Start by marking “Shift (Virals, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Shift (Virals, #2.5)

Shift

(Virals #2.5)

Tory's great aunt, Temperance Brennan, visits just in time to investigate a robbery at the Loggerhead Island Research Institute. As a renowned forensic anthropologist, Tempe is obviously qualified to figure out whodunit, but Tory and her Virals pack want to crack the case on their own. Yet the crime is puzzling. Who could have accessed the labs at LIRI, and how could they ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Putnam Publishing Group

Amber
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this short story from the virals universe. When there is a robbery at the LIRI facility on loggerhead island, Tory Brennan and the rest of the virals gang race to solve the mystery first before her dad Kit and her aunt Temperance Brennan gets there first. Be sure to check out this fast-paced read. You'll enjoy it.
Bruce Snell
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short novella (long short story??) is book 2.5 in the Virals series by Kathy Reichs - 4 stars. There has been a break in at the LIRI facility where Tory Brennan's father works leading Tory and the rest of the Virals to investigate. Of course since Tory's aunt Temperance Brennan is visiting, Tory is determined to solve the break in and theft before Tempe does.

This book resolves one of the issues I have had with the series thus far: all the prior books have been told strictly from Tory's poin
Donna
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only YA I am reading lately this series by Kathy Reichs (Bones) & her son Brendan Reichs is a paranormal Nancy Drew type romp.
Tori (Temperance Brennan’s niece) and her friends have accidentally been infected with a genetically engineered virus that has given them each an extra boost in a particular sense (sight, smell etc.) In this short story there has been a break in at the lab where Tori’s dad works while Aunt Temperance is visiting. Who will solve the mystery first?
I've been enjoyi
Steve
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love it! They did each chapter from a different POV, rotating through the primary cast and finishing off with Temperance Brennan. I can't wait for Code to come out in a couple of weeks.
Daisy
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this novella. It was a nice quick read to remind me of Tory and her friends before the new book comes out early next year. I have to admit, the recapping of the previous adventures for people that hadn't read the actual series did get a bit boring after the first few pages, but when that died down I was able to really get into the story and enjoy the novella.

Shift takes place between Seizure and Code. Tory's great aunt Temperance Brennan (the famous anthropologist and protagonist
Wendy
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
In " Shift" an engaging blend of science fiction, the paranormal and forensic science, a laboratory at the Loggerhead Island Research Institute (LIRI) has been broken into and computers and equipment stolen during a power outage for a software upgrade. With no video record of any kind of the smash and grab heist, Kit Howard the new Director of the complex has asked Tory's aunt, Tempe Brennan, a renowned forensic anthropologist to investigate. But this is just the type of puzzling mystery that ha ...more
Megan
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I first became enamored of Kathy Reichs’ writing way back with the first Temperance Brennan novel Deja Dead (which I first came across back in 2001ish). When she offered her readers an offshoot series revolving around the great niece of the brilliant forensic anthropologist that also included a little bit of fantasy mixed in with mystery and crime you can bet that this reader was more than happy to follow her into that new world.

When the Virals series was first published in 2010 I was among that
Matt
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A great little story that bridges two of the full-length books in the Reichs YA series. Bringing the regular characters out to play again, with a cameo appearance by the famed Tempe Brennan, helps shape the story and leaves the reader to fly through the pages and crack the case along with hte VIRALS. When a collection of equipment goes missing, the VIRALS try to solve things, on their own, before the 'adults' can do so. Through their hard work and determination, they piece things together, but w ...more
Claire
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Kathy's Tempe Brennan books, including the Virals series featuring Tempe's great-niece Tory. This novella is Virals book 2.5, which is handy as I've not long read book 2 in the series, although each of Kathy's books can be read as a stand alone too.
Even though Virals is classed as a Young Adults series, I sometimes enjoy an easier read, so have read quite a few YA books.
This novella contained everything a great Virals book needs - intrigue, crime, mystery and the 4 members of the Vi
Michelle
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I love this series, so when I saw that Kathy had written a short story I knew I had to read it. I loved the different points of view, getting to see how each person thinks, reacts to going viral, and how they figure things out in regards to investigation.
The added bonus of seeing Temperance just made it that much worth while to read this book. As usual, the Virals are up to no good, and have decided to investigate a recent break in at LIRI. Using their powers they are able to find the smallest
JayLando
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is super short. I was able to read it within an hour and I am not a fast reader. But it is also a very fun read.

It somewhat requires you to be a fan of the Virals series of Sci-Fi fantasy YA. I am. It also helps to be a fan of Kathy Reichs other series, BONES, which I totally am.

This brief mystery gives you all you need to know about the characters and setting and in a change from the series proper give each character its own voice and chapter including Tempe Brennan who gets to close
Paiten
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story was eat! I love getting the boys' points of view, especially Ben's. It did make me wonder- is Shelton gay? I mean, come on people, he likes One Direction!
Carrie Rogers
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved finally hearing from the guys! Hi is absolutely hilarious and it was good to get something from Ben other than silence and anger.
Nathaniel
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adventure/Mystery lovers
Recommended to Nathaniel by: Quill
I have just finished Shift and tomorrow ima start Code, and I'm really excited! What I really loved about Shift was how you got to read the different perspectives, not just Tory. I really liked how you got Kits and Dr. Tempe. Thats really all.

So, next time I will see you is when I have completed Code.

once again... I really enjoyed something a little different from what I normally read, and I'm super excited to read Code next!
Thank you Kathy Reichs, for making Virals, Seizure, Shock and Shift a g
Dpucci
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, can't get enough of these characters. (I may not be a teen by a long shot, but I enjoyed this book immensely. I may not have had such extreme adventures as a teen, I did, however, have my share of scary times, heartbreaking times, growing pains, resistance to authority, the whole works that a teen goes through as they transition to adult hood, in one form or another. I think I can, fairly, say most of us have. Ms. Reichs captures these emotions and transitions, eloquently, as she tran ...more
Kathy Nealen
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Short e-story chronologically between the second and third novels in this young adult mystery series. This one included Temperance Brennan, the forensic anthropologist in the author's popular adult series. It also provided narrative points of view from multiple characters, instead of restricting it to Tory Brennan as previous episodes had. It was a little bit difficult to get used to but I liked hearing the point of view from the other characters.
Neens Bea
Short and sweet, but not as good as Shock, the short story that acts as a prequel to the series. The constant change of PoV is a little annoying, though it is fun to see things from Hiram’s and Ben’s angle. Shelton isn’t quite as interesting. Adding chapters written from Kit’s and Tempe’s PoV was just overkill, imho.
Danielle Gignac
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun short story that contains a more “normal” mystery to solve. It was neat that all of the main characters had a turn telling their chapter from their own point of view instead of the regular novels which are all told from Tory’s point of view. Also nice to have Tempe Brennan drop in a well!
Twoshay
Cute story

Easy read, funny tale, cute for a kid to have positive role model and tries to do their best to be their best
Lydia
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute little side story. I like getting to read the rest of the pack's POVs.
Ella
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it 💛
Ashley Sabatka
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
LOVED the different view points in this one! Very cool.
Louisa
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short story was nice and sweet, and I loved being in the guy's heads! And those final 2 chapters, being in Kit and Tempe's heads, was so great! Really great short story!
Heather Pearson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, children
good short story. Kinda confusing figuring out who's perspective we were getting in various chapters.
Jenn
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not exactly what I was used to from the virals, but not a bad side story. It was nice getting the perspective of so many of the other characters.
Daniella  Lombardi
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I wish that there was more. Kathy Reichs is AMAZING!!! Best YA author ever. I would recommended all her books! Best series ever.
Ash
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
When reading this series I do think it is nice but necessary to read these short stories written to be in between. They don't always prelude into the next book but it does give a short little different store to do between each longer book. I enjoyed this one.
Christa Lane
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*updated version*

Isn't this a break of fresh air for those who had to wait for Code to come out.

So honestly though I have never seen nor read the series called Bones But I have always heard about it. I mean it is kind of a big deal for Kathy and one of her most popular books and to see that Brennan is related to Tori I was in disbelief. I mean I literally gasped.

description

Then not to mention that the world of real detectives meets the gang? For a girl who loves shows like Law and Order like me that is jus
Brenda
When Tori Brennan’s father, Kit Howard was notified early one morning about the break-in at the Loggerhead Island Research Institute, he was frantic. He had only just been promoted to his current position as Director of the Institute a few weeks earlier, so this break-in was a major headache for him. Visiting him at that time was forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan, his aunt, Tori’s great-aunt. Kit called on Tempe for help in solving the mystery – but Tori decided she and her Virals pack ...more
Davis
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spoiler Free Plot Summary:
Tory's great aunt, Temperance Brennan, visits just in time to investigate a robbery at the Loggerhead Island Research Institute. As a forensic anthropologist, Tempe is obviously qualified to figure out whodunit, but Tory and her Virals pack want to crack the case on their own. Yet the crime is puzzling. Who could have accessed the labs at LIRI, and how could they have gotten the equipment off the island?

Main Character Information:
Tory Brennan: Tory is a brave girl who h
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I'd Kill For That
  • Ghost Town (Saranormal, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • Planesrunner (Everness #1)
  • BZRK: Origins (BZRK, #0.5)
  • Survival (Star Trek: The Next Generation - Starfleet Academy, #3)
  • The Crowsmoor Curse (Mike Travis: Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Nim at Sea (Nim #2)
  • The Night Sweeper (The Sweeper Chronicles #1)
  • Madonna and Corpse (Body Farm #6.5)
  • External Forces (The Laws of Motion #1)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Hilda and the Hidden People
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • In The Mind of Thaddeus (Short Story)
  • Grimm: The Killing Time (Grimm, #3)
  • Atancia (The Durand Duology, #1)
  • Subject Seven (Subject Seven, #1)
Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A ...more

Virals (5 books)