Start by marking “The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)

The Circus of Adventure

(Adventure #7)

What on earth did Bill have to bring the wimpish Gustavus with them on holiday? Neither Jack nor Kiki the parrot like the boy at all. But when Gustavus is kidnapped, along with Philip, Dinah, and Lucy-Ann, Jack must bravely follow them to a faraway country and unravel a plot to kill the king.
Published June 1st 2000 by Macmillan UK (first published 1952)

Start your review of The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
R.J. Rodda
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My kids enjoyed this. The parrot Kiki made them laugh and the dramatic improbable plot kept them engaged. Surprisingly not really about a circus at all - the circus only pops up towards the end.
Tom Seward
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enid-blyton
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
Jeandana
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As always with Enid Blyton's books, this was a great story! I love the characters, especially Phillip and his ability to tame all creatures. The story was great, not every really lulling at all, but keeping the pace fast and interesting. I find it kinda funny though that they call people donkeys and the other name for such creatures interchangably!
all in all this was a really great book, fun and fast while still taking time to describe their awesome meals and snacks! Here's to Enid Blyton!
Farseer
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fine entry in the series, this adventure is rather original in Enid Blyton's work because it belongs to the genre called Ruritanian romance (in reference to the Ruritania of the novel The Prisoner of Zenda), It is a very good adventure too, with memorable scenes like Jack following the kidnappers and stowing away in their plane, the daring rescue of the other children from the castle...

There were two things, however, that prevent me from placing it among my favorite in the series. The fi
Tim
The 7th of the 8 books in Enid Blyton's adventure series.

Bill and Aunt Allie are now married. The children return from school to find Bill is guardian to 'Gussy' a mysterious foreigner, a bit of a wimpy kid quickly dubbed ,'fussy gussy' by the others.

They all go on holiday to a remote cottage to keep gussy safe and it turns out he is heir to the throne in a foreign land.

The children are kidnapped and taken with gussy to Tauri Hessia. Jack who had been out watching owls and so escapes the kidnap
Gaurish Batra
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful and I really liked it. It showed the misadventures of a circus-like family which was captured and shipped off to a foreign country. As usual with Enid Blyton, the story was very intriguing and consisted of a mixture of mystery, thrill, and suspense. It kept me on the edge and I just couldn't put it down.

- Vanshika Batra, Mind Tree School,
Panjokhra
Bodwisebooks
This was good with the request of children asking Enid Blyton to write more adventure books, as she was going to stop at 6. With this book the the family are all together again and off for another holiday, supposedly Easter, but what surprised me was apart from the mention at the beginning of the book, Easter was not mentioned at all. It surprised me as in the era of Enid Blyton Easter would have been a very upheld holiday. Anyway the adventure is full of excitement and strange happenings throug ...more
Crystal E. Fall
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
The series was meant to end at The ship of adventure, but after many demanding and pleading fans Blyton’s back again, this time with a slightly different concept. It’s pretty good, with many interesting characters and landscapes in the land of Tauri-Hessia. Part of series. Can be read out-of-order, without much trouble.
Troy Godley
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting

This was a very interesting book and I liked it a lot I think very good ideas and an very imaginative book.I liked gussy's character and all kiki's new words and phrases .A very good book.
Nobi Nobes
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very adventures! I loved it.
Rachel Slocombe
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once we got to the circus it was exciting and action packed. One of the better books in the series.
As always with all Blyton it looses points for racism and really pushing gender norms.
Heli
I really loved Kiki!
Such a great read from my first favorite author.
Roshpinna
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun stories as always
Ash
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This was really fun.
Old memories. Read it again after many years.
Maliha Tahir
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just remembered that I read it as a kid and had loved it
Dion
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading with my daughter. What a pleasure.

Love this group of adventurers the best of all Blyton's crews, even the Famous Five.

"God save the King! Wipe your feet!"
Jody
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister read this to me when I was young and I really enjoyed reading it for myself all these years later. Will give to my grandchildren.
T.F.
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The seventh book has been my favorite one in the series. That has a flip side as well. While I had forgotten some of the events in the other books, I remember this one vividly and even the dialogues came to my mind before they were said. So it was not as enjoyable a read as I hoped this to be.

The series was supposed to originally conclude with the sixth book but guess given the popularity of this series, the publishers wanted more. But still she wrote only 2 more. I don't know why this did not
A.R. Collins
I went into this book with a certain amount of prejudice, as I seem to remember that some years ago I thought it was completely stupid and far too xenophobic. Well, there is a certain amount of xenophobia, but not as much as I anticipated and the children aren't quite such horrible bullies towards Gussy as they were to poor Lucian in The Ship of Adventure. I had an idea that the circus folk were too outlandish to be true, but as it turned out, they were fine (it must be some other Enid Blyton bo ...more
Jake Collins
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In terms of the adventure, the setting and the atmosphere, this book is back up to the extremely high standard of the first three entries in the series. It takes quite a long time to get to the point (the titular circus appears about halfway through the story) but this is perfectly justified as there is quite a lot of setting up and explaining to do before the exciting pay-off can be reached.

Fans of Jack will enjoy this one as it really is his story; he gets himself dumped in a foreign country a
Kirsti
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, here is my first review for a book I read on kindle, and not a physical book! Yes, I gave in and bought a kindle. I'd been researching them as a possible gift for my mother-in-law, and finally curiosity got the better of me and I went out and bought one. So far, I'm loving everything about them, but I suppose I'd better review this book first.

Let me say the clearness of the kindle enhanced this book for me, and the touch screen was so seamless I ate up the pages with ease. I loved how this
Jane Irish Nelson
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another old favorite. When Bill brings a young boy along with the family for the holidays, the four children can't help but wonder why. Especially such a boy! Gussy is a foreigner with long hair, lots of money, who is easily upset. They can hardly believe it whey he tells them his real identity and Bill confirms it. And they've only just recovered from that shock when late one night intruders steal into the cottage and kidnap Gussy along with Philip, Dinah, and Lucy-Ann. Jack escapes since he wa ...more
Audrey
Oh what a fun, fun, fun book. Jack, Lucy Ann, Philip, and Dinah are annoyed when Bill announced that they will have a companion during their holiday. Gussie is a spoiled little boy but having him around leads to another adventure. The children soon learn that he is actually a Prince and gets kidnapped. His uncle is the King of another country and his enemies want to overthrow him and use the Prince as a pawn to gain power. The children and Bill soon put a stop to that!
Samantha
A rip roaring adventure this time the gang find themselves being kidnapped and joining a circus never a dull moment in an Enid Blyton story. Enid must have had a lot of positive response to Kiki's character as her role was considerably beefed up and I love the way Enid Blyton weaves animals into the stories. And Kiki is such a gutsy character and really adds to the charm. Excellent descriptions and great dialogue keep things zipping along. This entry is one of my favourites in the series.
Sonu
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read almost all the Enid Blytons books: the famous five, the five find-outers, the secret seven, you name it, but IMO this is her best. This is the book I read so many times as a kid the binding is falling apart. Enid Blyton really pulled out the big guns with this one, it has everything a kid with an overactive imagination could want in an adventure book: international intrigue, kidnapping, spies, a circus, disguises, and of course, everyone's favorite parrot Kiki.
Aarathi Burki
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
These kind of books take us back to our childhood. I just love how these 4 tackle any situation so calmly and are not scared of adventure or taking any risk.

Best part about this book was how jack blended with the circus crew and rescued his cousins and the prince. And a special mention to Kiki the parrot whom one just can’t stop loving ... jack is indeed lucky to have her as his pet.

Read this book and you are sure to enjoy and relate yourself with these characters.
Booklovinglady
First book of the series that I read and owned; the book was given to me for my birthday by a classmate. Until then I had not even heard of this series but I loved the story and the characters so much that I completed the series as soon as I possibly could. The other Adventure books were either given to me as a present on various occassions or bought with my limited pocket money :-)
Kate Wood
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-books
Despite not being an avid Enid Blyton fan my Auntie gave me this series of books and I loved them and re-read them often. Less annoying than the 5 and 7 and just as predictable but strangely comforting :)
Nimisha
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favourite books. I have read and re-read this book so many times. It has everything I would want ... circus magic, Kiki!, a prince in hiding and stuff families would do for each other.
MRS
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good for about 8-12 year olds its very exiting and it is about some children ho have to look after this person but there is a big reason behind them looking after him this reason causes one big adventure come and have a look.

• The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
  • The Message in the Haunted Mansion (Nancy Drew, #122)
  • Listen to the Moon
  • The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys, #13)
  • If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)
  • The Hidden Harbor Mystery (Hardy Boys, #14)
  • Footprints Under the Window (Hardy Boys, #12)
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Icefall
  • Wild Space (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Stealth (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #1)
  • Clair de Lune
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories
  • The Mummy Case (Hardy Boys, #63)
  • What Not to Do If You Turn Invisible
  • The Complete Adventures of Feluda, Vol. 1
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 3: Freshman Frenzy/Mystery Letters/Eight is Enough/It's a Girl Thing (Holly's Heart, #11-14)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

Adventure (8 books)
  • The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)