Start by marking “When the Rainbow Goddess Wept” as Want to Read:
When the Rainbow Goddess Wept

When the Rainbow Goddess Wept

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Brainard's fresh and powerful voice fills a void in Asian-American literature with a novel steeped in the enchantment and suffering of the Filipino people. In the story of nine-year-old Yvonne's flight from the Japanese invasion and her determination to hold fast to her people's myths and legends, Brainard lays bare the real-life drama of World War II's devastating effect ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Plume (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about When the Rainbow Goddess Wept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Rainbow Goddess Wept

Aishe
This book has changed my life, it really has. I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about life in the Philippines during the second world war. It lent me a lens with which to understand my own family history.
Palh
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Booklist, Sept 1, 1994 v91 n1 p22(1)

When the Rainbow Goddess Wept. (book reviews) Kathleen Hughes.

Full Text: COPYRIGHT 1994 American Library Association

Yvonne Macairag is a nine-year-old living in the Philippines during World War II. She plays contentedly with her cousin, Esperanza, and spends quiet evenings on the veranda with her grandfather. Her family life is idyllic. All of this is lost when the Japanese invade the Philippines. Yvonne flees to the jungle, where her father joins the resis
Jim
May 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting mix of coming of age story, historical fiction, and Filipino mythology, as well as a significant dose of the remembrance of American activities, including the brutal fight against native forces during our take over of the country. But here, during WWII, and despite bad feelings of many, the U.S. and Filipino forces ally against the hated Japanese. Told through the eyes of a young daughter of an engineering professor (educated in the U.S.), it reveals some of the trial experienced ...more
Angelina EVHS Cayabyab
This book was fast for me to read since many pages were concise. Although, I was fascinated with how strong Yvonne and many other filipinos were when they were under Japanese conflict. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is mature. This book made me understand what my great grandparents have gone through when they went into hiding in the Philippines during WWII, as told from what my grandparents told me.
Rena Searles
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching account of the coming of age of a young girl living in the Philippine Islands during the second World War. Mixing historical events and the legends and mythology of the islands, this book was graphic in its reality, but also maintained a mystical quality by retelling many of the oral legends passed down from generation to generation. Good read!
Maude
I really liked this book. Set in 1941 Phillipines, the story is told by "nine year old Yvonne who flees with her family into the jungle to join the resistance effort". The story follows the family and friends until the ending of the war. Yvonne is the one who is determined to preserve the ancient legends of the Filipinos, one of whom is the merciful Rainbow Goddess.

Life becomes very difficult under the Japanese. Many Filipinos are killed, including family members and friends There are no outside
Rona Fernandez
This isn't the most literary or mind-blowing book I've read, but the author has succeeded at painting a realistic yet poignant picture of the Philippines during the WWII occupation by the Japanese that made me better understand why my relatives who lived through the war may behave the way they do, even now, in this country. By using the character of Yvonne, a pre-adolescent girl who grows to young womanhood during the course of the book, as her protagonist, Manguerra-Brainerd is able to give us ...more
Eileen
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by: Amazon.com BEST PHILIPPINE FICTION List

Although this book is written about an intense time during Philippine history, the writing style failed to match the period. Again as with all the Filipino authors I've read, the writing was dry, unimaginative, and boring. I am comparing styles with Indian authors who have struggled just as much if not more and have as rich a history as the Philippines. I don't understand why I have not found a Filipino author that matches my taste. Perh
Arthur
Oct 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place in words of a young girl next to her cousin and best friend. Together they survive through the wars and fighting and bombing. Yvonne comes at the beginning of the age, while under the supervision of Laydan, the oldest woman who they knew and understood, crimson to the understanding of life. This story has a complete turn of events the exchange of experiences and stories about epics and the ongoing war.
Jean
Aug 01, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. I thought this book would focus more on Filipino folklore but as I read on I found out that this book was more of a narrative of a family joining the guerillas against the Japanese during World War II. I liked Holthe's "When the Elephants Dance" more for this reason. I don't think the author was as talented in presenting Filipino folklore in such colorful language as Holthe did. Overall, a little disappointed.
Mariah Quiambao
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the Rainbow Goddess Wept by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard was an amazing read which depicts the events of the Japanese invasion of 1941. Yvonne experienced war for the first time help to shape her as a character and understand the imporantce of the events that conclude; story are meant to be told and shared.
Mairi
The narrator is a child during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines during WWII. She finds comfort in epic stories, particularly those of warrior women, to deal with the horrors around her. It was simply told, more YA-leaning than I had expected but still interesting. I'm pretty sure that my reading of this book suffered for having read it right after Broken Verses.
Parnee
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful fictional story from a 10 year old Filipina's perspective during WWII Japanese occupation of the Philippines. With traumatic events surrounding her, Young Yvonne comforts herself with empowering Filipino mythological stories told to her by her housemaid.
Jelly
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a necessary read for school. I'd have to say that it was an okay read. Not the most interesting book, but it could be way worse. However if there was a sequel where Yvonne (the heroine) is a teen, id totally read it.
Celine
Manguerra Brainard paints a vivid picture of the Philippine provinces during the Japanese invasion of WWII. A very beautiful tale of how a young girl becomes a woman while her country is at war.
Kristoffer Castro
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first ever filipino based book i ever read very swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag
John Michael
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • American Knees
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization
  • Hapa Girl: A Memoir
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance
  • Dream Jungle
  • Leche
  • State of War
  • Tropical Fish: Tales from Entebbe
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 6
Cecilia Manguerra Brainard is an award-winning author and editor of nineteen books. She co-founded PAWWA or Philippine American Women Writers and Artists; she also founded Philippine American Literary House. Wikipedia
More about Cecilia Manguerra Brainard...