Start by marking “The Pagan Book of Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For Pagans and witches, Halloween, or Samhain, is the most important and sacred holiday--a day to honor the dead and to celebrate the birth of a new year. The number of Wicca practitioners is rapidly growing--especially among young women--and popular media has embraced Paganism on television, in movies, and on the internet. This book guides Wiccans, Pagans, and curious non ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pagan Book of Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pagan Book of Halloween

L.A.
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
If you're cynical, it can certainly seem like everybody and his grandmother has written a book on some aspect of neo-paganism; there are certainly enough of them out there. Dunwich's book hits the sweet spot between floofy woo-woo and serious-scholarly by being a matter-of-fact little manual full of traditions, lore, suggestions for ritual practice and--of course--spells. Call it a Samhain starter kit. That's not a complaint.

Dunwich follows the usual pattern of beginning with a poem, discussing
Julie Decker
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of legends, lore, folk customs, rituals, recipes, and ideas to put Halloween into a Pagan context. There's an attractive shine to some of the old language and presentation of ancient times, but considering some other sources I know, some of the information was myth and some of it was--myth of myth? Some of the descriptions of meanings behind certain symbols and traditions contradict other accounts, and though some of the ideas are fun for old-school down-to-earth Samhai ...more
アレツクス コツト
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a read this was. I was born and raised a Jehovah's Witness and reading this really opened up my mind. I was always told witchcraft was evil and dark and brings in the devil and that Halloween and everything associated with it is bad. This book really cleared up the misinterpretations and misunderstandings about Halloween and the craft. How the old ways came to be and what it's changed into now is fascinating. I enjoyed this book in full and loved the little spells you can perform as wel ...more
Theresa
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Halloween
There's lots of great info on the origins of Halloween, how the customs of things like giving candy, jack o' lanterns and bobbing for apples came about and such. Some of the stuff I already knew but lots of it I didn't. It's a nice little book to put you in the spirit!
Dorothy Weigand
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
The only issue I happened to have (and why I docked a star) was that during later parts of the book, instead of repeating information she'd already given Ms. Dunwich could have just put the page number the information was first on in the book. It was really boring to have to read the same bit of information presented in nearly the same way three or four different times.
Marilyn
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting facts, legends, lore. Some of it will go into a program I'm leading for one of my women's group - October is the month for it!
Swankivy
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Did you know that Halloween's all about doing divination to find out who you're gonna marry? That's like half of this book. It was charmingly old-school, but not that helpful.
Kati
Oct 06, 2008 added it
Didn't get all the way throught it. It was fun to learn about the different myths and traditions of Halloween before it was the way we know it. :)
Robert
Sep 30, 2008 marked it as to-read
This was at the library when we checked out. If the season throws it at you ... why not?

--- Didn't get past the intro. Had to return it to the library.
Necole Salvesen
Oct 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
AWFUL! Couldn't even finish it!
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft
  • Celtic Tree Mysteries: Practical Druid Magic & Divination
Gerina Dunwich is a professional astrologer, occult historian, and New Age author, best known for her books on Wicca and various occult subjects. She is also involved in paranormal research and is the founder of the Paranormal Animal Research Group, which investigates cases of alleged hauntings by animal spirits.

More about Gerina Dunwich...