Start by marking “The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)

The Enchanted Wood

(The Faraway Tree #1)

Jo, Bessie and Fanny move to the country and find an Enchanted Wood right on their doorstep. In the magic Faraway Tree live the magical characters that soon become their new friends – Moon-Face, Silky the fairy, and Saucepan Man. Together they visit the strange lands (the Roundabout Land, the Land of Ice and Snow, Toyland and the Land of Take What You Want) atop the tree a ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about The Enchanted Wood, please sign up.
Rebekah I think that both younger children and older children would enjoy this book, so personally, i would read it to a child as young as 6. Theres nothing…moreI think that both younger children and older children would enjoy this book, so personally, i would read it to a child as young as 6. Theres nothing offensive in them, so likely you might want to go lower w the age! ;-)(less)

Luffy
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Enchanted Wood has been censored by an anonymous politically correct brigade, which is unfortunate. More of that later. The concept of the Faraway Tree was brilliant. A magical tree where magical beings live was a great idea, but having various lands come to the top of the tree was a stroke of genius.

Jo, Bessie and Fanny are three kids who move from the town to the countryside that borders on a mysterious wood. They discover brownies (not of the confectionery type) pixies and elves. Their ad
Mark Lawrence
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
The first thing to note about the Faraway Tree is that it's not far away at all, it's actually very close to where our heroes live. If it wasn't a tree the whole thing would be a lie! They often harp on about how lucky they are that the Enchanted Wood starts across the lane from their house.

The second thing to note is that if you read this book as a child then all four children in the modern edition will have changed their names!

Dick and Fanny are now Rick and Franny.

Jo is Joe. And Bessie is Bet
Joyce
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather than this being a review of the book, I'm going to use this space mainly to rant and get out all my angry feels about the 'updating' of Enid Blyton's books. I've loved this book for nearly 18 years now and I encourage anyone, adult or child to try and find an original unedited Enid Blyton book to read. As a general review, this book is about three very close-knit siblings that work hard to complete their chores around the house and are subsequently rewarded with free time and adventures w ...more
Poonam
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Poonam by: Nameeta
Read this as part of 2018 Ultimate Reading Challenge, Category: "A book you were supposed to read in school but haven’t yet".
'It's called the Enchanted Wood,' said their father. 'People don't go there if they can help it. It's funny to hear things like this nowadays, and I don't expect there is really anything strange about the wood. But just be careful not to go too far into it, in case you get lost.'
I picked this book up as it was recommended to me as an excellent read and as part of the c
Dannii Elle
Rereading a childhood favourite can sometimes prove hazardous. Often, what so appealed to our younger selves we later find riddled with plot holes, become distanced from the young protagonists, or find them just generally unsuited for an adult readership. For this reason I had stayed away from my once beloved Enid Blyton, for so long.

The Faraway Tree series were particular favourites of mine however, and I had been hankering to revisit them for some time. I knew I was taking the risk of marring
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

My wife, Millie, and I are taking it in turns to pick bed-time stories for our baby boy, Fin.
Srishti Lal
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Enchanted Wood Series is very close to my heart. This was most definitely the first novel I read when I was about 7 or 8, and I was completely mesmerized by Joe, Bessie and Fannie and their adventures in the enchanted woods so much that I just COULD no keep this book down.

My love for this book goes beyond words and deep inside, i guess it'll always be my favourite novel seeing that it was the first one I read. Okay, now I'm going to stop rambling and get right to the point.

Review

“They unl
Ruth Turner
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childs-play

I'm visiting my eldest daughter and my three month old granddaughter this weekend. My daughter and I got to talking about children's books and I began telling her about The Faraway Tree. She interrupted me to say that I'd bought them for her when she was young. I'd forgotten!

I loved those books so you can imagine how peed off I was when I discovered that the books have been edited to make them more politically correct!

Honestly, how stupid are some people to want to change perfectly delightful b
Skip
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Skip by: Sarah May
Shelves: fantasy
Originally published in 1939, Enid Blyton was an early writer of tween fantasy. Jo, Bessie and Fanny are three kids who move from the town to the countryside that borders on a mysterious wood. While exploring in between daily chores, they discover brownies, pixies and elves, and a magical tree containing all sorts of characters. What really makes the tree magical is the various lands that can be accessed at the top of the tree, and we follow the three kids on various adventures in these places. ...more
Rati Mehrotra
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
She is very much out of favor these days, but Enid Blyton's old-fashioned adventure books are still popular in many countries like India and Australia. Children still enjoy her books, while adults frown at their “racism” and “sexism”. I must admit that I devoured her books as a child, and I don’t think I’m any the worse for it. But quite the most enchanting books she has ever written have got to be The Faraway Tree series: The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tr ...more
Bonnie
I really missed out on a gem with this series; I know I would have loved this when I was younger. I still enjoyed it very much though. I decided to actually listen to this on audiobook and loved it! Narrated by Kate Winslet she did an absolutely amazing job with it. :)
Dawn
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed that the publishers thought it was a good idea to Americanise, and make a classic story politically correct. Shame. Shame. Shame.
David Sarkies
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children and parents
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: childrens
The discovery of the faraway tree
10 March 2012

Enid Blyton turns out (according to Wikipedia) to be a rather strange woman and not somebody who one would expect to the a very successful author of children's books. However, the views of Wikipedia, and some of those who wrote about her, do tend to be somewhat tainted. This does not mean that Blyton was necessarily a person of high moral standing. It appears that she had two marriages, and at one stage, allegedly, was quite promiscuous. It also app
Ivy H
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
Earlier this week during a coversation with KC 2.0, I was reminded of my favourite childhood novel EVER !

I'm not ashamed to admit that I've read this little book so many times, even as an adult. It's a comfort novel for me, because it always fills me with happiness and reminds me of the times as a little girl when I would turn on my bedside lamp late at night and read my storybooks while my 2 dogs Ike and Nicky slept right beside me. May Ike and Niklaus rest in peace up there in doggy heaven !
Kirsty
This book was literally one of my all time favourite children's books ever, so I jumped at the chance to purchase the series again but as audiobooks instead. I was so excited at the chance to have such a classic read to me and by none other than Kate Winslet at that. My only worry was that I wouldn't enjoy the books now that I am an adult, along with worrying that my brain had perhaps overhyped these books a little too much in my head. I needn't have worried however, this book made me so unbelie ...more
Kylie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ah, one of my absolute childhood favourites. I consider it a privielige that I get to read it to both my own child (5 years old) and my class (NZ yr 3, so 7 turning 8). And it appears that the appeal has not diminished with time.

I do have some bugbears, mostly that the 'pc-ifying' has seen it necessary to change some of the character names. Frankly I do not care if Fanny means something in one country that it doesn't mean in another - look at all the different meanings that we discovered 'Suri'
Cleffairy Cleffairy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To read this book as a child was pure joy. To read this book as an adult, now that's pure escapism from the cruel world. I really love this book and I'm pleased to say that re-reading this as an adult made me rediscover the simple joy of imagining about the wonderful world around me. It is such a misfortune that we no longer get these kinds of books in the market. Such a shame that our children's and YA genre is infested with vampire, werewolves and whatnot. Back then, we just had pure, unadulte ...more
Seema Ravi krishna
What a delight to read it to your 6 yr old and see him giggle, laugh and get anxious on this adventurous journey. A first big book for my lil one where he takes his tiny steps to enter the world of imagination and what joy and pride to see him fall in love with my first fav author whom I grew up reading.
Julie Lovisa
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
This has to be one of the most fantastic childrens' books I've ever read. I discovered it existed while reading a magazine article about the top book picks of certain authors. It is published only in the UK, but is so worth searching out.

The tale revolves around three children who live next to the Enchanted Wood, which houses the Faraway Tree. The Faraway tree is home to many wonderful people -- Mister Whatizname, Dame Washalot, Silky the Fairy, Moon Face, and eventually The Saucepan Man -- but
Renee
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my favourite series when I was a kid. I have been waiting years until my kids were old enough to read it to them. Their grandparents gave them a copy for Christmas. It's not quite the same with Beth, Frannie and Jo instead of Bessie, Fannie and Joe, but still a great tale.

**Interview with my 6 year old son**

Me: What did you think of the book?
Him: It was really awesome!

Me: Which bit did you like the best?
Him: My favourite bit was when they found the secret forest. And my other favourite
Tia
I found my old copy of this book when i was visiting home last year. Its UNEDITED (i am so disappointed about the new edited versions) and it was so sweet and nostalgic to read again. Loved revisiting the wonderful lands of the Faraway Tree.

I don't think i have read the rest of the series previously. Going on the hunt to find the original copies of those books.
Em*bedded-in-books*
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Before GR
Colleen Stone
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Yep, this is the one. This is the book that started me reading big time. My big regret was that I could only get hold of the two last volumes in my school library and I didn't find the final volume for years (in our house, money was an object ... and lack of it a real frustration to a would be book collector). I was also pissed off that there were not more books in the series.

I hate to get flowery, but what the hell! My mind was drawn out of my narrow and all too real world and deposited in a p
Shilpi Goel
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Out of the huge list of books that Goodreads says I ought to read, this book caught my eye. What Goodreads doesn't know is that I'd already read this one, and now, all the memories have come flooding back.

I remember so much about this book --- I read it almost two decades ago. I remember Silky, Moon-Face, and the Saucepan Man. I remember how I begged my dad to build a tree house for me as a poor substitute for my very own magic faraway tree (he never did, but I love him all the same). I remember
James Hartley
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first book in which Blyton introduces the wood and the tree and still a fantastic read. One of the great British imaginations, a fantastic communicator. I still remember reading this one as a child and loving it and have just finished reading an abridged, cleaned-up, politically neutered version with my kids and have seen the same shock and excitement in their eyes as the story twisted and turned like the trunk of the great tree itself. Moon Face, Silky and the lands are wonderful achievemen ...more
Salma
This book was awesome!

I loved every part,every minute, every character in it.It was totally unexpected in a good way and that to me is why I loved it.
There was humour as well. I just couldn't help laughing. The author's imagination came to play right in this book and I liked though the saucepan man was pretty much annoying. Anyway there are always annoying characters in every book so that was okay.

Overall, great book.I loved it!
Kimberley doruyter
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
fun and adventure, a perfect bedtime read for the kids.
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Oh would you look at this.....!! I had this read TO ME by my Mummy because I was 2 and couldn't even read. But I think it still counts! Don't you?!!
Spencer Fancutt
Just finished- this is the first full book that I have read to my eldest (5 years old). Short, fun chapters for reading before bed, nothing scary, lots of interesting characters and two more books to look forward to. I recommend it to parents as a starter to move from picture books.
Tessa
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-ya, classics
The Enchanted Wood tells the story of Jo, Bessie and Fanny (remodelled Joe, Beth and Franny in later years), three siblings who move to the English countryside and proceed to have various adventures in a magical wood backing the yard of their new home. Importantly, the protagonists discover the Magic Faraway Tree, inhabited by fantastical beings, and at the top of which different ‘lands’ (e.g. Roundabout Land, Land of Take-What-You-Want, Land of Birthdays, etc.) rotate on a regular basis.

Like m
Around the Year i...: The Enchanted Wood, by Enid Blyton 1 13 Jan 11, 2018 04:22AM
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Possum Magic
  • The Prime Minister's Brain (Demon Headmaster, #2)
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • Finders Keepers (Finders Keepers, #1)
  • Jo of the Chalet School
  • Wombat Stew
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet
  • African Adventure
  • The Magic Pudding
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • Spring Story
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

The Faraway Tree (4 books)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Up the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #4)
“Well, come back and have tea with us," saidMoon-Face. "Silky's got some Pop Biscuits -andI've made some Google Buns. I don't often makethem-and I tell you they're a treat!” 16 likes
“there was such a lot of whispering that it sounded like a thousand leaves rustling at once!” 0 likes