Start by marking “Holding Out” as Want to Read:
Holding Out

Holding Out

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Anne O. Faulk's first novel, Holding Out, suggests that despite the many advances as women have made in the last few decades, sometimes the best path to achieving equality is to look back centuries and add a modern twist.

Holding Out begins when the wife of Lawrence Underwood, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, commits suicide as a result of 16 years of physical abus

Published July 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Holding Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Out

Joanie
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, chick-lit
I just found this at my house and realized I never added it here. This is chick lit with a bit more substance. After a politician is cleared of blame for his wife's suicide even though he had been abusing her for years a woman suggests that all women refuse to have sex with their partners until justice is served. Women actually listen to the main character and go along with the sex protest (based on the Lysistrata myth) and she becomes the target of many angry men. There were some funny things h ...more
Sara
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh...Holding Out doesn't stand out much at all in my head. I think it was disappointingly slow and probably involved politics a lot more than I was expecting. Kind of a let down.
Nicole
Aug 19, 2012 added it
I am reading this book for research for an upcoming interview about my blog, http://gunsgetnone.wordpress.com.

So far, I think the author just lost me on page 50 when she describes the introduction of the "mammified" housekeeper character Elizabeth. *Sigh!* Is there any chance at ALL that a housekeeper could be something OTHER than female, black, and overweight with a Southern-country type vernacular? I guess it's supposed to be a comforting kind of image or something but I just found it disappoi
CLM
Dec 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Betsy
Shelves: fiction, 20th-century
I lent my copy to a co-worker in Chicago, and of course never got it back, so it took me years to remember the title. I found this extremely fun and entertaining.

When a (imaginary) Supreme Court Justice is cleared of any involvement in his wife's suicide, women who knew he was a wife abuser are furious. High powered Atlanta businesswoman Lauren Fontaine, much to her surprise, finds herself heading to DC to organize a national protest.

Some readers found Lauren an unlikeable character but I don't
Krista
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Interesting concept, witholding sex to get the world to do what you want; just hasn't ever really worked for me, which is why I find the story a little far-fetched. And the writing did little to enhance my belief.
Pat
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Modern farce about withholding sex until a Supreme Court Justice who beat his wife is removed from office.
A stock broker brings together the women's movement and what consequences she has in her life.
Good.
Dh
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp.
Amy
Aug 01, 2013 added it
"I felt like a thermos that had been dropped on a concrete driveway, unblemished on the surface and shattered inside."

Melanie Claudia
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Bought this book at the second hand book sale.. It wasnt everything I expected it to be.. But i fell in love with the characters in the book.. the story line drags a bit but a good read :)
Melissa
Dec 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't typically read chic lit, but I was given this book for free. If you like chic lit, I bet you'd like this more than I did. The story was pretty amusing and had some real content and drama.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »