Start by marking “Ten Little Mummies” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Mummies

Ten Little Mummies

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  205 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Deep underground in a dreary old tomb 10 little mummies were stuffed in one room. Nothing to play with, no books on the shelves, Just 10 little mummies wrapped up in themselves. "This is the pits!" said a mummy one day. "I am bored stiff. Let's go outside and play!

For the first time in prehistory ten adorable mummies are painting the town red. But what is there to paint
Published September 15th 2003 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Mummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Mummies

Great Expectations by Charles DickensThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenPippi Goes on Board by Astrid Lindgren
Philippicae
162 books — 13 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Curse of the Mummy's Tomb by R.L. StineThe Mummy Congress by Heather PringleMummies in the Morning by Mary Pope OsborneBubba Ho-Tep by Joe R. Lansdale
Mummies
183 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Ten Little Mummies
Sandy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this rhyming kids book was cute. It begins with ten little mummies deep underground in an old tomb and they are basically bored. One of them suggested that they go outside and play and thence, the countdown begins as one-by-one the group of ten dwindles down. I liked the variety and the unique ways the mummies disappear for example: one gets heat stroke, one tries to paint the Sphinx, one gets adopted by baboons, one gets unraveled, and then, one ropes a hippo and takes a ride, plus ...more
Janelle Harris
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old son LOVED this book. We read it every day, and he actually had the entire book memorized in 4-5 days. The story was very clever, it had a great rhythm to it and was humorous. We actually ended up buying it since we had initially checked it out at the library. This is a great book for children learning to count and/or learning to read. Very cute book!!
Angela
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Why are you OUT OF PRINT? Why? You were so great. So funny. I miss you, my dearest mummy counting story. May you be preserved in your mummy cloth until resurected with a reprint. Until then, I will not forget you.
Mary Madison
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This book is about 10 mummies that get bored in their tomb and decide they want to go out. With each activity the mummies do at least one mummy always gets hurt. One suffers heat stroke, and one even gets arrested for painting a sphinx. I thought this book was super cute. I would use it as a fun book in a Halloween unit. I also enjoyed that it had actual facts about Egypt in the front.
Diana
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. It appealed tot he kids, but I din't like it at all. It made no sense to my adult brain. Arrested for graffiti? Adopted by baboons? And yet there's all somehow together again at the end? Sorry. Just didn't work for me.
Relyn
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A silly, funny Halloween counting book. The kids loved it.
Colorado Buck
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so adorable. loved the desert references and the way the mummies disappeared then all reappeared at the end. and they counted down.
L
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hilarious and creative reasons for the mummies to disappear! Facts about ancient Egypt included on the inside covers. ...more
Tasha-Lynn
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
this is a cute little counting book. perfect rhyming and flows right off the tongue. My son is loving this book and making me read it every night lol
Cosette
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute.
Jenna Satcher
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: critiques
1.This book belongs to the Counting book category for picture books.

2.Ten little mummies are wrapped up in their tomb but they are bored! They decide to go out and play, but one by one they disappear because of crocodiles, heat stroke, sandstorms and more. The last mummy is sad and goes back to the tomb, but is surprised when all her friends are there!

3.Critique:
A)One of the best parts of the book, in my opinion, is that this counting story has a complete plot.

B)This book does not simply count
Angelina
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
1. Concept Picture BookCounting
2. Little mummies are stuck in a tomb, bored. They decide to go out and play; however, with each activity, mummies disappear one at a time.
3. A. Age Appropriate
B. This is a pretty advanced number book in that it alludes to Egyptian history, which may not be familiar to young students learning to count. Because of this, I think this book would be better read aloud as to incorporate discussion. I, personally, didnt even know what hijinks meant and had to look it up
Amber
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Counting
2. Ten Little Mummies follows the adventures of ten bored mummies who decide to go explore outside their tomb. The title chronicles their experiences and (mis)adventures.
3. Critique:
a. Rhyming
b. I liked that the author used rhyme to keep the reader interested in the mummies adventures. The rhyme combined with the loss of a mummy on each adventure builds the overall intrigue of an otherwise mild story. Children would take pleasure in speculating how the next mummy will get thrown from
Emmaline MacBeath
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
When reviewing children's picture books, I have a list of criteria I work with. One is the violence factor and another is age appropriateness. When I began reading this book, I gave it low scores for the violent way the mummies were disposed of ie: sunstroke, eaten by an alligator. But as I continued to read, I began to really like the book. Yates has a way with his stories that make them very endearing. The mummies disappearing one by one began to look fun. The ending makes it better as well ...more
Nicole White
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ten Little Mummies by Philip Yates

1. Genre: Counting

2. Ten Little Mummies is a counting and poetry book that is reminiscent of the poem Ten Little Monkeys. Ten mummies head out of their tomb to take on adventure, but one by one they get separated from the group.

3. a. Area for Comment: Appropriateness

b. I think the basic idea of this counting/poetry book is cute, but I wonder if it would be a little too disturbing for some very young readers. This book is meant for very young (kindergarten age
Amy
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
1) Genre: Concept Picture Book

2) Summary: 10 mummies are bored and decide to have fun and slowly disappear.
3) Critique:
a) I really enjoyed how the mummies were used to make the story more interesting and incorporated counting as well.
b) One by one the mummies get lost because they are attempting to venture out and have a little bit of fun. There is an emphasis placed on each decreasing number as the mummies lose their way.
c) The following is an excerpt from the end of the book:
9 little
Ashton Livsey
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Childrens Picture Book, Counting
Summary: Ten little mummies are stuck in a tomb so they go out to have adventures, and one by one they disappear.
Critique: a) This counting book not only incorporates counting down, but a story, fun facts, and wonderful pictures.
The story does a wonderful job counting from ten down to one in a new way. The mummies are adventurous and when they come out of their tomb they do many different things. Along the way mummies are lost one by one to different
Sara Hannon
1. Picture book/Counting

2. Ten little mummies all crammed in a tomb decide to go out and have some fun. But one by one, they all start to disappear.

3. This is not really a book for young children. It would be a great book for late kindergarten or early first grade when children are really learning how to count backwards. The strength of this book really is the emphasis and the counting structure. We start off with a big red ten, and when one runs from the sun due to heatstroke, on the next page
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you're studying Ancient Egypt with little kids, you will definitely want to check out this book. It doesn't necessarily teach a lot about Egypt, though a few things are put in there like the Nile, and crocodiles, the Sphinx, chariots, and the pyramids. Oh, and mummies, of course. This book is a really cute counting book involving mummies and their mischief/play. A little warning - one mummy gets unwrapped and is naked (the artwork is simple, so no graphic details), and another mummy puts ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Counting books are great for children who are just learning to read. They are predictable and rhythmic and thus fairly easy to read. They are typically done with cute things: ladybugs, monkeys, bunnies, kitties.

Ten Little Mummies by Philip Yates bucks the trend a little (although his mummies are cute too). Ten entombed mummies get bored with staying put and decide to explore. One by one they disappear, one by one.

I have to admit I got this counting book more for myself than my kids. They know
Angela
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, adventure
This story is a very cute story on mummies. Book begins with 10 mummies in a box. They leave the box and experience the world. One by one they leave and are down to only one mummy left. He feels lonely and ends up going home. When he gets home he realizes his mummy friends threw him a surprise party and they are all reunited all over again.

This book could be incorporated into the classroom with other math books. This book can help students count forward and backwards due to the story line.

jacky
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool - primary
When we went to the library in Texas, I let Natalie crawl around a bit and she pulled this off the shelf. It was a cute variation of your normal counting book, but instead of ducks or fish, it was mummies! Since I read this a month ago, the details escape me, but I do remember thinking that each event that causes one more mummy to disappear were appropriate for mummies and as clever. Great Halloween book that isn't scary and also a great fun addition to a unit on ancient Egypt, with the bonus of ...more
Sari
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another book the 3-year old and I checked out of the library - he LOVES this book. The pictures are appealing to him and the text is easy enough that he can help "read" it after just a few go rounds. He gives it five stars and wants to keep it. I like it because even after reading it 42 times in a row, I'm not tired of it. :-)
Rebecca
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a fun counting book. I liked the cultural lesson as well and explained about the nile and the sphinx to my kids as we read. My favorite line is "7 little mummies got lost in the dunes. One was adopted by friendly baboons." I like it because my 4 year old commented "Hey mom, it's not a problem at all to run into baboons." That was quite clever.
Cassie
Great book for ages 3 and up. Contains great words to help build vocabulary, rhyming to help with phonological awareness, and counts down instead of up! Because it counts down from 10, its predictable enough that kids can participate and help predict how many mummies will be left on the next page.
Amy
As the title states, this is an Egyptian counting book.
It's most suited as a read-aloud to preschoolers, but the facts inside the front/back cover and the introduction of Egyptian vocabulary and concepts could be used with older children as well.
Andrea
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 2-8
Shelves: picture-books
Cute rhymes, a fun idea, and good structure make this book one all my kids wanted me to read again and again. You won't learn much about Egypt or pyramids, but budding archaeologists or kids that think they want something a little spooky will enjoy this book.
Vivian
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I've seen this story performed with home-made mummy puppets made with wooden spoons. I thought of putting tissues over suckers but didn't think of it early enough to prepare. Be sure to house your puppets in a "shoe-box" tomb! I suppose a work glove could be made into a puppet for this story.
Heidi-Marie
Good for a toddler age, and probably preschool. But a bit young for the Age 4-7 group I'm planning for this summer. I really like that the mummies incorporate the Egypt setting and that it isn't a Halloween book. So I'm keeping it around for my Egypt/Mummy theme in case I need a filler.
Amanda
Oct 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Great rhyming counting book. While mummies are slightly hard to explain to a preschooler, they make a very fun kind of introduction to Ancient Egypt and I thought were appropriate for pre-Halloween reading.

• The Hallo-Weiner
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
  • The Spooky Wheels on the Bus
  • The Invisible Boy
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • Where's Rollo?
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three
  • Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!
  • I Will Race You Through This Book!

News & Interviews