Start by marking “Fox Evil” as Want to Read:
Fox Evil

Fox Evil

'Fox Evil' tells the tale of what happens to a village when most of the houses are sold off as second homes, what happens to a family when one of them turns bad and what happens when Captain Nancy Smith returns from peace-keeping duties in Kosovo.
Paperback
Published August 1st 2003 by Pan Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fox Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fox Evil

Phrynne
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
Minette Walters writes excellent books, all free standing , all full of interesting characters and all with great storylines. Fox Evil is no exception.
Set in the English country side this book takes us into the lives of both the gentry in their big houses and the 'travellers' in their buses with no fixed place of abode. There are murders and thefts, some animals and children suffer cruelty and a couple of people take leave of their senses. Throughout the whole there are a few voices of sanity in
Bonnie Hill
Do you ever get a real feeling of utter satisfaction when you finish a book? You find yourself savoring the book, not wanting it to end and planning the reading of the last page in a special place, like an outdoor swing or a favorite chair. Well this book I am about to recommend gave me such an experience. It was a great mystery set in rural England in the 2000s with the proverbial twists and turns that held my ADD in check for long stretches of time. I may be late to the game, this may be a boo ...more
Amanda Patterson
Stuart Aken
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Minette Walters.
Bev Taylor
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the wife of a wealthy landowner, colonel james lockyer-fox, is found dead on the patio, wearing only a nightdress in the freezing night, bloodstains on the ground around her and the french windows locked

naturally all suspicions r placed on james but natural causes r recorded. but this does not stop the malicious villagers venting their feelings

he becomes a recluse, his daughter and son cut off from him and his will. leo is an inveterate gambler and elizabeth, a whore who had a child out of wed
Chanaka Hettige
"It was okay," says the two-star rating. This was one of those books which I dragged around for too long for too many places. The story builds up to be a good one. But the process of building up was mediocre. There were few interesting characters, but all are dumbed down. Especially the villain, who's always portrayed as a farce, and author expects us to take his actions seriously. That it selves contradict the whole point.

Five Hundred and Fifty-Seven pages are happening in a small village. And
CLM
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, suspense, small-town
Disappointing
Kevin
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books by Minette Walters and have enjoyed them all. My usual preference in mysteries are for cozies, but I find Walters' books engrossing and this one was no different. I like the way many of her characters exhibit keen intelligence. Many are always thinking. She gets into the heads of most of the main characters. She was great in this book at making the incidents believable. And as always there is a twist at the end that is rather unexpected. She leaves tantalizing clues and ...more
Virginia
I enjoyed this book. Walter sprinkles an ample amount of clues and red herrings to keep you constantly guessing who and what is going on. The only gripe I have is near the conclusion when it seems the real culprit comes out of nowhere and relies on some facts that we, as the reader, never saw. Part of me feels as if that's cheating!

However, after reading the ending, it does make sense and is reasonably satisfying. Please note, there are some descriptions of animal cruelty.
Kaylol
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely great! After the first 100 pages i had to abandon most of the work I was supposed to be doing and keep reading till the end.

It's incredible how the author manages to go into the depth of what people were thinking. It made me see a couple of things differently. The only thing I didn't love was the last chapter. It was good, but in comparison with the great chapters it could have been better.
Gaije
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minette Walters is compared to Ruth Rendell all the time. Yes, they're both female, British, mystery writers, but that only means so much. Walters is so, so, so, much better than Rendell - and I like Rendell. Walters' books are just smarter and tighter in every way, her facility with language is worlds beyond Rendell's, her plotting more surprising, but never outlandish.
Dianne
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, though I really didn't expect to. A random find in a book sale, but the best $3.50 I've spent in a long time. The characters walked straight off the pages and onto the stage, they were so real. The story swept along, with each subplot as interesting as the next. There were no dull patches, just thundering to a gripping finish.
Sally
Aug 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually love Minette Walters, but I couldn't get into it after the first 50 pages so I dropped it. Maybe it gets more interesting later.
Kaethe Douglas
hunting, adoption, travelers
Elena
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern, crime
This book left me unsatisfied and disappointed. Although, the story started very promising: a family mystery in a small village and a couple of uncanny, suspicious characters, it could not leave up to its potential.
The description of the main characters was detailed. However, the individual was given to less space and reappeared too infrequent in the book, so the reader get no opportunity to become familiar to them. The author jumps from one scene to the other with a variation of the characters.
Julian Edge
The story starts quite horrifically and builds a worryingly unpleasant setting for what follows. It's difficult to explain why I found what follows disappointing without giving away too many details of the plot. I guess I'd have to say that the details I would be giving away seemed sufficiently formulaic and the resolution of the whodunnit element enough of a cop-out that I only just made it to the end. I never quite believed in, or cared about, the characters beyond their role in carrying the p ...more
Bruce Retallack
I read this quite a while ago, and hung onto it because I like Minette Walters enough to retain all her books for eventually rereading. In many ways, this is vintage Walters - a whiff of pure evil permeats the whole thing as a comlex, twisted plots does a slow burn to a relatively surprise climax. On the other hand, there are few likeable characters, and the unlikeable ones are largely unlikeable in the same way. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, except that we spend a great deal of time w ...more
Ezairah
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
Minette Walters knows how to write a good story and how to keep one reading. The characters in this book are not all that likeable, apart from Nancy, Mark, James and perhaps Bella, but the reader keeps being interested in the relations, goings-on and outcome of all this. Having said that, the book isn’t really all that gripping or thrilling. It kind of drifts to a sort of climax that wasn’t really exiting or tense. The who-did-it part was not very interesting and the why was written a little too ...more
Eric Grounds
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read four or five books at a time, and two books a week. So it can take several weeks to finish a book. This one has been sitting beside a chair in our sitting room where I rarely pick up the book - normally it is the TV or the Telegraph crossword.
I have just finished Fox Evil. How I regret not sitting down to finish it all in one go. A wonderful story. Sharp, gritty, distracting.....Minette Walters deserves all the praise she gets.
Chad Bunch
This was far from the greatest book I've ever read. Ms. Walters breaks many "writing rules", including switching points of view in between chapters and making the reader very confused during blocks of dialogue and when trying to determine whose thoughts she is trying to convey.

There was also not much mystery to this mystery. The antagonist is revealed fairly early and there is very little tension. The ending is very undramatic.

Not a recommended read.
Scottie
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Minette Walters. Definitely a good read ... a murder mystery set in Dorset, England. Interesting family dynamics, characters, neighbors, attorney, etc. Not a police procedural, which is a welcome aspect. I've read that every Minute Walters novel is standalone (i.e., not part of a series) and I really enjoy that!
Jeanette
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cracking read, a real page turner. Minette Walters never disappoints and I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a gripping read. Four stars because the reveal wasn't finessed enough. But still a cracker!
Colleen
The book was suspenseful and I liked the characters (at least the “good guys”). But I didn’t think the murderer’s motivation was explained all that well. And then there is Vera. Is she just crazy? Or was she evil too?
Chrissie Rowe
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Draws you in, small cast which you end up sympathising with their individual situations. Makes you think one thing than you get proven wrong which I love. A few loose ends that annoyed me, but that was the only issue in this well worded and we'll told situation.
Sue
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I've read a book by Minette Walters and I'd forgotten what a good author she is. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and will be catching up with my other Minette Walters reads that I've missed in the future.
Riia
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great entertainment and thriller, got me really hooked. However, the last 100 pages ("the end scenes") was tedious rambling, got really bored and annoyed. Just wanted to find out who, what, when and why.
Peggy Forde
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think you’ve figured out who’s who and what they’ve done, Walters throws in a twist! Red herrings abound in this tale of evil vs good set in a small, remote English village - aren’t they all! I did, at times, want to take a shower to wash off all the evil that dropped off the pages.
Shadoh
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could have given this book a four star if the last third of the book hadn't dragged on and dragged on to a unsatisfying ending.
Jean Kovats
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not care for many of the people but liked the wrap up at the end
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good Morning, Midnight (Dalziel & Pascoe, #21)
  • Die Schatten und der Regen
  • The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19)
  • Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan, #5)
  • Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)
  • The Dead Hour (Paddy Meehan, #2)
  • Blood From Stone
  • Zabójca mimo woli (Каменская, #4)
  • The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1)
  • Gallowglass
Minette Walters (born 26 September 1949) is a British mystery writer. After studying at Trevelyan College, University of Durham, she began writing in 1987 with The Ice House, which was published in 1992. She followed this with The Sculptress (1993), which received the 1994 Edgar Award for Best Novel. She has been published in 35 countries and won many awards.

The Sculptress has been adapted for tel