Start by marking “The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3)

The Faraway Tree Stories

(The Faraway Tree #1-3)

Published July 1st 2002 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published January 1st 1991)

Manny
I never much liked Enid Blyton when I was a kid, but this one got read out to us aloud sometime in second grade so I had no choice. I don't remember very much of it (I fear I may not really have been paying attention), but there is one incident that stuck in my memory. The kids have found this magical ice-cream vendor who can give you absolutely any flavour you want. All but one of them do the sensible thing and just request their favourite kind. But the smart-ass in the group decides to test th ...more
Warwick
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I adored the Faraway Tree stories when I was a kid – and still do, but caveat emptor, make sure you check the version you're buying. This particular edition has been bowdlerised to pieces. The episode where the children land in Dame Slap's school – which terrified and thrilled me as a wee 'un – is now unrecognisable. Here's how Dame Slap originally dealt with her pupils:

She frowned. ‘Twinkle, come here!’ she said. A small pixie walked up to her.

‘Haven't I told you to brush your hair properly for
C.L. Taylor
A whopper of a book! Three Enid Blyton Faraway Tree stories in one edition. This series was my favourite as a child. It's magical, imaginative, exciting and scary. I re-read it this year, to my 5 year old son, and he was as enchanted as me. Enid Blyton may well be responsible for me trying to end each chapter of my novels with a cliffhanger - she does it so well and I've lost count of the number of times my son begged me for, 'just one more chapter, mummy!'
Ash
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I find it hard to find an aspect of the Faraway Tree Stories that I can hate or dislike, these were the stories I begun reading for myself at the age of nine, and ever since I have made a habit of returning to them at least once a year never wanting to forget the magic of the stories and how they became such a large part of my childhood. Who could forget the Land of Spells or the Land of Do-As-You-Please or The Land of Take-What-You-Want? Those being just a few of my most loved lands atop the ma ...more
Rebecca Carter
Loved these series as a child. My Dad used to read them to me as a bedtime story along with Brer Rabbit. As I got a bit older I used to love reading her other series-The Wishing Chair, Mallory Towers, The Twins of St Clair's, The Secret Seven, The Children of Cherry Tree Farm and my favourite back then, The Famous Five. Enid Blyton inspired me to read as a young child and to this day I suspect is the reason I love to read.
I found a copy of the Magic Faraway Tree in a hotel library and read it i
Tamsyn J
A truly magical book that I have read way more than just this one time. I am pretty sure I read it multiple times a year from the first time I got my copy. Anytime I want to escape and just be free, this book is one of my go to books. The characters are so real to me even in all their fantasticness. It never bothers me that their mother doesn't question why Moon-Face looks the way he does or how a squirrel can talk. It never seemed strange that she didn't notice they would sneak out or that they ...more
Sandra
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know Enid is no longer de rigueur.......but without this author my childhood would have been a sad and lonely place, from her stories for young children the wishing chair and come to the circus, to the fabulous famous five, St. clares, and Mallory towers series, this woman encouraged my love of reading which I continue today
Fatima
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Enid blyton books and even today when I re-read all of her stories, it takes me back to my childhood days <3 which is the only reason re-read them at time. This book in particular was what I borrowed from my school library on purpose so that I could read it at night and when I did, it was as if I was taken back in time back to my sweet carefree childhood days. Loved the stories! Especially moon face and the three kids.
Caren
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
When I read that Enid Blyton was one the favorite childhood authors of the likes of Neil Gaiman and Stieg Larsson, and when a British exchange student at my daughter's college exclaimed in surprise when she heard that her American friends had never heard of Enid Blyton, my curiosity was aroused. It turns out, Blyton is the 4th most translated author (after Shakespeare), wrote 700 books for children, and last year (2009) was voted favorite British author in one poll (beating out J.K. Rowling).
Why
Umang
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's like dreaming while you're awake. Maybe at an adult stage, it won't be that enjoyable but read it to your kids or your little sister/brother or just any youngster and you'll be able to understand why they will fall in love with it. It's a great book and it leaves you with nothing but happy thoughts which every child deserves. It's innocent and lovely. It's a dream.
Tanmayee Gupte
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I kid I would devour any book written by Enid Blyton. I remember my most favourite series is this Faraway series. The concept of a tree taking you off to faraway magical lands is clever, captivating and original. The lands are scary and funny. This was my first introduction to books full of magic. A must read for kids (or people) who like magic!
Alexandra Hunter
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These were amongst my favourite stories when I was little. The children, Moon Face and Silky go on adventures to different worlds that are at the top of the far away tree. The worlds change frequently and their adventures are delightful. The characters of the tree are brilliant and I can't wait to read these to my son. I think I enjoyed reading them until I was 9 or so.
Judith Johnson
When I was a child I wanted to live in the Faraway tree, or if not, then Badger's home, or a Hobbit-hole!
Paul Browne
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
wonderful set of stories which children in primary school will definitely enjoy. Have fond memories of having these read to me and in turn reading to my younger sibling.
Alice Biggerstaff
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great series of books! Very adventurous allowing children to expand their imagination and build on their creativity. These books touch on individual character differences and different, diverse worlds. The characters in the book are faced with exciting adventures that teach them how to grow as individuals.
Rikke
This was simply just delightful. Nothing less or nothing more; as light as a feather, and as sweet as a treasured childhood memory, these stories almost melted on my tongue with a sugary flavour. My only regret is just that I didn't read these as a child. It is such a shame, because I would have loved them.

'The Magic Faraway Tree' is childhood imagination at its best. I can easily imagine a younger version of me, squealing with delight at the mere thought of a land of toys or a tea party land.
Naseem
Jun 09, 2012 added it
In this novel we are introduced to the lives of a family with 3 young children, Jo, Bessie and Fanny.

Due to financial circumstances the family move to a small cottage close to a large forest.

One day they discover a tree which seems larger than the others and decide to climb it, uncovering a host of magical people and creatures that actually live in between the branches in cosy little homes.

Over time the children become good friends with them, namely Moon-face and Silky. They are also to discove
EA
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fae, children
This is a fantastic series to read aloud to young children or to be read independently by early primary readers. The chapters are short (great for limited attention span), the writing is well done, the adventures are a good mix of tremendous fun (the Land of Birthdays!) and mildly perilous (but never very scary), and it's all very innocent. I also highly recommend the audiobooks read by Kate Winslet. My kids love to listen as they drift off to sleep. Enid Blyton is much beloved in our home.

J (5y
Eva Cox
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an enchanting story that lets children's imaginations run wild. I love all of the different characters and the many adventures that they encounter. I believe that the book confronts a range of issues specifically involving family bonds as well as different issues involving being different.
Torry Rose
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the Faraway Tree Collection on the suggestion of my husband; they were his favorite books growing up. I read them to our children and what a hit they were. I thoroughly enjoyed the stories as well.

Writer Enid Blyton created such a magical world for her characters Joe, Frannie and Beth to live in. There is a scene in the book where the children first see their new home:

“Roses hung from the walls—red and white and pink—and honeysuckle was all around the front door. It was lovely!”

Who
Harriet Moar-smith
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have never met anyone in person who has read even so much as the most famous book in this trilogy 'the faraway tree' these books are amazing and I want more people to read their amazingness. The characters visit so many strange and wonderful lands and I just love it when they take new people up the tree for the first time and they get to meet everyone. This is by far Enid Blyton's best work. I read a lot of the famous five and it just doesn't compare. This is full of imagination and adventure ...more
Paul Foley
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent collection and one that I remember reading as a child. The story of the book revolves around three children who have discovered the Magic Faraway Tree. Every day a different land appears at the top of the tree eg. The Land of Spells or The Land of Topsy Turvy. I think this would be an excellent book for home reading as it is very imaginative and also includes a number of illustrations to aid weaker readers to understand the story. There are also some moral lessons in the boo ...more
Ross Williams
A classic book from an underappreciated author, who is the 5th best selling author world wide, selling over 400 million books. Enid Blyton was writing fantasy stories in the 1940s/50s whilst keeping the morals of the day and without a trace of violence. Where would many of today’s authors be without her? How many of today’s writers were influenced by her as children. An author everyone should become familiar with. Why not make her books bedtime reading with your kids, they won’t miss the violenc ...more
Fiona
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
My favourite series as a kid, I adored them. It's a pity really learning about what kind of a hypocrite Enid was concerning her own family and the lies she made up about them. (That her mother died when she hadn't, that her dog was still alive when it died etc) but her books are still very good for young children. They're simple and fun - they take you into a world you WANT to be in. Not just an interesting story - but they take you into this fantastic magical world and really inspire imaginatio ...more
Debumere
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book in the WORLD.

I love these stories, I want a Faraway Tree. I want weird coloured chickens and exploding toffee.

This time round though... In the first book Joe and Co go up the tree and Joe is a bit mean. Nasty streak in that boy.

Didn't care for him much, Frannie cries all the time and middle child Beth is the best of the lot.

Should never be made into a film unless Tim Burton directs.
Paul Stevenson
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My partner read these 3 books as a bedtime story to our 5 year old daughter, with some slick online editing to remove the gender stereotyping present in the book. I found myself looking forward to the bedtime routine, and once the books were all finished there seemed to be a void. I should say my daughter loved them too.
Lee Pritchett
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is brilliant. Children's fantasy at its' best. I loved listening to the audio tape of this when i was a small child and i love it just as much now. It's just so quirky, fun and magical. Moonface, the saucepan man, silky the fairy, the magical worlds in the cloud at the top of the tree. It's all so enchanting. I think the faraway tree stories are fantastically good fun.
Amina Hayat
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this collection two times, it is an amazing story about the most enchanted tree, named far away tree. Many pixies, wizards n people live there and it has a ladder at the top whith different lands on its top.
Kimberley Jones
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
happy memories :-)
Lisa Brady
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when i was a child! I think without it i wouldnt have such a magic craving personality..
Which Land is your favourite? 4 25 Jun 29, 2013 01:31AM
the books of enid blyton 1 12 Feb 06, 2013 05:41PM
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Swallows and Amazons (Swallows and Amazons, #1)
  • The Tailor of Gloucester (Rabbit Ears)
  • Blinky Bill
  • Mr. Bump
  • Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
  • The Adventures of Milly-Molly-Mandy
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • What Katy Did
  • Enid Blyton: The Biography
  • Just William (Just William, #1)
  • The Princess of the Chalet School
  • Dogger
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

The Faraway Tree (4 books)
  • The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Up the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #4)
“Not at all,’ said Moon-Face, leading them up a little lane through the” 2 likes
“It was just like seeing” 1 likes