Ένα ψυχολογικό θρίλερ κατά βάση με πολλή ένταση και ανατροπές. Ενδιαφέρον παρουσίασε και η εξέλιξη της ιστορίας. Περιττές ισως οι τελευταίες 10 σελίδες που μπορούν να χαρακτηριστούν και γλυκανάλατες. Σε γενικές γραμμές ένα ευχάριστο ανάγνωσμα για όσους τους αρέσει η αστυνομική λογοτεχνία.
Kevin
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books by Minette Walters and have enjoyed them all. My usual preference in mysteries are for cozies, but I find Walters' books engrossing and this one was no different. I like the way many of her characters exhibit keen intelligence. Many are always thinking. She gets into the heads of most of the main characters. She was great in this book at making the incidents believable. And as always there is a twist at the end that is rather unexpected. She leaves tantalizing clues and ...more
Kaylol
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely great! After the first 100 pages i had to abandon most of the work I was supposed to be doing and keep reading till the end.

It's incredible how the author manages to go into the depth of what people were thinking. It made me see a couple of things differently. The only thing I didn't love was the last chapter. It was good, but in comparison with the great chapters it could have been better.
Virginia
I enjoyed this book. Walter sprinkles an ample amount of clues and red herrings to keep you constantly guessing who and what is going on. The only gripe I have is near the conclusion when it seems the real culprit comes out of nowhere and relies on some facts that we, as the reader, never saw. Part of me feels as if that's cheating!

However, after reading the ending, it does make sense and is reasonably satisfying. Please note, there are some descriptions of animal cruelty.
Dianne
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, though I really didn't expect to. A random find in a book sale, but the best $3.50 I've spent in a long time. The characters walked straight off the pages and onto the stage, they were so real. The story swept along, with each subplot as interesting as the next. There were no dull patches, just thundering to a gripping finish.
Gaije
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minette Walters is compared to Ruth Rendell all the time. Yes, they're both female, British, mystery writers, but that only means so much. Walters is so, so, so, much better than Rendell - and I like Rendell. Walters' books are just smarter and tighter in every way, her facility with language is worlds beyond Rendell's, her plotting more surprising, but never outlandish.
Kaethe
hunting, adoption, travelers
Sally
Aug 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually love Minette Walters, but I couldn't get into it after the first 50 pages so I dropped it. Maybe it gets more interesting later.
Jeanette
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cracking read, a real page turner. Minette Walters never disappoints and I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a gripping read. Four stars because the reveal wasn't finessed enough. But still a cracker!
Riia
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great entertainment and thriller, got me really hooked. However, the last 100 pages ("the end scenes") was tedious rambling, got really bored and annoyed. Just wanted to find out who, what, when and why.
Shadoh
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could have given this book a four star if the last third of the book hadn't dragged on and dragged on to a unsatisfying ending.
Niklas Angmyr
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: privatpersonen
Just great. Complex. Detailed personas. Very brittish. Intruiging. Happy ending.
Jean Kovats
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not care for many of the people but liked the wrap up at the end
Fiona Forthe
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good plot and characters, with a well-placed red herring towards the end. Another excellent story from Minette Walters.
Anke
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik moest even in het verhaal komen. Het verhaal speelt zich rond 2000 af, maar door de omgeving (klein Engels dorpje) lijkt het zich veel langer geleden af te spelen.
Ubik 2.0
Mar 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tedio e sbadigli nel Dorset

Nutrivo scarse aspettative su questo romanzetto e purtroppo non sono stato smentito: è un libro privo di personalità, presentato dall’edizione italiana con un titolo e una copertina che sembrano alludere a un giallo classico, che poi si rivela una specie di sconclusionato thriller con personaggi di rara antipatia (buoni e cattivi…) e uno pseudointreccio prolisso e tentennante per buona parte del suo svolgimento fino al finale pasticciato che sto già cominciando a dimen
L.A. Kent
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Fox Evil but wished it could have been more of a page turner right the way through. I found the first third quite slow, the middle third nicely speedy, but then it slowed down for me again towards the end. Fine story though, well told.
Misha
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Fox Evil is only second book I've read by Minette Walters, she is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and there is already a few more of her books waiting on my bookshelf.
The thing I have loved about this book is quite simply pretty much everything. One, the story itself. It's running smoothly, it's captivating, it makes you want to keep reading because you want to know what happens next and somehow you're pretty sure that whatever your guess is, it won't be that.
That is my se
Lainy
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 5 days

Publisher - Berkley Trade

Pages - 400

Blurb from Goodreads

Friendless and alone after his wife dies under suspicious circumstances, Colonel James Lockyer-Fox searches desperately for the illegitimate grand-daughter who could be the only answer to the problems plaguing his name and his life.

My Review

June 2001 the story opens with the murder of a wee fox. We are then treated to a news paper article covering some issues with Travellers camping in areas in England, then the s
Kathleen Hagen
Fox Evil, by Minette Walters, b-plus, Narrated by Simon Prebble, Produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

Mark Ankerton goes, at the behest of his client, Colonel James Lockyer-Fox, to find his granddaughter, who was adopted as a baby. Her name now is Nancy Smith. Her grandfather, feeling that his two children had done nothing but take advantage of him and their mother, and who now wanted to leave his inheritance to his granddaughter. Nancy Smith makes it clear that she wants noth
Kellie
Ian Mapp
Alan Hughes
Jun 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, crime
When elderly Ailsa Lockyer-Fox is found dead in her garden, dressed only in nightclothes and with blood stains on the ground near her body, the finger of suspicion points at her wealthy, landowning husband, Colonel James Lockyer-Fox. A Coroner's inquest gives a verdict of 'natural causes' but the gossip surrounding James refuses to go away. Why? Because he's guilty? Or because resentful women in the isolated Dorset village where he lives rules the roost? Shenstead is a place of too few people an ...more
Cocaine
There are several ingredients a thriller should possess. They include suspense 13TICK; tension 13 TICK; believable characters 13TICK; realistic dialogue 13 TICK; well-conceived plot and sub-plots 13 TICK; a neat but unexpected twist at the end 13 TICK. The story should take your imagination gently but firmly at first as it leads you along its convoluted corridors but increasing said tension with pace that boils in a final climatic conclusion. 18Fox Evil 19 certainly does that and whilst it may n ...more
Cliff
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear, the stiff upper lip of the British upper classes has quite a lot to answer for, this book being but one of many which makes use of the trait. A family have long owned land and an old house in an isolated Dorset hamlet. A daughter had an illegitimate child which was put up for adoption. Her grandmother dies, the local gossips get together and a whispering campaign including constant phone calls ensue. The illegimate daughter, having been brought up in a loving family, initially wants not ...more
  • Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe, #20)
  • The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19)
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • Die Schatten und der Regen
  • Paradies (Annika Bengtzon, #2)
  • Sørgekåpen (Cato Isaksen #3)
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • Exile (Garnethill, #2)
Minette Walters (born 26 September 1949) is a British mystery writer. After studying at Trevelyan College, University of Durham, she began writing in 1987 with The Ice House, which was published in 1992. She followed this with The Sculptress (1993), which received the 1994 Edgar Award for Best Novel. She has been published in 35 countries and won many awards.

The Sculptress has been adapted for tel
More about Minette Walters...