Start by marking “Escape from Exile” as Want to Read:
Escape from Exile

Escape from Exile

When Daniel awakens in an alien world caught up in a bitter civil war, he is forced to choose sides. Befriended by strange and powerful animals with whom he can mindspeak, Daniel and his small band of animal allies travel through this world having to depend on their own wits -- and luck -- to survive.
Published April 26th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Escape from Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape from Exile

Start your review of Escape from Exile
Emily
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is kind of funny to me because I accidentally picked it up at the school library in middle school when I was looking for something else. I thought it looked interesting so I checked it out and I LOVED it! I was looking for it in the past few years and I couldn't find it anywhere, mostly because I couldn't remember the name or most of the plot. After a couple of years of intermittently searching, I stumbled upon this site where people give really obsure details about books and these ...more
Sara
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a cute little story. I also have to thank this book and author. Escape from Exile was the first book I read(back in 6th grade)that really got me interested in reading. Before that,I hated reading.I would recommend it to anyone to read if they like fantasy and to someone who doesnt't like to read. Maybe it could change their mind.
M.
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was around eight or nine years old my oldest brother got this book from the library and began reading it to me and the rest of our siblings. It was the first book that I ever remember loving. I read and reread the story. This was one of the key books that made me fall in love with storytelling and fantasy stories. Such an underrated treasure.
Joshua McKey
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story creates a Narnia-ish feel to it but remains unique due to the fact it creates new creatures that would not be found on earth. In addition to that, it creates a couple interesting characters like Me (those parts always cracks me up).
One thing I had a hard time following was how cut and dry the plot was; although extremely enjoyable the plot was a little predictable...but still awesome!
Adriana
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started it all for me. it was the first chapter book I readever and in the 7th grade. I picked it up in the library by accident the cover seemed interesting at the time. I remember getting lost in it and it was the first time it had ever happened to me. It's a cute little story but life-changing for me.
Hariharan
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
On a dry Sunday afternoon, amma drove me out to flouring mill. As I sat next to the poorly maintained flour mill shouting at its top gear, I noticed an old book store beside. Scanning the whole rack for half an hour I found nothing. On my way out when I was pulling some book, one stack of books fell down. When I tried to rearrange those, I got hold of a nice old book, “Escape from Exile” by Robert Levy.
The image in the front page was so captivating with a wonderful sketch of a boy clad in
Gale
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
“Choosing Sides in an Alien War”

Taking a shortcut through the forest in a blizzard young Daniel is stuck by lightning—or something—to awaken on an alien world (shades of John Carter of Mars). He is soon embroiled in a civil war over the throne (yawn, yawn) but is naturally at a loss to know whose side to espouse. Of greater interest is his suddenly-acquired ability to communicate mentally (an Empath, as in Star Trek) with various alien animals on this planet. Through his compassion he gains an
Jessica Kagan
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another one of those books I read in late elementary/early middle school - I think that I got it from a Scholastic book sale, of all things.

Anyways, I remember finding the setting particularly captivating - a medieval world with strange flora and fauna, a political war, etc. The protagonist seems to have been slightly vanilla - just acting out his heroic destiny, but the supporting characters (particularly the animals he communicated with) more than made up for it. I imagine I wouldn't enjoy
Brendan
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Best book In the whole world. I Read this fantasy back in the days of middle school. Even now when I'm a Senior in High school I desperately looked for this book, because It is my all time favorite. I forgot the name, however I remembered the plot. When I found it I was relieved, and I read it again. I believe this was my third time. Now that I finished it I made this account to share what I've been through. I might make a movie on YouTube about this book in honor of its ...more
Adam Z
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book was very interesting. I really enjoyed it because it really keeps you guessing and you can't tell what is going to happen next. It talks about a boy that goes to another world that is all fantasy and he has to fugure out who had killed the parents, the brother or the sister. In the end he ends up helping the person the person defeat the other, but I won't tell you who. So you'll have to read it and fugure it out on your own.
Chance G
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
So far this book is very good i think you should read it its not to long a book you could finish in a book if you like reading its a boy daniel that gets lost. Will he get back? or will he die. What will happen read the book and find out it is a little long but it keeps you in suspense the whole time
Robert S.
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I read it years ago in middle school. This is one of the books that got me into reading. I thought about this book for a long time before i remembered the name of it, and as soon as i did i bought it. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good quick fantasy read. Reading it again brought back good memories! Thank you Robert Levy for such a good book.
Megan
I don't think I ever actually finished this the first time that I read it. It's interesting because it's written like a children's book but has like a lot of dark themes and brutal death scenes in it. Odd combination!
Superficial Depth
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in middle school and now as a college student I can say this is still one of my most treasured books I've read.
Angela M.
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Really coool. Tells about Family struggles and the battle for freedom
Karin
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-copies
Just found it again after reading it in Middle school. The only thing I'd remembered was the snake's name. Worth reading.
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 10-13, or anyone wanting a quick-read
A easy to read, well done fantasy book.
Bhuvana
Apr 13, 2017
Justine
Jul 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Humper-Monkey
  • The Book Thieves: The Nazi Looting of Europe's Libraries and the Race to Return a Literary Inheritance
  • The Arab of the Future: A Childhood in the Middle East, 1978-1984: A Graphic Memoir
  • My Friend's A Werewolf